• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB is NOT on the MLG 09 Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The fact that you call Halo 3 a mediocre FPS shows a lot of biased thinking dude. Halo 3 takes a lot of skill, team work, and you need to learn a lot of ****.

Brawl's technical skill gap between pros and noobs is nowhere near that of Halo's, get out of imaginary land. Find me some idiot who barely plays Halo 3 like once a month and can easily pull of sniper head shots and BR 4 shots the way pros do, and can easily work with a team.

There is way the **** too much misinformation about Halo it's pathetic.
Two things:

1. Tech skill is not that important in making a game competetive. Tetris and Chess are more strategic than any video game released in the past 3 generations and they require no tech skill. Brawl is mindgame based yes, but it allows enough freedom like the other Smash games (which I think are better than Brawl competetively) for better players to simply out play their opponent. Besides, whether or not Brawl is boring/exciting, if it was not competetive at all, we would have stopped playing it competetively by May.

2. We know why MLG put Halo 3 in the lineup, but what facet of Halo 3's gameplay as a FPS make it competetively superior to its fellow FPS games that it was garnered a spot in MLG? Brawl and Melee at least have the luxary of vastly different mechanics compared to other fighters. Halo might have different aspects of its gameplay that makes it different from other shooters competetively, but do you beleive that those differences are significant enough that they allow Halo 3 not only to stand out amongst other games of the genre but also overcome the superior basic and advanced gameplay of other FPS games?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Deathcarter I play a lot of FPS games, honestly Halo is not like any of them.

I myself would rather see TF2 on there though, because it's just plain bad ***. Also, I liked Halo 2 over Halo 3 but the amount of stuff I can do in Halo 3+Halo 2's remaining online community sucks means I'm stuck with Halo 3, which is fine. I think with stuff like double shooting and BXB made Halo 2 a lot faster and more intense.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Deathcarter I play a lot of FPS games, honestly Halo is not like any of them.

I myself would rather see TF2 on there though, because it's just plain bad ***. Also, I liked Halo 2 over Halo 3 but the amount of stuff I can do in Halo 3+Halo 2's remaining online community sucks means I'm stuck with Halo 3, which is fine. I think with stuff like double shooting and BXB made Halo 2 a lot faster and more intense.
I did achnowledge that Halo 3 was different when you examine the game in-depth although I beleive you realize that. I admit, I don't know much about Halo, but I beleive Halo 3 is not the best choice from a competetive standpoint when you examine the plethora of PC shooters.

I still cannot formulate an understanding on how some Melee supporters are glad that Smash isn't represented at MLG. Now granted, had the community been given the choice to choose between Melee and Brawl, I'd choose Melee in a heartbeat despite liking Brawl more. But I find it odd that Smashboards is not unanimous in wanting a Smash game in MLG. Unless of course, most of you nay play Halo 3 or one of the other games at MLG competetively, an idea not entirely out of the scope of possibility, then I could sympathize with y'all more.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I did achnowledge that Halo 3 was different when you examine the game in-depth although I beleive you realize that. I admit, I don't know much about Halo, but I beleive Halo 3 is not the best choice from a competetive standpoint when you examine the plethora of PC shooters.

I still cannot formulate an understanding on how some Melee supporters are glad that Smash isn't represented at MLG. Now granted, had the community been given the choice to choose between Melee and Brawl, I'd choose Melee in a heartbeat despite liking Brawl more. But I find it odd that Smashboards is not unanimous in wanting a Smash game in MLG. Unless of course, most of you nay play Halo 3 or one of the other games at MLG competetively, an idea not entirely out of the scope of possibility, then I could sympathize with y'all more.
Some of them probably don't care about MLG. To the Melee community, this was probably like a major blow to the whole Smash community showing how vastly ******** Brawl is.

Well, that's what they think.

Roihu

Smash Ace
You'd think they would be smart enough to know that Brawl being on this thing would only help the support for Melee.
I mean, if more people find out about Brawl and like it but think it's too slow, they could always go to Melee.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Most people, actually. Most people only know Smash the party game. Competitive smash? pfffffff.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Two things:

1. Tech skill is not that important in making a game competetive. Tetris and Chess are more strategic than any video game released in the past 3 generations and they require no tech skill. .
tetris is not more strategic than melee. Chess is debatable. People believe it to be some game where alot of thinking and strategic prowess is involved, when in top level play it's basically just remembering opening sequences and ways to counter them.

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
I've been on the Soul Calibur 4 forums a lot lately, and there is a lot of hate towards the smash community (which I dislike because I'm a fan on both boards). The major difference is, SSBB -has- to ban a lot of things from the get-go, or the game would be unbalanced (note that this includes items, stages, etc.), whereas most other communities are trying their best to -not- ban anything. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a factor this is in deciding games that qualify, but I do feel bad that I wouldn't be able to experience both of my favorite fighting games (well, excluding SF) in high-end tournaments.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I've been on the Soul Calibur 4 forums a lot lately, and there is a lot of hate towards the smash community (which I dislike because I'm a fan on both boards). The major difference is, SSBB -has- to ban a lot of things from the get-go, or the game would be unbalanced (note that this includes items, stages, etc.), whereas most other communities are trying their best to -not- ban anything. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a factor this is in deciding games that qualify, but I do feel bad that I wouldn't be able to experience both of my favorite fighting games (well, excluding SF) in high-end tournaments.
PM me that discussion. And Soul Calibur people tend to be brutal towards other communities in general but they're not like... violent about it. I had SC4/Brawl events in MI for many months with zero problems.

Isnt there an MLG representative moderator on the boards?? ask him what the deal is.
Alpha Zealot and MLG_JV are the only people I can think of...

Genoisdabest

Smash Cadet
I thinking people are going more for shooters these days then anything else... games like brawl seem to be getting less populr by the day :(

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Honestly...I saw this coming from a mile away. Not that I agree or disagree with it all, but I'm not surprised either. They should have kept Melee at least. I loved those days.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why the hell would MLG have a $7500 online Brawl tournament? Have they even tried playing on Wifi?

Alpha Zealot and MLG_JV are the only people I can think of...
I'm pretty sure either JV or both of them started out as "normal" Smashers, members of SWF, possibly even mods before they started working for MLG and then got hired by MLG to help them with their Smash tournaments. So it's not so much being representatives of MLG as being a Mod who happens to work for MLG?

DTR

Smash Journeyman
Someone should hack MLG's website and make it nothing but a pic of Master Chief getting Knee'd by Falcon. That'll show the b*stards.
lol... what knee? master chief could annihilate C. Falcon (they killed him in brawl)... which is heartbreaking to an ex-falcon player like me... =\

a lot of people are under the impression that microsoft owns mlg. i dont know why anyone believes this... microsoft does give them quite a bit of money, which is probably why halo 3 is in the circuit, which seems reasonable... mlg is trying to run a business. people should stop pointing their fingers at microsoft for brawl not being included in the mlg circuit. microsoft has nothing to do with it.

maybe if nintendo put a little bit of money into mlg, then a nintendo game (preferably melee... or brawl) would be added into the circuit. just because mlg didnt add the game to the circuit doesnt mean that people should boycott (idk how you'd do that one) or start cussing them out. they could still love the community for all we know, but if they arent going to make a profit from having ssbb in the circuit, they wont do it. that would be extremely stupid. once again, mlg is a business.

the only things that we can do at this point is to strengthen the community. exploit the game and find ways to make it more competitive, host smaller tournaments to gain attention, and give the game some time to become more popular to the pro-gaming community. we can only hope that it will be part of the 2010 circuit.

2 more things...

sakurai is an a**hole and melee > brawl (sorry... im a melee fanboy... lol)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yes MLG is a business, and it's okay to criticize a business. In particular, I see the following reasons here:
  1. Complaining may pressure the business to change its actions
  2. Complaining informs and rallies the community, in case any sort of global shift is required in response to a disagreement with the business (who this site is tied to) (not that anything like this at all is happening atm, just sayin')
  3. We think the business made a decision that was not in its own best interest, financially or otherwise
  4. We just dislike the decision with respect to the way it affects us personally, lol

All of those are rational reasons to voice something now.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I wonder if MLG did add Brawl to the circuit, would MK be banned? The main reason I ask is that JV voted for the ban, and he's the only real tangible MLG presence we have here. Not trying to start any, "We should ban MK!" debates, but it's a legit question.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
From the look of the MLG Q&A, smash meets many of the requirements. MLG's actions just don't seem to make much sense. I hope someone at least comes in to explain things. At least give us a reason for the lack of Smash this year.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Sorry guys but it's really happened. Sakurai prevails... :cry:

M.K

Level 55
I wonder if MLG did add Brawl to the circuit, would MK be banned? The main reason I ask is that JV voted for the ban, and he's the only real tangible MLG presence we have here. Not trying to start any, "We should ban MK!" debates, but it's a legit question.
He did not vote for the ban. He stated that he merely picked a choice to see the results of the poll.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Wtf... I've always had adds on this site.. hell the melee ice climbers even pop up on my screen and tell me to go premium...right now i got 3 MLG ads and a Crossfire (w/e the hell that is) ad on my screen. :[

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Wii surfer. Forced to see ads.

Well, MLG must have blown alot of money to acquire SWF and NOT use any Smash game at MLG.

Wonder if MLG_JV will ever show his face around here with all the outcry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom