• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it really depends on the matchups, your partner, and the stage. ivy does best with platforms and smaller stages with a teammate that is great at saving its recovery. like game and watch.

charizard needs large stages and a partner capable of poking really well. did someone say mach tornado -> rock smash shield **** combo??

anyway ivy and zard are both clearly support characters, which is why i said they are pretty limited. with the right partner and stage they can do some pretty **** stuff but i find that they both need some "baby-sitting" every once in a while (but maybe i just suck). squirtle can do anything, really, although killing is difficult if you aren't fresh.

also i love water gunning everyone and seeing how badly everyone gets messed up because of it

by the way withdraw is so **** lol and SO FRUSTRATING for the opponents to deal with.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Water Gun shenanigans are awesome. I've pulled off Water Guns on Ike's fsmash and Ganon's Warlock Punch for KOs, haha.

Kith

Smash Ace
My water gun won a tourny match against a Lucas and ice climbers team. I water gunned them off and watched the havoc lol

Vermy

Smash Champion
Ivy in teams: bullet seed everything that moves.

And the classic combo, teammate grab release to charged usmash.

Kith

Smash Ace
It's funny how some people hate Ivy in teams while some love her. I guess it's because I used to team with a bowser. Bulletseed to his Down-B is priceless

Kith

Smash Ace
I said we never speak of this again!
Oh that's right! Err...My water gun did NOT cause Nana to grab the ledge as Lucas tried to tether it, and then Lucas DID not Up - B stage spike Popo to his doom, and followed shortly after...:-D

I'm sorry, but that had to be the funniest moment ever XD

P.S. don't ever post again! Your post count will be 666! AHHHH

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I LOVE doing Water Gun shenanigans, even in 1v1. Squirtle's best move, no doubt.
It's just hilarious in teams though, especially if your teammate already knows you're going to yank it out at random, lol. I also <3 using it to give characters mega-slide smashes (Boozer F-smash lol).
Oh, and Water Gun + Grab Release shenanigans makes PT vs Earthbound 95-5 lulz.
Also, I got 2 Water Gun KOs in a money match vs. DLA on my last stock, it was precious. XD

Vermy

Smash Champion
Oh, and Water Gun + Grab Release shenanigans makes PT vs Earthbound 95-5 lulz.
While the matchup is in our favour by a decent amount, Ness in particular shouldn't be easy to grab. A legit Ness main will fair you in the face way too many times, and you'll take damage trying to fish for that grab. Lucas on the other hand...lol.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vzwNWUZWA

P.S. I love Ivysaur in teams. With Pokemon Trainer, you really have to sit down with your partner and talk about each Pokemon's role. In my team, when Squirtle is out, he's the aggressor. Ivy is the punisher. Charizard is either the punisher, or the down-b..er lol
That's hot Kith... thanks TK for bringing this to our attention.

One more thing I gotta practice ffrhgrhgfhr
TK do good? :):):)

o and about ivysaur in teams me and my now static partner rule 34 (falcon) have this combo with ivysaur which is really an anywhere combo where if i get a bulletseed he gets a free knee out of it

we call it the the bulletf***

ivysaur is really a support character in dubz as 2v1s with ivysaur are atrocious (unless u sumhow get both people stuck in ur bulletseed)

ivysaur gets easy upsmashes tho when the other team is distracted with your teammate

Charizard...i cant particularly say how well he is in dubz because im actually not that good with him outside of gimps (working on it) im not good with big characters because ill do stupid stuff like let people combo me because "im heavy and i can take it"

however i feel as though charizard has the ability to be both the main and supporting role in a team

Edit: sorry about my grammar and spelling...I've just been so used to writing like that because of aim and stuff

Kith

Smash Ace
TK do good? :):):)

o and about ivysaur in teams me and my now static partner rule 34 (falcon) have this combo with ivysaur which is really an anywhere combo where if i get a bulletseed he gets a free knee out of it

we call it the the bulletf***

ivysaur is really a support character in dubz as 2v1s with ivysaur are atrocious (unless u sumhow get both people stuck in ur bulletseed)

ivysaur gets easy upsmashes tho when the other team is distracted with your teammate

Charizard...i cant particularly say how well he is in dubz because im actually not that good with him outside of gimps (working on it) im not good with big characters because ill do stupid stuff like let people combo me because "im heavy and i can take it"

however i feel as though charizard has the ability to be both the main and supporting role in a team

Edit: sorry about my grammar and spelling...I've just been so used to writing like that because of aim and stuff
lol I'll give you credit for this in my video's description. I never even thought to try shell stalling stuff before :laugh:

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
yea that was me PMIRL <-(can i call u that) and but im only calling credit for bringing it up. That video Kith Made totally expanded on what i was doing because i was jus doing shell-stalled upsmashes but kith was doing amazing stuff with squirtle.....I <3'd it (in the vid)

good **** kith!

