• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Are there no gaming clubs in the school? I recall my teacher hosting one and it wouldn't have been a problem at all if they played too. o.o
A friend of mine formed a Smash Bros club at our school a couple months ago but it's quickly dying out. The Smash scene isn't very big where I live.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Speaking of Little Mac, can anybody give me some pointers on how to deal with him? Out of all the characters on For Glory, I seem to struggle against him the most consistently. I know you're supposed to try and keep him in the air, but he always seems to escape at ~60% with a half-full Power Meter, land a lucky hit on me, and turn the match on its head. Plus, if start shielding his dash attacks, he tends to catch on and start grabbing, and once I start sidestepping he always catches me out of the invincibility frames with a jab. I honestly don't know what to do.

As a follow-up question, how do you guys deal with R.O.B.? I don't seem him very often, but I've been wrecked by every single one I've played. I literally know nothing about that match-up, so any help on that would be greatly appreciated, as well.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Speaking of Little Mac, can anybody give me some pointers on how to deal with him? Out of all the characters on For Glory, I seem to struggle against him the most consistently. I know you're supposed to try and keep him in the air, but he always seems to escape at ~60% with a half-full Power Meter, land a lucky hit on me, and turn the match on its head. Plus, if start shielding his dash attacks, he tends to catch on and start grabbing, and once I start sidestepping he always catches me out of the invincibility frames with a jab. I honestly don't know what to do.

As a follow-up question, how do you guys deal with R.O.B.? I don't seem him very often, but I've been wrecked by every single one I've played. I literally know nothing about that match-up, so any help on that would be greatly appreciated, as well.
Little Mac hates projectiles.
Particularly the large, fully charged, highly shield damaging ones.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Speaking of Little Mac, can anybody give me some pointers on how to deal with him?
Pick DK.

Personally I hate Little Mac dittos. My go to character against Little Mac is Donkey Kong. You out range all of Little Mac's grounded options with DK's tilts and down special. DK also can beat out LM's super armor with his own super armor from up special. And obviously DK has massive grab range, good throws, and an amazing back air for gimping LM.
Unless if you are talking about Mewtwo, then I wouldn't know. I do know that Thinkaman says that Mac does like the Mewtwo MU because of how easy he can kill M2 vertically.

Though M2 can gimp Mac real easy so there is that as well.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Little Mac hates projectiles.
Particularly the large, fully charged, highly shield damaging ones.
I've actually tried zoning, and to no avail. You gotta remember that if Little Mac counters or shields Shadow Ball, it fills up his Power Meter, so chucking Shadow Balls at him endlessly is just feeding the beast. Also, Mac moves lightning fast on the ground and can jump over Shadow Ball, so a misfire leaves you nigh-optionless. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to work at all.
Pick DK.

Unless if you are talking about Mewtwo, then I wouldn't know. I do know that Thinkaman says that Mac does like the Mewtwo MU because of how easy he can kill M2 vertically.

Though M2 can gimp Mac real easy so there is that as well.
I'm talking about Mewtwo. Thank you for the tip on DK, though. I'll remember that the next time I get too salty:p. However, you are right about edge-guarding. The trouble is mostly in actually getting him off-stage, but its mostly clear waters once there's no ground below him. I must say that Mewtwo's B-Throw's high knockback angle doesn't help there at all, though.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I've actually tried zoning, and to no avail. You gotta remember that if Little Mac counters or shields Shadow Ball, it fills up his Power Meter, so chucking Shadow Balls at him endlessly is just feeding the beast. Also, Mac moves lightning fast on the ground and can jump over Shadow Ball, so a misfire leaves you nigh-optionless. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm talking about Mewtwo. Thank you for the tip on DK, though. I'll remember that the next time I get too salty:p. However, you are right about edge-guarding. The trouble is mostly in actually getting him off-stage, but its mostly clear waters once there's no ground below him. I must say that Mewtwo's B-Throw's high knockback angle doesn't help there at all, though.
I usually shorthop and then throw it.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Raise your hand if you haven't been to a tournament like me!
Yup! Honestly it's too much of a brofest, half the time it doesn't look fun. Though maybe if I make more Smash friends in the area it may not be as bad. In which case, I wouldn't mind bringing my Mewtwo to a tourney for the f*ck of it. I really don't find the appeal, my only incentive is that I'd like to play experienced players, which I think would be fun.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
This Diancie

Naughty nature

HP 30
ATK 30
DEF 30
SPA 30
SPDEF 16
speed 21

I know that speed should be prioritized but this the event Diancie I'm talking about, you have to go through a cutscene EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I pick it up and it's been driving me nuts. What do you guys think?
It'll make for a good Rock Polish sweeper. Diancie was a royal pain to reset with. I don't think my EVs were too spectular with it, but I'll use mine for Rock Polish once I trade it to AS.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I haven't been in a Smash tournament in ages, and unfortunately I live in the part of Japan where NOTHING interesting ever happens. Perhaps if I lived near Tokyo, Nagoya or Kyoto but that is not the case.
I remember the last time I went to one, it was for Brawl. It was one of those tournaments where the objective is to literally fight against EVERY participant there to gain points, in two out three format. We started fine but halfway through I was getting so burned and tired that I started losing the last fights. I played around 60 battles on that day and I even ended with a headache. Better avoid those kinds of tourneys and go to a more normal one instead.

C3CC

Smash Lord
It makes me laugh how some people here act like Roy and Ryu have already been confirmed. Actually I don't want either of them to appear in the game...

So, what tier do most people think Mewtwo is? Not that I care, I'm just curious. He must be at least mid-tier.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It makes me laugh how some people here act like Roy and Ryu have already been confirmed. Actually I don't want either of them to appear in the game...

So, what tier do most people think Mewtwo is? Not that I care, I'm just curious. He must be at least mid-tier.
Those gamefiles probably weren't added for funsies, I don't want them either
I'd say he's around mid tier too

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

they added into the game for a reason. I dont want to see Roy, but I do want to see Ryu since he can be either really interesting or dull

I think Mewtwo is a High to Mid tier, doesnt have that "bread and butter" combos like many high tier has but he is extremly viable

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

I hate Roy with a burning (lel) passion but the files are there. Best get ready to add a new punching bag to the roster. Fitting how he has a personality like one too.
Now Ryu.... He's no Scorpion I would love to see fight Mario, Sonic and co.

Mid tier at worst.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

Well, Ryu and Roy may not have been officially confirmed, but their inclusion is nigh-undeniable at this point. The files are in the game, and it wouldn't make any sense to wade through miles of copyright papers in order to get Ryu into the game and then just ditch him. There's no way Sakurai would do something like that. Roy is a Melee veteran, and the most popular one, at that. Pichu's hatebase is massive, Toon Link literally is Young Link, and Roy, while not terribly popular by any stretch of the imagination, is still the most popular out of the three. Plus, he takes 1/6th of the development time a unique character takes, so it's likely that the devs made Roy during a "downtime." Personally, I'm very excited to see how Ryu is going to translate into Smash, and I'm glad to see Roy back. I don't mind clones at all, and I personally preferred Roy to Marth in Melee, so I might find myself using him on occasion.

As for further evidence that the leak is real, the data miners also found several unused Kirby tracks buried in Smash 4's files, and it's actually possible for you to fight Kirby characters on Battlefield in Classic Mode. That never happened prior to Mewtwo's DLC, and it makes absolutely no sense. What this probably means is that the Smash 4 devs were making a DLC stage for Kirby, and they were able to add the music into the game, but not much of the stage data. So, in order to prevent the game from crashing when it tried to load the DLC stage, they added a "rerouter" of sorts into the game's code that redirects the stage loader to Battlefield whenever it tries to load the unfinished Kirby stage. Some people have speculated that the returning stage may be Dreamland 64 because of the near-identical layout between it and Battlefield, but it's also possible that Battlefield was chosen as the go-to stage because of its rather basic layout. Anyway, that's all speculation, so I won't go too far into detail.

As for Mewtwo's tier placement, I'd say that you're about right. He's no lower than mid-tier, but I'd say that he has the potential to be upper-mid or even low-high tier.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I don't really mind Roy or Ryu being in the game. Honestly, as long as Wolf comes back I don't mind who else Sakurai might add in.

