• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I honestly think this will be the case. If it IS true that Smash 4 is coming out next Spring, and we still haven't seen a single newcomer in 6 months, then I think the max we're getting is 6, half of which being characters that no one asked for...
... Or Sakurai could be trying to leave exciting information for when people actually play the game, as opposed to showcasing most of the game before its release. There very well could be questionable choices, but I don't think Sakurai is going to give us three characters, only one of them being exciting for anyone, and say "that's the whole game folks".

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Ironically having 6 newcomers with the addition of all 39 characters making the number of characters 45, that could be the case.
6 is a pretty terrible number, but it's an unforgivably atrocious number since one of them is WFT, and even worse if 2 of them are Mii and Pacman. I'm not optimistic.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Perhaps we could get 5 or 6 MORE newcomers, as in addition to the three we've seen already.

I just don't think there is any way in all of hell that we'd only get 5 or 6 newcomers total, it just seems like way too little. Even if the release date rumor is true, I'd still think there would be at least a few more newcomers than just 6 or 5.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Perhaps we could get 5 or 6 MORE newcomers, as in addition to the three we've seen already.

I just don't think there is any way in all of hell that we'd only get 5 or 6 newcomers total, it just seems like way too little.
Well you can say the same for the new Street Fighter game where it will only have five new characters :troll:.
.n_n.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the roster is only 40ish, which I'm still not sold on, I have to wonder who Sakurai thought was worth cutting when he kept TL around.

I also very much doubt the newcomers will be limited to six, considering how much hype (and to a lesser extent sales) for this game hinges on the newcomers. Especially since Sakurai added eight characters to Melee and still thought that wasn't enough. Honestly if Sakurai were only planning to add six newcomers, imo that seems like a situation Nintendo would intervene on, even with the large amount of control they give him with the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, you guys are really making me wanna wait for a winter 2014 release.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If the roster is only 40ish, which I'm still not sold on, I have to wonder who Sakurai thought was worth cutting when he kept TL around.

Technically speaking he kept Young Link into Brawl, just with the new name Toon Link, over Mewtwo and Roy. So really I dunno why people think TL being revealed is any indication of cuts. :/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wow, you guys are really making me wanna wait for a winter 2014 release.

You should want that. But baby Nintendo can't afford that. This console is an utter flop, and I don't see much changing that outside of Smash, Zelda Wii U, and Mario Kart 9 (Which already doesn't look that great)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Toon Link was the 4th perfect Zelda character to have, representing the Toon Zelda games and it Zelda is a big series, so maybe he kept the Zelda roster to 4 again.
I think the big three will still have 4 characters, other series such as Starfox and Mother may lose a character. Fire Emblem, Kirby, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing will probably stick to the current number of characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Technically speaking he kept Young Link into Brawl, just with the new name Toon Link, over Mewtwo and Roy. So really I dunno why people think TL being revealed is any indication of cuts. :/
At the end of the day he's still a pretty direct clone of Link, and not crucial to representing the Zelda series, not to mention Young Link was an afterthought in Melee and TL was on the chopping block for Brawl, so it's not like the second Link has ever been a high-priority character.

And I don't think TL is an indication of cuts. Pretty much the opposite. All I was saying is that with a hypothetical roster of 40 (which I personally don't believe we'll get) cuts are inevitable, yet TL was kept around despite never being a priority addition.

I think if we can get TL back, it bodes well for other characters with questionable fates. Then again I never thought Sakurai was going to go cut happy anyway like many others did.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You should want that. But baby Nintendo can't afford that. This console is an utter flop, and I don't see much changing that outside of Smash, Zelda Wii U, and Mario Kart 9 (Which already doesn't look that great)

You say that but sales have picked up (and by that I mean doubled) in Japan, if only due to Dragon Quest X's WiiU release. And I assume you mean Mario Kart 8?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well to be honest I see more potential in the new Mario Kart than the last two versions and Bayonetta with X are a system sellers to me, add the New Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei, a new Metroid (hope so) and some hidden gems for 2015 and I will love my current Wii U, its only need a better library and some great exclusives and will pick up in no time, maybe Capcom could add new Monster Hunter in that schedule and the system will sell like Hot Cakes in Japan and maybe in America, the European market is a whole other story (for some reason they lost hope in the system and in Nintendo in general).

.n_n.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You say that but sales have picked up (and by that I mean doubled) in Japan, if only due to Dragon Quest X's WiiU release. And I assume you mean Mario Kart 8?

Oh did they double from 6 to 12? It's not hard to double a low number.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
At the end of the day he's still a pretty direct clone of Link, and not crucial to representing the Zelda series, not to mention Young Link was an afterthought in Melee and TL was on the chopping block for Brawl, so it's not like the second Link has ever been a high-priority character.

And I don't think TL is an indication of cuts. Pretty much the opposite. All I was saying is that with a hypothetical roster of 40 (which I personally don't believe we'll get) cuts are inevitable, yet TL was kept around despite never being a priority addition.

I think if we can get TL back, it bodes well for other characters with questionable fates. Then again I never thought Sakurai was going to go cut happy anyway like many others did.

