• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It might totally be confirmation bias. But us in the Geno thread have noticed that Nintendo is referencing Super Mario RPG A LOT. For like. No good reason currently. They just kinda keep doing it. Going into territory that we are pretty sure they had to negotiate with SE for.

Being a direct reference in the first stage of a new release they released a demo for seems like they really want us to notice it.
I feel you, but...

From my understanding. All there is that can be seen as solid is that Erdrick is called brave. Well so is a lot of people in video games. Everything else is being completely based off "Well DQ is popular".
We shouldn't really take upcoming releases as solid proof of anything. Because there are plenty of upcoming big releases they can take characters from. Thinking new dragon quest game = smash character is more confirmation bias then anything
If a couple of SMRPG references count as significant, then so do two Nintendo-published Dragon Quest releases and a prime spot in a Direct. Have your thing, but don't dismiss my thing.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I feel you, but...

If a couple of SMRPG references count as significant, then so do two Nintendo-published Dragon Quest releases and a prime spot in a Direct. Have your thing, but don't dismiss my thing.
I meant more in context for plans for maybe doing something with Super Mario RPG again. I don't think they would be making all these references for a smash appearance. Just like how Nintendo stroking Dragon Quest doesn't mean a smash character. It was more interesting because Nintendo spends the last decade ignoring SMRPG just to randomly start acknowledging it's existence quite often

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I meant more in context for plans for maybe doing something with Super Mario RPG again. I don't think they would be making all these references for a smash appearance. Just like how Nintendo stroking Dragon Quest doesn't mean a smash character.
Yeah, you are probably right.

D

Deleted member

Goddamn, what isn't leakbait at this point?
Its simple, by the logic for a lot of people here it seems that the character they like isnt leakbait :b (I talk in general)
One thing I'd like to point out is that Joker's height value (Which is the same as Young Link, iirc) might be, as expected, a placeholder value. We did see his model and it appears to be around the same size as Marth/Lucina. This absolutely opens the door to "brave" height of 13 to be nothing more than a placeholder as well.
We never discovered what it actually did, if it was used to group characters by height or something related to other factor then it will certainly change.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Either I am playing mind tricks on myself or someone recently linked a developer stream of DQ11S where Smssh Bros was briefly mentioned at the start. Not a confirmation or anything but just bringing it up. There was a link with that video.

However I am having a difficult time finding it here. I swear something like that has been posted but I want to know if someone had confirmation on that. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Either I am playing mind tricks on myself or someone recently linked a developer stream of DQ11S where Smssh Bros was briefly mentioned at the start. Not a confirmation or anything but just bringing it up. There was a link with that video.

However I am having a difficult time finding it here. I swear something like that has been posted but I want to know if someone had confirmation on that. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Yeah, that was posted a while back.

Personally, wouldn't put too much stock into it. Lotta streams randomly bring up Smash bros.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Erdrick gets in with a Luminary alt, (and possibly some others) I think that's more than good enough to be a face for Dragon Quest. Especially if they have slime in the moveset somewhere. Not to mention slimes dont look like goku :p

I don't hate slime, at all. But if I had to choose I would much rather have a hero (or multiple ones like with alts) than a lvl1 monster.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just a random question out of fun just because we have a drought with Smash news right now.
What would be the dream crossover for you Square related that is not with Smash Brothers (and not Geno back with Mario because I know that a lot would say that too)?

Can be Sora in Xenoblade, Cloud in Halo, Dragon Quest, and Legend of Zelda. You get the idea.

D

Deleted member

Just a random question out of fun just because we have a drought with Smash news right now.
What would be the dream crossover for you Square related that is not with Smash Brothers (and not Geno back with Mario because I know that a lot would say that too)?

Can be Sora in Xenoblade, Cloud in Halo, Dragon Quest, and Legend of Zelda. You get the idea.
Geno in the Mother series

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy, hands down for me

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Final Fantasy in Kirby

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yoshi has been associated with cookies before Super Mario RPG.

Edit: posted wrong, gimme a sec

Uh direct image link then: https://www.moregameslike.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Yoshis-Cookie.jpg

You can even see the ring shaped cookies in that screenshot in the previous page.

I'm not saying Crafted World didn't have a SMRPG reference considering the way "Yo'ster" is spelled (with an apostrophe), but I felt the need to remind people about this.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
At this point I wouldnt be surprised if we get a DQ rep. They are a long running series, and the amount of DQ content coming out is definitely a push to get some more exposure.

Now would be a good time for them to introduce a character in smash bros.

Thanks to the direct, I still have hope for Sora so no complaints here.

Also if someone could explain what Erdrick can do that Link doesnt Id appreciate it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh I was also thinking Yoshi's Cookie but it didn't use "Yo'ster," however I think the cookie design may have been the same.