As for the tiers, the last time I checked, Mewtwo was mid tier (B I think?) but I think he's got potential to land a spot in the low-high tier.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Mewtwo could be higher on the tier list if more people win with him in tournaments.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, Ryu and Roy may not have been officially confirmed, but their inclusion is nigh-undeniable at this point. The files are in the game, and it wouldn't make any sense to wade through miles of copyright papers in order to get Ryu into the game and then just ditch him. There's no way Sakurai would do something like that. Roy is a Melee veteran, and the most popular one, at that. Pichu's hatebase is massive, Toon Link literally is Young Link, and Roy, while not terribly popular by any stretch of the imagination, is still the most popular out of the three. Plus, he takes 1/6th of the development time a unique character takes, so it's likely that the devs made Roy during a "downtime." Personally, I'm very excited to see how Ryu is going to translate into Smash, and I'm glad to see Roy back. I don't mind clones at all, and I personally preferred Roy to Marth in Melee, so I might find myself using him on occasion.

As for further evidence that the leak is real, the data miners also found several unused Kirby tracks buried in Smash 4's files, and it's actually possible for you to fight Kirby characters on Battlefield in Classic Mode. That never happened prior to Mewtwo's DLC, and it makes absolutely no sense. What this probably means is that the Smash 4 devs were making a DLC stage for Kirby, and they were able to add the music into the game, but not much of the stage data. So, in order to prevent the game from crashing when it tried to load the DLC stage, they added a "rerouter" of sorts into the game's code that redirects the stage loader to Battlefield whenever it tries to load the unfinished Kirby stage. Some people of have speculated that the returning stage may be Dreamland 64 because of the near-identical layout between it and Battlefield, but it's also possible that Battlefield was chosen as the go-to stage because of its rather basic layout. Anyway, that's all speculation, so I won't go too far into detail.

As for Mewtwo's tier placement, I'd say that you're about right. He's no lower than mid-tier, but I'd say that he has the potential to be upper-mid or even low-high tier.
Could also be Fountain of Dreams which is also like Battlefield, except the platforms rise and fall slowly.
Then again maybe it's a tradition to have Whispy Woods as a stage hazard in every Smash game.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
So, I've just been thinking, but what's the point in hating Roy? Ryu is understandable, since he actually takes up substantial development time, but I don't get the hate behind Roy. He takes relatively little time to develop, so it's not like he's taking anybody else's place, and, more importantly, he's DLC. If you don't want him, don't get him. He takes absolutely nothing away from the game, and you don't have to buy him if you don't to, so what's the point in hating him? Now, being apathetic towards his inclusion is totally understandable, but, unless there's another clone that you'd rather see than Roy, being against his inclusion doesn't make any sense to me, especially since he's DLC. What's the point?

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Just WHY in the world would Capcom get two characters? Mega Man is more than enough. Maybe that's just me, a person who doesn't fully support the idea of having third-party characters in the game. This time I can accept them because all three are iconic and the number isn't that high, but four is just way too much.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Just WHY in the world would Capcom get two characters? Mega Man is more than enough. Maybe that's just me, a person who doesn't fully support the idea of having third-party characters in the game. This time I can accept them because all three are iconic and the number isn't that high, but four is just way too much.
I tend to think of Ryu as being a representative of the Fighting-genre itself, compared to being a representative of Capcom. I also believe that the reason Ryu was chosen instead of some other popular Fighting-game character is not only because Ryu is almost undoubtedly the most iconic of them all, but also because Nintendo is already working with Capcom on Smash 4 itself. It's a lot less work to get the rights to have Ryu in the game, which is always a good thing.

Also, I totally see what you're saying about being against 3rd party characters, but think about it like this. There's going to be 55 characters in Smash 4 by the time Ryu comes out, so, out of a roster of 55 characters, there will only be 4 3rd party characters. That's very low, relativity speaking. Believe me, I would absolutely hate to see Smash saturated with 3rd party characters, but 4 out of 55 doesn't even approach saturation. Plus, Ryu can be considered a representative of the Fighting-genre itself instead of a Capcom rep, so it makes sense that Nintendo would include a traditional fighter in their non-traditional Fighting-game. It's sorta like tipping their hat to the genre as a whole. In any case, I'm fine with Ryu's inclusion, and I'm very interested to see how his fighting style will translate into Smash.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I agree with you. The fact of Capcom having an extra character kinda drives my OCD a little crazy.

Top Bottom