• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta SSBU Stagelist Discussion

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hazards off Minecraft does not spawn the blocks, platforms are based on the layout and thus are random.
Apparently you can force a specific biome.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So Minecraft World with hazards off removes the floor blocks, Birch and Igloo variants have decent platform placement, and you can force which Biome you want so it's not random.

What are the excuses to not make this legal this time? I really fail to see a problem with this

1602660170427.png

1602660182699.png

Hell, Birch Biome in particular has almost the exact same layout as Treetop Lodge from Rivals of Aether!

1602660384098.png

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So Minecraft World with hazards off removes the floor blocks, Birch and Igloo variants have decent platform placement, and you can force which Biome you want so it's not random.

What are the excuses to not make this legal this time? I really fail to see a problem with this

View attachment 289240
View attachment 289241

Hell, Birch Biome in particular has almost the exact same layout as Treetop Lodge from Rivals of Aether!

View attachment 289242
Unless the blast zones turn out to be cancerous, which from playing a bit they don’t seem to be, there is no argument against Igloo and Birch. Both seem to be great stages with awesome layouts.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
30 seconds done repeatedly over who knows how many set ups throughout an entire day adds up. It's part of the reason so many are wary of doing hazards on/hazards off hybrid rulesets despite consistent solutions being posted so many times. No matter how many times reminders are said, there's always gotta be that one impulsive guy that mashes/misclicks/forgets.

I do agree the layouts should get the fair chance, but could also see only 1 layout being tried at a time for making it more easy to memorise. Either way, we're waiting on the blast zone data. From personal testing I've seen winter biome has different ceiling heights than Kalos/PS2.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm personally on team Savanna when it comes to which Minecraft biome to legalise (first), but that's just because I've wanted How to Play 64 playable in an official capacity for ages now and this is probably the closest we'll ever get.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
So we have 4 possible new legal stage picks...

-Birch forest (L+R) - Duo plats (Higher right plat, Treetop Lodge)

-Savanna (L+left stick up) - Solo Left plat

-Snowy Tundra (L+left stick down) - Duo plats (Even height)

-Stone Shore (L+left stick right) - Solo Right plat

Plains and Taiga are just walled FD's like Wily's.
Stage list discussions are gonna be fun!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So we have 4 possible new legal stage picks...

-Birch forest (L+R) - Duo plats (Higher right plat, Treetop Lodge)

-Savanna (L+left stick up) - Solo Left plat

-Snowy Tundra (L+left stick down) - Duo plats (Even height)

-Stone Shore (L+left stick right) - Solo Right plat

Plains and Taiga are just walled FD's like Wily's.
Stage list discussions are gonna be fun!
I'm personally anti-Tundra, we have enough symmetrical dualplats as is - I think having both Forest and either Shore or Savanna (take your pick, not both though) would work best. Two Animal Crossing stages was never an issue, so why not two Miney Crafta stages?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm personally anti-Tundra, we have enough symmetrical dualplats as is - I think having both Forest and either Shore or Savanna (take your pick, not both though) would work best. Two Animal Crossing stages was never an issue, so why not two Miney Crafta stages?
If I had to choose, I'd pick Birch and Savanna

Stone Shore is cool aesthetically, but Savanna edges out due to the fact that the solo left plat is slightly tucked in, wheras over on Stone Shore the solo right plat hangs near the edge, it's just Kalos with one platform missing. Having that left plat tucked in a little more makes recovery just that much more risky.

I'm a big supporter of Birch for the alternating height platforms, it's like what Mementos could have been! And again: It has the exact same layout as Treetop Lounge in Rivals

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Apparently you can force a specific biome.
I wish all random stages could have this feature.

Alias Tex

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3796-7058-8396
Why not make things simple and consider Minecraft World to be one entry on the stage list, but the loser from the last game (whoever is counterpicking) chooses the inputs for determining the stage layout? When done this way, only the one strongest counterpick layout is relevant to player choices during stage selection, even though all of them are available. I’m pretty sure that the platforms are the only difference between the stages, and by doing it this way we avoid bloating the list with stages of above average size, which is going to be the main argument against adding more than one of them. It also means that you can get by with only memorizing the biome input for your character’s one favorite layout, though top players may care to memorize them all anyways. Furthermore, this is a much easier way to make stage lists more consistent between tournaments, because the alternative is the layouts competing with each other, which would likely lead to each tournament having its own confusing rules on which biome or two is playable. This is an easy way to get everyone on the same page and maximizes the stage’s contribution to the stagelist.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Why not make things simple and consider Minecraft World to be one entry on the stage list, but the loser from the last game (whoever is counterpicking) chooses the inputs for determining the stage layout? When done this way, only the one strongest counterpick layout is relevant to player choices during stage selection, even though all of them are available. I’m pretty sure that the platforms are the only difference between the stages, and by doing it this way we avoid bloating the list with stages of above average size, which is going to be the main argument against adding more than one of them. It also means that you can get by with only memorizing the biome input for your character’s one favorite layout, though top players may care to memorize them all anyways. Furthermore, this is a much easier way to make stage lists more consistent between tournaments, because the alternative is the layouts competing with each other, which would likely lead to each tournament having its own confusing rules on which biome or two is playable. This is an easy way to get everyone on the same page and maximizes the stage’s contribution to the stagelist.
This. I like this.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Playing on the stage more and more, it feels somewhat between PS2 and Kalos in size. Unlike say Mementos, which felt clearly larger than Kalos (though I would still petition for Mementos in Doubles), this stage feels...good. It aint to big, no real hurdles, and the layouts are nice (My favorite is Birch, would prefer if we had to do only one it would be birch).

Here is what I would currently suggest should be the standard stage list. I am doing a wide counterpick for the sake of argument that these all are reasonable stages. TBH if the counterpick stage list is as reasonable as this, we might even want to consider seasonal rotation of stages.

Starter
Small Battlefield
Battlefield
Final Destination (Omegas and Battlefields that are not disruptive obviously are kosher)
Smashville
Town and City

Counterpicks
Pokemon Stadium 2
Lylat Cruise
WarioWare
Yoshi's Story
Kalos Pokemon League
Yggdrasil's Alter
Minecraft World (Birch if we have to force one, I think Savannah and Shore seem ok too)

Honestly, this is a fine stage list with a lot of variety in it, both visually, size wise, and stage layout wise.

#LegalizeYggdrasil #LegalizeMinecraftWorld #LegalizeBirch

Also once again pitching that we test Mementos and Mushroom U for doubles.

Last edited:

KurokoGuy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4098-7839-2457
Switch FC
SW 3354 8684 7309
I Think That Unova Pokémon League (Hazards Off) Should Be Legal

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I Think That Unova Pokémon League (Hazards Off) Should Be Legal
As much as I wish it was legal because I despite Palutena, Small Battlefield kind of kills it’s chances of being legal. Small BF does the role of a Small symmetrical dual play better. Better edges, better lighting, smaller. It’s just a better stage overall.

Now Minecraft World, that’s a stage that should be legal. Also Yggdrasil but it’s not gonna happen :(.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

Size. It's Size. Size's the reason.
Look at the difference in scale between RoA and Smash. Compare the size of the characters.
Minecraft World is 200 units long, If Treetop Lodge was in Smash it'd be more or less 140 units long.
I know the people here don't play competitively but most lists have Kalos and PS2 that are already considered big, open, and favor running away so there's no way tournaments will run a stage that is even bigger than those, with blastzones even larger (at least it's got a 180 ceiling) and higher, harder to reach platforms.

If the stage was at the scale of Treetop Lodge (aka the size of SV) then it would be the perfect addition to any stage list. But it isn't, so it isn't.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If we had two or three more small stages, it's possible Minecraft World would be up for legality. But we don't, so here we are with stagelists where big outwieghs small. This hurts the slower characters by a lot, since they have more ground to cover. Small Battlefield was a step in the right direction, but we are still left wanting for more small stages. We'll see if the next four characters and any surprise stages bring us more small stages. Or maybe they'll fix Warioware, because all it needs is bigger side blast zones

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As much as I wish it was legal because I despite Palutena, Small Battlefield kind of kills it’s chances of being legal. Small BF does the role of a Small symmetrical dual play better. Better edges, better lighting, smaller. It’s just a better stage overall.

Now Minecraft World, that’s a stage that should be legal. Also Yggdrasil but it’s not gonna happen :(.
Big agree on Yggdrasil. I just kinda wish that the background wasn't so in-your-face, but once you get over that it's a perfectly fine competitive stage. I played on it during an in-person tournament last year and well...it's like town and city. But as StrangeKitten StrangeKitten mentioned above in regards to Minecraft World, let's wait on making it legal until we get at least one more smallish stage, if we ever do.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm a dualplat, he's a dualplat, you're a dualplat, are there any other dualplats I should know about?

Meow.

We went from getting stages that are completely improbable for competitive play to getting like 3 Kalos/PS2 clones in a row. (Smol, Brown Bricks in Minecrap (snow), PlayStation 2 World)
Okay comp Smash, what's wrong with THIS stage?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From what people have been speculating about the stage, it's probably a transforming stage. We'll probably have to see more before any verdicts could be made.

Assuming this is all there is, the answer is probably "I like Kalos Pokémon League better".

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The new stage looks like it could be legal. Might even be worth running over Kalos if it's smaller. But it's too early to make definitive judgements. I wish I could say hazards off would grant us a legal stage, but hazardless is such a crapshoot that we don't know yet whether disruptive hazards will be an issue.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Okay on the new stage assuming it's really good and it is essentially what we see. How would smash ultimate handle the idea of DLC stages for online tournaments during the pandemic.

Are you required to have the DLC stage? Fairness striking process or counterpick the process?

I don't think I've ever seen precedent for this.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Absolutely nothing, but just like Midgar, it's going to have every single VOD/stream/etc. struck with copyright claims the moment FF7 music (especially if the Advent Children version of OWA from the trailer is in) plays.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well if the music wasn't enough: I near instantly got motion sickness the moment they started playing on the stage on the stream, faster than I do with Clock Tower.

100% banned.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I can handle Umbra Clock Tower fine except for when the dragon appears. That looked more distracting than the dragon, and for longer. I don't think the stage will see much competitive use due to distracting background alone.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If anyone's curious on the differences

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well if the music wasn't enough: I near instantly got motion sickness the moment they started playing on the stage on the stream, faster than I do with Clock Tower.

100% banned.
Wait seriously? Yikes. It sounds like Nintendo should just stop making moving stages at this point since every single one of them seems to cause motion sickness.

Or at least have a background locking feature. You'd lose some of the context for stages like Umbra Clock Tower, but at least motion sickness wouldn't be such a common problem anymore.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

M2K made a video discussing legalizing this stage. He even brought up the background criticism, noting we have FD in our rule set rn. Just figured it could be an interesting very pro Northern Cave viewpoint.

Top Bottom