• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
I think he could be top tier. He has great mobility, great edgeguarding and gimping, safe recoveries, and his turn around can do so much stuff it's unbelievable

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
i don't think his recovery is terrible, he recovers very well high with side-b. I think it's around average.

Kudzu

Smash Rookie
I think he could be top tier. He has great mobility, great edgeguarding and gimping, safe recoveries, and his turn around can do so much stuff it's unbelievable
I agree with this. Although it's far too early to tell what tier he's going to fall in, I do believe for these reasons (and more!) that Squirtle will be in one of the higher tiers.

Don't forget that he's also a slippery son of ***** that's tiny and hard to hit.

He's got kill moves up the wazoo. He can chase characters off the ledge. He can effectively guard the ledge. He can combo. He's hard to hit. Honestly, I think he's too strong. In the right hands and with a lot of practice he can really be trouble. (assuming you don't accidently kill yourself with side b!)

FRENUM

Smash Cadet
You can short hop watergun with squirtle ^__^ great for baiting and poking. Short hop bubble to grounded bubble is a great setup too. I feel I have a very good understanding of squirtles physics and metagame (due to hours and hours of practice in training mode) and I will hopefully be posting a some matches in the next couple of days. Should be pretty entertaining ;)

:phone:

Life

Smash Hero
You can do a mini-Waterfall straight out of sideB. And I do mean MINI. Like it's the tiniest jump ever. I SD'd a couple times out of the blue until I figured out what was going on.

Just a random observation, don't mind me.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
When you do the up B out of side B, if you land it correctly, it has a bunch of killing power.

Also, I love short hopping bubble because I love the angle and space it covers.

<3 Squirtle.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've tried to aqua jet too fast before and I've just jetted right downward. Has this happened to anyone else?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I will hopefully be posting a some matches in the next couple of days. Should be pretty entertaining ;)

Super hype

Create another new technique that makes him fly plz. Oh wait did they take away TL's SAGT'ing in 2.5?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Super aerial glide toss. It was a glitch in 2.1 that resulted in a huge amount of momentum AGTing directly out of wiggling out of hitstun.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
and i actually found it months before anyone else but never posted something big about it, just noted it in a big rob info dump

;c

also it wasn't TLink specific but it was easier to do it with him than any other char because he could put himself into hitstun with a bomb

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I could make it, but I'm not good with updating things on the OP or making it super fancy...

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
So why does a fully charged water gun get cancelled out when you jump during withdraw? I played around a little bit with this "mechanic" and there doesn't seem to be any beneficial qualities to this. It doesn't appear to extend withdraw's duration or heighten the jump distance.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
It's just a glitch. There's no specific benefit to it, lol.
Awww....that's a bummer. On a side note, I realized that shield grabbing with squirtle isn't really a viable defensive option since he's a slippery little bugger xp

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
How do you guys edgeguard with Squirtle? I feel like my Squirtle is pretty bad at it.

Also, for recovery, I assume you SideB when up high, and UpB when low? Are there any options I'm missing? SideB too low causes you to die, and UpB up high doesn't seem to have any benefits over SideB.

Also, I'm planning to smash with Stingers on Friday once we're back at University, so if you guys want, I can upload videos of my Squirtle (as well as my ROB and Ganon) being terrible. It'd probably just be a long video with all of our playing rather than each match uploaded separately, though, since I don't have the time to do that.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I agree about it being easy to hit him out of it, but is there anything else that he can use to recover when low? I suppose he could aqua jet if he's close enough, but to my knowledge there isn't anything else that lets him go up.

And now you have an avatar from Haruhi? If I hadn't just switched to this one of Black Lotus, I'd have to switch to the long haired ponytail Haruhi from Disappearance.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
On characters with predictable recoveries, bubble can do wonders against them. Short hop then bubble at edge, or drop down and bubble is pretty good. Fair and Bair can also do pretty well off the stage sometimes.
While recovering, I love Side B then the up B thing out of it because it can go pretty far and be a bit unpredictable.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Waterfall has like, no hitbox directly above squirtle, so it's easy to get hit out of it (see: shine)

Trying to overshoot the ledge and then fall onto it seems to be the better option if you have to recover low.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Waterfall has like, no hitbox directly above squirtle, so it's easy to get hit out of it (see: shine)

Trying to overshoot the ledge and then fall onto it seems to be the better option if you have to recover low.
Yeah, that's what I've been going for as well (assuming I have the option of recovering from that high). As a Ganon main, I can imagine plenty of different ways to hit Squirtle out of his UpB. Although just a simple stomp seems like it'd be pretty effective, there's nothing better than a suicide flame choke.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I wonder if Ganon could connect with a Wizard's foot? That would be pretty awesome.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Somebody said Squirtle is bad at edgeguarding? I thought he was relatively excellent at gimping.

His Nair sends enemies at a very low angle. His water gun can steal jumps and has tons of priority.

Oh and bubble. Nuff said.
Squirtle and Pit = best gimpers?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
When I was playing with my friends yesterday, at certain percents I could juggle them pretty easily with 2-3 Usmashes. Was this just because my friends aren't that good at this game, or is it a viable tactic?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Is that on wifi or offline?

SideB looks way better than I thought. I need to use it more, lol.

Edit: Was that at low % and/or against fast fallers?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Top Bottom