• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Guys, I need to know something.

Ignoring things like the 5chan leak, what other things pointed to Erdrick specifically?
Like, I'm not saying he's out of the running, but how much was towards him specifically and not DQ in general to mean someone like Luminary (since honestly, Luminary/DQ XI fit the same mold as Joker/Persona 5 do...) could be the one instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah that's a good summary of it.

Well the day of the direct is over. New era now.
Indeed. It's now the era of Super Mario Maker 2 speculation.

Plot twist: the Square Seven are all mystery mushroom costumes, none of them are in Smash. 2B is Fighter's Pack 2 instead.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Ignoring things like the 5chan leak, what other things pointed to Erdrick specifically?
Like, I'm not saying he's out of the running, but how much was towards him specifically and not DQ in general to mean someone like Luminary (since honestly, Luminary/DQ XI fit the same mold as Joker/Persona 5 do...) could be the one instead?
Well, There's Tansut saying that the character has Male/Female alts which the Luminary lacks as he can only be male.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Like, I'm not saying he's out of the running, but how much was towards him specifically and not DQ in general for someone like Luminary (since honestly, Luminary/DQ XI fit the same mold as Joker/Persona 5 do...)?
That's been talked about quite a bit.

summary:
leakers: Vergeben, Tansut, & Xenother are the most notable, among others.
data: Brave as a codename easily connects to a Dragon Quest hero, and even a hal employee called erdrick's shield the brave's shield.
popularity: DQ is huge in japan, and could easily be the next in line after Cloud, for square. Erdrick is kind of the most important dq hero there, tho definitely not the most recent.

Indeed. It's now the era of Super Mario Maker 2 speculation.

Plot twist: the Square Seven are all mystery mushroom costumes, none of them are in Smash. 2B is Fighter's Pack 2 instead.
umm. ok. ;p

Post 12,000 btw.
I just realized we totally glossed over going over 300 pages. :O

Last edited:
I just finished reading the last pages and i just wanted to share some thoughts on Vergeben and other leakers' credibility.

I think it can be useful for speculation's sake to monitor a leaker's credibility by noting which of their predictions were wrong/true, the context of the predictions etc. Tho i'm pretty sure some people have and will continue to misinterpret the significance of Vergeben's mistakes. In other words. i feel like a totally reasonable assessment of the situation could easily degenerate into an illogical conclusion :

Vergeben was wrong, his credibility took a hit,
> he's more likely to be wrong for DLC predictions
> he will be wrong for DLC predictions
> he won't be right ever again
> all insiders are wrong

Maybe it seems like an extreme case of 'jumping to conclusions' but i have the feeling that something along those lines could realistically happen.

Anyway as i stated before, imo, insiders info should always be at least considered but never 100% discarded or 100% trusted.

That's my 2 cents a.k.a. the boring (but logical) middle ground :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Huh. I didn't know there wasn't a female Luminary.
The more you know...
There's 4 games in the main series where you can choose gender: 3,4,9, and 10.
Then there's spin-offs like Builders and Heroes where you can too.

I just finished reading the last pages and i just wanted to share some thoughts on Vergeben and other leakers' credibility.

I think it can be useful for speculation's sake to monitor a leaker's credibility by noting which of their predictions were wrong/true, the context of the predictions etc. Tho i'm pretty sure some people have and will continue to misinterpret the significance of Vergeben's mistakes. In other words. i feel like a totally reasonable assessment of the situation could easily degenerate into an illogical conclusion :

> all insiders are wrong

Maybe it seems like an extreme case of 'jumping to conclusions' but i have the feeling that something along those lines could realistically happen.

Anyway as i stated before, imo, insiders info should always be at least considered but never 100% discarded or 100% trusted.

Nice color usage ;)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

> all insiders are wrong

Over the past few years I've really taken a different approach to leaks in general. It's much better to use them as discussion points rather then believing or not believing in something. Hell, Link's Awakening alone shows that sometime true information can take years to be verified. I've been a critic of Verge since he first showed up on the scene, but even I have had to defend him when people spread false info. In all honesty, Verge should be treated as an information broker. It's very possible that a lot of the things he does bring up may actually happen even if he doesn't get dates right.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
From my understanding. All there is that can be seen as solid is that Erdrick is called brave. Well so is a lot of people in video games. Everything else is being completely based off "Well DQ is popular". I've seen compilation posts for every character imaginable to prove they are in. And they use the exact same stuff that is going for Erdrick right now. (tweets, sales numbers, "X guy said this")

Sure Tansuit got a character right. But that doesn't mean he is going to be right again. He also said there was a leaked picture out that Nintendo was mad about that ended up never being found.
If you translate the Japanese word Yuusha literally, it will be something like "the one with brave", "man of valor", or "person of courage". But as a Japanese myself, I think the most fitting translation is "The Brave".
The word Yuusha is now used to describe certain type of heroes in any narratives thanks to DQIII's success, but when you just throw out the word Yuusha without any contexts, then people will automatically think of Dragon Quest protagonists especially DQIII hero, Roto or Erdrick. He is not just a yuusha. He is THE Yuusha.
The link between DQ and the word Yuusha is much stronger than people outside Japan think.

