• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean if Retro was wasting their time on a Star Fox Racing game I would've been upset. And then it would've been good and I wouldve gotten over it.

I'm an F-Zero die hard though so.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can't confirm if it was from somebody in Nintendo. In fact, I don't know who made it up, I just know somebody made it up and spread it around insiders. They certainly were successful. But, alas, Star Fox Grand Prix was fabricated.
This does beg the question though...

What has Retro been working on for so long!
Just when we thought we had an idea, we are back to square one. And now they have Metroid Prime 4 on their plate as well!

D

Deleted member

This does beg the question though...

What has Retro been working on for so long!
Just when we thought we had an idea, we are back to square one. And now they have Metroid Prime 4 on their plate as well!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Polar or Zenyth mentioned before that Nintendo likes to sit on finished games and that NSMBU for the Switch was finished a while ago? I feel that they could be revealing a new game around E3, it could very well be a 3rd game of the new DKC series.

Doubt that Nintendo revealed their whole load this year on the Direct. AC, Pokemon and more are bound to be revealed in the next couple of months.

Edit. Actually, has Nintendo revealed the team behind Luigi's Mansion 3? If its not Next Level Games, then I imagine its possibly Retro.

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just a random question out of fun just because we have a drought with Smash news right now.
What would be the dream crossover for you Square related that is not with Smash Brothers (and not Geno back with Mario because I know that a lot would say that too)?

Can be Sora in Xenoblade, Cloud in Halo, Dragon Quest, and Legend of Zelda. You get the idea.
I would very much like to see Mario & DQ in some sort of Paper Mario platform-RPG hybrid.

Something with a meaningful story. Maybe about Bowser going to war with Dragonlord for kidnapping Peach (who he wants to claim as his own). Mario & Hero protagonist Joon Forces to stop them. But you can seek and recruit various characters from both universes.
Luigi, Yoshi, Birdo, Geno, Tatanga, etc
Alena, Terry, Jessica, Jade, Kiefer, etc

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
F-Zero Fans Rejoice

?
Why should F-Zero fans rejoice?
Heck, the F-Zero universe, which was already hinted to be coexisting in the same universe/galaxy as Star Fox numerous times, returning in a crossover with Fox and crew would have been even more hype than a standard F-Zero game. F-Zero is in a state where the Nintendo fanbase, outside of a vocal minority that is passionate for the series, doesn't get behind as much as many other franchises. The series has been dead to Nintendo, and having StarFox costarring would help a ton more to revitalize F-Zero and put Star Fox in the right track.
I'm honestly quite baffled that F-Zero fans would be happy for this.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
?
Why should F-Zero fans rejoice?
Heck, the F-Zero universe, which was already hinted to be coexisting in the same universe/galaxy as Star Fox numerous times, returning in a crossover with Fox and crew would have been even more hype than a standard F-Zero game. F-Zero is in a state where the Nintendo fanbase, outside of a vocal minority that is passionate for the series, doesn't get behind as much as many other franchises. The series has been dead to Nintendo, and having StarFox costarring would help a ton more to revitalize F-Zero and put Star Fox in the right track.
I'm honestly quite baffled that F-Zero fans would be happy for this.
You say this as if F-Zero would be referenced at all in a Star Fox Racing game which if anything is a long shot because it's a game about Animals Racing. If Star Fox Grand Prix were to exist it would just mean that F-Zero is completely and undoubtedly dead and that even WHEN they have new ideas for a futuristic racing game they would use it on a totally different franchise instead of the one people actually want.

No, Grand Prix being dead is a good thing if anything for F-Zero as sad as it might be.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Tansut leaked one character, literally hours before that character got revealed. And the argument for Dragon Quest could be chalked up to the same one could make for any series getting a lot of love for the Switch. Ergo, we could argue for Sephiroth with that logic. And as someone who wants Phoenix Wright, I can definitely tell you, it's not as solid as you wish it were.

Feel free to expect Erdrick, but considering how talks of him mainly began because of Vergeben, don't be surprised if people are less confident. And thank goodness, now speculation can be more than just him.
If I’m not mistaken wasn’t Tansut also wrong with what he predicted in this Direct? If I’m wrong I apologize. Also I know Xenother said Erdrick was soon, and yet we did not see any information of Erdrick in this direct, if anything we won’t know of the DLC fighter until April. So he along with Vergeben was also wrong.

It really would be nice if people just don't get so ahead of themselves with something like "this character was the one heard the most among leakers, so it's gotta be him/her". I never understood that logic to begin with, considering this is a LEAKBAIT list where maybe even all of them are not the real one, and the one that becomes more suspicious for being heard the most, should be considered the biggest mislead instead, not the opposite. A leakbait list's purpose is to mislead people, not guide them towards the truth.

I think people should move past from trusting who was heard the most, and actually wait for more SOLID evidence. There is a reason why even Vergeben refused to talk about the SE names to begin with, because THIS was gonna happen. His stance of only coming out with a specific name was the right one, but yeah… they screwed him over and the list got out. It really would be for the best, for both people's expectations and also their way of analyzing things more properly, to not take "the most heard" character as a big lead, when it comes to leakbaiting of all things. Even when he is sure about something he heard, it turns out to be wrong, and it's not even the first time this happens… so people should be prepared for that with Erdrick or whatever DQ as well. I'm honestly 100% open to any SE character at this point, even characters not from the list, it also makes speculation even more fun than just focusing on one character and making this thread of a list of characters into a 2.0 thread of a specific character, which is what has happened for the last dunno how many pages, lol, and honestly that became boring as far as speculation goes.

The boring but logical middle ground sometimes is just the best one.:link:

I agree, just because someone is heard the most does not mean it is them. I still think most popular Square characters are very much still in play.

I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You say this as if F-Zero would be referenced at all in a Star Fox Racing game which if anything is a long shot because it's a game about Animals Racing. If Star Fox Grand Prix were to exist it would just mean that F-Zero is completely and undoubtedly dead and that even WHEN they have new ideas for a futuristic racing game they would use it on a totally different franchise instead of the one people actually want.

No, Grand Prix being dead is a good thing if anything for F-Zero as sad as it might be.
Are you not familiar at all with the fact that racing has existed in the Star Fox universe, and that it was a direct callback to F-Zero?
Nobody ever said it was going to be only space animals racing. The idea of a racing game in the SF universe raised hopes for the crossover to finally happen.

By "people" you mean the vocal minority that clamors for F-Zero, right? Because honestly, Nintendo wants to sell the game with the biggest market appeal. And F-Zero historically wasn't a huge seller. If SF has a bigger potential, so be it. But having F-Zero in the game would be the biggest shot for F-Zero to gain steam for its own revival, imo.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
What if Star Fox Grand Prix is a real thing, but it’s DLC for Mario Kart 8? I could potentially see that happening as I’m not sure Nintendo would want a separate racing game to compete with their more popular Mario Kart. Also since the mobile Mario Kart game is coming out, perhaps this will redraw interest in Mario Kart 8. So Nintendo may want to capitalize on this by releasing DLC, like Star Fox Grand Prix. It’s just a thought.

D

Deleted member

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t Tansut also wrong with what he predicted in this Direct? If I’m wrong I apologize. Also I know Xenother said Erdrick was soon, and yet we did not see any information of Erdrick in this direct, if anything we won’t know of the DLC fighter until April. So he along with Vergeben was also wrong.

I agree, just because someone is heard the most does not mean it is them. I still think most popular Square characters are very much still in play.

I suppose we will have to wait and see.
Xenother only said there was a good chance but didn't commit to it actually. He said only thing he heard was not from his main source:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77475675/917352025
I do not know if he posted anything else regarding it.

About Tansut, I have no idea since he doesn't seem to have posted anything about the Direct, at least on ERA.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Xenother only said there was a good chance but didn't commit to it actually. He said only thing he heard was not from his main source:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77475675/917352025

About Tansut, I have no idea since he doesn't seem to have posted anything about the Direct.
Ah I see, I thank you for clarifying. This whole situation is definitely intriguing. I’m curious how much this whole situation will affect future leaks. Either way it’s looking like we won’t know for sure who the next character is until mid to late April. So here’s to two more months of speculating ha.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
D

Deleted member

Ah I see, I thank you for clarifying. This whole situation is definitely intriguing. I’m curious how much this whole situation will affect future leaks. Either way it’s looking like we won’t know for sure who the next character is until mid to late April. So here’s to two more months of speculating ha.
If anything Xenother is still banking on Erdrick and Steve, at least from his post at Gamefaqs. We'll see how it will turn out.

Tansut is kinda weird honestly, he seems to have one or two really good connections considering the Cloud reveal (in a vague way) and calling the banner fake as well. But has somewhat limited info as he lost a bet regarding the box theory and he just seems to participate in smash discussions without full knowledge of a lot of stuff.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Are you not familiar at all with the fact that racing has existed in the Star Fox universe, and that it was a direct callback to F-Zero?
Nobody ever said it was going to be only space animals racing. The idea of a racing game in the SF universe raised hopes for the crossover to finally happen.
Yeah, the G-Zero racing ending in Star Fox: Command. I'm aware. And as much of a call back as that was it doesn't mean anything for a potential Star Fox Racing. It's more likely that the game, being in the Star Fox universe which has exactly 0 humans, wouldn't have any sort of direct callback to F-Zero at all. MAYBE at most a Big Blue or Mute City track like in Mario Kart 8 but there most certainly would not be Captain Falcon or any sort of lore from the F-Zero games present in a Star Fox Racing game. It wouldn't. Because humans don't exist in the Star Fox Universe. And that's fine. That's good. But you can't tell me that a Star Fox Racing game would help F-Zero. No, Star Fox is just as Niche as F-Zero and would make nary a splash for F-Zero. It just means that Nintendo would rather tackle another franchise with the F-Zero mindset than another F-Zero game. Which isn't good. At all.
By "people" you mean the vocal minority that clamors for F-Zero, right? Because honestly, Nintendo wants to sell the game with the biggest market appeal. And F-Zero historically wasn't a huge seller. If SF has a bigger potential, so be it. But having F-Zero in the game would be the biggest shot for F-Zero to gain steam for its own revival, imo.
"Vocal Minority" or not. F-Zero is still a franchise that people want to see make a comeback. Keep in mind it was also a "Vocal Minority" that wanted Metroid Prime 4 or K. Rool and Ridley in Smash. Besides that we're in a completely different gaming climate than we were in 2004. Fire Emblem of all things is now a flagship property for Nintendo. F-Zero could blow up and become a big ****ing deal like Fire Emblem but if they waste that potential on Star Fox then it won't happen. It'll alienate Star Fox fans like myself because it just ain't Star Fox. It'll alienate F-Zero fans cause it ain't F-Zero. So what minority is left? Honestly, let Ubisoft's Starlink team make a new Star Fox and let F-Zero be it's own thing. I'd rather F-Zero stay dead than become a superfluous add on to the Star Fox Universe.

Anyways, this conversation has digressed from the point of this thread so if you'd like to continue it then I invite you to the Ultimate Social Thread so that we can keep this one on track.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

About Tansut, I have no idea since he doesn't seem to have posted anything about the Direct, at least on ERA.
If he is so unsure, he should have kept quiet about it. He might have sources, I'm not saying that he hasn't (although his track record isn't so superb so far..), but people will only be taking it has he did a big major guess with a capital G and covered it up with "my sources thinks but is unsure", and I can't blame them if they would think that with all things considered. I know scoopers from the movie industry and they would facepalm seeing a comment like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It really would be nice if people just don't get so ahead of themselves with something like "this character was the one heard the most among leakers, so it's gotta be him/her". I never understood that logic to begin with, considering this is a LEAKBAIT list where maybe even all of them are not the real one, and the one that becomes more suspicious for being heard the most, should be considered the biggest mislead instead, not the opposite. A leakbait list's purpose is to mislead people, not guide them towards the truth.

I think people should move past from trusting who was heard the most, and actually wait for more SOLID evidence. There is a reason why even Vergeben refused to talk about the SE names to begin with, because THIS was gonna happen. His stance of only coming out with a specific name was the right one, but yeah… they screwed him over and the list got out. It really would be for the best, for both people's expectations and also their way of analyzing things more properly, to not take "the most heard" character as a big lead, when it comes to leakbaiting of all things. Even when he is sure about something he heard, it turns out to be wrong, and it's not even the first time this happens… so people should be prepared for that with Erdrick or whatever DQ as well. I'm honestly 100% open to any SE character at this point, even characters not from the list, it also makes speculation even more fun than just focusing on one character and making this thread of a list of characters into a 2.0 thread of a specific character, which is what has happened for the last dunno how many pages, lol, and honestly that became boring as far as speculation goes.

The boring but logical middle ground sometimes is just the best one.:link:
Generally speaking, I agree. "I heard this the most" does not equal "This character is in." It's why I held back on believing Erdrick was in. However, I think we're not in this stage anymore. We're at a point where some people are just saying Erdrick is in. Given how we are now two months from a potential reveal, probably Brave, it's highly likely that the actual information over the SE rep is now surfacing. At this stage, I can't really trust Vergeben, but I can believe that his main source was right over Erdrick. Vergeben hasn't been wrong on the one point that got him famous in the first place: He has never guessed a character would be in and was wrong about it. It might be more fun to say Vergeben is unreliable so we can keep speculating on who the DLC is, and on another level it makes sense to not take him 100% at his word, but I think it's hard to keep discussing when we're at a wait-and-see stance.

D

Deleted member

That Direct was certainly interesting, I'm kind of glad this happened. Nothing against Verge or DQ but now we're free to Speculate instead of "It's Erdrick, It can't be anyone else. It's Erdrick."

Maybe DQ was Leakbait? IIRC Verge never saw Evidence of Erdrick and only heard him the most and since Star Fox Grand Prix turned out to never be a thing we know Nintendo isn't afraid of using leakbait so who's to say DQ wasn't leakbait or WAS on the Project Plan but later Scrapped akin to what happened with Gematsu.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Generally speaking, I agree. "I heard this the most" does not equal "This character is in." It's why I held back on believing Erdrick was in. However, I think we're not in this stage anymore. We're at a point where some people are just saying Erdrick is in. Given how we are now two months from a potential reveal, probably Brave, it's highly likely that the actual information over the SE rep is now surfacing. At this stage, I can't really trust Vergeben, but I can believe that his main source was right over Erdrick. Vergeben hasn't been wrong on the one point that got him famous in the first place: He has never guessed a character would be in and was wrong about it. It might be more fun to say Vergeben is unreliable so we can keep speculating on who the DLC is, and on another level it makes sense to not take him 100% at his word, but I think it's hard to keep discussing when we're at a wait-and-see stance.
He has been wrong about Smash characters There is an old post from GameFAQs that he mention a **** ton of characters that he had heard prior to E3, like Phoenix Wright, Dixie Kong, Tails etc. I'm gonna see if I can find it

D

Deleted member

He has been wrong about Smash characters There is an old post from GameFAQs that he mention a **** ton of characters that he had heard prior to E3, like Phoenix Wright, Dixie Kong, Tails etc. I'm gonna see if I can find it
I've seen it. He has mentioned that list was from a source he did not believe was reliable and even recommended people to take it at a grain of salt. He clearly did not back this list just how he was not backing a specific SE character for some time.

I've seen it. He has mentioned that list was from a source he did not believe was reliable and even recommended people to take it at a grain of salt. He clearly did not back this list just how he was not backing a specific SE character for some time.
Didn't he also disown it a few weeks later?

D

Deleted member

If he is so unsure, he should have kept quiet about it. He might have sources, I'm not saying that he hasn't (although his track record isn't so superb so far..), but people will only be taking it has he did a big major guess with a capital G and covered it up with "my sources thinks but is unsure", and I can't blame them if they would think that with all things considered. I know scoopers from the movie industry and they would facepalm seeing a comment like that.
The issue is that he claimed a possibility that could happen and gave a warning that he was unsure. I feel the issue here is that people want desperately for the "insiders" to get BTFO and start scrutinizing every bit of info they say. And end up making **** up about what they say every time.

Im of the opinion like many others to never take anything they say at face value, as they can be telling something that can become true, false or something in between.

D

Deleted member

Awww, that's kind of a shame.

I was growing attached to the thought of going zoom zoom with Slippy Toad.
I honestly thought the new Star Links racing mode was what people meant when we were hearing a Star Fox racing game. I mean... it counts.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It still means a hit in the track record book.

The issue is that he claimed a possibility that could happen and gave a warning that he was unsure. I feel the issue here is that people want desperately for the "insiders" to get BTFO and start scrutinizing every bit of info they say. And end up making **** up about what they say every time.

Im of the opinion like many others to never take anything they say at face value, as they can be telling something that can become true, false or something in between.
I know what he wrote. I checked it out myself. My thing is... he clearly wants to come off as a legit leaker based on what I have seen, and that's all fine and good. But doing a post like this only comes across like he is doing the guessing game instead of actually leaking based on sources. For example, I'm not a fan of Jason Schreier (even less so with his video with Yong Yea but that's a different story), but the fact still remains that he is known as THE video game scooper for a reason. He doesn't just write 500 pieces a month and hopes that at least a third lands ( I know that Xeno writes that amount of claims but you get the point). He writes when he knows he has something solid.