Nintendo has certainly referenced SMRPG more lately, though...which seems odd because, if they're not planning on doing anything with the IP, then surely they realize they're giving false hope? This is why something new with the IP seems, at the very least, possible.

maybe we'll get Geno and Mallow in Mario Maker 2.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At this point I wouldnt be surprised if we get a DQ rep. They are a long running series, and the amount of DQ content coming out is definitely a push to get some more exposure.

Now would be a good time for them to introduce a character in smash bros.

Thanks to the direct, I still have hope for Sora so no complaints here.

Also if someone could explain what Erdrick can do that Link doesnt Id appreciate it.
Out of simplicity, you can check out these spells:
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Erdrick#Spells

And then there's an amazing amount of different kinds of slashes that are possible from later games.
Technically there's also a lot of different weapons possible too, but I would think they'd stick to swords.

Possibly monster taming/using too.

If you want to see some attacks or skills in action then I'd recommend looking at DQ11 combat or DQHeroes2

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
noo yung link. the genos need this to keep going strong. they need their hooope.

:yoshimelee:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: by "The Island in Yoshi's Island isn't Yoster Island," he means that the setting of the video game "Yoshi's Island" is not the same place as "Yoster Island" from Super Mario World and SMRPG.

Clyde Mandelin is an extremely trustworthy Japanese to English translator. He's known for working on tons of English subtitles for Funimation acquired anime. He's also known for being a huge part of the fan translation for Mother 3.

I trust this guy a lot, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Besides the weapons, there's options in a lot of DQ spells. Creating explosions, fire, lightning, putting enemies to sleep, turning their body to steel, etc. You can also take some liberties and explore the monster battling mechanics of some later games.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ahem.
Shin_Megami_Tensei_X_Fire_Emblem_logo.png

Life is suffering.

Looma

Smash Journeyman

The World Ends With You x Jet Set Radio

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Clyde Mandelin is an extremely trustworthy Japanese to English translator. He's known for working on tons of English subtitles for Funimation acquired anime. He's also known for being a huge part of the fan translation for Mother 3.

I trust this guy a lot, is what I'm saying.
:sadeyes:

I was trying to find a dramatic scene where someone gets attacks unnecessarily, but couldnt find any. ah well.

D

Deleted member

Probably DQ x TLoZ, having Link as a guest adventurer would be quite fun.

Alternatively DQ Monsters x Pokemon, Slime and Pikachu join forces to battle the Dragonlord (villain of the first DQ)

Maybe Xenoblade x Xenogears? After all Gears is the only missing one from XB2 cameos.
Ahem.
View attachment 192454

Life is suffering.
Game was fine, issue was that it shouldn't have been advertised as SMT x FE.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Probably DQ x TLoZ, having Link as a guest adventurer would be quite fun.

Alternatively DQ Monsters x Pokemon, Slime and Pikachu join forces to battle the Dragonlord (villain of the first DQ)

Maybe Xenoblade x Xenogears? After all Gears is the only missing one from XB2 cameos.

Game was fine, issue was that it shouldn't have been advertised as SMT x FE.
Yeah, I know, other than its story and the battle animations taking too long it worked pretty good as a JRPG.

Still despise it though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Nintendo now owns the rights to Zidane, however they don’t have a series for him so he just cameos in every Nintendo game.

(The real answer is the Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei we were promised)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Nintendo now owns the rights to Zidane, however they don’t have a series for him so he just cameos in every Nintendo game.

(The real answer is the Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei we were promised)
Maybe it is my bias towards Fire Emblem... (loved the series since Blazing Sword) but I hate that crossover. And I enjoy SMT games

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty obvious it's a reference to Super Mario RPG with the apostrophe and the fact that the subplot for Yo'ster Isle was Boshi taking everyone's cookies. There's no need to complicate this.

Just for a quick history lesson, it is only referred to Yo'ster isle (ヨースター島 ) in three games in japan, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, and Mario and Luigi partners in time. The Super Mario World stage in Melee is also "Yo'ster isle". if you don't believe me, google ヨースター島 and look at images, its all melee, SMW, and SMRPG. Every other game the Yoshi Homeland is called "Yoshi's Island" (ヨッシーアイランド).

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Well then.

I think it's fair to say that Nintendo is getting a lot better at baiting people.
I can't confirm if it was from somebody in Nintendo. In fact, I don't know who made it up, I just know somebody made it up and spread it around insiders. They certainly were successful. But, alas, Star Fox Grand Prix was fabricated.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, you guys want something really juicy? Star Fox Grand Prix never really existed. It was an industry hoax. That's all I'll say on this subject.
ZenythSmash ZenythSmash can corroborate this.
Thank God.

Does that mean that either a new Star Fox or F-Zero could be on the way? Instead of the Frankensteinian monstrosity Nintendo concocted?

D

Deleted member

damn everybody think they soooo fancy with their leakbait and ****

why not just be a REAL man/company and actually falsely advertise the game to throw everybody off your tracks jesus

/s if this really wasn't apparent enough

Top Bottom