Personally, the biggest hmm of this whole DQ rumor speculations beside the leaks is that the DQXI's producer mentioned smash in DQB2's special broadcast before its launch.
It's kinda funny smash bros' name came out from Square Enix's official video.
https://youtu.be/Fjd_KijgmXI?t=1125

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
One thing I'd like to point out is that Joker's height value (Which is the same as Young Link, iirc) might be, as expected, a placeholder value. We did see his model and it appears to be around the same size as Marth/Lucina. This absolutely opens the door to "brave" height of 13 to be nothing more than a placeholder as well.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Tansut and the argument for Dragon Quest itself, among other arguments, beg to disagree.
Tansut leaked one character, literally hours before that character got revealed. And the argument for Dragon Quest could be chalked up to the same one could make for any series getting a lot of love for the Switch. Ergo, we could argue for Sephiroth with that logic. And as someone who wants Phoenix Wright, I can definitely tell you, it's not as solid as you wish it were.

Feel free to expect Erdrick, but considering how talks of him mainly began because of Vergeben, don't be surprised if people are less confident. And thank goodness, now speculation can be more than just him.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
We shouldn't really take upcoming releases as solid proof of anything. Because there are plenty of upcoming big releases they can take characters from. Thinking new dragon quest game = smash character is more confirmation bias then anything

Take it from a girl who really wants the upcoming Ace Attorney trilogy to come with Phoenix Wright as a smash fighter.
Exactly. If a game comes to Switch means Smash Bros, I guess Speiroth is comming due to ports? Or is Sora comming because they are clearly working with Disney with exlusive rights for MUA3 and that Disney Toy game. The same goes for Goku because Fighter Z, Dovakhin because Skyrim port. The list goes on..

Erdrick could come as a fighter but the DQ games sure ain't a proof of that.

D

Deleted member

I am fine with any kind of DQ content in Smash.
Erdrick would be great but I would love to see Eight more, even if he is Erdrick’s Alph.
Slime is fine too.
Dragonlord would be a cool villain, and I love to play as them.
Luminary would also be dope.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I am fine with any kind of DQ content in Smash.
Erdrick would be great but I would love to see Eight more, even if he is Erdrick’s Alph.
Slime is fine too.
Dragonlord would be a cool villain, and I love to play as them.
Luminary would also be dope.
I'd be okay with DQ Mii Costumes (Luminary, Erdrick, etc) and Slime Hat

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Me too, tbh.
Yeah, even tho I want DQ rep at some point in Smash, I really can't care less if Erdrick isn't in Smash, I mean, I'd have to conform with the best version of DQXI on my Switch, with full orchestrated music and gameplay flexibility between retro and 3d version. Poor little me..

I WANT IT NOW ;_;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, even tho I want DQ rep at some point in Smash, I really can't care less if Erdrick isn't in Smash, I mean, I'd have to confort myself with the best version of DQXI on my Switch, with full orchestrated music and gameplay flexibility between retro and 3d version. Poor little me..

I WANT IT NOW ;_;
Thank god that I didn’t get the PS4 version yet.
Now I can save money for the Switch port instead.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

> all insiders are wrong

It really would be nice if people just don't get so ahead of themselves with something like "this character was the one heard the most among leakers, so it's gotta be him/her". I never understood that logic to begin with, considering this is a LEAKBAIT list where maybe even all of them are not the real one, and the one that becomes more suspicious for being heard the most, should be considered the biggest mislead instead, not the opposite. A leakbait list's purpose is to mislead people, not guide them towards the truth.

I think people should move past from trusting who was heard the most, and actually wait for more SOLID evidence. There is a reason why even Vergeben refused to talk about the SE names to begin with, because THIS was gonna happen. His stance of only coming out with a specific name was the right one, but yeah… they screwed him over and the list got out. It really would be for the best, for both people's expectations and also their way of analyzing things more properly, to not take "the most heard" character as a big lead, when it comes to leakbaiting of all things. Even when he is sure about something he heard, it turns out to be wrong, and it's not even the first time this happens… so people should be prepared for that with Erdrick or whatever DQ as well. I'm honestly 100% open to any SE character at this point, even characters not from the list, it also makes speculation even more fun than just focusing on one character and making this thread of a list of characters into a 2.0 thread of a specific character, which is what has happened for the last dunno how many pages, lol, and honestly that became boring as far as speculation goes.

The boring but logical middle ground sometimes is just the best one.:link:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t find Vergeben failing as a huge deal.
However, I am someone who never takes any leak as an official thing no matter who made it.

I respect Vergeben and don’t mind him making mistakes with his leaks, but I just don’t take any leak as fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Erdrick seems a bit less likely, but he still has quite a bit of stuff going for him. That’s about it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I still can't imagine them going with anything besides Slime if DQ was going to be added. That is one recognizable face to people that haven't even heard of Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

Then is a pick to please hardcore DQ fans (mayority of Japan), not to introduce the franchise in the west (once again)
I feel like Erdrick could get the heroes from other DQ games as his alts, similar to Bowsy and the Koopalings.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Most of us have pointed this out regarding Geno but the Yoshi's Crafted World demo hides an Easter egg that features a box of "Yo'ster Cookies"

This is a very interesting easter egg not for the fact that it is referencing cookies but it makes a direct reference to Yo'ster Island. The name used in Super Mario RPG for Yoshi's Island. Yoshi Cookies also played a huge part with this island. You can buy them as items that can later summon Yoshi as well as use them for the Yoshi Races. The tie in makes sense.

This is not a translation of any kind. Yo'ster is the name used for Yoshi Island when Square could not use names for specific Mario enemies and locations. So to my knowledge, Yo'ster Island was only used for Super Mario RPG. The very idea they would use this name for the first time in years raises many alarms in speculation. Especially following up with the Megasmilax and Chewy name drops earlier.

This alone does wonders for Geno's theoretical chances now!
20190213_220619.jpg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Then is a pick to please hardcore DQ fans (mayority of Japan), not to introduce the franchise in the west (once again)
Probably. If they wanted to please the West, they'd pick Eight, but he isn't as influential as Erdrick.
Probably similar reasoning to them picking Simon over Alucard.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Probably. If they wanted to please the West, they'd pick Eight, but he isn't as influential as Erdrick.
Probably similar reasoning to them picking Simon over Alucard.
I thought his reasoning was that Simon was more recognizable?

D

Deleted member

I still can't imagine them going with anything besides Slime if DQ was going to be added. That is one recognizable face to people that haven't even heard of Dragon Quest.
I would be fine with Slime as a fighter.
That being said, my mind tends to make me imagine a scenario where he is used for Mii gear like the Chocobo, as much as I don’t wish that.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have the weirdest reason to want Slime over any other DQ character if I had to choose one… and it's because I'm watching that anime called "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" lol

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
This is not a translation of any kind. Yo'ster is the name used for Yoshi Island when Square could not use names for specific Mario enemies and locations. So to my knowledge, Yo'ster Island was only used for Super Mario RPG.
Isn't Yo'ster Island the Japanese name for Yoshi's Island, the place, even back in Mario World? I thought even the Melee Yoshi's Island stage was just called that in Japanese.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Isn't Yo'ster Island the Japanese name for Yoshi's Island, the place, even back in Mario World? I thought even the Melee Yoshi's Island stage was just called that in Japanese.
Yeah but then Call it Yoshi's Cookies, Why using the direct Romaji if it was never used before.. Only in SMRPG for sure.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I thought this too, but I couldn't find a single piece of evidence behind the claim.

They also had a reference to Mario Kart Wii with a Moo Moo Meadows milk bottle but Nintendo has never used Yo'ster Island in the context of an english game after Super Mario RPG. RPG is the only time that Yoshi Island was ever referred to as such.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It might totally be confirmation bias. But us in the Geno thread have noticed that Nintendo is referencing Super Mario RPG A LOT. For like. No good reason currently. They just kinda keep doing it. Going into territory that we are pretty sure they had to negotiate with SE for.

Being a direct reference in the first stage of a new release they released a demo for seems like they really want us to notice it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It might totally be confirmation bias. But us in the Geno thread have noticed that Nintendo is referencing Super Mario RPG A LOT. For like. No good reason currently. They just kinda keep doing it. Going into territory that we are pretty sure they had to negotiate with SE for.
I really hope that Geno fans get any kind of good news in the near future.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
if you scroll to the bottom of this page, you can see it shows Yo'ster Island being the name in Partners in Time and Super Mario World:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Island_(place)

however, typing Yo'ster Island in Google just gives you SMRPG stuff, and the font on the sign is almost like SMRPG's basic font, but it could be coincidence. Nintendo seems to keep bringing up SMRPG ever-so-often anyway, though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
if you scroll to the bottom of this page, you can see it shows Yo'ster Island being the name in Partners in Time and Super Mario World:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Island_(place)

however, typing Yo'ster Island in Google just gives you SMRPG stuff, and the font on the sign is almost like SMRPG's basic font, but it could be coincidence. Nintendo seems to keep bringing up SMRPG ever-so-often anyway, though.
That and SMRPG is the only game that associates the term Yo'ster with cookies.

Top Bottom