• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
If I withdraw and I'm nearing the edge, I just turn around so if they roll I can hit them, and if not I can safely slide away. :)

So do Zss and Squirtle have fastest jabs in game now?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
2:12

this is why i don't use withdraw

also the link player thought he was toon link, dthrow > upb all day

looked good other than that

also people should use the full jab combo more, free like 11%, refreshes moves, jab1 still comes out like frame 1 so it's hard to deal with
and squirtle doesn't have a spacie jab so he can't true combo anything out of jab1 ;c
I'd say that's a pretty bad reason for not using withdraw. It's not that hard to not use withdraw when you're right next to the edge. I use withdraw all the time as Squirtle, and the only time I've killed myself with it was the very first time I used it near the edge.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
What does the blue glow on withdrawal mean? Just that your time is almost up?

:phone:
Yup.

IIRC certain actions cause the timer to run down faster like turning around and jumping.

Also later today I'm going to make a general info thread as well so we have a compilation of advanced techniques and stuff like that.

Kudzu

Smash Rookie
Does anybody's left thumb really hurt from playing Squirtle? I've got a mad blister on mine from some mad hardcore Squirtle training and playing.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my thumb was sore on the first day 2.5 came out. Squirtle is SO INTENSE!

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
So, just a thing to note... Squirtle's Water Gun eats the ball on Ness's and Lucas's PK Thunder, making them just insta-die.

SQUIRTLE. TOO GOOD.

Edit: LOL i even was able to push Lucas while he was curving the PK Thunder ball and made him totally mess up XD

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
That is interesting... If only squirtle could aim water gun and curve it like in of Pit's arrows. :)

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Squirtle's water gun was fixed in 2.5b. Now it's even awesomer than it was before. For those of you that haven't seen WGS' vid, I really liked his use of water gun.

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
did they fix the Water Gun charge glitch in 2.5b?
the gltich where his watergun charge disappears when he jumps in withdraw?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So, just a thing to note... Squirtle's Water Gun eats the ball on Ness's and Lucas's PK Thunder, making them just insta-die.

SQUIRTLE. TOO GOOD.

Edit: LOL i even was able to push Lucas while he was curving the PK Thunder ball and made him totally mess up XD
As a Ness main and squirt player, I can tell you that characters with better control over projectiles like Pit, or those whose have that perfect trajectory to gimp a Pk kid recovering from below (Link, Tink, Mario, peach, etc) are more of a bane to the PK kids while recovering.

But bubble is stupid good against PKT2. Actually just stupid good in general.

Frame 2 jab is sick. I've been SSing into jab resets recently, so fast they have no time to react. A good mix up from grab at lower percents.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
haha well im sure many matchups will be had. squirtle dittos among them
im still TERRIBLE tho, I can barely control him xD it will be a learning process.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Sounds like it'll be fun. I'm calling pink.

I've been messing around a lot with Lv9 CPUs to get the hang of moving with squirtle. They're great at moving a lot, so let you try out various kinds of movements.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lvl 9s all Ive gotten to play so far x.x I just got the game 2 hours ago and when my roommates wanted to play, it kept freezing. I DLed 2.5b and its working now but they all went to bed xD

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If I were at the dorm, I'd try get someone to give me a ride to your place. But I won't be back until 9:30 tomorrow.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
It would be a bit late if my first class was before 2:20. This semester's Mondays are nice that way. I could theoretically wake up at 2 and still make it to class on time, although given the time it takes to get to centennial, I'd have to be pretty lucky with buses.

EDIT: If you're able to play PM, does that mean your Wii can read SD cards now?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Oh man, walls help Squirtle's recovery so much! He can wall cling forever. That also really helps for edgeguarding. Jump down and cling on the wall, then intercept with fair/nair. Btw, who has witnessed the auto-snap when Squirt upB's right next to (and slightly under) the ledge? I've managed to get it down consistently, so I can stall with it, but it requires a DJ.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yooo, the 12% armor on dsmash is SOOOO good! Squirt can just use it to tank through get-up attacks like a BOSS and counterattack in a hearbeat. :estatic:

I knocked DK down and he didn't tech. Normally with other chars, I'd be forced to give him some space so I can cover all of his get-up options, but with Squirt, I just homed in on him and dsmashed. Absorbed the get-up attack without any drawback and immediately killed him. So good! :roll:

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Down smash is really good. That along with up smash are his two best, and are very good.

Wieners

Smash Apprentice
Did a quick search on this forum and discovered that no one had made any note of this but Squirtles RAR is godlike. It pretty much teleports you forward because it uses your shellshift. RAR into wavedash can take you all the way from one end of smashville to the other as well.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Did a quick search on this forum and discovered that no one had made any note of this but Squirtles RAR is godlike. It pretty much teleports you forward because it uses your shellshift. RAR into wavedash can take you all the way from one end of smashville to the other as well.
Shellslinging
Description- Squirtle is dashing forwards, then quickly jumps forward while turning around, getting a sort of "sling" to his jump.
How to perform- Dash forwards, then input a pivot and jump and the same time. You shouldn't see Squirtle turn around at all, but when he jumps he'll be facing backwards.
Project: M Addition: ShellDash/SlingDash/Some other cool name for it? : Wavedash in the direction you were running right out of a ShellShift. This gives you a really long wavedash because you have a lot of pre-existing momentum.​
already listed :3

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I think that explanation on how to perform it is a little off, tbh. Just turning around immediately is a regular RAR. To get the the "sling" you mention, you have to slightly delay the jump so that Squirtle gets the increase in momentum from the Shell Shift. At least, that's how it works in my experience.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
It would be a bit late if my first class was before 2:20. This semester's Mondays are nice that way. I could theoretically wake up at 2 and still make it to class on time, although given the time it takes to get to centennial, I'd have to be pretty lucky with buses.

EDIT: If you're able to play PM, does that mean your Wii can read SD cards now?
no, weve been using leos wii.
BUT

my sd card broke today. not even joking. omfg.

ill go to the store and buy one eventually I guess. bring yours on fri to be safe tho

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Alright. Do you want me to bring my Wii too, or is just the SD card and a controller alright?

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
Squirtle is seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen.

On a serious note though, as I was looking through the vids thread, it seemed that most people tried to just edgeguard with sh bubble, sometimes downtilt. I feel like squirtle might have some untapped potential from the ledge, such as ledgedrop backair, as well as ledgedrop (or ledgejump) b-reverse watergun, but you have to times those just right. These could be good again Ike's recovery? I dunno yet, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Also, on the recovering end, if you are forced to get to the ledge what do you guys think are some good options? I've seen ledgejump bubble, but that just seems gimmicky, and I think it can be punished on shield.

Edit: again for edgeguarding, what about sh waveland to get off stage > fair/bubble? I haven't seen anyone do that yet. I feel like people are letting the opponent get back on stage too easily.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Bubble is really good against characters with a recovery that you know where they are going to be. I end up using fair, sometimes bair to edgeguard characters with a less predictable recover for some damage instead of trying to just kill them with bubble.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Currently, I don't drop off the ledge, hit them, then DJ/upB because I'm afraid that I'll miss or SD lol. I usually drop off, DJ bair/bubble/fair instead of that.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I like to full jump out and fast fall a fair accordingly to how they are recovering most of the time. I over estimate how long the fair lasts, I think Its because I play link too much. If I can't make it off stage in time, Or they are falcon, I'll just ftilt down/bubble/Dsmash from the stage, and follow up accordingly. Often times a bubble can force them to Up-B frantically and give up on sweet spoting, setting up for an easy Dsmash stage spike or Fsmash kill.

Squirtle has great edge guarding, but I think he does it more like Jiggs than, say Marth or DDD. just keep knocking them away with weak knock back moves, stealing jumps and wracking up percents.

Top Bottom