• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I know Sakurai can't make two functioning characters in 3 months, but...

You can't at least tease Erdrick like you did Joker?

You focus a large chunk of this direct to his home series and his parent company and he's just absent to be revealed later?

I think that's a dent in his chances.

D

Deleted member

Most importantly though, Tim Rogers now has an excuse to make Dragon Quest 11 GOTY again.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
DQ is more in the mind of people now. They did say there would be something more in the future.

It's just underwhelming not knowing much for smash today :/
I guess we still learned some things tho.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
There was pretty much no chance of a second character tease once they said Joker was gonna be out by the end of April.

Happy with FE and Zelda.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm super weirded out at how Joker is coming out before end of April and they couldn't show more than the back of his model. Also nothing on 3.0 other than a tease. I wonder if that means a smash focused trailer or mini direct coming out next month or something. There is no way they showed this little about joker if he is just less than two months away now, literally. Oh well,that's Nintendo for ya. This thread will remain being Erdrick thread 2.0 so I won't be around as much unless something really substantial comes out as evidence or more solid clue to who the SE character will be. See ya around!

P.D.: I was weirded out about Zelda's style too but hey i still like it, probably the most hype thing for me in this direct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Any Rune Factory Frontier Fan here? Anybody? 'w')7
So happy for RF5
I'm super weirded out at how Joker is coming out before end of April and they couldn't show more than the back of his model. Also nothing on 3.0 other than a tease. I wonder if that means a smash focused trailer or mini direct coming out next month or something. There is no way they showed this little about joker if he is just less than two months away now, literally. Oh well,that's Nintendo for ya. This thread will remain being Erdrick thread 2.0 so I won't be around as much unless something really substantial comes out as evidence or more solid clue to who the SE character will be. See ya around!

P.D.: I was weirded out about Zelda's style too but hey i still like it, probably the most hype thing for me in this direct.
You can still post SE suff not DQ-related in the thread you know :b

After all its kinda the SE general.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

That makes sense. they did say we'd just have to find out for what it would bring. Maybe a smash direct in the not too distant future.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
posted over on the ultimate discussion thread too, but erdrick is on rather less stable ground now at least with regards to trusting vergeben

1550099038138.png

doesn't eliminate all the other piles of evidence in his favor, but it is pretty yikes

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
It’s very interesting with such a huge focus on Dragon Quest in this direct, that Erdrick was not announced for Smash. I can only guess that if it is him they might release him around the same time of release of either DQB2 or DQ11 to keep the hype. The whole situation is really interesting.

All in all it was a great direct, Links Awakening looks great. Also who else got surprised of seeing Goomba’s, the Chain Chomp and Link in the same game?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey

As a big DQ fan who loves the music but hates Sugiyama, I am so, so glad that DQ XI S will have the orchestrated soundtrack! This also gives me hope that, if any DQ music does theoretically come to Smash, then Sugiyama won't get our money.

Eat sh*t you war crime denier.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If there's a Direct for Smash next month, and a Microsoft XBox conference is next month as well...

...guh-huh, bear-bird and block boi are in Smash.

no I'm just gonna expect Erdrick, and any Western character at E3.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well damn, that was actually pretty great for a Direct. Very heavy emphasis on Japanese third party content, but a lot of good stuff and some surprises in there. The Link's Awakening remake not being on 3DS is amazing, and while I kind of wish they'd gone with a different artstyle for the humans, it does remind me of 3D Dot Game Heroes a little bit, which is a very good thing. Super Mario Maker 2 is what I've been wanting for ages. Astral Chain looked like the standard brand of Platinum awesome and crazy, so I'm glad to see that. Dragon Quest 11 was an excellent showing and I'm glad they spent some time demonstrating this version as definitive. Lots of demos and other mid tier titles on the way. Fire Emblem Three Houses looked intriguing like they're really trying to do things differently, though they seem to still be keeping things a little to close to the chest. I'm very interested in what they've shown off and hope it ends up well given Fates isn't exactly the best FE has been.

I would have liked maybe a bit more variety overall, Dead by Daylight looked awful on Switch (Yet Hellblade looked so good?), and the Smash tease was the annoying brand of "Something is coming, but we're not going to talk about it." I hope 3.0 brings more than just Joker like a Home Run Contest, but I'm at least glad we got the Amiibo announcements and confirmation Joker will use the dagger (Though that back shot did look rough still). I know people are going to be disappointed at that announcement though, it would have been some nice extra oomph to the Direct.

That said, I know some people are going to celebrate that Erdrick didn't get confirmed here. But honestly, I think he's more likely than ever. Joker clearly still needs more development time and there is just no reason to rush an announcement if the first challenger is so far off. Dragon Quest 11 comes out later in the year, and I suspect they'll show it off at E3 or something too, so I can totally see another big announcement down the line for Dragon Quest and Smash that's closer to when that situation is relevant. I'm not trying to just contribute to the "Erdrick support thread," but Dragon Quest 11 got one of the big billing spots this Direct and that's kind of a big deal. Plus that 2D mode looked amazing heheh.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
posted over on the ultimate discussion thread too, but erdrick is on rather less stable ground now at least with regards to trusting vergeben

View attachment 192187

doesn't eliminate all the other piles of evidence in his favor, but it is pretty yikes
The fact he said Pikmin 3 port is coming, along with Star Fox Grand Prix, plus Zelda game no connection to Link’s Awakening.

I would really take any leaks Vergeben is saying, and leakers who use him as a reference with a grain of salt. Iv said it before, but the whole Erdrick situation is far from being 100% confirmed. So far Nintendo is keeping Smash leakers on their toes, and I would not be surprised if this continues.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
No mouse this time, but they have more to announce for Mario Maker 2, and haven't announced Pikmin yet, so there's still hope... AND ALWAYS WILL BE!

Dragon Quest push was great though, and some other cool stuff too, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
So I think it's pretty obvious we'll be getting a Smash Direct sometime soon with 3.0.0 being the focus. Guessing that's where we'll get Brave

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Square just whiffed TWO perfect opportunities to reveal DQ.

I'm not gonna say Erdrick isn't happening, but that's an OOF move by Square lmao.
That's because Square isn't doing it, its Nintendo. And seeing how Joker wasn't even ready to be shown gameplay it's safe to say that "Brave" isn't close to done either.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also who else got surprised of seeing Goomba’s, the Chain Chomp and Link in the same game?
They were in the original. You know who was also in Link's Awakening?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

View attachment 192187

I'm starting to doubt that Erdrick even more, ALSO there's no way they would've known about him this far in advance! The fact that Joker still isn't done says a lot! How could you had known about him at all, if the first character isn't even close to being done yet?! It's just not adding up to me anymore! This goes back to what Sakurai said about a month ago in his Famitsu column about Joker's progress!

I'm officially back on the Sora train with all of this waiting, this waiting is torture! I don't give a bull about what the leakers/insiders say anymore. I'm back on the "No one knows the DLC train, and on no one can't predict Nintendo" too.

Hmm... so it seems like my possible theory of Erdrick being announced first accompanied with a port announcement never went anywhere. There could still be the potential announcement of him and a DQ3 remake in the works as another possible theory, but the likelihood of that is 50/50.

I am kinda glad that a new character wasn't announced, the thought of seeing one nearly gave me a heart attack alone.

Looks like I have more room to give my thoughts on predicting the Square character for my write-up. Hopefully, it is a newcomer announcement in March, cause I will definitely finish my write-up by the end of February.

Interesting how Vergeben was wrong about the announcements.

It is certainly an interesting day today.
Oh, I hope he's ready for the lash of fans later today that's going to come his way, considering how confident he was in the announcements he thought was going to happen! I'm at the point of not even trusting the guy anymore!

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

View attachment 192187

if I were allowed to post a single reaction image as a post, it would be that gif of J Jonah Jameson laughing at peter parker. I agree that it doesn't negate all his other stuff, but it does put a smile on my face.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Verge is still the most trusted leaker. He got some stuff wrong with this direct. He never said erdrick would be announced in it, in fact he only confirmed that he backs erdrick.

So, 1 step forward 1 step back, so we're largely in the same place :/
We dont know ****.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Verge is still the most trusted leaker. He got some stuff wrong with this direct. He never said erdrick would be announced in it, in fact he only confirmed that he backs erdrick.

So, 1 step forward 1 step back, so we're largely in the same place :/
We dont know ****.
the implication is more that his primary source (the one who 'knows' about directs) fed him both this nonsense and erdrick (he said his primary source was what tipped him onto erdrick)

basically no-one actually knows ****

Teeb147

Smash Legend
the implication is more that his primary source (the one who 'knows' about directs) fed him both this nonsense and erdrick (he said his primary source was what tipped him onto erdrick)

basically no-one actually knows ****
I would think in the context of his main source for SE, it's different. I doubt he only has '1' main source for all gaming stuff.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I just finished watching the Direct.

And it played out way differently than I thought, and that's not regarding Smash.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it overall...

How about you guys?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's pretty ****ty that just because 1 character has a bit more backing, that everyone wants to tear it down.

Why can't you just have some ****in openness for whatever character you like, and stop trying to tear down possibilities for others?
I'm all for talking all SE characters, but this kind of thing coming just because some people thought erdrick would be announced today is bs.

This aint and has never been erdrick thread 2.0. You dont need to be like this to talk for the characters you like.
It's not a pleasant environment, and I'm gonna step out if this kind of stuff keeps going.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I just finished watching the Direct.

And it played out way differently than I thought, and that's not regarding Smash.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it overall...

How about you guys?
I'm really excited about FE and I think that it's getting the shakeup it needed. Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening are great and I'm kind of interested in Rune Factory 5. DQ11 is gonna make me double dip, and I'll check out Builders 2. Hell, I'm even interested in the platinum thing too.

I guess no Smash is kind of disappointing for some but like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much either way. Joker isn't even ready to be shown and isn't going to be out until April-ish, so getting Brave this early is just unlikely.

Top Bottom