• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, if anyone is interested, here are my thoughts on the Direct:
Pretty much like every Direct cycle, I get hyped af before and during the direct, and after the direct ends with an announcement I was hoping for, I start thinking it was underwhelming. But looking back, I think it was a solid 7/10.
- I absolutely LOVED Super Mario Maker 2. You guys may not play the original that much or be into Kaizo Mario and stuff, but the addition of Slopes, and, SPECIALLY, the On and Off switches made it so much hype. But to me, the addition of the 3D World mode warranted the new game. The amazing thing about SMM is that each mode has its own physics and gameplay. It's amazing they created an entirely new one just for us instead of just going the safe route and include SMB2. AND we're getting to play as Luigi, Toad and Toadette!!
-Yoshi's Crafted World is always welcome. I'm hyped for that game and I can't wait to play it.
-The Smash ****tease was brutal. We saw basically half of Joker's Model. But at least we know that we're actually getting new modes and content. I expect the return of Home Run Contest, Break the Targets and Board the Platforms. I also think we're getting a batch of spirits to accompany it.
-FFIX shadowdropping instead of VII left me completely astonished. I've been replaying it on Steam, so it's funny to see it come today. I'll buy it on Switch to show support and play it on the go when I get a job.
-Really didn't care for DaemonXMachina
-FE Three Houses looks interesting. Graphics-wise, it's underwhelming. The artstyle doesn't make up for it. The character design is excellent, but the game looks like a slightly improved FE Warriors. Hoping the story is as cool as it looks. Kinda funny it's going the FFVIII route with the premise, a bit.
-I ****ING LOVED the DQ XI S announcement. Orchestral soundtrack, choosing Japanese and Eng audio, adapting the 3DS world map to console to make it look even more faithful to a NES rendition of a classic DQ worldmap... I'm buying this day one.
-Oninaki legit looks awesome! Definitely checking it out. This is the new S-E IP we are getting.
-Deltarune and the new Platinum IP coming to Switch is awesome.
-And finally, do I need to say how enchanted I am for that Link's Awakening Remake? It's absolutely beautiful, adorable, with great music accompaning it. I loved everything about!! I can't wait to play it!

There were, however, things I was kinda disappointed:
-The Retro game we KNOW it exists and has completed development. I was really hoping the Star Fox-FZero crossover would have been a thing. I think Retro would have made the perfect job to take care of these two franchises like no other developer outside of Nintendo.
-Metroid Prime Trilogy HD which was a given, is absent.
-Smash DLC Pack 2
-Sneak Peek on Pokemon Gen 8
-And, FFVII Remake (yes, I'm expecting it to show in a Nintendo Direct, idc what people think)

In the end, pretty solid. Was happy with some stuff, but was hoping for that final huge announcement. I guess they are saving these for E3.
For now, I just find it weird that there are games we know are basically complete and Nintendo is holding them off. It's as if they are seeing the leaks and holding stuff off so they can break the leakers in some form. But that's just me. For now, let's enjoy what we have!

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You can say the exact same for Dragon Quest; don't get ahead of yourself Jovah.
I don't know what you're insinuating, but no. They're not the same. Dragon Quest for Switch comes out in the Fall. Not March. And I'm not going on some path claiming anything's guaranteed. Lord knows such after Verge's hit in credibility.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They explicitly said we'd be getting something before April.
They said about Joker, yes, but that could easily just be a random video revealing Joker gameplay. I seriously doubt we are getting a regular direct next month already and more importantly a smash direct since it would just be about next DLC.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Also, a friendly tip.
Go play FFIX now. It's a masterful game, and a good game to symbolize what FF is about.
Third best FF of all time, imo. And it's a heartwarmer. Many people here might have it as their favorite, given the circumstances.
I know most people here never gave FF a proper shot, so I plead you to go for it

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They said about Joker, yes, but that could easily just be a random video revealing Joker gameplay. I seriously doubt we are getting a regular direct next month already and more importantly a smash direct since it would just be about next DLC.
You seriously think they'll just drop a Joker gameplay vid when we already know there is a huge update releasing next month and Joker still needs to be released?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
more importantly a smash direct since it would just be about next DLC.
Dude, they made a Smash direct out of 3 DLC characters, one of which we'd seen even more of than Joker before.

Couple that with the new modes and whatnot we're apprently getting in 3.0. You're kidding yourself if you think they don't have enough to fill a Smash direct with.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
woops I forgot about Tansut; he said we're getting Erdrick, too.

maybe we should just drop Vergeben's leaks; King Zell said Pikmin 3 so I believe it being on Switch sometime is still real, but Vergeben said it would be in this Direct and now we need to grab our torches and pitchforks.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Also, a friendly tip.
Go play FFIX now. It's a masterful game, and a good game to symbolize what FF is about.
Third best FF of all time, imo. And it's a heartwarmer. Many people here might have it as their favorite, given the circumstances.
I agree. especially after ff8, it was such a return to what FF was about before.
I wonder what the price is? I already have it on ps1, do you know what's updated about it?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

maybe we should just drop Vergeben's leaks; King Zell said Pikmin 3 so I believe it being on Switch sometime is still real, but Vergeben said it would be in this Direct and now I have to wait even longer.
It's just as likely King Zell fell for the same bait Vergeben's boys did. Don't take P3 as confirmed.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's been so long since I've played FFIX that I kinda do what to get it on the Switch.

maybe I won't accidentally miss a weapon for Steiner and Freya and actually be able to get every ability next time. Man I hate points of no return

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's just as likely King Zell fell for the same bait Vergeben's boys did. Don't take P3 as confirmed.
maybe but I've seen Emily Rogers or some other credible leaker mentioning a Wii U port among other games, and neither she nor King Zell said anything about the Direct in the stuff I saw (except King Zell said MPT might be in the Direct).

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I agree. especially after ff8, it was such a return to what FF was about before.
I wonder what the price is? I already have it on ps1, do you know what's updated about it?
The models are updated, the menus, UI are better overall. The game follow suit with the Steam release. It's a great game

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Dude, they made a Smash direct out of 3 DLC characters, one of which we'd seen even more of than Joker before.
So you are saying a mini direct talking about Joker and fighter 2? Because I doubt they would announce 2 at the same time

At this point, I'm starting to believe Ryce who said that DLC is an entirely different beast and no leaker doesn't really know anything at this point.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So you are saying a mini direct talking about Joker and fighter 2? Because I doubt they would announce 2 at the same time

At this point, I'm starting to believe Ryce who said that DLC is an entirely different beast and no leaker doesn't really know anything at this point.
You doubt they would announce the 2nd fighter when Joker was announced in December? It'd be a 4 month long wait until we got 2.

D

Deleted member

Oh ok a response after. wow. I wonder what's the story there. :O
Zenyth told us before about hearing a lot of things. Zenyth from the conversations here seems to be quite careful regarding the info, so there's probably the fact that Verge just jumped the gun and tried to reclaim some legitimacy he lost in the past.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Zenyth told us before about hearing a lot of things. Zenyth from the conversations here seems to be quite careful regarding the info, so there's probably the fact that Verge just jumped the gun and tried to reclaim some legitimacy he lost in the past.
And now its worse

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You seriously think they'll just drop a Joker gameplay vid when we already know there is a huge update releasing next month and Joker still needs to be released?
Since the character is going to be released late April, I could potentially see that they could reveal gameplay late march.. I believe more in early April though... What I'm trying to say, that I doubt they will release Joker without showing the gameplay and they probably want a couple of weeks in order to hype up those that still are on the fences about him so to speak for some reason or another

You doubt they would announce the 2nd fighter when Joker was announced in December? It'd be a 4 month long wait until we got 2.
I do. Because I could easily see two of the 4 remaining revealed at E3. I don't believe that rumor which has Doom Guy in it claiming that 2 characters would be revealed at E3, but the idea of saving some o the characters for E3 is not so farfetched.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
DQ guy: "we'll have more DQ stuff to show later"
Smash guy:"big updates are coming to smash this spring!"
Me, a genius: "it's over for erdrick"

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It's been so long since I've played FFIX that I kinda do what to get it on the Switch.

maybe I won't accidentally miss a weapon for Steiner and Freya and actually be able to get every ability next time. Man I hate points of no return
The best thing to do for FFIX vets is going for the Excalibur II run
I know I'm going for it when I get the Switch version!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
If he thought it was bad now for him, it's going to be even worse after today. They are already going in on him in the GameFaqs thread.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Since the character is going to be released late April, I could potentially see that they could reveal gameplay late march.. I believe more in early April though... What I'm trying to say, that I doubt they will release Joker without showing the gameplay and they probably want a couple of weeks in order to hype up those that still are on the fences about him so to speak for some reason or another
And what I am trying to say is that this gameplay will be in a Smash Direct.

Wow how smug and I still believe it's Erdrick myself.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I also wonder what the blue crab that PP posted was meaning, in the end.
Don't want to sound off as rude, but I'm starting to question every leaker at this point.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wonder how they convinced the composer to let them use the orchestrated tracks...
I've been wondering what's up with this as well TBH. Wonder if there's some interesting behind the scenes stuff. Considering the things I've heard about the composer, I have a hard time believing he suddenly just became open-minded with this stuff.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And in the process, just like old times, has lost even more.
I always knew Ryce was the one to listen to more as a credible source and decent human being compared to Verge.
They said before the end of April.

https://youtu.be/SCME2yPJKWk?t=309
Hmmm. Very well I stand corrected on that bit. But the talk of a Smash direct in March isn't quelled. So the chance is there still.
They can easily make a Smash direct out of Joker, DLC fighter No.2, and all the new modes and whatnot that 3.0 is bringing. Also, technically, it's been long enough that we could even get a tease of a 3rd fighter.
I also wonder what the blue crab that PP posted was meaning, in the end.
Don't want to sound off as rude, but I'm starting to question every leaker at this point.
That was Link's Awakening.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
And what I am trying to say is that this gameplay will be in a Smash Direct.
The whole developing is going to leap to February next year. There is no way in hedgehog that they are revealing more than one character close to Jokers release. Especially (like I said earlier) they have E3 that they could save at least one or two off. Especially if they are some big cards to reveal. Marketing is all about timing, where you spread your reveals like bread crumbs.. Not dumbing it all at once.

They can easily make a Smash direct out of Joker, DLC fighter No.2, and all the new modes and whatnot that 3.0 is bringing. Also, technically, it's been long enough that we could even get a tease of a 3rd fighter.
I give you the new modes on top of Joker and fighter 2. But fighter 3? I say expect E3 at earliest for the third. Its too early to reveal more then one around april

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And now its worse
Way worse. He didn't even address it correctly. I'm not sure what's he thinking.
Isn't he usually more careful about these things?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The fact that they said there would be more in the future may be about DQ updates sometime.

In any case, it just seems like today wasnt going to be a character reveal at all, so it's just about waiting for when they think it's time for it i guess.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
All that DQ content coming to Switch just improves Erdrick's chances, I'm not sure why people are trying to find reasons why it doesn't. A concurrent announcement is not necessary when they straight-up said that they'll be talking more about DQ later.

Top Bottom