By indications of cuts I meant both ways, whether there will be any or not. TL's reveal in no way indicates if there will or won't be cuts. I also I don't find the argument TL being on the chopping block in Brawl to be a valid argument, he still got in over Mewtwo and Roy which shows that Sakurai considers a second Link to be important, he had more priority then Mewtwo and Roy for Brawl anyway as he got in and they didn't. I also find the clone argument to be faulty to.

I think it is safe to say that, at this point, Sakurai considers having a second Link to be moderately important.

I'm not expecting him to go cut happy, but I am expecting around 3-5 cuts with a 42-43 character roster, not including transformations, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think a roster of 50 is much more plausible, this is coming from a pessimist as well. 45 is realistic if he actually cuts characters (which doesn't seem too likely sadly).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
By indications of cuts I meant both ways, whether there will be any or not. TL's reveal in no way indicates if there will or won't be cuts. I also I don't find the argument TL being on the chopping block in Brawl to be a valid argument, he still got in over Mewtwo and Roy which shows that Sakurai considers a second Link to be important, he had more priority then Mewtwo and Roy for Brawl anyway as he got in and they didn't. I also find the clone argument to be faulty to.

I think it is safe to say that, at this point, Sakurai considers having a second Link to be moderately important.

I'm not expecting him to go cut happy, but I am expecting around 3-5 cuts with a 42-43 character roster, not including transformations, which seems pretty reasonable to me.
I do admit, some people here do tend to talk as if Toon Link was the only possible cut from Brawl.... :/

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh did they double from 6 to 12? It's not hard to double a low number.

How come it is every single, god damn, ******* time I try to be a little optimistic about the WiiU someone has to throw me to the ground and curbstomp my naive face to a bloody pulp?

*sigh*

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Brawl's roster in many people's eyes was perfect (say for a few missing wanted characters) and the newcomers in Brawl do a good job of representing their most recent games or new series, there really isn't any need to cut anyone honestly.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
With Toon Link returning, (and having been revealed surprisingly early) and that there is overall no really good reason for any of Brawl's characters to be cut, (at least, in my opinion) at this point I'm expecting either just 2 cuts, or no cuts at all.

Though, I forget, has Sakurai ever directly stated that there definitely will be cuts?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
With Toon Link returning, (and having been revealed surprisingly early) and that there is overall no really good reason for any of Brawl's characters to be cut, (at least, in my opinion) at this point I'm expecting either just 2 cuts, or no cuts at all.

Though, I forget, has Sakurai ever directly stated that there definitely will be cuts?
I believe he said he didn't think there would be enough time to bring everyone back.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I can think in only two cuts too, maybe Jigglypuff / Lucario / PT and Ike / Wolf / Falco / Lucas.

.n_n.
I don't see Jigglypuff getting cut, especially not when she got an overhaul in the most recent Pokémon games. Falco's not going anywhere either, I feel. Everyone else there is a little less secure, except maybe Lucas (who was considered to replace Ness in Melee, so his inclusion has been a long time coming).

It's still possible that Brawl's entire cast could return then, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for it. It's not the most likely outcome, nor is it a likely possibility.
Nah, the entire cast probably won't be back, but most of them should be with any luck. Plus we're fairly likely to see at least Mewtwo return.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Falco is not going anywhere.

He's a secure character, a fan favorite, and is important to the Starfox franchise, and although he is a clone of Fox, his playstyle is what is unique about him.

For some reason, I feel Wolf is slightly less secure, but he is also very important to the Starfox franchise, a fan favorite as well, and unarguably has the most unique moveset out of the three Starfox characters in Brawl, so I'd say he's pretty safe as well.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.
That's not the same thing as saying there will be cuts from Brawl to 4. It may mean they don't have time for Ike or Falco or whatever, or it could mean they don't have time for Pichu and Dr. Mario.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's not the same thing as saying there will be cuts from Brawl to 4. It may mean they don't have time for Ike or Falco or whatever, or it could mean they don't have time for Pichu and Dr. Mario.

Do you have a link to that?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It was in one of those interviews around the time of E3, I remember reading it.

Either way, I'm still expecting cuts in some form. Re-creating 39 characters PLUS making a decent set of all new characters? That's A LOT of work. Kudos if they can pull it off, would be great, but certainly not expecting them to.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I stand by TL boding well for other up in the air characters. It doesn't confirm them or anything, obviously, but any way you want to look at it, if Sakurai were making significant cuts, TL wasn't one of the safer characters. Just because Sakurai prioritized him above other characters doesn't mean he was a high priority character. It's one thing when you're padding the roster, it's a whole other if Sakurai were going to be trimming it down. Had Brawl have had three less characters, one of them would be TL. If Sakurai decided not to pad Melee's roster, we wouldn't have had Young Link. If a character like TL can return, considering there is a history of clones, especially low-priority clones, not having chances on par with original priority characters, it doesn't indicate there won't be any cuts, I never said that, but it is an indication there probably won't be an excessive amount of cuts, because honestly TL doesn't really have too many points in his favour should Sakurai start taking substantial chunks out of the roster. Which he probably isn't doing. So it's rather moot.

