• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Teh Future

Smash Master
I think Ice Climbers in brawl are gayer than Jiggs.

TP, your gannon's gonna get pwndazzled. Just so you know.

Thinkaman I want to play a million matches against you with Diddy because Im actually learning how to play him better and you're the only one that knows how to deal with Banananannas.

prediction: grand finals is gonna be 1337 falcon dittos

TP

Smash Master
TP, your gannon's gonna get pwndazzled. Just so you know.
It's Ganon, not gannon.

Future, I have mixed feelings. Part of me doesn't want to face you in the next tourney because I think you'll beat me, but part of me needs to know what would happen. I plan on going Ganon if you go Diddy, BTW. My Ganon lost to it last time while my ROB won, but I need to overcome the matchup so I can move on to Ganon's REALLY hard matchups. (80-20 is considered neutral for a Ganon main. :urg:)

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
im for sure going to KS for may 23rd (as I will be home for summer at that time)

who wants a ride with me and peach smoothie (now known as erroldactyl)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Alright future, here's a deal. You give me all the ICs practice I want as Jiggs, and I'll play any character you want practice against as Diddy all day.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Alright future, here's a deal. You give me all the ICs practice I want as Jiggs, and I'll play any character you want practice against as Diddy all day.
As long as you dont keep trying to fthrow me with jiggs rofl.

Imma remember this though. Its gonna be all day.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
In this post, I pointlessly rank the characters in terms of how beneficial playing them is for new players.

Brawl Characters for New Players: (A Tier-List)

Top-Tier:
Mario (Teaches followups and approach setup better than any other character. Encourages a balance of conservative and aggressive edge-play.)
Fox (Teaches watching and punishing the opponent better than any other character. Encourages a balance of conservative and aggressive edge-play.)
Jigglypuff (Teaches spacing and general move timing better than any other character. May encourage rolling too much)

High Tier:
DK (Decent all-around character to learn the game with.)
Shiek (Good overall, especially for teaching followups, but timing on moves is abnormally fast.)
Toon Link (Fantastic overall, but doesn't encourage grabs enough. Somewhat too much emphasis on projectiles.)
Kirby (Teaches air control and throw followups, great overall but some character specific stuff. they need to be told not to rock/hammer.)
Falcon (Teaches approach and follow-up well. One of the better choices.)
Squirtle (See Shiek.)
Charizard (Pretty good all-around character to learn with. Rewards grabbing too liberally.)
Ike (May encourage rolling too much. They need to be told explicitly to jab and not smash much.)
Ness (Excellent character to learn with, especially the details of grabs and throws.)
G&W (Best high-tier to learn with, teaches air control/good spacing and discourages rolling.)

Mid Tier:
Luigi (Great, but rewards spamming aerials too much and does not reward dash attacks)
Ganondorf (Terrible to learn with on the whole, but harshly teaches not to make moves you can't commit to.)
Pit (Meh... decent character to learn with, perhaps overemphasizes projectiles and smashing.)
DDD (Does not teach approach well at all, overemphasizes his character-specific chaingrab. Overwise not bad.)
Wolf (Great overall character, but some lessons get lost in nuances. Not good to learn against...)
Lucario (Meh. Not really any reasons that make him an especially bad or good character to learn the game with.)
Lucas (Teaches followups well, but does not reward aggressive behavior or grabbing enough.)

Low Tier:
Peach (Peach's movement and turnip details are largely character specific; she has less to offer the general case.)
Bowser (Emphasis on grab releases and strange approaches make him awkward to learn with.)
Yoshi (His oddball defensive game does not train players well for most other character.)
Wario (Rewards smashing, trading hits, and aggressive off-stage play too much. Unique recovery.)
Zelda (Another defensive character. Does not teach approach well at all...)
Zamus (Unique recovery style and emphasis on side-B spacing other characters don't relate to.)
R.O.B. (Everything about the general game ROB can teach you, Jigglypuff can teach you better. Seriously.)
Meta Knight (Timing far off from most other character, overly rewards aggressive play and does not punish mistakes much.)
Falco (Like DDD, he does not teach approach well and emphasizes his personal chaingrab. Fox is a better teacher.)
Pikachu (Overly rewards spamming, many things not that relevant to most other characters.)
Ivysaur (Does not reward grabs, rewards defensive play wayyyy too much.)
Snake (Overly rewards tilts and defensive play, enough said. Won't apply to most other characters.)
Sonic (Not awful, but he has almost nothing going for him in terms of teaching the game.)

Bottom Tier:
Diddy (Not bad, but the character revolves entirely around bananas.)
Link (No one should try to learn the game with Link...)
Samus (Oh man, you try to teach a new player the game with Samus and they will hate you.)
ICs (Probably the worst...)
Olimar (A good character to learn with, except it teaches overly conservative play and requires knowing lots of nuances.)

...argue?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
In this post, I pointlessly rank the characters in terms of how beneficial playing them is for new players.

Top-Tier:
Mario (Teaches followups and approach setup better than any other character. Encourages a balance of conservative and aggressive edge-play.)
Fox (Teaches watching and punishing the opponent better than any other character. Encourages a balance of conservative and aggressive edge-play.)
Jigglypuff (Teaches spacing and general move timing better than any other character. May encourage rolling too much)

High Tier:
Shiek (Good overall, especially for teaching followups, but timing on moves is abnormally fast.)
Toon Link (Fantastic overall, but doesn't encourage grabs enough. Somewhat too much emphasis on projectiles.)
Kirby (Teaches air control and throw followups, great overall but some character specific stuff. they need to be told not to rock/hammer.)
Squirtle (See Shiek.)
Charizard (Pretty good all-around character to learn with. Rewards grabbing too liberally.)
Ike (May encourage rolling too much. They need to be told explicitly to jab and not smash much.)
Ness (Excellent character to learn with, especially the details of grabs and throws.)
G&W (Best high-tier to learn with, teaches air control/good spacing and discourages rolling.)

