• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Cost-for-cost, Marines can probably take on the Marauders, since they're half the price in minerals and supply. People often don't realize that counters stop working when there's just way too much **** being thrown at them, though.

M@v

Subarashii!
I never said don't build marines. When you have extra minerals I'm assuming your getting marines(or hellions vs zerg) since they are so **** versatile. If you have way more mins then gas, throw down a reactor barracks.

Btw, if you use the banshee strat, the first thing you should kill in their base is not the econ, but the starport, because it can make the best banshee counters(raven/vikings)

rhan

Smash Hero
Cost-for-cost, Marines can probably take on the Marauders, since they're half the price in minerals and supply. People often don't realize that counters stop working when there's just way too much **** being thrown at them, though.
That's true enough. I'm going to screw around with some TvT stuff.

I never said don't build marines. When you have extra minerals I'm assuming your getting marines(or hellions vs zerg) since they are so **** versatile. If you have way more mins then gas, throw down a reactor barracks.

Btw, if you use the banshee strat, the first thing you should kill in their base is not the econ, but the starport, because it can make the best banshee counters(raven/vikings)
I think destroying the econ is going to be more effective int he long run. Cuz then they're falling behind on money and have to build more workers. But after one takes out the econ, moving onto the Starport should be the next thing to do.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you run early Banshee (or maybe two) without cloak researched yet, hunting the worker line is better. If you managed to mass four or more Banshees with cloak before revealing their tech, going for the Starport should come first so that you can guarantee the crippling of their worker line for that much longer.

rhan

Smash Hero
So I just did what ya'll told me. And I RAAAAAPED another Terran! I scouted his 2 racks and was like... I'm gonna siege up and get those Banshees that these guys were talking about. Lost Temple is hella rigged for those too. They just sit a top the ledge at the mineral line and just do work from there. I bypassed 2 turrets by going around on the ledge.

111 build is legit.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
destiny cloudfist build ftw

in other news, I made it into Platinum league and I still don't even have this game. lololol guest accounts, going to my friend's house, and watching a bunch of VoDs/day9 dailies.

All of my placement matches were long macro games except for the last one I lost (I tried to forge FE against protoss on blistering sands because I pulled it off in my first placement, but I botched up the timings severely and the guy said he was a diamond player so lolol). I love those games at my friend's house but I'm like "meh" on my computer here because my computer's poopy and more units = more lag. PvP and PvT's bearable to me, but PvZ OH GOD CREEP FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 2 seconds input delay.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I make no income, all I do is go to school and I live off of money from birthdays/christmas. $10 is indeed a lot to me, expansions I got for stuff in the past were all waiting for birthdays etc. This year for my birthday I didn't get anything. I'm in the red right now.

DLC and everything is costing more money that Activision got their hands on and it's going to continue to follow that trend. Sad..

I really want to play this but I'm not going to buy it until it's cheaper. Look at Modern Warfare 2, how long as that been out? How close is the next CoD game and MW2 is still at full retail price.

Zone

Smash Champion
What's better than mass hyrdas?

Mass hydras with mass medevac backup of course.

:D
lol, in a 3v3, Me and my zerg friend went mass mutas and lings. and the other guy was terran. He just made nothing but dropships. and followed our mutas

we wiped out their whole army, losing only like 4 mutas, and then wiped out their turret infested base lol.

we had like 14 mutas each so 28 (still pumping).

getting to this point is very risky though as early game time push woulda wrecked us. But just seeing mutas wreck an army at little cost was very amusing.

M@v

Subarashii!
it was me, my friend, and rhan. friend went mass hyrdras(rhan got hit hard early), and i just massed medevacs for him.

Btw, everyone in platinum is so ****ing good ;_;. Either I lose, or barely win. I dont even want to face a diamond player until I start winning consistently.

I lost my first terran ditto in like the past 20.....I'm not even exaggerating or trying to sound cocky.

btw still losing to zerg :D......

:(

I think the only way im going to get over this hurdle is to watch vids.

*watches vids*

rhan

Smash Hero
it was me, my friend, and rhan. friend went mass hyrdras(rhan got hit hard early), and i just massed medevacs for him.

Btw, everyone in platinum is so ****ing good ;_;. Either I lose, or barely win. I dont even want to face a diamond player until I start winning consistently.

I lost my first terran ditto in like the past 20.....I'm not even exaggerating or trying to sound cocky.
Those medivacs were amazing xD

And I got hit early but 5 racks reaper isn't legit if scouted. lol I maintained by myself. I took most of the blows and ya'll had all the time in the world to mass up. I served my purpose. lmao

Those games were fun. Though getting placed in dead last bronze and we went 4-1 didn't really make much sense...