If Xeno wants to come off as someone reliable, then he needs to take a deep breath, take a step back and don't be so trigger happy. We all saw what happen when Hitagi did the same thing... Where is that individual now? Not saying a word because he/she admitted that he/she was to trigger happy and it hurt the reputation.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We shouldn't really take upcoming releases as solid proof of anything. Because there are plenty of upcoming big releases they can take characters from. Thinking new dragon quest game = smash character is more confirmation bias then anything

Take it from a girl who really wants the upcoming Ace Attorney trilogy to come with Phoenix Wright as a smash fighter.
I don't think it's Dragon Quest so much as the prominent spot they gave it in the Direct.

They only cut from headlines twice. Once for Three Houses as advertised in the Direct announcement, and another for Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition. It truly speaks to the solid relationship between Nintendo and the Dragon Quest series, which is a strong point in favor of Erdrick, if nothing else

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't think it's Dragon Quest so much as the prominent spot they gave it in the Direct.

They only cut from headlines twice. Once for Three Houses as advertised in the Direct announcement, and another for Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition. It truly speaks to the solid relationship between Nintendo and the Dragon Quest series, which is a strong point in favor of Erdrick, if nothing else
They had so much highlight because they had a lot to reveal. With your argument, we are going to see Sephiroth because Final Fantasy was in such a big highlight when the ports where revealed. With your argument, Edelgard or whoever it would be from FE3H will be in Smash. You are grasping for straws here.

D

Deleted member

I know what he wrote. I checked it out myself. My thing is... he clearly wants to come off as a legit leaker based on what I have seen, and that's all fine and good. But doing a post like this only comes across like he is doing the guessing game instead of actually leaking based on sources. For example, I'm not a fan of Jason Schreier (even less so with his video with Yong Yea but that's a different story), but the fact still remains that he is known as THE video game scooper for a reason. He doesn't just write 500 pieces a month and hopes that at least a third lands ( I know that Xeno writes that amount of claims but you get the point). He writes when he knows he has something solid.

If Xeno wants to come off as someone reliable, then he needs to take a deep breath, take a step back and don't be so trigger happy. We all saw what happen when Hitagi did the same thing... Where is that individual now? Not saying a word because he/she admitted that he/she was to trigger happy and it hurt the reputation.
You bring up a solid point on the philosophy of practical leaking. However, being trigger happy does not mean Vergeben is wrong when he backs a fighrer. Now that Vergeben officially backs Erdrick, though, we've now reached the point where Vergeben's neck is on the chopping block. That does not equate to "I don't really trust this source so take this with a grain of salt because I expect it to be wrong." His credibility over who is in Smash can't be tarnished when he himself does not believe a source is reliable like with that list you mentioned. Saying it hurts him misses my argument for an excuse to rant about Vergeben's practices, which is not the topic.

The topic is his high batting average when he does sit down seriously and backs a fighter. When he said he believed Ridley was in, he was in. When he said Simon was in, he was in. When he said Isabelle was in, she was in. When he said Incineroar was in, he was in despite the Grinch leak pointed everywhere but Incineroar. This is an irregular streak that cannot be dismissed as of now. While DLC could very well be a different ball park, he seems to have learned that and played patiently until he heard something solid from his main source. I'd say we're nearing the end by now because of it. He's saying he backs Erdrick. That means either Erdrick is in or Vergeben can never be trusted for all that he was originally worth.

They had so much highlight because they had a lot to reveal. With your argument, we are going to see Sephiroth because Final Fantasy was in such a big highlight when the ports where revealed. With your argument, Edelgard or whoever it would be from FE3H will be in Smash. You are grasping for straws here.
He wasn't saying it meant Erdrick is in. Only you're saying that. What he's saying is that it's evidence of DQ and Nintendo having a relationship with each other. This means it's still likely to see Erdrick and his chances aren't really that much lower than they were originally.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
have the top insiders (dunno what to call them, the more-known guys like Imran and the ResetEra guys) said anything about DLC, or at least anything that could hint they've heard stuff?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You bring up a solid point on the philosophy of practical leaking. However, being trigger happy does not mean Vergeben is wrong when he backs something. Now that Vergeben officially backs Erdrick, though, we've now reached the point where Vergeben's neck is on the chopping block. His credibility over who is in Smash can't be tarnished when he himself does not believe a source is reliable like with that list you mentioned. Saying it hurts him misses my argument as an excuse to rant about Vergeben's practices, which is not the topic.

The topic is his high batting average when he does sit down seriously and backs a fighter. When he said he believed Ridley was in, he was in. When he said Simon was in, he was in. When he said Isabelle was in, she was in. When he said Incineroar was in, he was in despite the Grinch leak pointed everywhere but Incineroar. This is an irregular streak that cannot be dismissed. While DLC could very well be a different ball park, he seems to have learned that and played patiently until he heard something solid. I'd say we're nearing the end by now because of it.
I was speaking about Xeno in this.. so I don't know why you are talking about. But anyway. Yes, Vergeben, Xeno, etc could have something on DLC. But right now, they have NOTHING going for them in that regard. Xeno even admitted that no one had heard about Joker which IMO should signal something (aka it being a different beast).

He wasn't saying it meant Erdrick is in. Only you're saying that. What he's saying is that it's evidence of DQ and Nintendo having a relationship with each other. This means it's still likely to see Erdrick and his chances aren't really that much lower than they were originally.
He was quoting someone that said she wished that the Ace Attorney games would be a sign for Pheonix Wright. So it certainly comes off like that. But even so, my argument still remains with that logic... Edit... Heck with that logic we could argue for Sora considering the big focus on Disney properties with one of them being to point out Captain Marvel who just so happens to get a movie soon

have the top insiders (dunno what to call them, the more-known guys like Imran and the ResetEra guys) said anything about DLC, or at least anything that could hint they've heard stuff?
Ryce has said that no one really knows about it and its a different beast then the smash roster, and at this point Its looking more and more likely

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That Direct was certainly interesting, I'm kind of glad this happened. Nothing against Verge or DQ but now we're free to Speculate instead of "It's Erdrick, It can't be anyone else. It's Erdrick."

Maybe DQ was Leakbait? IIRC Verge never saw Evidence of Erdrick and only heard him the most and since Star Fox Grand Prix turned out to never be a thing we know Nintendo isn't afraid of using leakbait so who's to say DQ wasn't leakbait or WAS on the Project Plan but later Scrapped akin to what happened with Gematsu.
Reminder: Tansut, the only person who leaked Cloud, has come out in favor of Erdrick. Erdrick is still incredibly likely compounding that and other factors, if not all but confirmed.
Here's another good post for you:
I just finished reading the last pages and i just wanted to share some thoughts on Vergeben and other leakers' credibility.

I think it can be useful for speculation's sake to monitor a leaker's credibility by noting which of their predictions were wrong/true, the context of the predictions etc. Tho i'm pretty sure some people have and will continue to misinterpret the significance of Vergeben's mistakes. In other words. i feel like a totally reasonable assessment of the situation could easily degenerate into an illogical conclusion :

Vergeben was wrong, his credibility took a hit,
> he's more likely to be wrong for DLC predictions
> he will be wrong for DLC predictions
> he won't be right ever again
> all insiders are wrong

Maybe it seems like an extreme case of 'jumping to conclusions' but i have the feeling that something along those lines could realistically happen.

Anyway as i stated before, imo, insiders info should always be at least considered but never 100% discarded or 100% trusted.

That's my 2 cents a.k.a. the boring (but logical) middle ground :p
Vergeben is still as credible as ever imo. He was never really foolproof to begin with, and I'd say we're in the same place we were before Vergeben came out in favor of Erdrick (essentially, before the Direct). Even then I'd say his credibility hasn't taken that hard of a hit. I get that some are eager to see him proven as a fraud, especially because he's leaking Erdrick instead of a more conventionally popular character, but we should still seriously consider what he has to say.
Geez dude, calm down. I don't know what I did to you, but there's no need to be so hostile.

Anyways, I never said Dragon Quest's prominent spot means that Erdrick's going to be in Smash. I said that it proves Nintendo's close ties with the series, with Koizumi would refer to Dragon Quest as "that classic rpg series" and Nintendo would give it a prominent spot in the Direct, actually pausing the headlines to show it, instead of shoving it in a headline like all the other games. This close relationship can be used to argue for Erdrick, but it's just a point in his favor, not conclusive evidence.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Reminder: Tansut, the only person who leaked Cloud, has come out in favor of Erdrick. Erdrick is still incredibly likely compounding that and other factors, if not all but confirmed.
Here's another good post for you:

Vergeben is still as credible as ever imo. He was never really foolproof to begin with, and I'd say we're in the same place we were before Vergeben came out in favor of Erdrick (essentially, before the Direct). Even then I'd say his credibility hasn't taken that hard of a hit. I get that some are eager to see him proven as a fraud, especially because he's leaking Erdrick instead of a more conventionally popular character, but we should still seriously consider what he has to say.

Geez dude, calm down. I don't know what I did to you, but there's no need to be so hostile.

Anyways, I never said Dragon Quest's prominent spot means that Erdrick's going to be in Smash. I said that it proves Nintendo's close ties with the series, with Koizumi would refer to Dragon Quest as "that classic rpg series" and Nintendo would give it a prominent spot in the Direct, actually pausing the headlines to show it, instead of shoving it in a headline like all the other games. This close relationship can be used to argue for Erdrick, but it's just a point in his favor, not conclusive evidence.
Glad to see you TPC!
I disagree with the Vergeben statement kinda. He INSISTED on things such as Pikmin 3, a non-Link's Awakening 2D Zelda, Star Fox Grand Prix...he ****ed up big time. And that's not even getting started on the Minecraft debacle.

Erdrick is 100% still in in my book, but instead of relying on Verge here I'm really just depending on what Tansut says. There are currently very few really credible leakers.

D

Deleted member

I was speaking about Xeno in this.. so I don't know why you are talking about. But anyway. Yes, Vergeben, Xeno, etc could have something on DLC. But right now, they have NOTHING going for them in that regard. Xeno even admitted that no one had heard about Joker which IMO should signal something (aka it being a different beast).
My bad. I seem to have misread the context of your post.

From where I stand, though, Joker could mean nothing. For starters, I don't remember many people guessing King K. Rool or Richter being in Smash Bros for example. Some characters can just be completely hidden. The characters that are discovered end up being talked about in the end. It's a wait-and-see scenario.

Ryce has said that no one really knows about it and its a different beast then the smash roster, and at this point Its looking more and more likely
When did he say this? I could believe it if we were talking back in December and January, but I'm thinking as more time goes on, more and more information becomes apparent or finalized.

Glad to see you TPC!
I disagree with the Vergeben statement kinda. He INSISTED on things such as Pikmin 3, a non-Link's Awakening 2D Zelda, Star Fox Grand Prix...he ****ed up big time. And that's not even getting started on the Minecraft debacle.

Erdrick is 100% still in in my book, but instead of relying on Verge here I'm really just depending on what Tansut says. There are currently very few really credible leakers.
The leaker support is really what drives me to think Erdrick is in. When you have circumstantial evidence and that, it becomes hard to say it's more unlikely unless someone subscribes to the leakbait angle, which is a fair stance

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My bad. I seem to have misread the context of your post.

From where I stand, though, Joker could mean nothing. For starters, I don't remember many people guessing King K. Rool or Richter being in Smash Bros for example. Some characters can just be completely hidden. The characters that are discovered end up being talked about in the end. It's a wait-and-see scenario.

When did he say this? I could believe it if we were talking back in December and January, but I'm thinking as more time goes on, more and more information becomes apparent or finalized.

The leaker support is really what drives me to think Erdrick is in. When you have circumstantial evidence and that, it becomes hard to say it's more unlikely unless you subscribe to the leakbait angle, which is fair.
Oh no Erdrick is definitely in, just...fewer leakers then we think actually back him.

D

Deleted member

The issue is never the leakers, its the info they carry. A lot of the time, people find the info unpleasant and just want reasons to discard it.

Both Xenother and Hitagi, posted in arguably informal sites about these possibilities with Hitagi retracting the info when he got the info wrong. If Xenother never made that claim and the Erdrick reveal happened, people would still dismiss him. That was the best idea to communicate it instead of making baseless claims.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

You have done nothing against me. But I have heard that argument more than once for more than just Erdick (a couple of time here earlier in the post on top of it) when people seem to fail to realize that one of the big things Nintendo has done is to do their damndest to repair relationship status with third-party support. It is getting facepalm worthy.

We have a Blizzard game on a Nintendo product for the first time in 18 years and it got an entire commercial on its own. Does that mean a Blizzard character is getting into Smash? We have them pushing Fortnite hard, does that mean we are getting a fortnite dude in Smash? Like I said in the editing, with your argument we might as well get Sora considering they highlight Disney side by side, with one of the key things in MUA3 is a certain character that just so happens to get a movie release next month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom