• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Hey everyone and long time no see to the people that know me. Just got starcraft 2 recently. Me being my stupid self didn't realize that my graphics card can't handle this game... so I'm waiting on the wings staring at the box >_>

Speaking of... if anyone know's a good price for one that'd be great. I'm not savvy with electronics and I have no idea if I'm getting jipped or missing a good offer.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Region locking online gameplay on Battle.net was a stupid move too. You can only play against other people in the same country as you. Yes, this may reduce latency issues, but limits you to who you can and cannot play against in the world.

I am disappointed with Blizzard making these decisions but I'm planning on waiting till they release all 3 parts of the game and buying the battle chest edition to save money and get the most value.

D

Deleted member

It is part of Blizzards new DRM scheme to keep players in line. It forces anyone who legitimately purchases the game to login to their Blizzard account if they want to use the full features of their game while pirates sidestep all the hoops that Blizzard has set up for you.

The new scheme is part of a larger set of bad business practices that not only punish the honest while doing nothing to pirates, but is also extremely greedy in that they are releasing an "unfinished" game (less than a third of it) while charging more than full game price. In fact, premium game price.

As stated by F8AL, no Lan support is included, nor can you spawn copies of games for friends, and you can't have multiple logins for household computers. If your wife or kids want to play on their own save, you need to buy a copy for each of them.

This has seriously angered a great many gamers, myself included. What has really angered me is that my brethren in Iraq and Afghanistan who don't have internet connection have bought this game then found out they couldn't play it (I had the same problem with WH4K DoW2 when I was in Iraq). I've decided to not support Blizzard by not buying SC2, emailing the company about my displeasure and actively telling others to do both also.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

C'mon, buy the game. Would love to stomp you.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Region locking online gameplay on Battle.net was a stupid move too. You can only play against other people in the same country as you. Yes, this may reduce latency issues, but limits you to who you can and cannot play against in the world.

I am disappointed with Blizzard making these decisions but I'm planning on waiting till they release all 3 parts of the game and buying the battle chest edition to save money and get the most value.
After much outbursts about that, they did say that they plan to add crossrealm play possibilites sometime after release, tho.

M@v

Subarashii!
so Im pretty positive im going to main terran now. Just won a 2v1 :)

My team mate left from like 5 rines and 4 zeals attacking him. but i made use of his starport and built some vikings, then ***** both of the guys minerals. Then just muscled in with rines/marauders/tanks

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So far, practice league is a joke. I'm really not getting any practice at all because they all lose before I can even get past tier one units. I've won every match so far with just Zealots and Sentries.

rhan

Smash Hero
Practice league is lame. Skip that **** and play real leagues. Honestly the qualifying matches aren't much harder then the practice league. Plus the maps aren't blocked off. SO it's legit.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
practice league is dumb

1 it's on normal speed IIRC, which just irritates me. And I'm like a silver league player so it's not even because i'm good, I just don't like normal.

2, the destructible rocks on each map... I picked terran and reaper harrassed and it was so much more effective, lol.

i'm really bad and skipped it anyway. I just figure it's better for my skill to lose to good people than win against bad people.

If anyone wants to add me, I'm Avarice.563. I main Protoss and occasionally use Terran. As aforementioned, I'm like bronze-silver league material so don't expect too much from me.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I haven't done any team matches. 1v1s all the way, lol.

I'm still working on my placement matches. I haven't even bought the game yet lol I'm still using my friend's guest passes.

rhan

Smash Hero
I played 4v4 for the first time and we've got a **** good team on our hands. We played like 4 rounds of placement and lost one. I think we could make Platinum easy. Gold for sure. Me and my 2v2 partner Shaeman111 are in silver but we're like top 20 trying to make it out.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I got to gold league after my placements last night, and the most hilarious part was that 3 of my 4 wins were the same match-up, map, and strategy.

PvP, Desert Oasis, Void Ray + Gateway units 2-pronged push.

M@v

Subarashii!
Avarice ***** me last night. I should of went straight to marauders and no marines, but I was afraid he might pull a zealot rush <__<

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So, I skipped the practice league and played my five placement matches with a "if I get a low league, that's fine, good practice. If I get a high league, that's cool too" attitude. I ended up in silver. So I tried one silver league match just to see how big of a difference there is.

I won with one unit. One void ray.

M@v

Subarashii!
Trust me everyone in silver league isn't that bad. I'm in silver too. The ones that are good are legit. Should probably be in gold, but if I keep winning it should bump me up

rhan

Smash Hero
So, I skipped the practice league and played my five placement matches with a "if I get a low league, that's fine, good practice. If I get a high league, that's cool too" attitude. I ended up in silver. So I tried one silver league match just to see how big of a difference there is.

I won with one unit. One void ray.
Cuz Void Rays are still broke. You should have seen them in the Beta. Thier range was so much greater.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Trust me everyone in silver league isn't that bad. I'm in silver too. The ones that are good are legit. Should probably be in gold, but if I keep winning it should bump me up
I just looked up the guy who I did this to. He's in gold now, ranked in the top 20 (I forget exactly where).

It was obviously a fluke, I just thought it was funny. Looking at the replay, he could have easily recovered as well. He ended up quitting, but he had, like, 1,200 minerals and a base I didn't know about. It was just really funny to see him go "gg" from one unit.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
How's the UMS map scene of Battle.net so far? I haven't got the game yet, but given the advanced scenario editor, I'd expect some pretty boss custom maps to start appearing before too long.

rhan

Smash Hero
Ewwwwwwwwwwww UMS

The only UMS game I would play would be Cat n Mouse cuz that game was funny as ****. But everything else is just meh.

But I have seen some TD games already created. And the game developers created Chesscraft. lol But those are the only UMS games I know about.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Personally, I'm all about the custom maps. I bought WC3 specifically for the custom maps. I only got into the actual Starcraft in 2008.

Right now I'm waiting for someone to recreate Wintermaul Wars.
There are a few fun maps out now. Basically it's all TDs and survival games. The custom content is just getting started, so I'm looking forward to what people do later on. There is a lot of potential to make some amazing stuff with the map editor. Someone already made a side-scroller.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Avarice ***** me last night. I should of went straight to marauders and no marines, but I was afraid he might pull a zealot rush <__<
3-gate robo is like the only build I know how to do vs. Terran in like early-mid game lol. If it lasts to late game I usually try to go HTs (and lose because of lack of experience), although I might try some DT builds in early-mid game but I dunno the timings lol. I'm always afraid to go VRs because of Marines.

I also had a pylon at the Xelnaga tower and an expansion up, so even if that push failed I felt really confident about the game. I didn't really **** you, just had slightly more units + expo

in other news Phoenixes are amazing vs. Zerg.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Can anyone tell me the basic tech priority for Protoss? Here's the way I've been playing, basically:

9 - Pylon
13 - Gateway
14 - 1st gas
16 - Pylon
18 - Cybernetics
23 - Zealot, warpgate research, pylon
26ish - Robotics

From there I get a little army going, send it out. This is where I need help. The game goes one of two ways. That little army either wins, or they all die. If they all die, I get lost. I work on rebuilding an army, but I have no idea what to tech to next. Should I go for Void Rays at this point? Dark Templars? Forge? No clue.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
@ Melo, tbh past 26 supply I don't know exact numbers. What I do really differs from match-up to match-up (I only know like one or two good builds per match-up and even then I don't KNOW the builds I just know what to get lol).

In general, for a 3-gate Robo build, what I usually do is around the build order you put. Depending on the map/match-up I may get my first Zealot before Cybernetics. I get to the point where I have 1 gate producing units and my Robo, and around the halfway point of warp gate researching I build 2 more gateways so the warp gate tech and gateways finish at the same time. Around the time my warp gates finish and I reinforce I push out. Usually I have 2 Immortals in the mix by the time I push out.

Things I like to do:
-Get some sort of map control before pushing out. Usually I get an Observer before Immortals unless I messed up somewhere and don't have the money/want to push earlier, so I know what they're doing. However I like putting a proxy pylon somewhere closer to them on large maps. On maps like Lost Temple I put a probe at the Xelnaga Tower and make him build a pylon, so I know if he's pushing out and there's shorter warp distance for quicker reinforcements.
-I think shortly after the time I push out I have enough for an expansion
-If I'm in the process of getting my expansion up but don't have it up, I try to just poke around with those units. Sometimes I just park them in the middle of the map somewhere.

After this against Terran, I usually try to tech up to HTs. Protoss I honestly have no clue (forge+more gateways maybe? lol), and Zerg I usually go Phoenixes and don't go robo anyway. I feel like the easiest tech switches out of that push are Collosi or HTs, or you could go for more gateway units + blink stalkers or chargelots. I usually add a forge when my second expansion's kinda saturated.

i hope that rambling kinda helped. I honestly haven't played enough games to tell to be honest though. Most of my games go into mid-game at the latest and that's all I've practiced really from YABOT.

edit: Melo, what's your friend info?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah, it definitely helped.

I'm going to experiment more with getting a Void Ray out quickly. Every match I've played where I got a Void Ray out quick, I won. I'm just not sure how reliable it is to rush it. I'm thinking that I'll go for the build I've been doing (as described), and as I make the push, I'll start getting Void Rays out.

By friend info, you just need my email, right? It's urbangrind@comcast.net

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah, it definitely helped.

I'm going to experiment more with getting a Void Ray out quickly. Every match I've played where I got a Void Ray out quick, I won. I'm just not sure how reliable it is to rush it. I'm thinking that I'll go for the build I've been doing (as described), and as I make the push, I'll start getting Void Rays out.

By friend info, you just need my email, right? It's urbangrind@comcast.net
If someone scouts what you're doing it shouldn't be that hard to bum rush you and have you GG first.

Also you don't have to give your email. If you hover over your portrait then you get your player code. Which consists of 3 numbers. It's better then spamming your email. From there you just tell people your name and the code.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If someone scouts what you're doing it shouldn't be that hard to bum rush you and have you GG first.

Also you don't have to give your email. If you hover over your portrait then you get your player code. Which consists of 3 numbers. It's better then spamming your email. From there you just tell people your name and the code.
My plan isn't to try and rush the void ray ASAP. Just work towards void rays immediately after my initial push, assuming my initial push happens instead of just keeping those units at the base.

Hm... I'm going to go find that...

...Melo 697

shanus

Smash Hero
Can anyone tell me the basic tech priority for Protoss? Here's the way I've been playing, basically:

9 - Pylon
13 - Gateway
14 - 1st gas
16 - Pylon
18 - Cybernetics
23 - Zealot, warpgate research, pylon
26ish - Robotics

From there I get a little army going, send it out. This is where I need help. The game goes one of two ways. That little army either wins, or they all die. If they all die, I get lost. I work on rebuilding an army, but I have no idea what to tech to next. Should I go for Void Rays at this point? Dark Templars? Forge? No clue.
Thats a very slow build for gate and first units, any zerg or T could have a field day against this.

Try out 8 pylon / chrono 2 probe -> 10 or 11 gate -> if zerg with early pool zealot, else cyber, -> anything

<- diamond toss :)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Thats a very slow build for gate and first units, any zerg or T could have a field day against this.

Try out 8 pylon / chrono 2 probe -> 10 or 11 gate -> if zerg with early pool zealot, else cyber, -> anything

<- diamond toss :)
Really? Everywhere else I've ever checked suggested a really similar build to what I'm doing (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248415452, http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah69S-TsQa8, etc, etc). I've never heard of 8 pylon or 10/11 gate.

Fletch

Smash Master
I'm thinking of buying a tower just to play this game, does anyone have any cheap suggestions?

shanus

Smash Hero
Really? Everywhere else I've ever checked suggested a really similar build to what I'm doing (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248415452, http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah69S-TsQa8, etc, etc). I've never heard of 8 pylon or 10/11 gate.
8 pylon is for a fast 10gate, it comes out fairly even to 9 but i can get things up and running a bit faster. I usually use it against zerg in proxy positions as I've been burned before or if im aiming for an early push

As you see on TL, there are a lot of 10gate openings. Also watch some of day9tv and watch matches as Tester or WhiteRA or a few others for great openings

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
8 pylon is for a fast 10gate, it comes out fairly even to 9 but i can get things up and running a bit faster. I usually use it against zerg in proxy positions as I've been burned before or if im aiming for an early push

As you see on TL, there are a lot of 10gate openings. Also watch some of day9tv and watch matches as Tester or WhiteRA or a few others for great openings
I see. I'll give it a shot some time for sure.

As for now, I've been trying the generic 4 gate build, and it's working wonders. The only time it didn't work is when I got lazy and got supply locked for a little too long. Other than those situations, I really like the build. Has flexibility, is easy to do, can lead into many other builds (I usually just go from there to void rays).

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
so vs. terran (as protoss) how do I handle their MMM ball?

Usually I try to get chargelots + sentries (either after my expansion because I opened with 3-gate robo or foregoing the robotics and doing it earlier) so I can try to put forcefields behind their army at a choke and come in with my chargelots (although I have bad micro and sometimes forget about map positioning so this doesn't always happen lol). However, with Medivacs thrown in the mix, dealing with this becomes a lot harder. Do I make my sentries target those, or do I throw in a couple stalkers in the mix, or what? Is there a window of time beforehand where he shouldn't have as many Medivacs where I can approach his army?

If someone could explain the basics of Terran's MMM ball (what they like to do, what the Medivacs heal, around how long it takes to get to a good mass, what units to best deal with it, etc) or even a Marine-Marauder ball, that'd be awesome.

shanus

Smash Hero
I see. I'll give it a shot some time for sure.

As for now, I've been trying the generic 4 gate build, and it's working wonders. The only time it didn't work is when I got lazy and got supply locked for a little too long. Other than those situations, I really like the build. Has flexibility, is easy to do, can lead into many other builds (I usually just go from there to void rays).
What your lacking though is flow / synergy. In most situations defaulting to VRs at that point will likely be a bad idea.

If your against zerg, they'll like have gone some mix including hydras or muta/ling in which case your VR transition won't do all that much. Additionally your losing any synergy upgrades from your forge which should have been going earlier on. VRs are a great opener, and use in late game can happen, but its not something you should routinely transition to. Collosus are just so much tastier.

@AvaricePanda

MMM ball depends on timing. If you harass and shoot back and forth, having stalkers is a must. I actually prefer stalkers to chargelots until later game, but if you are able to progress to Collosus thats the single best solution to a MMM ball (psi storm is great as well, but much harder to use). Make sure to get thermal lance so that your collos are actually good. Then use force fields to separate their army in half, or trap them from behind so they can't stim + kite you with their marauders.

Lobos

Smash Master
Not pro... but I play zerg on a team.

I cant get my own SC2 copy running though.. so I just mooch off of people I know. What do you need help with?
Basics on what to do in 1v1 or 2v2s.....I know what to do for like the first 7-10mins but after that I don't know what I should be upgrading or getting

rhan

Smash Hero
Depends on what race you're playing against and what their build is. Also you don't make it every clear when you say "know what to do". Many things can be done in the first 10 minutes of a game. You could have rushed and harassed or vice versa.

Top Bottom