Kith

Smash Ace
yea that was me PMIRL <-(can i call u that) and but im only calling credit for bringing it up. That video Kith Made totally expanded on what i was doing because i was jus doing shell-stalled upsmashes but kith was doing amazing stuff with squirtle.....I <3'd it (in the vid)

good **** kith!
Thanks lol. I really want to get people to start sliding around with Squirtle more :-P. I was playin' some friendlies today, and that Hydrostallin' is nice :chuckle:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This will sound like a wierd question but is it a good mixup to to airdodge through someone? Considering Squirtle has the fastest ground attack in the game when back-to-back with the opponent.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I would pretty much never airdodge through someone. Very, very risky to be read hard. I suppose it could be good like once...just don't do it often.

T-block

B2B TST
I played around with it... Jigglypuffs do it a lot to land grabs and stuff, so I thought with the shellsling we could get the momentum boost, airdodge through them and land right behind them, facing them, into a jab/grab/f-tilt or w/e. It didn't work out too often though...maybe Squirtle falls too fast or something =\

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What I was sort of implying was to do it (only as an infrequent mixup) when the opponent was coming towards you too, similar to how Toon Links ibomb. I just thought this would be good because can attack in one frame when someone is behind him, which no one else apart form Zamus can really do, but even then our attack outprioritieses hers.

Can bair/ff bair be perfectly spaced into an autocancelled jab? or does bair have longer range than the jab, meaning that once you land your jab won't reach them if you get what I mean.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
if you hit with the sourspot of bair i don't see why you wouldn't be able to jab at low to mid percents. i usually grab in that situation if they are low to the ground though.

Kith

Smash Ace
Yeah grab-pummel-Jab combo will work after sour spotted backairs at the right percentages

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Alright everyone so I got a nice replay saved and after it happened it really made me wonder if this is already known for that terrible IC matchup.

I was playing a CPU(which doesn't make any difference in the scenario since DI and teching do not apply) on the dungeon portion of castle seige and when I knocked both IC's off the stage with Squirtle, nana initiated the up-b. Once I saw this I watergunned her(fully charged) and it completely wrecked the vert she got. Since she got no vert on the Up-b, when she flung popo he barely moved anywhere and didn't even come close to the edge. I was edgehogging anyway........but was it known that watergunning nana during the up-b made such a DRASTIC effect on the distance popo traveled and the amount of vertical nana got?

Kith

Smash Ace
If it's something out of the ordinary (I.E. more drastic than watergunning other characters), then no, I had no idea. I gotta try this out then.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
If it's something out of the ordinary (I.E. more drastic than watergunning other characters), then no, I had no idea. I gotta try this out then.
Kith if you have ever seen when Nana grabs the edge out of the tether version of the IC's Up-B and a player actually grabs the edge with Nana before Popo can. Popo's recovery looks very similar when you water-gun Nana during the Up-b. She travels next to no where vertically, and because of this Popo more or less barely makes it over her head.

I have a replay on my SD card so hopefully I can get it up to show the PT boards because at this point I feel like if we can watergun her during the Up-B consistently squirtle has a very different and new approach to the IC match-up.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Alright everyone so I got a nice replay saved and after it happened it really made me wonder if this is already known for that terrible IC matchup.

I was playing a CPU(which doesn't make any difference in the scenario since DI and teching do not apply) on the dungeon portion of castle seige and when I knocked both IC's off the stage with Squirtle, nana initiated the up-b. Once I saw this I watergunned her(fully charged) and it completely wrecked the vert she got. Since she got no vert on the Up-b, when she flung popo he barely moved anywhere and didn't even come close to the edge. I was edgehogging anyway........but was it known that watergunning nana during the up-b made such a DRASTIC effect on the distance popo traveled and the amount of vertical nana got?
It's because of the Up-B hitting something.

It works like Falcon/Ganon Down-B in that respect.

If the move hits a hurtbox (like a character or a block on Green Greens), the movement/momentum/etc. is reduced. Also, it stacks, so if the move hits multiple hurtboxes, the movement goes to almost zero.

Every bit of water in Water Gun is a separate hurtbox, so it effectively reduces that movement to zero if you Water Gun Nana. If Nana doesn't have much movement, Popo can't catapult well.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Awesome luis thanks for the info man that explains what happened to a tee...... and **** that really is metaknight I just never noticed it hahaha

Kith

Smash Ace
Practice your chain grabs with squirtle and charizard, and don't **** with ness's f-air. That's all I can contribute right now

Top Bottom