So no, Toon Link isn't an indication of cuts. Though I do think he's an indication there won't be excessive cuts, which was an opinion held my many people. Not so much anymore since TL was revealed.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I stand by TL boding well for other up in the air characters. It doesn't confirm them or anything, obviously, but any way you want to look at it, if Sakurai were making significant cuts, TL wasn't one of the safer characters. Just because Sakurai prioritized him above other characters doesn't mean he was a high priority character. It's one thing when you're padding the roster, it's a whole other if Sakurai were going to be trimming it down. Had Brawl have had three less characters, one of them would be TL. If Sakurai decided not to pad Melee's roster, we wouldn't have had Young Link. If a character like TL can return, considering there is a history of clones, especially low-priority clones, not having chances on par with original priority characters, it doesn't indicate there won't be any cuts, I never said that, but it is an indication there probably won't be an excessive amount of cuts, because honestly TL doesn't really have too many points in his favour should Sakurai start taking substantial chunks out of the roster. Which he probably isn't doing. So it's rather moot.

So no, Toon Link isn't an indication of cuts. Though I do think he's an indication there won't be excessive cuts, which was an opinion held my many people. Not so much anymore since TL was revealed.
Again, like I said:
Brawl's roster in many people's eyes was perfect (say for a few missing wanted characters) and the newcomers in Brawl do a good job of representing their most recent games or new series, there really isn't any need to cut anyone honestly.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like cuts are kind of unnecessary. We have a lot of great characters, it would be a shame to see some deserving characters like Lucario, Ike, or Wolf get cut.

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting some cuts and that cuts will be inevitable. I think that all of Brawl's veterans are planned, but it depends on where they are in terms of priority. With Toon Link confirmed, I am just extremely unsure who the heck is prioritized and how far the development has actually gone. (it will be longer than Brawl soon, but I'm unsure if that means a majority of Brawl's veterans are complete) Personally, I find that Lucario and Snake are the biggest characters on the chopping block. I can't see Falco or Wolf getting cut as they are fan favorites, Jigglypuff is a staple at this point, and getting rid of Lucas would mean that Mother is losing representation. So, I believe that we will get around 2-5 cuts. He could have talked about every character that has appeared in Smash before, thus applying it to the Melee veterans. I definitely believe that Mewtwo will return as he is the most wanted character worldwide, but I'm not so sure about Roy.

As for newcomers, just getting the leaked 6 is not good enough. Sakurai stated before that he is done with researching which characters are the most wanted and is working on implementation. If we are getting the six leaked characters, then what kind of excuse does he have with not including demanded characters like King K. Rool, Palutena, or Shulk? I bet that we will get 5-10 more newcomers, excluding Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer.

If Sakurai plans to release this game in the spring, then he better make reveals faster. We still need a couple of more veterans to be confirmed, more stages that are in both versions, and what modes there will be in this game. There is just so little that is announced right now that I don't believe that this game will get a Spring release.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I wanted to share an interesting experience I had on Friday December 5th.

I had a dream, that I was interviewing Mashahiro Sakurai about Super Smash Bros. 4.

First let me describe the room we were in.
It was a gray room, with a red couch (which Sakurai was sitting on.) a black chair (which I was on.), a table between us, and a big screen with the IGN Logo for some reason.

I do not remembe any of the interview, I inly remember one part.

He asked me my 3 most wanted characters to appear in Super Smash Bros.
I said, "Skull Kid from The Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask, the N64 Logo, and Reggie fils-Aime.

While saying this, Sakurai was smiling, but when I said N64 Logo, he had a weird look on his face, but was back to smiling when I said Reggie.

He said back to me, "I'll see what I can do, but don't forget to always check the website."

Then I woke up from the dream, and it was somewhere from 2:30 AM to 4:30 AM.

I didn't think the dream meant anything, so I went back to sleep.

When I woke up later at about 7 or so, I checked the website, and Skull kid was an assist trophy.

I honestly don't know what to think of this.
I have predicted very small events in dreams before, such as on Christmas my parents saying our family is going to Disney World in May (with them saying nothing before but my Father showing desire to go with us), or predicting questions that will be asked on a test.

Please note that Sakurai asked what characters I want to APPEAR in the game, and not what FIGHTERS I want in.

I want to do more research on dreams and if dreams can really predict the future.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What does that have to do with Smash rumors or leaks? It should probably go in the Dream Thread, if that's still a thing.

Again, like I said:
Yeah I agree, this only started because I was commenting on the 40-roster rumor, in which some characters would inevitably have to be cut if it was true (which it most likely isn't). Personally I don't think cuts are overly likely.

I don't know why but I have this stupid and bad feeling that we're gonna get an unexpected cut or we're gonna get "Mega Man'd" for absolutely no reason.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What does that have to do with Smash rumors or leaks? It should probably go in the Dream Thread, if that's still a thing.
I'm not sure what to categorize it as, but is say it is a rumor of some sorts, considering that a character I said to Dreamy Sakurai was announced the next day to make an appearance.

So I'd say it is kind of a rumor.

Plus I don't want it in the dream thread, because I dotn want it mixed with all this Goku and Finn and Jake fantasies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom