• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB is NOT on the MLG 09 Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I think Halo is more popular.....
Anyway, does MLG still support Brawl? Sorry for obvious question... I'm not a tourney person.

tubes

Smash Ace
Also Halo has a larger fanbase. and Brawl is boring as hell to watch. I honestly wonder if Melee would still be in the MLG circuit if Brawl was never released. Same with EVO. Because other then Brawl being boring to watch doesn't smash have one of the best competitive scene's out there?

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
To be honest I'm surprised MLG exists at all. We should be happy we get that one tournament. Although it does seem odd they would go through the trouble of purchasing this site, then ignore us.

Niko_K

Smash Master
It's so they can advertise all their games and persuade those who don't like brawl to try their games in their competitive league known as MLG.

Notice all the new ads lately?

It's all about marketing.

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
It's cause the gaming world is mostly corrupted by stupid ideas and people complaining about nothing. MLG probably doesn't think brawl has enough GUNZ to be considered, yet they fill smashboards with their useless advertising for 12 year olds.

They have FIFA 09 in they're MLG lineup for god's sake. Brawl is boring to watch? Yeah, that's why 100+ people were watching the top matches at COT4. Oh but let's watch Halo or Gears and pretend those aren't campfests.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Yeah, that's kind of dumb. I'm actually more sad about Evo dropping Brawl. Was Brawl being put in Evo just "play the new game" syndrome?

Edit: TvC is on evo's list? That game doesn't even have an official release in America. Now I'm even more sad that Brawl didn't make it.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Thats a dumb idea, why buy a Super Smash website and not include it in, and there are no doubt a lot of brawl fans around there, so of course it would have a good amount of people going and watching.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Edit: TvC is on evo's list? That game doesn't even have an official release in America. Now I'm even more sad that Brawl didn't make it.
I don't even think there's a Nintendo game on the EVO's list.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I don't understand any real upsides to not having a popular tournament organizer hosting a tournament for your game. It generates more interest for people when they hear news like that. I also have friends who's criteria for games is heavily waited on how big the tournament scene is.

I take it back. I can think of one. If they don't set rules similar to what the majority of competitive smash players play, it causes a conflict (see last year's evo).

Clone Z

Smash Journeyman
Aparantly they believe making slower and campier games makes them sell more.

Wait a minute...

Niko_K

Smash Master
Halo3 : Halo 2 :: Brawl : Melee

It all makes sense now.

<------$$$$Camp-------Skill---->

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Am I the only one that's happy about this?
Even if you love Melee and hate Brawl, why be happy about this? It's not like Brawl not being on MLG's list is going to help Melee. At least if Brawl was there, smash as a whole could garner even more attention.

Fletch

Smash Master
Even if you love Melee and hate Brawl, why be happy about this? It's not like Brawl not being on MLG's list is going to help Melee. At least if Brawl was there, smash as a whole could garner even more attention.
Because Brawl ruins the reputation that Melee always fought off as a simple, kiddy game. Melee took forever to be recognized as a deep fighter, and then they are going to throw a game in that forces your character to trip at random times and moves at a snail's pace.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
What does Brawl have to do with Melee?
o_O

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
^^^ *

That's pretty true that Brawl has a less serious feel to it. And that statement isn't in any way meant to be an excuse for Brawl. The change was pretty darn intentional by Sakurai and his team. The fact doesn't change though that Smash as a whole is more likely to be forgotten by potential new players if no sort of smash scene has room to grow.

*Edit: Melee was a part of MLG for a few years until Brawl was close to release and MLG decided to drop Smash for more shooters. Luckily that year was the same year that Evo picked up Melee. The Melee tournament turned out really well. The Evo staff loved the Smash community and admired the number of attendees.

...then Brawl came out.

I don't know what really sparked Evo to be so certain of their rule sets, but they decided that items randomly spawning were good for competitive play. They claimed that it didn't drastically affect the outcome of the battle, which could be arguable if they didn't leave items such as the Smash Ball on. They said that having the smash ball was entertaining and the randomness was just as acceptable as parrying in Street Fighter. (which by the way is not produced by any sort of number generator. It's just that players happen to accidentally parry, but it's still in the control of the player) Finally, they said that they were against changes the rules from default. Well, the problem is default is 4 player ffa, all stages allowed with items.

The Smash Back Room tried to negotiate with Evo about having items and then when that failed, about what items should be on, but the organizers hardly listened at all. The Staff there claimed that they would hear anyone's case if it was well supported, but they seemed to notice their own members' opinions much more than the opinions of those who were actually going to play the game.

From what I can tell, there wasn't as big of a turn out of players as there was for Melee. At the very least, the number of pros was very low.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Best question. Why do we continue to have Brawl vs Melee debates the second melee gets added into the brawl circuit.

Unity please.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Clear up a couple misconceptions:

1. The competitive scene for Brawl is far bigger than the competitive scene for Melee ever was.

2. Other fighting communities, on average, prefer Brawl over Melee.

But yeah. This sucks, but it's not like we've never survived without MLG before.

DrGonzoPhD

Smash Rookie
Pro gaming in general seems to be a bit lost at the moment. MLG's the largest "pro gaming" organization out there right now, and they don't properly represent many competitive games. Their support for games like TF2 and CS 1.6/Source (both games with huge competitive scenes) is absymal, and it's obvious they've ditched a game like Smash Bros. (either Melee or Brawl) in favor of vastly inferior, yet much more popular games, like Halo 3. Halo 3 is not a game that should be played professionally, as it's easily one of the worst FPSes ever created, and on top of that, it's a CONSOLE FPS. At least CoD4 is on PC.

MLG obviously has no intention of nurturing the pro gaming scene in a way that organizations like cyber evolution have. Their main intent is to very obviously and shamlessly give more attention to weak yet profitable games and the people who have decided to dedicate themselves to them. Shunning the Smash scene (which is obviously unprofitable for MLG's parent company) is a huge slap in the face to a giant segment of the pro gaming community in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom