• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I really want to play FF IX but I still haven't finished Tales of Vesperia definitive edition. Adulting sucks.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Still no price? anyone taken a look for that?
I'm gonna wait for now because i actually feel more like playing ff10 than it right now.

Does the nintendo e-shop get specials sometimes?
Didn't check my Switch yet. :(

I’ll have to check it out, I’m personally waiting for FFX to release on Switch. However this is a FF game that I have not had the pleasure to play, so definitely interested.
Hear me out. This FF is LEAGUES better than X.
If you enjoy classic FF, this is the one that defined the end of that era. And a nice swan song to the old generation of FF writers, designers and developers.
You may enjoy X too, but imo, the game is worth for its soundtrack more than anything else.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

If you enjoy classic FF, this is the one that defined the end of that era. And a nice swan song to the old generation of FF writers, designers and developers.
You may enjoy X too, but imo, the game is worth for its soundtrack more than anything else.
Alright.
I'd say 9 is better overall, but 10 has its own thing going. And some people really didn't like the blitzball minigame. I liked it.

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
First of all, it's crazy to see a thread like this get to 12,000 posts. I never thought we'd last this long tbh.

Second, Verge really ****ed up this time, huh?

I like how he specifically and confidently said that the Zelda game would have nothing to do with Link's Awakening lmao.

As for the Erdrick situation, I think he's still in the running and the most likely atm, mostly because of Tansut/the codename. Verge being wrong as hell is gonna get a lot of people thinking otherwise, which is completely understandable lmao. There's still the possibility that it could be someone else though.

Also, I'm glad we got to at least see Joker. I definitely feel like we're gonna get a March Smash Direct with Joker gameplay/Brave reveal like some people have been saying.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like how he specifically and confidently said that the Zelda game would have nothing to do with Link's Awakening lmao.
His previous message said it "might" be a LA game.

I'm not sure why he changed his mind. I'm wondering what's going on, cause it's confusing.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Seems like Verge is taking risks in his leaks again. Regardless, I don't think the hit against him in anyway hinders Erdrick's chances, not like Erdrick is riding on Verge. He's got more going for him than Verge.

Anyway, we got exactly what I expected Smash wise from this direct. A Joker Release date window.

Star of the show was definitely the Link's Awakening remake. My God that's going to be great. I figured out what it was almost instantly. I literally can't wait!

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Seems like Verge is taking risks in his leaks again. Regardless, I don't think the hit against him in anyway hinders Erdrick's chances, not like Erdrick is riding on Verge. He's got more going for him than Verge.

Anyway, we got exactly what I expected Smash wise from this direct. A Joker Release date window.

Star of the show was definitely the Link's Awakening remake. My God that's going to be great. I figured out what it was almost instantly. I literally can't wait!
Tell me about it. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, so I'm pretty ecstatic about the remake.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

The question is does this game have a legendary laughing scene like X does :p?

Just kidding I’m always interested in FF scores, that’s why I was annoyed by Square’s stinginess in sharing their music with Smash Bros. As they have so many beautiful music pieces from FF alone. FF15 still has my favorite music in all of Final Fantasy, beating Somnus, Veiled in Black, and Apocalypis Acquarius will be tough. However you definitely got me excited to hear the music from this Final Fantasy,

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The question is does this game have a legendary laughing scene like X does :p?

Just kidding I’m always interested in FF scores, that’s why I was annoyed by Square’s stinginess in sharing their music with Smash Bros. As they have so many beautiful music pieces from FF alone. FF15 still has my favorite music in all of Final Fantasy, beating Somnus, Veiled in Black, and Apocalypis Acquarius will be tough. However you definitely got me excited to hear the music from this Final Fantasy,
FFX has one of the three best soundtracks in the entire series.
Speaking as someone who didn't enjoy the game.
IX is unforgettable as well. Esto Gaza is an underrated gem of a theme.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Tell me about it. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, so I'm pretty ecstatic about the remake.
It's my second and as soon as I realized how 1:1 it is to the GB version it was I lost my mind! It's beautiful!

Lots of great stuff this direct! FF9 too! I wish 8 was feasible because I love it...

I'm definitely getting Dragon Quest 11S! It looks incredible!

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It's my second and as soon as I realized how 1:1 it is to the GB version it was I lost my mind! It's beautiful!

Lots of great stuff this direct! FF9 too! I wish 8 was feasible because I love it...

I'm definitely getting Dragon Quest 11S! It looks incredible!
I wish VIII was possible too.
A pity that current gen S-E is so incompetent that they actually lost the original source code for the game. Ports are now unfeasible, unless they reverse engineer stuff from the PC release.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Not really, no.

Even if we assume that Vergeben is debunked (which he isn't), Erdrick still has a lot going for him.
We really are back at Square One though, because Erdrick doesn't really have anything solid going for him. Verge was the one thing that most people could claim had foundation and he's wrecked that now.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We really are back at Square One though, because Erdrick doesn't really have anything solid going for him. Verge was the one thing that most people could claim had foundation and he's wrecked that now.
Tansut and the argument for Dragon Quest itself, among other arguments, beg to disagree.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
From my understanding. All there is that can be seen as solid is that Erdrick is called brave. Well so is a lot of people in video games. Everything else is being completely based off "Well DQ is popular". I've seen compilation posts for every character imaginable to prove they are in. And they use the exact same stuff that is going for Erdrick right now. (tweets, sales numbers, "X guy said this")

Sure Tansuit got a character right. But that doesn't mean he is going to be right again. He also said there was a leaked picture out that Nintendo was mad about that ended up never being found.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Out of curiosity were any other leakers aside from Vergeben wrong in their leaks about this direct?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Was my source the only person who knew Link's Awakening would be revealed today? That was what the crab hint was for, btw. Just curious if anybody else knew that would be today's reveal. Kingzell said 2D zelda in 2019, but didn't know it'd be this direct and didn't know it'd be a remake. Hmm.
links awakening.png

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
We're in a drought of info, literally no one has any info going for them right now. Erdrick at least has something which is more than nothing that many, many others have.

Plus, Nintendo literally begged this direct for people to give a damn about DQ in the west. It probably won't work because DQ is always gonna be a niche JRPG over here, but it definitely counts for something down the road for DQ in Smash.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Tansut and the argument for Dragon Quest itself, among other arguments, beg to disagree.
I missed this, but apparently during the direct they said they'd have more DQ stuff to talk about at a later date, or something along those lines, and Smash had a similar statement as well I believe.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I missed this, but apparently during the direct they said they'd have more DQ stuff to talk about at a later date, or something along those lines, and Smash had a similar statement as well I believe.
Smash will always have more talk about. That kinda comes with the DLC season, so it's not the most solid correlation.

D

Deleted member

From my understanding. All there is that can be seen as solid is that Erdrick is called brave. Well so is a lot of people in video games.
Heroes in Dragon Quest are literally called "Braves" in Japan.
That's far different than "so and so is brave".

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Seriously though- its disgusting that this poll did not Include Lara Croft.

-Dragon Quest Character
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Those are the most iconic, impactful, monetarily huge franchises in media, from Squeenix.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
That was almost certainly in reference to DQXI S specifically. Between that and Builders 2 they've got plenty DQ-related to talk about that isn't a Smash character.

The fact that Nintendo's western branches have two DQ games they need to market this year is encouraging, though. An investment in DQ has always been partly an investment in themselves, but that's more pertinent than usual now.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

-Dragon Quest Character
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Those are the most iconic, impactful, monetarily huge franchises in media, from Squeenix.
I'm pretty sure Lara Croft wasn't one of the rumored names, and that's why she's not on this list.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

-Dragon Quest Character
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Because Lara wasn't on Verge's list that this thread is based off of.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Whelp looks like the drought for new Smash information continues for another month or two. Anywho, anyone downloading Final Fantasy 9 tonight? I'm downloading it right now because I love what I played of that game.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We shouldn't really take upcoming releases as solid proof of anything. Because there are plenty of upcoming big releases they can take characters from. Thinking new dragon quest game = smash character is more confirmation bias then anything

Take it from a girl who really wants the upcoming Ace Attorney trilogy to come with Phoenix Wright as a smash fighter.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Was my source the only person who knew Link's Awakening would be revealed today? That was what the crab hint was for, btw. Just curious if anybody else knew that would be today's reveal. Kingzell said 2D zelda in 2019, but didn't know it'd be this direct and didn't know it'd be a remake. Hmm.
View attachment 192284
There's no way anyone would get Zelda LA from a giant crab picture. :/
especially when pikmin already has giant crabs.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Whelp looks like the drought for new Smash information continues for another month or two. Anywho, anyone downloading Final Fantasy 9 tonight? I'm downloading it right now because I love what I played of that game.
Is it 21$? I'm still not sure about getting it for now. Definitely worth it for anyone who doesn't have it tho, that's for sure.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's no way anyone would get Zelda LA from a giant crab picture. :/
especially when pikmin already has giant crabs.
As well as some rpg's.

That took me for a loop. Like, the closest relating to Zelda was Toon Link's non-hero clothes in Wind Waker at best? Or am I remember it having a crab on it wrong?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
As well as some rpg's.

That took me for a loop. Like, the closest relating to Zelda was Toon Link's non-hero clothes in Wind Waker at best? Or am I remember it having a crab on it wrong?
That was a lobster. The closest thing to a crab for Link's Awakening are the twin ghoma bosses

Top Bottom