• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB is NOT on the MLG 09 Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
^ brawl people are the same way towards melee. Most of the time though, the people dissing melee or brawl are just bandwagon haters.

Allied

Smash Master
i usually dont come out and do insults like that but it just annoys me
and i know brawl players do that back to melee players as well

Heres what im trying to say
Why are we being seperated as melee players
or brawl players

Aren't we all SMASH players
amirite?

so lets stop bashing each game

MBreeto

Smash Ace
because a lot of the community is newer and were attracted to the site through brawl and they don't know any better. (while i am an 09'er, i've been playing since 64, but people are just going to assume I don't really know what I'm talking about until I prove myself). But that is the reality we're all going to have to deal with, and that is that people are going to follow fads and hop on bandwagons only because they see other people doing it. For example, when ssb4 comes out, people are going to say it sucks/rocks just like they are doing for brawl.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
er has not read the post below needs too if they have any hopes of ever having smash being taken seriously and getting it on the mlg circuit. I think everyone should join the group so that we all could write letters :p after a couple thousand i think they may reconsider cus it would show unity and dedication :p i mean there are at least 100 smashers in each state, and with 50 states thats 5,000 people right there... and that is on the extreme low end of the spectrum... and if it doesn't work he's right, we could make a tru legit circuit ourselves and get sponsored by who knows, ****... maybe opra or bill gates haha but seriously anything is possible

No, MLG owns Smashboards

Also, lemme just add my .02 right quick.

I used to play competative Melee, but after the MLG days. I'm very good at competative Brawl, which does have depth, just less than Melee. I personally think Melee is a better game, but I'm better at and enjoy Brawl more. Every time I talk about Brawl, I don't emphasis it's popularity over melee. Every time I talk about Melee, I don't feel compelled to compare it to Brawl. As a lover of both games, I would appreciate it if the communities didn't bash each other. After all, you're both still part of the grander smash community. Chances are, if Smash 4 comes out, and it's any good, you'll all be playing together again anyway. Brawl is a fine game, please let me play it without me having to read communal insults about it everywhere I go.

Secondly, I don't play competative shooters. I'm actually not really a big fan of shooters, as I grew up in NYC (not the nicest parts) and I know quite a few people that have been shot and killed. I don't really enjoy the concept of shooting games, though I don't bash people who have never seen a gun in person aside from perhaps on a police officer's side in it's holster. That being said, can we please stop bashing people that play the games they enjoy? It's very hypocritical, especially of Brawl players, to bash Halo and other shooters, when you dislike getting bashed by Melee players, and other fighting communities.

tl;dr: sorry for being such a softie, but seriously, why can't we all just get along?

Now, for the real point of this message. The fact is, we can speculate and curse Sakurai and MLG all day, but none of you know for sure the real reason why Brawl isn't on the circuit. Furthermore, all the bashing in this thread is very counter productive. Going on MLG's main site and putting your voice out, boycotting MLG products, mailing MLG representatives IRL, continuing to survive as a popular competative community, going out and drawing in new players: these are the things that will get us on a sponsered circuit. Flaming this thread is burning the little chance we have left.

For those that don't care, that's fine. There are those of us that do care. Please don't be cruel, rude, and vindictive just because your game is no longer played competatively on a wide-scale level. People that play Brawl aren't stopping people from playing Melee, and MOST of us don't bash you. Some of us (like myself) accept Melee as a superior game that we just suck at, and don't have the time, interest, or community to put effort into. Please, hold your comments to yourself.

If you really care, do something SMART about it.

Also, I honestly think the Brawl community is large enough to start it's own competative circuit if we play our cards right. There are thousands of us, and we all are growing people, many of us young adults, and many of us with connections. There are a couple of key actions we could take to start our own circuit.

A) Reach out to other fighting game communities. Sure, maybe the Soul Caliber community doesn't like us now, but I'd bet my bottom dollar there are a few people that would lend an ear to anyone talking about hosting sponsored SC tournaments. Having well organized mass events doesn't always require a company like EVO or MLG if we have the right people working together, and enough VOLUNTEERS to get started. Talking to under represented fighting game and shooting game (and puzzle game) communities and uniting our efforts MAKES US BIG enough to do our own thing. I will be starting a social group after this post to get anyone interested in helping me make this happen organized. It obviously won't kick off right away; I'm only 17 and still in high school. I turn 18 in March though, and I'll be on vacation in the summer, and I'm willing to take matters into my own hands and make the next step. I can't do it alone though. I'm ready, are you?

B) Unite the darned smash community together again! I mean, seriously people, we will destroy each other at the rate we are burning each other with flames. If we were to organize each other, seriously consider one another, and respect each other, and the others' preference of game, perhaps many people would find themselves enjoying both games, and both games could flourish SIMULTANEOUSLY. It only can't happen IF YOU SAY it can't happen. Nothing is actually stopping it from happening but you.

C) Organize our leaders to actually REPRESENT THE COMMUNITY. No offense to anyone in the SBR, but basically, my entire experience in the smash community has been, "The SBR is there, it's always been there, it's taken hold of power, and it's getting passed down in a monarchical manor." I very much like the concept of the SBR, but as it stands now, the group is almost clashing with the population like an expired monarch. I respect many members in the SBR, but it's time to face the facts. SBR was created in Melee days, and early Melee days at that. Even thought the purge occurred, it was orchestrated by MLG, who is apparently not even supporting us anymore. There are still many disputes about questionable members in the SBR, and some of the policies they produce.

D) Play Wifi.

Just kidding.

The real D) We NEED a UNIFORMED ruleset to help the uniformity of the community grow. If I'm playing with only "legit stages" on, and there are regions playing with Port Town, Norfair, and Jungle Japes, though we might be playing the same game, we're having totally different competitions. I think the best and simplest way to compromise is granting more personal bans. Turn on most of the stages in conflict (Pictochat, Japes, PS2, and Norfair), and grant both players more bans. This merely results in players simply fighting on stages they both seem to agree on, similar to the stage striking system we've adapted (allow both players to alternate striking neutrals until there is one left, and play on it for R1). Either this, or we can eliminate all of the disputed stages. Seriously, I don't understand why anyone would have a significant problem with Norfair off. Some people think Norfair can provide a more random and uncontrollable game changing element. This is a stronger argument than people who simply think "You're wrong". The consequences of them being right are much more significant than the consequence of them being wrong. If the stage is off and they're right, we don't get owned by a stage. If the stage is off and they're wrong, we merely lose one viable stage, and still have other options to choose from. You can still play on that stage with your friends, and even in money matches with people that agree with you. For the sake of fairness, it's safer just to turn conflict stages off.

I'm pretty much done here, but for those of you that think Brawl isn't fast or fun to watch, rofl. You're watching the wrong people. When I fight R00kie, it's fast and fun. Melee status? Not really, sometimes though. It's still pretty hot though.

Anyway, just dropping my two coppers on the table. Hit me up in my new open social group called 'Competative Circuit Organization' (CCO for short), if you're interested/want to talk to me more.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is not going anywhere good. Too much flaming, too much spam. It's not even in the right forum.

Discussions over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom