• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Toby.

Smash Master
This has nothing to do with dash out of shellshift. What actually is happening is a momentum boost. During shellshift you are always building momentum, until the very last frame (or so it feels). If you JC grab out of the last frame of the shell shift then you will likely get the same effect you are describing.

You can also charge a smash the same way. Up/down smash dont slide, but side smash does.
/snip
All squirtle's smash attacks slide. Hydroplane dsmash is super useful now.

TheEnigmaLiesBroken

Smash Cadet
I'm loving the new squirtle guys :) Very impressive.

I think I'd rather his B be bubble and his down B be water gun though, like mario. Just me though. I don't like the quick projectile being on my down button :/

ChKn

Smash Ace
At least you don't keep forgetting that you have Bubble at your use from time to time like me lol.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
1) if you have the time to watergun a projectile you can just move/approach instead

2) if you have time to watergun to clink you could have moved and been able to punish better

3) escape combos? You'll set yourself up for another one in the water gun lag

4) ranged harrass I'll definitely give to you. Squirtle doesn't have other mid/long range options. +1

5) all his other approaches are faster than WG, I'll give you the "safe" part but the followups out of WG are dubious at best IMO, and the area you can hit with is less than ideal and starts at a bad angle.

Please don't confuse the WG rant with a squirtle rant. I love playing squirtle and I think he's really good but almost all the possible uses for WG are better suited to other moves imho
1) What if I don't want to move or approach? (Marth MU)

2) Time? Watergun has a low start up if you just tap B and then hold up....

3) I've escaped a falcon knee once or twice with this. Maybe it only works well against people with so much aerial momentum that they cannot come back for you.

4) xD

5) Honestly all that matters is the safety.

Remember, watergun is just another tool. It is not at all useless. You should really mess around with it some more if you think that it is. It doesn't have as much startup or ending lag as you are implying, and even less so airborne.

I should also mention I mostly use watergun as a defensive option in MU's where I'm just way out-prioritized (link, marth, Ike, etc.). Watergun feels almost essential in the Ivy/Squirtle MU and the Marth/Squirtle MU since you have to play to their insane spacing.

Eaode

Smash Champion
1) What if I don't want to move or approach? (Marth MU)

2) Time? Watergun has a low start up if you just tap B and then hold up....

3) I've escaped a falcon knee once or twice with this. Maybe it only works well against people with so much aerial momentum that they cannot come back for you.

4) xD

5) Honestly all that matters is the safety.

Remember, watergun is just another tool. It is not at all useless. You should really mess around with it some more if you think that it is. It doesn't have as much startup or ending lag as you are implying, and even less so airborne.

I should also mention I mostly use watergun as a defensive option in MU's where I'm just way out-prioritized (link, marth, Ike, etc.). Watergun feels almost essential in the Ivy/Squirtle MU and the Marth/Squirtle MU since you have to play to their insane spacing.
Yeah. It seems we can agree at least that it is a situational tool. I can see that it's not *literally* useless but it is definitely niche. Imo the main thing holding it back is the startup angle haha.

Plasma

Smash Cadet
You can also charge a smash the same way. Up/down smash dont slide, but side smash does.

Run > shellshift > left/right c-stick + hold z > release when ready. You will move the same distance you described earlier, sliding all the while.
You can charge up and down smashes with the slide.

Up smashing:
Run > Shellshift > Up + A (Hold to charge, of course). If you don't use tap jump, Up + Y/X + A.
Down Smashing:
Run > Shellshift > c-stick diagonally down and towards the direction you first ran (Hold Z to charge).

Kudzu

Smash Rookie
Squirtle in PM2.5 is OP. He reminds me of Fox from Melee. Fast, quick powerful smash attacks, the ability to chase off the ledge and safely return (most of the time) and great with combos.

A couple things though:

Up smash is ridiculous. Way too powerful. I like being a **** with it, but it's got a ton of range and a ton of power. Needs to be nerfed a tad for the next version.

Side B chasing off the ledge is a high risk/high reward situation. If you can hit a recovering opponent with the side b off the ledge, you're pretty much guaranteed a kill. If you miss though, you're pretty much dead. Once again, high risk/high reward.

Love that he's just plain hard to hit due to his size. Even characters like Ike can miss him with huge moves just because he's tiny.

He looks like a baby. Legit.

Love the improved surf. Not only is it easier to recover, but it works as a pretty decent kill move when combo'd with tilts, aerials and smashes.

Also, I got a ****ING BLISTER on my right thumb from playing Squirtle. Hardcore.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Does anybody have any concerns with the current design of Withdraw/Aqua Jet? I ask this because I think some things need to be changed or at least inspected further. :/

Eaode

Smash Champion
I initially thought Withdraw needed some improvements but after playing a fair bit of squirtle, withdraw is totally fine (read: amazing)

Water Gun is very niche and I think it could stand to see improvement, but it's not totally useless. I think if the angle it starts firing at were raised slightly it'd be perfect.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I would definitely like the angle of water gun to be raised slightly to begin with. I'm really liking withdraw how it is right now for the most part, because it can lead into an aerial, jab, or grab afterwards depending on %.

Gamester

Smash Rookie
Well as far as specials I love all of them. They all do a specific thing so honestly I think they should all stay the same EXCEPT for water gun which should at least have the ability to shoot at a slightly higher angle if you hold up even when you only tap B. As for his smashes I think Dsmash is a bit slow, Fsmash is ok, and Usmash needs a bit less knock back especially at the higher portion of the hit box. Even when you only hit them with the tip they still go flying lol.

McNinja

Smash Ace
@monk, I have a crew battle with me playing Squirtle in it.

Should I still post it here even though it's a crew battle?

:phone:

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Having a hard time understanding all the Bubble hype.

It seems really good, but most situations where I'd use it, something else almost always works better; at least in terms of starting a combo, or approaching, or whatever. There's a few instances it seems alright. Am I not getting something?

Eaode

Smash Champion
It's disjointed so therefore safe. It's multihit and is great for poking shields. It's amazingly fast in a short hop. Most importantly, the thing it has over his other options like aerials and stuff is that it's a guaranteed knockdown. It's a guaranteed start to a combo or techchase.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Both the aerial and on the ground HB are disjointed?

I'm speaking about it more as an aerial. If the hit boxes are the same, then I still don't get it, because I get hit approaching with it more than any other approach. Feels like everything goes through it. That's my problem with it really. It's properties when it connects are great. I'm also liking it OoS

Eaode

Smash Champion
Don't try to trade with stuff with bubble. But it's extremely good and poking into where squirtle's body can't quiiite reach, but you can't exactly challenge stuff face on (MU dependant of course)

Mix it into your dashdancing and stuff. You can throw it out without getting into grab range for most characters, and it's great on shields.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Don't try to trade with stuff with bubble. But it's extremely good and poking into where squirtle's body can't quiiite reach, but you can't exactly challenge stuff face on (MU dependant of course)

Mix it into your dashdancing and stuff. You can throw it out without getting into grab range for most characters, and it's great on shields.
You talking about throwing it out in a dash dance grounded or as an aerial?

I'm still thinking of it mostly as an aerial. Haven't given much thought grounded as much cause of lag.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
You can charge up and down smashes with the slide.

Up smashing:
Run > Shellshift > Up + A (Hold to charge, of course). If you don't use tap jump, Up + Y/X + A.
Down Smashing:
Run > Shellshift > c-stick diagonally down and towards the direction you first ran (Hold Z to charge).
Okay weird. All these different techs. I should have suspected JC-Usmash would come into it. I missed that just like I did with Ike's side-b.

I'm still having a lot of trouble with standard forward-moving hydroplaining with usmash, but I feel pretty comfortable with options out of SS.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Squirtle can pseudo-doraki jump (without needing to sweetspot)

When holding the ledge, hit back and then forward again to wall cling right on to the ledge. Then walljump. You'll keep your double jump just like if you were to actually doraki jump.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I feel like his walljump is kind of short because I've tried doing edgeguarding with doraki jump fair but I don't travel as far as I thought I would and miss them.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I loved using bubble for recovery. Not only does it stall him in the air, but it's diagonal angle also prevents or avoids a lot of edgeguards.

Still learning to get his Withdrawal down. But I think it's sooo good, dash dance bait into withdrawal or grab depending on the situation...he's so effing mobile.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Withdrawl is a weird move. I feel like Im not using it enough.
Because I use it maybe twice a match.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I'd honestly say mid-high. Though obv it's too early. I def don't think he's top tier material, but I don't see him ever being considered "bad"

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Is sideB>nair>repeat actually any good. I can do this to the CPU to insane %'s and it seems to me that the CPU doesn't know how to DI. Seems to me that you can do any of squirtle's arials after being hit by sideB over and over, depending on who you do it on. But, I haven't done it on any real hardcore players yet.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Do you think he could definitely be tourney viable though?

I've seen some speculations saying that he's low tier, and he's not that great of a character.

Top Bottom