• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

GreninjaTwo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintenTheScout
3DS FC
0989-1996-0168
Earthbound is insanely popular.

Of course that would happen.

Is there ONE other Nintendo game that could possibly claim to do this?
Yeah, I admit, seeing how Earthbound has recently resurged in popularity recently, I should be glad that one of my favorite games ever was the one bought so often as to be outstocked of digital copies, and not some other random game.

It just goes to show ya' how dedicated we Earthbound fans are, we have the awesome power to deplete a gaming company's supply of digital download codes. :lick:

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Earthbound is insanely popular.

Of course that would happen.

Is there ONE other Nintendo game that could possibly claim to do this?
Xenoblade maybe? If it ever got on the Eshop? I'm sure more people would rather buy it on the Wii U they already have than buy it exclusively for the New 3DS when they already have 3DS/3DS XL's that they don't wanna replace yet.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Xenoblade maybe? If it ever got on the Eshop? I'm sure more people would rather buy it on the Wii U they already have than buy it exclusively for the New 3DS when they already have 3DS/3DS XL's that they don't wanna replace yet.
Xenoblade has a New 3DS remake, as you said, so it's more widley available.

These were Club Nintendo digital codes, and to my knowledge a game on the eShop can't "run out".

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Well Nintendo needs to make money off of EarthBound, and probably a lot of people were getting it for free on Club Nintendo.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

These were Club Nintendo digital codes, and to my knowledge a game on the eShop can't "run out".[/quote]

But still, not that many people except dedicated fans are wiling to go out of their way to get a New 3DS if they don't already have one (and alot of people don't) just to play Xenoblade. It's one thing with the Wii U that's been out for a few years now, but the New 3DS just came out a few months ago. : \ So far, Xenoblade 3D hasn't been selling too well in JP.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sakurai "My arm hurts like hell and I seriously need to rest it, so I'll keep working on the games instead of resting my arm and trusting the dev team enough so that I don't do any programming"
Can't blame him. If I was a game developer, I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to try the games myself, even with an injured arm.

Let's remember that the man is both a game developer and a gamer.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Sakurai "My arm hurts like hell and I seriously need to rest it, so I'll keep working on the games instead of resting my arm and trusting the dev team enough so that I don't do any programming"
Yeah, i legit. feel bad for Sakurai. He wanted to be done with Smash by now, and because of the ballot and DLC (probably because Nintendo forced him to go through with it for the money and profit), he's still stuck working on it after 3 years after he started on it. And with injuries. Depending on how long it takes before we get all the DLC characters (which'll probably be another year at best if not longer), i'm legitimately thinking Sakurai might actually go through with what he said and quit making Smash due to how much work and pain he's had to go through for this installment.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can't blame him. If I was a game developer, I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to try the games myself, even with an injured arm.

Let's remember that the man is both a game developer and a gamer.
That's not what I'm ranting about. I'm ranting about how Sakurai is still developing things despite his condition. He mentioned using a trackerball mouse or something. If I were in his place I'd stop working on the programming part, testing is not the issue though. I'd have enough faith that my dev team can do the programming just fine without me and take a look every now and then

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Yeah, i legit. feel bad for Sakurai. He wanted to be done with Smash by now, and because of the ballot and DLC (probably because Nintendo forced him to go through with it for the money and profit), he's still stuck working on it after 3 years after he started on it. And with injuries. Depending on how long it takes before we get all the DLC characters (which'll probably be another year at best if not longer), i'm legitimately thinking Sakurai might actually go through with what he said and quit making Smash due to how much work and pain he's had to go through for this installment.
Going further off of this, he's most definitely in a lose-lose situation as Smash was more of his childhood dream game and know one knows quite like him how it should be run. Stepping down would likely hurt his prized creation to him more than it'd help his arm(s), so that's probably given him motivation to stay.

I mean, he could become an advisor instead, but he still loses a bit of control.

Wish we had a Hyperbolic Time Chamber to stuff this man in for a day so he comes out with hyper-healed arms or something.

Game Theory has a tragic video on Smash ultimately referencing Sakurai.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

These were Club Nintendo digital codes, and to my knowledge a game on the eShop can't "run out".
But still, not that many people except dedicated fans are wiling to go out of their way to get a New 3DS if they don't already have one (and alot of people don't) just to play Xenoblade. It's one thing with the Wii U that's been out for a few years now, but the New 3DS just came out a few months ago. : \ So far, Xenoblade 3D hasn't been selling too well in JP.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That's not what I'm ranting about. I'm ranting about how Sakurai is still developing things despite his condition. He mentioned using a trackerball mouse or something. If I were in his place I'd stop working on the programming part, testing is not the issue though. I'd have enough faith that my dev team can do the programming just fine without me and take a look every now and then
I guess I just find his devotion to his job admirable.

Maybe he's not making the greatest decision, but at least he's making an admirable one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Going further off of this, he's most definitely in a lose-lose situation as Smash was more of his childhood dream game and know one knows quite like him how it should be run. Stepping down would likely hurt his prized creation to him more than it'd help his arm(s), so that's probably given him motivation to stay.

I mean, he could become an advisor instead, but he still loses a bit of control.
Sakurai has shown he doesn't like people playing with his toys as Kirby's representation shows, but I think it's stupid if he really feels like the franchise will die without him. After all, Brawl's public announcement was one Sakurai first heard of it

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

True, but i mean, eventually there's going to be a point where Sakurai retires (or dies god forbid) somewhere down the line, and Nintendo is gonna probably continue making Smash every gaming generation due to it being a Cash Cow Franchise, with or without Sakurai. It'll happen eventually, whether he wants it to or not.

Besides, he obviously has other things he wants to work on, i mean he totally didn't hint at Kid Icarus Uprising 2 in the Dark Pit Conversation of Palutena's Guidance for no reason. : 3

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789
Sakurai has shown he doesn't like people playing with his toys as Kirby's representation shows, but I think it's stupid if he really feels like the franchise will die without him. After all, Brawl's public announcement was one Sakurai first heard of it
I always said to myself that if I could put myself in my own videogame, I'd make it seem like I sucked, but throughout some random exploit that only I could do, I'd be broken beyond Brawl Meta Knight.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
True, but i mean, eventually there's going to be a point where Sakurai retires (or dies god forbid) somewhere down the line, and Nintendo is gonna probably continue making Smash every gaming generation due to it being a Cash Cow Franchise, with or without Sakurai. It'll happen eventually, whether he wants it to or not.

Besides, he obviously has other things he wants to work on, i mean he totally didn't hint at Kid Icarus Uprising 2 in the Dark Pit Conversation of Palutena's Guidance for no reason. : 3
Saw that, and that's yet another one he didn't want to make a sequel for o.o

I could've sworn I even saw him confirm that there wasn't going to be a 2nd game a long time ago due to keeping its story a one-hit wonder and not expanding it too much.

If that's the case, then jeez, this man is still in a similar shackled situation, just with another franchise.

I have a feeling that it's less of the case of the franchise dying. I think he wants the games to be what he feels is the best they can be. If he gives it up to someone, he probably feels his dream is going to be desecrated.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
@ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011

I know, no freaking idea what the hell this is or how to get rid of it. I got Adblock to try to get rid of it, but still nothing's fixing, ugh. If i knew how to get rid of it i'd do it in an instant.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I always said to myself that if I could put myself in my own videogame, I'd make it seem like I sucked, but throughout some random exploit that only I could do, I'd be broken beyond Brawl Meta Knight.
If I ever developed my own game, I would purposely put in an Easter Egg that would require almost TAS levels of perfection, and make it take about 1/2 an hour to even attempt correctly.

So, what would the Easter Egg be? Just a wall with the text written down

"I can't believe you went through all that trouble just for this"
And then this music plays:

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
If I ever developed my own game, I would purposely put in an Easter Egg that would require almost TAS levels of perfection, and make it take about 1/2 an hour to even attempt correctly.

Someone better give this guy the internets for today.

Last edited:

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789

I knew there was a reason I like you.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I'd pull an Inafune and make myself a godlike summon

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd probably make myself a Secret Superboss that requires absolute mastery of the game to beat.
Or pull a Kojima. "What took you so long?"

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yeah, Sakurai, as great as he is, can be a tad bit self-absorbed at times. However, that's not to say that it's always a bad thing. A little ego is good, since it apparently gives Sakurai a drive to make sure his games are the best they can be, even if it's not in his best interest. I guess it's ironic, in a way, since Sakurai's ego forces him to make sure that he's part of every facet of Smash 4's development, but at the same time, he's injuring himself. Anyway, it can be a good thing to have a little ego. If Sakurai thinks the series will go downhill if he leaves, then, as silly as that is, let him think it. If it drives him to make sure his games are great, then it's a good thing.
However, I agree that Kirby's representation is too skewed, and Kid Icarus's representation is too much. I wouldn't mind if Sakurai's ego deflated just enough to not be as biased towards those series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The problem most people have with Kirby isn't that it's got too much representation, but what the representation is. Notice how almost everything is from Sakurai's Kirby games
Yeah, Sakurai, as great as he is, can be a tad bit self-absorbed at times. However, that's not to say that it's always a bad thing. A little ego is good, since it apparently gives Sakurai a drive to make sure his games are the best they can be, even if it's not in his best interest. I guess it's ironic, in a way, since Sakurai's ego forces him to make sure that he's part of every facet of Smash 4's development, but at the same time, he's injuring himself. Anyway, it can be a good thing to have a little ego. If Sakurai thinks the series will go downhill if he leaves, then, as silly as that is, let him think it. If it drives him to make sure his games are great, then it's a good thing.
However, I agree that Kirby's and Kid Icarus's representation is too skewed and too much, respectively. I wouldn't mind if Sakurai's ego deflated just enough to not be as biased towards those series.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The problem most people have with Kirby isn't that it's got too much representation, but what the representation is. Notice how almost everything is from Sakurai's Kirby games
The only post Sakurai Kirby content is the Ultra Sword, about 5 trophies and about 4 pieces of music.
Everything else Kirby originated under him.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Oh, I know, and I agree. I suppose that I worded my post a little strange, but, yes, I was agreeing with you on Kirby. They're so underrepresented that it's almost funny, especially since they have so much good stuff. CROWNED and Bandana Dee instantly come to mind as things that should be in Smash 4, but aren't. CROWNED's absence is most likely attributable to bias on Sakurai's part, especially after Kirby and the Rainbow Curse's incredible remix of it, but Bandana Dee, as deserving as he is, has several other things against him, I suppose. Anyway, I'm starting to drag on. The point is, I totally agree with you on Kirby, and the reason you misinterpreted me was completely my own fault.

EDIT: Fixed up my previous post in order to avoid any future confusion. ^_^

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh, I know, and I agree. I suppose that I worded my post a little strange, but, yes, I was agreeing with you on Kirby. They're so underrepresented that it's almost funny, especially since they have so much good stuff. CROWNED and Bandana Dee instantly come to mind as things that should be in Smash 4, but aren't. CROWNED's absence is most likely attributable to bias on Sakurai's part, especially after Kirby and the Rainbow Curse's incredible remix of it, but Bandana Dee, as deserving as he is, has several other things against him, I suppose. Anyway, I starting to drag on. The point is, I totally agree with you on Kirby, and the reason you misinterpreted me was completely my own fault.
We all make mistakes, my first mistake was thinking @ U-Throw U-Throw was a bit overrated. Then I saw the trailer. Rainbow Paintbrush CROWNED remix would be something I'd pay for to get in smash honestly, godlike track remixed by better gods

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991

Wish we had a Hyperbolic Time Chamber to stuff this man in for a day so he comes out with hyper-healed arms or something.

Game Theory has a tragic video on Smash ultimately referencing Sakurai.
Uhm, Just going to say that I'm PRETTY sure I posted that video on this thread at some point before, as well as someone else at a later point. :p
Either way, yeah it's pretty depressing and it makes sense. Although I do kinda wish Sakurai would take his vacation already...he really deserves it. (unless that's planned for after Lucas is sent out).

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Who else loves it when Mewtwo holds an item and he just doesn't use his hands to hold it? Random, but I just always loved that. Looks so bada**. :denzel:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Who else loves it when Mewtwo holds an item and he just doesn't use his hands to hold it? Random, but I just always loved that. Looks so bada**. :denzel:
No kidding. Best item hold animation hands down~ So glad he still has it. ^-^

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It's even better when you catch an item that's thrown at you. Like you stop it with your mind and ****.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

I love to make peoples comments better, it makes feel like a better person.

dont judge me.

Top Bottom