Mid Tier:
Luigi (Great, but rewards spamming aerials too much and does not reward dash attacks)
Ganondorf (Terrible to learn with on the whole, but harshly teaches not to make moves you can't commit to.)
Pit (Meh... decent character to learn with, perhaps overemphasizes projectiles and smashing.)
DDD (Does not teach approach well at all, overemphasizes his character-specific chaingrab. Overwise not bad.)
Wolf (Great overall character, but some lessons get lost in nuances. Not good to learn against...)
Lucario (Meh. Not really any reasons that make him an especially bad or good character to learn the game with.)
Lucas (Teaches followups well, but does not reward aggressive behavior or grabbing enough.)

Low Tier:
Peach (Peach's movement and turnip details are largely character specific; she has less to offer the general case.)
Bowser (Emphasis on grab releases and strange approaches make him awkward to learn with.)
Yoshi (His oddball defensive game does not train players well for most other character.)
Wario (Rewards smashing, trading hits, and aggressive off-stage play too much. Unique recovery.)
Zamus (Unique recovery style and emphasis on side-B spacing other characters don't relate to.)
R.O.B. (Everything about the general game ROB can teach you, Jigglypuff can teach you better. Seriously.)
Meta Knight (Timing far off from most other character, overly rewards aggressive play and does not punish mistakes much.)
Falco (Like DDD, he does not teach approach well and emphasizes his personal chaingrab. Fox is a better teacher.)
Pikachu (Overly rewards spamming, many things not that relevant to most other characters.)
Snake (Overly rewards tilts and defensive play, enough said. Won't apply to most other characters.)
Sonic (Not awful, but he has almost nothing going for him in terms of teaching the game.)

Bottom Tier:
Samus (Oh man, you try to teach a new player the game with Samus and they will hate you.)
Olimar (A good character to learn with, except it teaches overly conservative play and requires knowing lots of nuances.)

...argue?

I completely agree

Dj Chopin

Smash Apprentice
when is the next smashfest? i missed tuesday and i cant make it to this sluh tournament : ( btw thinkaman, your posts are interesting. i started using jiggs a little after you brutally owned me with her at ogre's. very fun character.

Radium88

Smash Lord

Top-Tier:

High Tier:
Squirtle (See Shiek.)

Mid Tier:

Low Tier:

Bottom Tier:

...argue?

Rock/Hammer is a good combo, I just haven't timed it right. I'll never give them up!!! :lick: (Really don't get this emote....)

Also, Olimar is good for spamming the C-stick....I played him one time and that's all I did and I won in teams. Haha so I don't think I was too conservative. I thought he was actually easy to pick up. And Diddy too. I don't think they should be bottom tier. Maybe mid or low. Unless you are talking about people who don't even know what a Wii is other than a pronoun, then maybe. But even then, I still don't think it's low.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Using "Rock/Hammer" is called the Rauleen Combo, Kyle. Be sure to never make that mistake again. :p

Personally I agree with most of this list-- I started the game with Ness and Pokemon Trainer and I agree for the reasons that you stated. I don't see what's so much better about the "Top" tiers, than the "High" tiers, though.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
im for sure going to KS for may 23rd (as I will be home for summer at that time)

who wants a ride with me and peach smoothie (now known as erroldactyl)
is there seriously a tourny on may 23rd in kc? wtf

Jeff and I are going to see they might be giants in kc that exact night.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
is there seriously a tourny on may 23rd in kc? wtf

Jeff and I are going to see they might be giants in kc that exact night.
Smash AND They Might Be Giants, can things get any better than this...

I submit that it cannot.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Lucario should be much lower. It teaches players to use rolling as the only means to move on the ground and punish.

Snake ftilt? roll behind and punish.

Bowser firebreath? roll behind and punish

first hit of zzs's neutral A? roll behind and punish.

Seriously his rolls are so ********, they basically teleport the player halfway across FD without any ending lag. you dont have to space anything at all.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I just wanted to say that I really liked the sextuple knee.

Edit: Yeah, the Ness Vid kinda sucked, like 75% of the clips were just Ness hitting with a move. Like... one move.

_Wolfy_

Smash Cadet
Alrighty so whens the smash at Washu
and the video legan posted was great i mean for brawl of coarse...

Teh Future

Smash Master
Actually I wanna know who is still planning on going to Kahoka. Metal you need to figure out if you are going and if you aren't going does that mean lawleen/seth/kolby also aren't going to come?

I also need to know some general time we would be back on sunday, because asc said they have the venue even though the tourney would be over, but I dont know if we are going to stay there or what and if we do when we would leave.

edit:

OF COARSEEE

so coarseeee
lol I wanted to do the same thing when I read that.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm driving to Kahoka.

Also, Brawl tonight at WUGS. (Gregg Technology Classroom behind ResTech/STS)

This is addressed primarily to Phil.

Legan

Smash Lord
kyle we need to discuss/practice for kahoka. i wanna hear your thoughts on crew battles as well. I really have no intention of losing to team real team.

Top Bottom