• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't know that anybody could defend a stance that having 40 character would be better than 45, etc... but honestly, I'd be happy enough with anything 40 or more...

I always want more characters (come on Isaac. come on!), but Megaman's already in, so I literally have no complaints about the roster as we know it at this point.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I personally believe, for newcomers, I'm fairly certain Mewtwo will be one, and Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii seem very likely to me too. That would be, what, 42 characters right there?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I personally believe, for newcomers, I'm fairly certain Mewtwo will be one, and Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii seem very likely to me too. That would be, what, 42 characters right there?
I hate when people don't count transformations in the roster count. Brawl had thirty-nine playable characters. If everyone returned from Brawl to Smash 4, with the confirmed newcomers we currently have, that would make a current forty-two characters. Add in Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii, and that becomes forty-five. Toss in returnees like Mewtwo and Roy, and allow for a few extra characters like Ridley, Palutena, Dixie, and K. Rool, and that could easily become fifty or more. Even if we lose a few characters like Snake, Wolf, Ike, etc. (just examples, don't jump all over me), we'd still be in the high forties. We'd have to lose a lot of characters to have an amount similar to Brawl.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hell, a 12 character roster doesn't mean the game's quality will suffer. Three games into the series' lifespan, however, my expectation for the roster is higher than 40 slots, with Brawl's transformations boosting the total character count up minimally. A roster with character slots in the mid-forties is far from unrealistic IMO.

As much as Sakurai pontificates about new characters not warranting the creation of a sequel, few of the additional features he's added to the games are anything to give a s*** about past the first month or two of playing, whereas characters are universally desirable additions, much moreso than the SSE or, say, a 3DS-to-Wii U level-up system.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In any case I'm pretty sure I got my message across to the people who can still understand posts even if they're long and have been split up.
OH THE IRONY

Coming from someone who turns 2 paragraphs and 2 points into 15 incoherent and unrelated quote, I don't think you can say anything about getting your point across. Your good for a laugh at least.

Well, it was nice knowing you, SmashChu. (Well, not really.) Have fun getting banned. :troll:
If people were getting banned for disagreeing then this wouldn't be the place for me or anyone else.
Do you not see the irony?

*N3ON
*coherent
*sentence
*argue
I was already wasting my time replying to her half wit and poorly structured post. Do you really think I'm going to care about spell check?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I hate when people don't count transformations in the roster count. Brawl had thirty-nine playable characters. If everyone returned from Brawl to Smash 4, with the confirmed newcomers we currently have, that would make a current forty-two characters. Add in Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii, and that becomes forty-five. Toss in returnees like Mewtwo and Roy, and allow for a few extra characters like Ridley, Palutena, Dixie, and K. Rool, and that could easily become fifty or more. Even if we lose a few characters like Snake, Wolf, Ike, etc. (just examples, don't jump all over me), we'd still be in the high forties. We'd have to lose a lot of characters to have an amount similar to Brawl.
Even I have a hard time counting Pokemon Trainer's pokemon as fully individual, since the moveset kind of forces you to change pokemon both directly when you lose a stock and passively by nerfing you for not changing enough. So I always considered Brawl to have 37 characters.

But generally speaking, with Sakurai trying to avoid cuts and have as many characters as he can in the game, I could see maybe 50 characters. 45 is just my pessimist number.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Smashchu...

I think you've lost...

Just let it go... You're the one who keeps replying. Just let it go...

Regardless, thoughts on the release date "leak" anyone?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
But generally speaking, with Sakurai trying to avoid cuts and have as many characters as he can in the game, I could see maybe 50 characters. 45 is just my pessimist number.

45 is my realist number. My pessimistic number is 35.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Smashchu...

I think you've lost...

Just let it go... You're the one who keeps replying. Just let it go...
It's more "I hate Smashchu. Look, someone else argued with Smashchu. I don't like Smashchu. Go you eventhoughIhavenoideawhatanyoneistalkingabout."

I can lose against NE0N because no one can read what she writes. Even with a lack of proof reading I can get my post across.

(In truth, I find this hilarious).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
(Maybe if we ignore SmashChu it'll calm down)

All this new talk of a Spring release is a bit misleading. For all we know Smash 4 was just brought up as an idle example and Ninty Europe is as clueless as we are.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's more "I hate Smashchu. Look, someone else argued with Smashchu. I don't like Smashchu. Go you eventhoughIhavenoideawhatanyoneistalkingabout."

I can lose against NE0N because no one can read what she writes. Even with a lack of proof reading I can get my post across.

(In truth, I find this hilarious).
Is that in reference to me or N3ON? Because neither of us hate you. Don't play the victim.

I'm pretty sure people read her stuff. They replied to and liked it. Multiple times. I do believe that those facts show who is winning this debate. You both got your points across, but you started to resort to insults and trash talking. An old debate teacher once told me, that once one side starts doing that, they usually can't think of anything else to say.

(If it makes you happy, go ahead. But you should know, it's not doing you any favors.)

D

Deleted member

If Ganondorf is to be cut for any reason, expect the true Ganon to show his (ugly) face.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'll add something more constructive and leave it at that. While lifting, I did realize that maybe I should, instead, give some writing tips and maybe what I'm saying will make more sense. I criticized NE0N's post because it wasn't coherent and it missed the point. This is because she took a 2 paragraph post and turned it into 15 quotes. It should be noted that she isn't the only one who does this. By doing this, the meaning is lost and the debate was immediately over. Neither side was going to come to an agreement and there would certain;y be no "winner." I've since dubbed this "quote soup" This is where someone takes a full paragraph and turns it into a multi-quote mess. Instead, we're going to learn how to write a proper argument using thesis statements.

Remember in writing and English classes how the teacher made you write 5 paragraph essays? Well, that's because that is how you are suppose to write (this is how this post is structured). The style is Thesis, Support, and Conclusion. Consider my original post. My points were simple. A)Pac-Man isn't very popular. B)Pac-Man doesn't have a lot of moves that are unique to him. This is the topic of the paragraph that supports my thesis (Pac-Man wont get in). The sentences after that were supporting my points. You may notice I use the words "Although","Additionally" and "Furthermore" alot? That is because they are transition words. They work with the points around them. If you see them, it means the point before it is important and related to the following one. The problem when you start doing quote soup is that you start to take everything out of context. For example, it was very common for NE0N to make a reply to my point that was later addressed in the same paragraph. Had she not done that, she would have seen I had already addressed her point and could either consed or try a different route. But let me show you an example.

Here is a short story:
Jimmy went to the zoo with his friends. They ate cotton candy. They saw lots of animals. All in all, they had a fun time.

No let me quote soup this
Jimmy went to the zoo with his friends.
They ate cotton candy.
They saw lots of animals.
All in all, they had a fun time.
The first quote only tells you what happened. It doesn't give you anymore info. Did they have a bad time? Was Jimmy mauled by a lion? If you read the second sentence, you would think they are at a carnival. If you see the third, they could have been hiking ect. The same thing happens. The context is lost. The same is true for an argument. If I say "Pac-Man did poorly on a poll," that doesn't give you the whole story and it doesn't give you my whole case. Furthermore, the quotes just take up more space. Don't believe me? Quote this post (using the reply in the bottom right) and see how small those 4 quotes were in plain text. It makes a huge difference.

When replying and discussing, you need to look at the whole picture. People don't write sentence by sentence. It flows together. When you quote soup, you really aren't listening to the other person. You will not be able to adequately understand what they are saying or what their point is. I knew our little debate was shot the minute I saw 15 quotes. How could anyone understand what I was saying? Furthermore, how could I understand what she is saying? The meaning is lost because you are debating points, not thesis. My argument is based on thesis. Replying paragraph by paragraph is fine because it is an aggregate of related points. But if you chop it up further and the meaning is lost. For instance, I could be referring to something I said 3 sentences ago. I've noticed that once I reduced the amount of quoting I do, I better understand what someone is saying. I can provide better responses and and easily understood. Cutting up into quotes is better for the writer. It makes them feel like they are winning a debate because they can counter specific points. But the reality is the debate never ends because no one will know exactly what the other was talking about. I criticize NE0N but it is a mistake I have made in the past.

When arguing or discussing, you should look at the whole. If you see two paragraphs, have no more than 2 quotes. Respond to the two paragraphs. Response to the entire support, not just the pieces that make up a whole. If you can, respond to the whole thing. Make only one quote. I'll end with this question. Is a car a bunch of parts. if you have mufflers, engines, fuel tanks and what, do you have a car? Is a car not greater than the sum of the parts. So which is greater: the sum of the sentences or the paragraph.

One more thing. Don't use ad hominids. Great way to look like a fool.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smashchu, this is a message board. You write posts, not doctoral dissertations.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is the same person talking about how he didn't want his time wasted earlier, isn't it?

It doesn't matter anymore SmashChu, just move on. I mean really, you're long past the point of gaining support for your side, who are you trying to convince? You're only casting yourself in a worsening light. If this keeps going on I will start giving warnings or infractions for consistent off-topic posts. Especially since I asked you to continue in Pac-Man's thread and have since been trying to end the conversation, only to have you continually insult me.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
The thought of an 8-Bit character does sound cool...however, Game & Watch already kinda fits that suit...eh, I kinda hope its fake. If we end up having "Jumpman" then I guess thats fine, but I'd rather have Duck Hunt Dog haha

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Even I have a hard time counting Pokemon Trainer's pokemon as fully individual, since the moveset kind of forces you to change pokemon both directly when you lose a stock and passively by nerfing you for not changing enough. So I always considered Brawl to have 37 characters.

Eh, I count them each as individual, but I get your reasoning.

My minimum guess is around forty-two, and I could see it going as high as fifty-one or so.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You'd think both of you would have the common sense to stop.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So.... Is it me or I'm not the only one on the whole "5-6 newcomers" prediciton?
Depends if you mean 5-6 newcomers in total, or 5-6 newcomers yet to be revealed. If it's the latter, then I've been guessing 8-10 newcomers right from the start, so I'm with you on that. Really don't see the former happening though, I'm sure Sakurai knows what really sells a Smash Bros game.

Depends if you mean 5-6 newcomers in total, or 5-6 newcomers yet to be revealed. If it's the latter, then I've been guessing 8-10 newcomers right from the start, so I'm with you on that. Really don't see the former happening though, I'm sure Sakurai knows what really sells a Smash Bros game.
I meant that the roster will have 40 characters. Sounds low but it's more possible than most people think.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I honestly just don't think there are too many characters 'worth adding' for lack of a better term anymore. So I guess 10-ish before the developers run out of characters they want to add?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
So.... Is it me or I'm not the only one on the whole "5-6 newcomers" prediciton?
I honestly think this will be the case. If it IS true that Smash 4 is coming out next Spring, and we still haven't seen a single newcomer in 6 months, then I think the max we're getting is 6, half of which being characters that no one asked for...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I honestly think this will be the case. If it IS true that Smash 4 is coming out next Spring, and we still haven't seen a single newcomer in 6 months, then I think the max we're getting is 6, half of which being characters that no one asked for...
Ironically having 6 newcomers with the addition of all 39 characters making the number of characters 45, that could be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom