• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Ok, guys stop the stupid ****.

Just so you know, ZeRo and most other pros can play any char at a higher level than all of you, when they have to choose who to use to BET money (because that's what a tournament is) they choose the one with the greatest chance to win them that money.

In fact ZeRo only dittos people at tournaments he goes on friendlies and he hasn't lost a set. You pick a character, he picks the same character against you and wins. Yet when it's time for tournament matches he still chooses Diddy.

Picking the best character doesn't mean you are "unsure of yourself", it means you understand the options every character has and the needs that you have. In a sense it means you are more sure of what you can do and can't do.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Saying that they don't play said character because X is an excuse.
Excuses aren't always neccessarily wrong. A valid justification can still be considered an excuse.
But do they know about the rest of the game (besides matchups)? No. Therefor they are nothing more than just a Fox player. Done.
You can't be a good Fox player if you don't know Fox matchups.

Furthermore, you don't have to play characters to know their matchups. I could tell you all about the Charizard vs Zero Suit Samus matchup, but yet I never even play Zamus.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This discussion reminds me of a lot of the talk made during M.Dood's The Online Warrior series.

Starts about 7:15. Wasn't that into MvC3 myself, but man were these videos great to listen to back in the day.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Speaking of tournament players, I keep seeing hate on ZeRo for no reason, he's the best Sm4sh player out there and possibly the best PM player, and he's trying Melee, yet people are saying he sucks. Wut
He has claimed many times he won't play Melee. Last tournament I was he was asked whether he was trying to become the best at it and he said he thought it was completely impossible to be the best at Sm4sh and Melee concurrently, and that he preferred to stick with Sm4sh (plus the fact that he would have to put years of practice into Melee to reach the top level at this point).

He doesn't suck. I believe he's already like top 20 something, no? Not exactly the best but that's still incredibly high.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He has claimed many times he won't play Melee. Last tournament I was he was asked whether he was trying to become the best at it and he said he thought it was completely impossible to be the best at Sm4sh and Melee concurrently, and that he preferred to stick with Sm4sh (plus the fact that he would have to put years of practice into Melee to reach the top level at this point).

He doesn't suck. I believe he's already like top 20 something, no? Not exactly the best but that's still incredibly high.
I think that should be told to te people in the comment section saying he's got the most boring Melee Fox

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think that should be told to te people in the comment section saying he's got the most boring Melee Fox
I don't really watch his matches, I have no idea if it's boring or not. Also I don't really idealize any top level players, but I try to keep things realistic. I understand why they pick good characters and it's obvious that they should. The people that I criticize are the low level players who only stick to high tier characters, those people have no understanding of why a character is low or high tier yet they think picking a high tier char will give them an edge when at their level of play it normally doesn't.

I consider myself very good at MOBAs and I have always loved to pick "underused" characters or characters considered bad that I know are good because I have a very solid understanding of the game. I have normally started using characters months before they catch on to the normal population (who are just copying the pros) because the pros don't use said character until they are shown to be good at the game (which means weeks/months of testing). I have dealt with many people who insult me because of my choices and claim I am bad for picking them. Those people are the people who should be crucified as they are mindless sheep just gloating what they hear with no understanding at all.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This discussion reminds me of a lot of the talk made during M.Dood's The Online Warrior series.

Starts about 7:15. Wasn't that into MvC3 myself, but man were these videos great to listen to back in the day.
In my prime, I used a lot of the UMVC3 cast outside of my main trio(Wesker/Doom/Shuma) because it was fun to experiment with different playstyles, even if I lost.

Taskmaster/Chris/Doom was so fun for keepaway. Meanwhile, Captain America/Wesker/Sentinel is an interesting offensive core. There's just so many examples. Shame I don't have my copy anymore.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I won the only tourney that was held in my area.
2 stocked everyone except a single Bowser player.
Do you know how shocked people were when they got decimated by my Pit..? :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
No, but I definitely know how arrogant this comes across as taking the previous discussion into account.

Just pointing that out.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
You want my 2 cents on the all this tier-bickering ****? Here's something I said a few pages ago:

"No matter how much you love a character, at the end of the day, you're playing to win. You don't go to tournaments to lose to everybody. You need results. So no matter how good you are with that character, no matter how much advanced techniques you've mastered, all the in's and out's you've memorized, every option you're character has against every scenario, sometimes you're best just isn't good enough.

And that's the hard, cold, ugly truth..."

So don't hate on people because they play "high tier" characters in a game that's probably the most balanced other than 64.

Also, here's a quote made by Average Joe when asked about his Custom DK:
"I didn't make the game. I just play it."

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Wait, wait, wait... I thought you mained Dark Pit. Because, if you really did use Pit, then you just threw your whole side of the previous discussion out the window.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I ran roughshod at a tourney I hosted the other day. Had to enter alongside my co-host to keep the brackets symmetrical. I bodied a few players that toe-to-toe our region's finest on a semi-weekly basis with Dedede, my main, the contentious low tier and worst heavy in the game so far. I honestly wasn't even trying up until grands because there was no money involved, because I promised the other participants that neither myself nor my co-host would be so grimy as to enter our own tournament and take money that was supposed to be their incentive for competing. I only put in a genuine effort when the guy said he "scraped" me when he came out of losers (where I put him and his pocket Diddy) and beat me 3-2. I bodied him 3-0 in the reset on winner's, clean ****ing sweep all the way through against his Ness.

And you know what? I still don't think I'm good enough. I'd never lord this over people like it's THAT ****ing monumental. Cause it's not. Until I beat people that have proven themselves time and again with tangible results on a greater and grander scale, I'm not even a blip on the radar.

So please, humble yourself. Wifi and friends and locals are beans by comparison to what M2K and Zero have accomplished in their careers. It's only a stepping stone---a tiny one, at that---to the greatness they've achieved.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I was at an organized tourney about a month and a half ago(surprising given there's not a big scene down here). It was my first one. There was a prize pot. Humble me got 10th place out of 25(in singles, doubles and triples were immensely more popular for some reason) when running solo-Bowser the whole thing.

I really don't mind that I didn't win because it was more about the experience than anything. Even met a few players that I regularly do 3DS matches with and will hook up on the Wii U once I get it.

Knocked out by a Lucario, in case you were curious.

I ran roughshod at a tourney I hosted the other day. Had to enter alongside my co-host to keep the brackets symmetrical. I bodied a few players that toe-to-toe our region's finest on a semi-weekly basis with Dedede, my main, the contentious low tier and worst heavy in the game so far. I honestly wasn't even trying up until grands because there was no money involved, because I promised the other participants that neither myself nor my co-host would be so grimy as to enter our own tournament and take money that was supposed to be their incentive for competing. I only put in a genuine effort when the guy said he "scraped" me when he came out of losers (where I put him and his pocket Diddy) and beat me 3-2. I bodied him 3-0 in the reset on winner's, clean ****ing sweep all the way through against his Ness.

And you know what? I still don't think I'm good enough. I'd never lord this over people like it's THAT ****ing monumental. Cause it's not. Until I beat people that have proven themselves time and again with tangible results, I'm not even a blip on the radar.

So please, humble yourself. Wifi and friends and locals are beans by comparison to what M2K and Zero have accomplished in their careers. It's only a stepping stone---a tiny one, at that---to the greatness they've achieved.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Besides the Mewtwo only tournament, I have never registered for a Smash 4 Tournament. I've been to one Melee tournament back in 2005...that helped me realize I prefer playing casually and also helped me learn that I enjoyed playing as Pichu.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The only thing I have too say on the previous argument:

Saying M2K is bad for using only top tiers is like saying Chris G is bad or has little to no skill at UMVC3 because he uses Vergil, Morrigan and Doom lol :p
I absolutely despise his Morrigan tactic, but will concede that it requires a great deal of skill to perform.

Random imitators can't emulate him at all.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hi Venus. Haven't seen you in a while.

How ya doin and what brings you here? :cheep:

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi Venus. Haven't seen you in a while.

How ya doin and what brings you here? :cheep:
Reading up on the past discussion and getting ready for work.

I don't really care too much but, if 3-5k was on the line, no other job, and all of the top players were in attendance, I'd definitely pick a top tier to boost my chances. Though that doesn't obviously guarantee me a win as I may not know that character well. Which is something I think it's a trap many people fall into; they pick a top tier because they think they can win with it. But until they REALLY know that character, they can still be beaten a intermediate skill player with a low to mid-tier character.

I have zero grievances for the top players sticking with the top tier because the results are there and the top players who use them win games. Now, if you play loyally with a low tier, you may place decently or you may win a tournament but I'm interested in the results of you were to go to APEX or EVO. But I also have zero grievances to those who play loyally. That's admirable; especially if it's a loftier character. Just don't whine or complain when a top level plays as a top tier character. Putting in the main hours shows great results but there are always bad match-ups or character better than others.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Here's the thing...I would love, love, LOVE to compete in major tournaments and perhaps even boost Mewtwo's tier status...
I just...don't have the money or resources to travel to them. :(

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Im doing my first localish tourney this sat FC Return, a tournament in Notre Dame's campus :y

Hopefully I can make top 10! I plan to do a ton of practicing over the Summer (like techs and just over all practice)
I've done a ton of online tourneys.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I've been to a few local/state tournaments back in like 2007-2008 but nothing major. I was a pretty poor back then so traveling was very limited.

Now I have the money (kinda) but not the time. Plus, I'm largely unaware of any tournaments in the portion of Japan I live in. Most of the actual Smash players I know are my students and I'm not allowed to play any matches with them as I'm a teacher and held to a certain high degree.

IAnyway, why don't you just go on ahead and play him? To be perfectly blunt, you're acting arrogant and foolish, and you need to be put in your place.
That sort of comment wasn't needed. You can disagree with someone without resorting to put-downs.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I've been to a few local/state tournaments back in like 2007-2008 but nothing major. I was a pretty poor back then so traveling was very limited.

Now I have the money (kinda) but not the time. Plus, I'm largely unaware of any tournaments in the portion of Japan I live in. Most of the actual Smash players I know are my students and I'm not allowed to play any matches with them as I'm a teacher and held to a certain high degree.

That sort of comment wasn't needed. You can disagree with someone without resorting to put-downs.
Can you play against previous students that graduated?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Can you play against previous students that graduated?
It probably wouldn't look good. I only know of 12 students who play it (casually) and they range between 8th to 5th grade. We talk about it though and what sort of DLC they want. One student literally flipped his **** with the Mewtwo announcement. They also play CoD, GTA, and Minecraft lol.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
It probably wouldn't look good. I only know of 12 students who play it (casually) and they range between 8th to 5th grade. We talk about it though and what sort of DLC they want. One student literally flipped his **** with the Mewtwo announcement. They also play CoD, GTA, and Minecraft lol.
Are there no gaming clubs in the school? I recall my teacher hosting one and it wouldn't have been a problem at all if they played too. o.o

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Are there no gaming clubs in the school? I recall my teacher hosting one and it wouldn't have been a problem at all if they played too. o.o
Haha no. Gaming is usually seen as being negative for students. Maybe in High School but not at my schools. I couldn't even start up an English Club as "it distracts students from sport club attitudes". But club activities here on are a much huger scale than elsewhere. I did football and wrestling through junior high and high school in the States and that was pretty nuts but these students do club activities from like 4 to 8/10 plus all day on weekends. They sometimes cancel classes for just club activity days. Most of my schools only have sports club though one of them has a brass band club. High School has a more diverse roster of clubs. Though my junior high schools are easily number 40 students total. They are very tiny schools.

Also, teachers are forced to become the leader in one of the clubs. One teacher I know who knew very little about badminton was forced to become the teacher of it so during Spring Break, he had to take classes on it and study. He hates it but he has to do it.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Haha no. Gaming is usually seen as being negative for students. Maybe in High School but not at my schools. I couldn't even start up an English Club as "it distracts students from sport club attitudes". But club activities here on are a much huger scale than elsewhere. I did football and wrestling through junior high and high school in the States and that was pretty nuts but these students do club activities from like 4 to 8/10 plus all day on weekends.

Also, teachers are forced to become the leader in one of the clubs. One teacher I know who knew very little about badminton was forced to become the teacher of it so during Spring Break, he had to take classes on it and study. He hates it but he has to do it.
Aw, that's too bad.
Although I can't deny that video games are certainly distracting, especially when it comes to school work. xD

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Aw, that's too bad.
Although I can't deny that video games are certainly distracting, especially when it comes to school work. xD
My football team would hold Melee tournaments after/before practice. The loser had to clean the shower and locker room the next day so that made us practice Smash on top of Football.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I stumbled across ZeRo's youtube channel today.
...I figured this was extremely relevent to the discussion about top players "truly" being good at Smash.
Besides, this is also just hilarious.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Yeah, I've heard club activities are intense in Japan. I went to an international school there, so it may not have been as intense. Still, while I was there, I was in choir as a class, cross country, tennis, and track, the sports being in different seasons. They were pretty busy since meets were on weekends and often elsewhere. Choir as a class even had concerts, though they also have auditions for the ones who want to take it seriously and practice after school. Those ones went to competitions around Japan and even fly to one in the US once a year. I lived there when I was in 5th to 7th grade.

High school here was different with clubs. I joined a community service club which had meetings during lunch, did school plays, and also cross country in fall and tennis in spring. I also tried basketball during fall of freshmen year. It's hard balancing school plays and sports when they have practice after school, but the play had practices twice or three times a week until the week before the actual plays. I somehow managed to do a lot of stuff.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
...I figured this was extremely relevent to the discussion about top players "truly" being good at Smash.
@ 1:08...did...did he just jab to footstool like, 5 times in a row?!?! o.o

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, I've heard club activities are intense in Japan. I went to an international school there, so it may not have been as intense. Still, while I was there, I was in choir as a class, cross country, tennis, and track, the sports being in different seasons. They were pretty busy since meets were on weekends and often elsewhere. Choir as a class even had concerts, though they also have auditions for the ones who want to take it seriously and practice after school. Those ones went to competitions around Japan and even fly to one in the US once a year. I lived there when I was in 5th to 7th grade.

High school here was different with clubs. I joined a community service club which had meetings during lunch, did school plays, and also cross country in fall and tennis in spring. I also tried basketball during fall of freshmen year. It's hard balancing school plays and sports when they have practice after school, but the play had practices twice or three times a week until the week before the actual plays. I somehow managed to do a lot of stuff.
Yeah, international schools are like a hybrid between Japanese and Western ways of schooling. That's really cool though! I don't remember much of Japan as I was just like 2.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Little did we realize that when Doc Louis said Mac "ain't no air fighter!", the double negative cancelled it out to "You're an air fighter!"

Top Bottom