• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Nicole

Smash Champion
lol why is overswarm still using custom stages what a *****lips
yes. there are custom stages, which can be struck. i know this is an annoyance, however, i dont think that they will be played on a ton, and i also don't think three stages should determine whether we want to go or not. i think custom stages are gay, but i dont have a problem with TOs experimenting with them in hopes of making the game better. norfair causes me much greater concern.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I wouldn't let rules determine whether or not I attend a tourney (unless its something ridiculous mk ban lol) But I can't go to this either way

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
i'm feeling crappy but more decent than before-- if people still want to come over tonight, that should be fine. just not too late, i will probably finish up earlier than usual.

steve, bring your SF4 stick or i will kill you.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
you forgot ubers
don't use ubers
they are teh ghey
ubers are a good way to handicap against good/more experienced players

also for the lols I don't think having 1 uber on a team would kill the other team's chances unless it was a weather fukcker

most of the ubers are legendary so likely they dont have super IVs or good natures(no breeding)

Binyan/Jeremy are you guys free to play tomorrow?
I'm done with class at 1:00pm

Lady Gaga rock band track pack is very fun BTW. unfortunately whenever I hear Poker Face I think of Brian Wang's version now : (

Tmacc

Smash Lord
To all the pokemon discussions: lets battttttttle sometime! :D Godd discussions. Sorry I haven't been here to respond to them...

In regards to NKv3: tourny sucked and was poorly run and overly hyped. but I learned and improved so, so much from it, and am very happy I went. I also played the best in brackets I've played thus far of my three tournaments, so I was very pleased (Fogo was a main reason for this)!

In regards to SMYM: 120 people???? That's legit.

In regards to Will's on going sickness: learn some tech skill, son! Naww, but seriously, get better soon.

In regards to Lexington: I'm down, Nicole. =)

I haven't had access to the compooters forever lololol.

Teh Future

Smash Master
lol so apparently if I make the GAYEST looking signature of all time I will get better at smash. Worked for HoF4gMantrail at least mirite lolololloloooooooooool

Cook

Smash Master
Just so you guys know, I can't go to the KY tournament because of an Easter thing. I figured I should announce that so that people aren't wanting to go just for the chance of playing me.

Also, Mentok, I was thinking the same thing about having just one uber.

Blitzbolt_

Smash Cadet
Binyan/Jeremy are you guys free to play tomorrow?
I'm done with class at 1:00pm
not at all. my wednesdays are looooong.

also for the lols I don't think having 1 uber on a team would kill the other team's chances unless it was a weather fukcker
if it's for the lolz and as a handicap to a more experienced player, then sure, but for two decent players, it would pretty much kill the other team's chances.

also, shoddy battle works at wash u again! it stopped working for the longest time. but it seems no one here does that, so... oh well.

Nuris

Smash Lord
if it's for the lolz and as a handicap to a more experienced player, then sure, but for two decent players, it would pretty much kill the other team's chances.

also, shoddy battle works at wash u again! it stopped working for the longest time. but it seems no one here does that, so... oh well.
Jeremy! Put Shoddy Battle on my computer and teach me how to use it and I will play with you all the time!! :D

Also I definitely agree with you about the Ubers thing. While almost any Pokemon (even UU and NU ones) can be a beast in the right hands, it's just too easy for a player with even a little experience to tear apart OU teams with an Uber sweeper, or stop a boosted OU sweeper in it's tracks with a monstrous Uber wall, or set-up a ridiculous baton pass or entry hazards or blahblahblah. I guess it really depends, but I feel for a small to moderate gap in skill level, an Uber would heavily tip the balance in favor of the user, and for a larger gap or really just an Uber in a noob's hands wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Then again I'm a huuuge noob and Pokemon. I've never even battled anyone on my game, Shoddy Battle, or otherwise. I really have no explanation as to why I have any knowledge about the competitive aspect of the game at all.

On a Smash-related note, I'm relatively free this whole week and weekend, but my girlfriend is in town until Sunday so I wouldn't want to play too long at a time. She wants to play with us though even though she doesn't know the basics of using a Gamecube controller lol. She'll probably also bring her DS with Heart Gold which would keep her occupied for a good 2-3 hours if anyone wants to play this week or weekend.

Though I'm currently procrastinating/brainstorming, I am writing an essay about this thread using Kyle's 10,000th post as a centerpiece. Did you know he quoted himself over 20% of the time, which is more than three times as much as the second place finisher? Talk about self-centered!

