• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not sure what to categorize it as, but is say it is a rumor of some sorts, considering that a character I said to Dreamy Sakurai was announced the next day to make an appearance.

So I'd say it is kind of a rumor.
Interesting as it might be, dreams are by and large even less credible than my uncle who works at Nintendo and says Geno is going to be in Smash 4. :rolleyes:

So no, they don't constitute rumors or leaks, sorry.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Interesting as it might be, dreams are by and large even less credible than my uncle who works at Nintendo and says Geno is going to be in Smash 4. :rolleyes:

So no, they don't constitute rumors or leaks, sorry.
Yes, but the only reason that I actually still think about the dream is the a character Sakurai said might be in the game, was announced the minute I woke up.
An dive predicted things in dreams before.

But if I must go to another thread, please send me a link.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's one of the things on my Demented Bucket List.

#594 Interrogate Capcom executives on why Mega Man fell out of favor so hard Inafunae had to make his own.
#595 Shoot whoever thought mandatory Google+ for Youtube was a good idea.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
That's one of the things on my Demented Bucket List.

#594 Interrogate Capcom executives on why Mega Man fell out of favor so hard Inafunae had to make his own.
#595 Shoot whoever thought mandatory Google+ for Youtube was a good idea.

Don't forget to go bother SEGA about Sonic '06. There's never enough payback for that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The actual quote doesn't say it's not lined up for Spring, it just says we're speculating over a misquote. So... I mean, this does destroy that rumor, but it doesn't confirm it won't release in Spring (though my guess always has been Q3/Q4).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Doesn't necessarily mean that it definitely won't come in spring, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Perhaps this will also give more time to reveal newcomers, and fix any issues they find in the programming.

majora_787

Smash Hero
More time isn't necessarily a good thing by default. I honestly can't imagine they would need much more than 30 months total with Namco's help, and considering Smash Bros.' track record so far, I think the game would come out perfectly fine with that 30 months of work with extra help.

majora_787

Smash Hero
More time to add in more newcomers would be excellent.
But I don't think there are even a huge number of characters worth adding at this point. A total of 10-12 newcomers would cover near every base and then some. And I don't think they need delays to do it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But I don't think there are even a huge number of characters worth adding at this point. A total of 10-12 newcomers would cover near every base and then some. And I don't think they need delays to do it.

I agree with this. The games are less than 2 months away from having been in development for 2 years (32 months if you count the preplanning that started in June 2011) and I have a very hard time imagining this game coming out any later than August of next year.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
24-32 months of planning, developing, and programming just for 6-12 newcomers? :-(

I guess it depends on who are those newcomers...

majora_787

Smash Hero
24-32 months of planning, developing, and programming just for 6-12 newcomers? :-(

I think what they are doing is picking 10-12 new characters and working to make their movesets spectacular in comparison to how they tend to be.

I mean look at what we're witnessing. We're seeing things in our current three newcomers you'd normally expect to see in our board's very own Make Your Move moveset contests. Mega Man's every move is based off a robot master. He has a smash attack projectile, a throwable shield, an 8-direction projectile, projectile aerial attacks, and who knows what else. Villager's got a really bizarre ability to pick up and store projectile attacks, a ridable projectile of his own, and a multiple-step setup for a powerful attack.

And trust me, I have tried. 10-12 characters is enough room to get some brand new faces and some big classic names in the roster perfectly fine.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

It's a given that we aren't getting a lot of newcomers, Sakurai has warned us of such for a long time. Having 3 reveals at E3, as opposed to Melee's 4 and Brawl's 5, is a testament to that.

Even then it's probably for the best. There aren't a lot of Nintendo All-Stars left, I personally have trouble making a roster of 50 characters where I feel that all characters are deserving and worthwhile. Plus, as Sakurai himself has said, there's a certain charm to games with a big cast of characters, but they tend to be very unbalanced. Just looking at how unbalanced Brawl is, imagine a cast of 50 characters who aren't polished the least. As a result of having less newcomers, more attention can be given to each newcomer to make them very unique and balanced, and we're even seeing quite some balancing for many of the veterans who were left behind in Brawl (Samus, DK, Link, etc).

