• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Never cared for those stories, really. Too boring mg for me.
Dude, have you even read Harold? That was the crowing piece of all the stories in the series for me. If you haven't, I highly suggest you read it. You can probably find it on the internet somewhere.
Of course, if you still don't like the books, it's fine. Your entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, no matter how wrong it is:p.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Dude, have you even read Harold? That was the crowing piece of all the stories in the series for me. If you haven't, I highly suggest you read it. You can probably find it on the internet somewhere.
Of course, if still don't like the books, it's fine. Your entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, no matter how wrong it is:p.
That opinion came from myself as a child reading them. Maybe I'll re read them sometime.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There will be no Spoon Sword... But I'd like Mewtwo to fight as if he uses an invisible sword anyway. His psychic powers should translate in a lot of range. Grab range to, cause I want him to kill off people early with U Air and B Air. Also, F Throw should work properly.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hey, have you guys seen this?
Masahiro Sakurai said:
...No, Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS was never intended to be played at fighting game tournaments. It really is disappointing to see the community try to turn this wonderful game into what it isn't. I thought that after Super Smash Brothers Brawl this community would stop trying to hurt the integrity of the Super Smash Bros. series, but they have just come back for more.

Yes, it does hurt that despite all of the work put into creating the beautiful stages and finely tuned items, all the community does is play on the [Omega] stages with no items. It's like watching your children being taken away before your own eyes, and you are unable to do anything. Maybe one day, all players of the Super Smash Bros. series will play it like I intended.
I love Sakurai. I really, truly do. But sometimes I question him. He includes an item switch and he includes Omega forms, and expects us not to use them? I mean, I, as a semi-casual, typically play on normal stages, but use Omega forms of stages that have ridiculous stage hazards (i.e. Stage Bosses), and I think that that's great! I can listen to all the tracks I like and play in a variety of settings without playing on an overly-hazardous stage. And items? Well, I play with a few on low frequency, such as the Beam Sword, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Green Shell, Ore Club, Fire Bar and Smash Ball, and I love that I can do that! Sakurai includes these things and he gets upset when we use them. It's sort of stupid, really. Unbelievable, even. Incredibly self-centered, too. You expect us to play the game the way you intended even if we don't enjoy it. Just, no. There's no other way to say it. No. I just can't comprehend this man's thought process. He's a great director, for sure, but he's a little frustrating at times. Let us play the way we want to. We have fun, you print money. Why do you even care? Oh, well, as long as he continues to include an item switch and Omega forms, I couldn't care less what he thinks of me and how I play. I love him, but I just don't care.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, because a quote pulled out of the ass of some random idiot from Gamefaqs is something to actually take seriously. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We can also demand him not to add any items at all and let him spend his development time mostly on including all the absurd character choices we have.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yes, because a quote pulled out of the *** of some random idiot from Gamefaqs is something to actually take seriously. :rolleyes:
This is true. And, just in case anyone else who browses GameFAQs and noticed a similarity between my post here and another on GameFAQs is wondering, yes, I am "Jergingha" on GameFAQs. If you don't get that reference, then I don't know what to say to you.
I do suppose that it's pretty unreliable, but it's lack of grammatical errors and uncanny similarity to the way Sakurai is apparently talks grabbed my attention. Of course, take it with a grain of salt, but I think it's still pretty interesting to discuss.

EDIT: After revisiting GameFAQs, I can basically confirm that it was indeed pulled out of the anus of some GameFAQs user. My shame and embarrassment for being so utterly gullible aside, we should probably disregard this and move on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The troll that posted it made the account just today, there is no source for the quote, the language is much more antagonistic than anything Sakurai has said in interviews, and it completely goes against what he has said in regards to how people play Smash.

It should've been painfully obvious it was fake.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There will be no Spoon Sword... But I'd like Mewtwo to fight as if he uses an invisible sword anyway. His psychic powers should translate in a lot of range. Grab range to, cause I want him to kill off people early with U Air and B Air. Also, F Throw should work properly.
An invisible sword? IDK
Make it an invisible spoon shaped sword and you got yourself a deal. :emptysheep:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The troll that posted it made the account just today, there is no source for the quote, the language is much more antagonistic than anything Sakurai has said in interviews, and it completely goes against what he has said in regards to how people play Smash.

It should've been painfully obvious it was fake.
*fake quote*

^actual reaction

What a moron, whoever wrote that.
Thank you, kind sirs, for exponentially multiplying my guilt and shame to the point that I'm blushing as I sit at my computer.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I once heard that Sakurai made Meta Knight broken in Brawl simple to prevent the game from being competitive.
Whether or not that is actually true? Idk.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I once heard that Sakurai made Meta Knight broken in Brawl simple to prevent the game from being competitive.
Whether or not that is actually true? Idk.
Definitely not. There's no evidence to support that claim, as far as I know and I run the Development History thread.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's true that Sakurai removed wavedashing in Brawl, for what it's worth, given that it was never intended.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
for the record, street fighter 2's combo system was never intended. but was kept because without it the game would have been boring.
Thankfully Wavedashing isn't the sole thing that makes Smash interesting.

Not to hate on Melee or anything. I just don't think Wavedashing is the worst thing to have ever been removed.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
As silly as Brawl's design was, I doubt Meta Knight was designed to be an anti-competitive character as much as someone that happens to be a barrage of design mistakes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
for the record, street fighter 2's combo system was never intended. but was kept because without it the game would have been boring.
Unlike wavedashing, though, would later become a staple in nearly every fighting game ever. Even fighting games that don't have the complex Street Fighter-esque system and/or are obscurities(subjectively, Digimon Rumble Arena comes to mind as a good example) have combos in them in whatever form.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty sure tripping was meant to be the anti-competitive mechanic.

Still it does bug me to see people complain that Sakurai never throws them a bone or has it out for the competitive community given he specifically made Melee for a hardcore audience and the changes he made in Smash 4. I won't defend tripping, but I won't defend toxicity either.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pretty sure tripping was meant to be the anti-competitive mechanic.

Still it does bug me to see people complain that Sakurai never throws them a bone or has it out for the competitive community given he specifically made Melee for a hardcore audience and the changes he made in Smash 4. I won't defend tripping, but I won't defend toxicity either.
Honestly, Sakurai works with what he's got. He new the GameCube was for the hardcore Nintendo fans so he gave them a nice competitive game, Wii was undoubtedly over family friendly so he went super casual, Wii U is somewhat in between, much like the N64, and while I don't believe the original Super Smash Bros. had a set direction it was meant to take I find the two to be most closely related, casual enough to be played by anyone, yet hardcore enough to be played by the competitive pros.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I think we can at least all agree that Sakurai's handling of competitive SSB are better than Gamefreak's handling of competitive Pokemon. Looking at you Rayquaza.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think we can at least all agree that Sakurai's handling of competitive SSB are better than Gamefreak's handling of competitive Pokemon. Looking at you Rayquaza.
Beyond making Fairy to deal with Dragons, I doubt GF cares in that aspect.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If there's one game that defines Sakurai's gaming philosophy, it's Kirby's Adventure. Copy Abilities were introduced with the sole purpose of appealing to both audiences.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Honestly, even though that quote was fake, it didn't seem fake. It really does sound like something he'd say, and I'm pretty sure he's said something to that effect in the past. But that's just the cynic in me and my tendency to see everyone else as the enemy talking, I guess.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
And I feel doing that was completely unnecessary, but that's another can of worms.

I think they do, otherwise, why have things like online tournaments or nationals and such?
Well, they themselves admitted Dragons were unbalanced, so who knows, maybe they could have neutered them without Fairies somehow.

And they have tournaments and stuff to appeal to the competitive crowd. They are a huge mixed bag in terms of balance there, but that is more the fault of the Doubles format than anything. Things like Soul Dew and most legendaries are banned, but MeVos like Kanga aren't. For now it's a matter of seeing just how much ORAS changes balance on their side since it's already messed with Smogon's(hai Ubers Greninja).

Igzex

Tripping and acting out of hitstun weren't added in to spite competitive play as much as they were a poorly designed attempt at trying to bridge the gap between Wii's target audience and those who mastered the deceptively complex Super Smash Bros Melee.

As for Pokemon I really don't know what Gamefreak is doing honestly. I can see them introducing Fairies to encourge steel and poison attacks as well as be an answer to the overpowered dragon type....Then they answer disgruntled dragon fans with Mega Salamence. Meanwhile the psychic typing they fixed in gen 2 is barely any better than Ice or Poison nowadays with ghosts and dark types continuing to get buffed.

And nonsense like Aegislash.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Beyond making Fairy to deal with Dragons, I doubt GF cares in that aspect.
And nerfing weather.
And buffing Defog.
Those three things did wonder to the competitive pokemon metagame. Thank goodness that not everyone and their mothers are running Politoed or Tyranitar or spamming Draco Meteor with almost no drawbacks anymore.

Poor ice types really need a buff, though. The only pokemon who really benefits from that type more then it's hurt by it is Mamoswine.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
And nerfing weather.
And bugging Defog.
Those three things did wonder to the competitive pokemon metagame. Thank goodness that not everyone and their mothers are running Politoed or Tyranitar or spamming Draco Meteor with almost no drawbacks anymore.

Poor ice types really need a buff, though. The only pokemon who really benefits from that type more then it's hurt by it is Mamoswine.
I agree with this completely. Ice types have got nothing but worse as the generations go on. Give them a resistance to water, grass, and fairy please.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Also, they should seriously reconsider a total base stat rebalance on every species. That way, the oh-so-controversial Smogon wouldn't have to ban so much.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tripping and acting out of hitstun weren't added in to spite competitive play as much as they were a poorly designed attempt at trying to bridge the gap between Wii's target audience and those who mastered the deceptively complex Super Smash Bros Melee.

As for Pokemon I really don't know what Gamefreak is doing honestly. I can see them introducing Fairies to encourge steel and poison attacks as well as be an answer to the overpowered dragon type....Then they answer disgruntled dragon fans with Mega Salamence. Meanwhile the psychic typing they fixed in gen 2 is barely any better than Ice or Poison nowadays with ghosts and dark types continuing to get buffed.

And nonsense like Aegislash.
And nerfing weather.
And bugging Defog.

I agree with this completely. Ice types have got nothing but worse as the generations go on. Give them a resistance to water, grass, and fairy please.
Also, they should seriously reconsider a total base stat rebalance on every species. That way, the oh-so-controversial Smogon wouldn't have to ban so much.
As a casual Pokémon player, I have no idea what the hell is going on.:psycho:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Edit: Accidental Post.

I was starting to type something up, changed my mind and quit, and I accidentally posted it anyway.
So, uh, yeah. Spoons are cool.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Tbh I've always thought that Ice types should resist and be super effective to Water types. Gamefreak literally has it backwards, as if they have no idea what actually happens to water in cold temperatures. lol

Oh, and Psychic types should resist and be super effective to Fairy types. Sort of like a "I don't believe in fairies" situation.

Last edited:

Igzex

Actually there's freeze dry which is unique in that it's an ice move that's super effective against water types.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I never thought the Dragon-type needing nerfing, myself. I don't play competitively, but I was aware of how Garchomp made everything it's *****, but it's a ****ing landshark, it should make everything it's ****.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Psychic is a type I don't complain about because nearly every viable Psychic out there has some sort of good Fighting-type coverage. Some, such as the Lati twins, don't need it.

And Ice needs more love. Outside of a few select Pokemon, it's pathetic on everything else. At least Kyurem-B/W have those beefy attacking stats...but unfortunately B can't use his to good effect. At least the mixed sets are vicious.

Top Bottom