Why are my posts so long these days? aaaahhhh I'm such a nerd.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
ok so i new a few things about the pokemons, but i just tried reading about IV and i think my brain may have exploded

Nuris

Smash Lord
ok so i new a few things about the pokemons, but i just tried reading about IV and i think my brain may have exploded
mmm braaaains

come learn how to play with me! we will become pokeemanz mastererzzz

Blitzbolt_

Smash Cadet
Jeremy! Put Shoddy Battle on my computer and teach me how to use it and I will play with you all the time!! :D
haha, there's not much, but sure! and you learn much faster with shoddy than with in-game.

btw, i beat the currently ranked 17 person in a ladder match (OU, of course) the other day. =O i'm getting better!

Nicole

Smash Champion
LOL. IVs are a *****. Have fun breeding A MILLION of whatever you want...Worst part of pokemon. I think it's easier in the new gold and silver though. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

I'd do monthlies.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
If I held a smash/rockband/pokemon fest next Friday would anyone be interested? OMG brawlpro!!!?!? where have you been?
Next Friday as in 3/26? I won't be back in St. Louis until this Sunday.

If they could have Melee at these monthlies, maybe I can fit one more in before I quit for real.

BTW Geno these are the Mango Fox videos we were talking about if you haven't seen them.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263874

This one in particular is just: :dizzy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlkaDMiIpys&feature=related

Cook

Smash Master
I'd def do monthlies. But it would be lame if it was just locals. Well, it'd be about like Aerial Raves.

Trent

Smash Champion
If I had 4 other smashers to go with me I would totally go to monthlies.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure Silver might be quitting Brawl, and there's no other Nebraska brawlers that go out of state..

I should practice running at 75 MPH.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I'd def do monthlies. But it would be lame if it was just locals. Well, it'd be about like Aerial Raves.
thats the idea.

btw I got a new phone because me old one literally disappeared, so I lost all my contacts and ****. gimme a text to get yo numbers back plex

Nicole

Smash Champion
Most monthlies are just locals. The lame thing for us that other states don't have to worry about is that there are only like...6 of us. Other states have like...12. Or more.

This is why I tried to get everyone to be interested in the KY tournament, since it's only 5 hours away (I mean, that is pretty close by MO standards). I mean, I'll give up on pushing that though....but we should TRY to go to close tournaments more often. We'll get better faster if we're able to play against people we don't always play against.

Trent

Smash Champion
Most monthlies are just locals. The lame thing for us that other states don't have to worry about is that there are only like...6 of us. Other states have like...12. Or more.

This is why I tried to get everyone to be interested in the KY tournament, since it's only 5 hours away (I mean, that is pretty close by MO standards). I mean, I'll give up on pushing that though....but we should TRY to go to close tournaments more often. We'll get better faster if we're able to play against people we don't always play against.
If only we had teleportation to go to tournnaments..

Or could run really fast

Teh Future

Smash Master

there are a lot more than 6 people in stl that play brawl

Nicole

Smash Champion
there are a lot more than 6 people in stl that play brawl
i agree, but are there a lot more than 6 that have interest in tournaments?

correct me if i'm wrong, everyone on the stl boards. i didnt' think travel time + dead weekend was the only reason that people didn't go to tournaments.

you, corey, will, rauleen, tmacc, steve, maybe jack...that's all the stl people who MIGHT be interested in this. i'm not sure about corey. if me and andrew come to every monthly (which we probably will, barring unfortunate circumstances), then that'll still be about 8 - 9 people. pretty small *** tournament.

Teh Future

Smash Master
the whole point of doing monthlies is to grow the local scene. There are quite a few wi-fi/AiB players that dont play with us that still play the game and I think would come to tourneys. Maybe you are right, but we won't ever know if no one takes the incentive to find out

Nicole

Smash Champion
I'm not against monthlies at all. I definitely hope that we get a bunch of locals who we don't ever get to see. But I'm skeptical....sorry, I'm a pessimist.

I dunno, just don't be surprised if it's just us. But I do hope it isn't, and I definitely think monthlies are a good idea, if we can pull them off.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
the whole point of doing monthlies is to grow the local scene. There are quite a few wi-fi/AiB players that dont play with us that still play the game and I think would come to tourneys. Maybe you are right, but we won't ever know if no one takes the incentive to find out
add a melee half to those monthlies and I'll enter as dead money for Brawl.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I think monthlies may turn out better than we expect, and I definately think we can try. No harm in that.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
Have fun breeding A MILLION of whatever you want...Worst part of pokemon.
3 years ago, I bred my Garchomp with great IVs (31 in speed, 30 in Attack but with **** defenses), the "right" nature, and the egg move I wanted.

After I achieved that I quit pokemon until people brought it up on smashboards these last 2 weeks. It was that bad.

and now that I wanna play again Garchomp is Uber? FUKCK THAT!

Top Bottom