In the end, it's for the best that we're probably getting somewhere in the 8-12 range (I don't think anything under 8 is plausible).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

10 to 12 wouldn't be bad if the final total was 45-50. Brawl's 18 newcomers were nice but Nintendo kind of shot themselves in the foot with how many noteworthy characters they used. I've been arguing this since the beginning but I feel SSB4 will go much deeper in obscure territory than the previous Smash games when it comes to newcomers.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
10 to 12 wouldn't be bad if the final total was 45-50. Brawl's 18 newcomers were nice but Nintendo kind of shot themselves in the foot with how many noteworthy characters they used. I've been arguing this since the beginning but I feel SSB4 will go much deeper in obscure territory than the previous Smash games when it comes to newcomers.
I don't see a problem with going "obscure." Why should Sakurai try to fill the roster with only characters that everyone will know? Nintendo fans know who characters like Starfy, Shulk, Isaac, Takamaru, etc. are, and that's what's actually important.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not saying that's a bad thing but, let's face it, Brawl got most of the characters that even the most casual of players knew. I actually like the fact that this is probably the reality with SSB4 because it will feel like more of a treat to the genuinely dedicated Nintendo nerds fans.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As long as they add a few new, yet largely familiar faces (which they've already done), I agree, going more obscure this time wouldn't be a problem.

The characters that move the most units are already pretty much series staples.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see a problem with going "obscure." Why should Sakurai try to fill the roster with only characters that everyone will know? Nintendo fans know who characters like Starfy, Shulk, Isaac, Takamaru, etc. are, and that's what's actually important.
I was actually a Nintendo fan, I didn't know who any of those characters were prior to joining the site (except for the assist trophy ones; and even then, I didn't know where they came from).

In any event, I actually have a problem with going obscure given the state of the Wii U and what Smash is intended to do. However, it would be interesting to see some unfamiliar faces. I just hope that they get the most important iconic ones in there first.

majora_787

Smash Hero
What is wrong with obscure, when it can get new players of Smash Bros. to get into other games? I mean they could have omitted games like Fire Emblem and Mother just because they're "obscure and japan exclusive". But they didn't, and it caused Fire Emblem to see a good deal more success and standard releases in the US for the most part.

Morbi

Scavenger
What is wrong with obscure, when it can get new players of Smash Bros. to get into other games? I mean they could have omitted games like Fire Emblem and Mother just because they're "obscure and japan exclusive". But they didn't, and it caused Fire Emblem to see a good deal more success and standard releases in the US for the most part.
I am not sure if you are responding to me or not. If so, I only mean that the effort would be better directed elsewhere. Especially considering the notion that many want Smash's roster to withstand the persistence of time. So if we have crazy characters playable that are just fine as assist trophies, that might be a problem. People buy Smash to play as Nintendo all-stars, they don't purchase the game to play as a character they have never heard of. Fire Emblem is a good example, but it didn't necessarily go mainstream until Awakening, close to a decade after Fire Emblem was introduced to Smash. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind obscure characters. I support characters that are obscure but have a chance (like Tingle or Waddle Dee). I wouldn't advocate adding a plethora of unfamiliar faces to a game that intends to develop iconic characters.

Isaac is great, I think he is okay as a character; Takamaru will most likely suffice as well. The others are...fine as assist trophies. That way hardcore Nintendo fans can still enjoy their character being implemented, but it doesn't impede on the casual crowd. However, the casual crowd arguably cares little about the roster as long as it has the essentials.

That is just my take on it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then again, it would be a little boring if all we got were the obvious big characters. I really wouldn't mind seeing a few obscure and not as well known characters such as Lip, Isaac and Takamaru in there etc.

Of course we should get a number of bigger characters too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Then again, it would be a little boring if all we got were the obvious big characters. I really wouldn't mind seeing a few obscure and not as well known characters such as Lip, Isaac and Takamaru in there etc.

Of course we should get a number of bigger characters too.
All we need is K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, and Mewtwo. And Sakurai has the freedom to pick any franchise he wants that could have a revival.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Mewtwo needs a new term. He's a veteran. He's just a veteran people will react to as if a newcomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom