• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
my bad, my smashboards tab is usually open but when smashboards went down a little while ago I closed it and forgot about the tourney

Ill play whenever. If Im already DQ'd its not a big deal

M@v

Subarashii!
I took a leap of faith and finished my placement matches. I'm in platinum right now, and I have no idea how to hold off harass/all-ins/cheeses as protoss. Can anyone help w/ what to do about 3rax, 7rr, and banshees?
You got to learn to early scout and be able to judge what they are up to. Its impossible to have an early build without scouting that can counter all 3 of these.

With protoss, get an early stalker and "test the front"

testing the front means you see what the opponent has on the ramp, and if you know what your looking at, can tell you exactly what they are up to.

Key sign of a 3 rax: Marines and marauders but no bunker.

Key sign of a 7RR: No early zerglings, 2 at most, but most important no zergling speed. If you can get inside and spot the early roach warren even better.

Key sign of a banshee rush: bunker at top of the ramp with marines only. Wall in is optional. They wil have an early second gas geyser as well.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
M@v lets play when u get ur comp.

I'll be on a lot tonight, does anyone want to play? i do 1v1 and 2s and 3s, no 4s.

I won my two slightly favored today, hopefully i'll get promoted soon. 1 was vs a zerg who tried a 1 base roach all in. I did 14 hatch 14 pool and held with speedlings and 1 spine. From there I just droned up and teched and used my econ lead to give him no options. The other was a random player who got T, i did 15 hatch ~17 pool (really greedy) and just traded efficiently and such. I dont think his macro was that good tho, his first (and only) attack on me was basically 2 drops of marines and i was already saturated on 2 bases with mutas coming, 8 banes and 20 lings chilling.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
so ive played 1000+ games this season
Consistently beating masters and favored players
Making sure to always have at least a 1:1 record for the day before I log off
Still diamond rank 1

I wish I knew what the hell this game wants from me

M@v

Subarashii!
Sure I'll play Sveet; Just a warning Imma be rusty as hell because I haven't touched the game since april.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wont take it too serious, friendlies status.

edit- also, sorry i couldnt make it to HOPE3, i was really looking forward to it.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
I was last season. This season I got placed in diamond first and the game refuses to promote. Ive been #1 for a while now and have been winning alot, idk what the deal is. And if your gonna say dont worry ima be promoted soon keep in mind the ****ton of games

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I was last season. This season I got placed in diamond first and the game refuses to promote. Ive been #1 for a while now and have been winning alot, idk what the deal is. And if your gonna say dont worry ima be promoted soon keep in mind the ****ton of games
If you have a 1:1 ratio, you're exactly where you need to be right now.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
did you use to not do so hot?

i started playing ladder a week ago and only the last few days did i start winning consistently against masters. then when i beat 10 in a row i was really getting confused why i still hadn't been promoted and a player explained to me that it was because the first half of the week when i was shaking off rust i was getting beaten up A LOT and i had to play catch up.

Allied

Smash Master
Any protoss players would like to play, looking to train more

diamond league terran

:D

ss118

Smash Master
To the poster above, I like your name.<3

I don't post on these forums a lot but I do whenever I feel like it. I've been playing SC2 for a while and I've been getting really into the game. I started off maining Zerg, but as time goes on I find myself so interested in all three races that I really want to go trying to use random.

I am only really a silver level player at the moment, so getting to a point where I can hit higher levels isn't affected by my ability to abuse zerg, but I feel more with my weakness in mechanics in general.

Also, I've never been 100% set in stone for using zerg. I love them and I probably will end up using them, but they feel like you need to understand the game to use. And I feel like using the other races anyway. =P

So what I thought that I would do is have a general plan for what I want to do in all of the match-ups. I like to play an economic style, and I also want to have fun. ^_^'

[COLLAPSE="Terran vs Zerg"]I want to open with a fast Command Center and tech fast into banshee with cloak. I will get out two banshees and a raven from the starport for early pressure and scouting; once the raven is out, I will switch into production of a Marine/ Ghost(again, cloak)/ Tank/ Medivac core. The single raven will be used for battles to pick observers; if there are no observers, my ghosts and banshees will wreck everything.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Terran vs Protoss"]After watching Day9's hardcore TvP analysis, I really want to try using his build which uses Marine/ Marauders as the attacking force and using basic Protoss timings as a point for attacks. It revolves around getting an early CC with a single reaper for harass+scouting, a lot of barracks, and upgrades for infantry.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Terran vs Terran"]5 rax pressure into expansion. I don't know anything about TvT so fun ideas can be suggested here.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Protoss vs Zerg"]Forge FE into quick stargate and then a massive gateway army with Collosus... aka MC.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Protoss vs Protoss"]3 Gate Blink stalkers. If I want to pump up the aggro I go for a 4th gateway and continue to pump stalkers, and when I calm down I pump some sentries and go for an expansion into more gateways and continue the stalker aggression.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Protoss vs Terran"]I go for a decently fast expansion off of three gates and get two forges for quick upgrades while also getting Charge and Blink. When I have 2/2 and those, I go and kill him with Zealots and Stalkers.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Zerg vs Protoss"]I want to go with an expansion heavy style that uses a Ling/Baneling/Infestor composition with 2/2 upgrades so that a single baneling will kill probes. AKA Morrow.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Zerg vs Terran"]Again, expansion heavy with heavy Zergling play. Tech to mutas to have a heavy counter-attack style of army, keeping the opponent pinned in his base long enough to tech to muta to kill him.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Zerg vs Zerg"]Overpool is a surprisingly economic build; combined with the faster speed I may be able to straight-up kill off an opponent that gets greedy with an expansion. Even if that is not the case, it leaves me with room to safely expand; once I'm on two bases, drone up to a reasonable amount and go with mass roach and hit a timing push with +2 attack. Still unsure about this... I hate all of the ditto match-ups.[/COLLAPSE]

ss118

Smash Master
I think the idea is to use the extractor trick to get 11/10 workers, make an overlord when you can, and then just make a pool asap. Personally I like getting speed as soon as the pool finishes, so I would probably adjust the timings to account for that.

And I just saw day9's "Steal this build" session with Slush's ZvZ, where he actually goes for a late pool and a spine crawler with two queens to act defensively while teching up to Infestors. The idea behind this is that you are protected against most aggressive builds, and after you have 22 drones you can shift into max Zergling production and force your opponent into an arms race by relying on your defenses to stop any attacks on your bases while your zerglings position themselves for counter-attacks. Once infestors come out, you should have burrow an immediately head to your opponent's base. This build seems very friendly in terms of macro and micro, and seems like a lot of fun.

It's annoying that day9 makes me want to do WHATEVER he talks about instantly. He's so enthusiastic about the game and is so wise in it..... <3 him

ss118

Smash Master
Yeah I like Slush's build. Ima steal that! xD

Also since I have your attention have any ideas for TvT? I saw someone using some 4OC opening, but I feel that TvT might be too aggressive for me to get away with that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Im in love with ghosts, so anything with those guys. Ghost opening ***** marine-based and banshee openings.

ss118

Smash Master
I know that off one base you can support a single barracks turning out only ghosts; is TvT a metagame where expanding early on is consistently viable? I know that in PvP it can end up with your opponent being able to kill you off quickly, and in ZvZ it's 50/50 depending on micro and the build order of the opponent.

Or is having only one barracks pumping ghosts enough?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i think you only need a couple ghosts. And yeah, early expanding is pretty common. I think the two most common builds in the GSL are marine expand and banshee tech (expanding after). Most of the time the CC is built in the base and floated when its safe.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Omg I hope you guys saw the interview with mc when he played seleCT

Funniest thing ive seen in a long time

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What times? The NASL site isnt giving me schedule information.

edit- i think finals are going on right now. WATCHINGGGGGG

Top Bottom