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I think it's funny how much people use builds after pros use them. 5-rax reaper was pretty uncommon IIRC, then Morrow beats IdrA and everybody goes 5-rax reaper in TvZ. Or now after Day9's Daily about Protoss macro styles, a bunch of toss I play (and myself) are doing some pure gateways to pretty early expands.

M@v, I want to play you with my OTHER guest pass lol. I love PvT, it's my favorite match-up. PvZ is fun but creep super lags me, and PvP....no.

(and we're both platinum now!)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
medivacs + broodlords are my favorite

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Finally, I got the game. I'm working through story mode right now, and it's been pretty good. I really hate how story Zerg (and even to an extent Protoss) are overpowered compared to Teran early on. I also despise how much the missions are essentially timed via objectives. I just want to play, dammit.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm not saying the ending wasn't good. lol I just hated it.. *Trying to keep it spoiler free*

I've played story mode up to all of Tosh's missions. I stopped for a bit to rank up. Btw rank 5 in Platinum now. It's too easy...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I went through campaign on casual since I'm interested in the storyline, so now I have to replay it in normal/hard/brutal if I want all the achievements lol.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
when im in a game, i tend to think about what a commentator would be saying about my actions to help me play better

rhan

Smash Hero
When I'm in game.. I hear my friends voice yelling at me...

"WHY AREN'T YOU SPENDING YOUR MONEY!?!?"

"Shutup bish!"

*Spam barracks*

*Mass Marines*

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Yup, words to live by:

If you have too few resources, you will lose.

If you have too many resources, you will lose.

You really gotta keep that financial stream steady.

Lobos

Smash Master
I'm trying to do some 2v2,3v3, or 4v4 with you guys. I have like friends in diamond, a couple in platium, a few in gold and silver.....while I'm in bronze......although in 2v2 im in platinum and silver in 3v3 lol

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm going to hit Diamond soon for 1v1's and 2v2's. I'll play 3's/4's but I won't take them too seriously.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yup, words to live by:

If you have too few resources, you will lose.

If you have too many resources, you will lose.

You really gotta keep that financial stream steady.
I'm not sure I've heard of people losing for having too few resources, unless it's due to:
- queueing units
- not making enough workers
- not expanding and starving out

rhan

Smash Hero
Abandon your rush and tech up to Muta? Or if the stage has a back door break the rocks and screw with him that way.

OR BETTER YET! Bangling bust the block. I forget that SC2 is much easier for Zerg to get through the block.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think Baneling Bust is nearly as effective against a bunker wall.

rhan

Smash Hero
According to the help menu in the game... Bunkers are weak against Banglings, Siege Tanks, and Colloss.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The Baneling Bust is often an all-in tactic, as it needs five successful hits to break a Supply Depot, and it needs to be early enough to not get shut down by Siege Tanks.

This is fine against a Barracks/Supply Depot wall, because units have to fire from behind the structures and the Supply Depot is rather weak. Against Bunkers, units are firing right from the choke and they get a +1 range bonus from the Bunker, in addition to needing six instead of five hits to break through, meaning you'll need a lot more Banelings and thus fewer Zerglings available.

Banelings are fine against a single Bunker being used to protect an expansion.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I just got 2gate rushed three games in a row. Really ****ing annoying.

I still don't know how to counter this other than... 2gate faster than him. By the time I even scout it (I scout on 9), he's already probably building the first gateway. I was thinking of probe rushing his proxy pylon/gateway before he gets a zealot out, but that just sounds bad, haha.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
i dont like doing baneling busts, i just FE and out econ the terran

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I doubt I've played the best opponents (only in Platinum lol) but I usually just try to go 1-gate + forge and cannon at my ramp to counter this. On narrow ramp maps like Steppes or Xel'naga I can go a standard opener (1-gate to core) and have my sentry FF the ramp to split his zealots, but....I'm not the best at that and it often doesn't work lol.

The times I do get it to work though, since I've teched faster than him I usually have a window of opportunity where Void Rays are really potent.

I feel like mid-late game Dark Templars in PvP (and probably other match-ups) are really good, at least at my level. The problem I always had with DTs was usually that I was dumb and only had one observer over his base, so by the time I saw any cloaked unit and got it back or made another one, my probes were dead. On some maps like Steppes I don't see this working as much, but for example on Scrap Station there's a lot of places you can put a proxy pylon and run in DTs when you see him push out or get ready to expand to catch him off position.

Top Bottom