• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

KH music wouldnt have any trouble getting in smash seeing how Yoko is deep inside smash at this point
That could also be a point for Geno since Yoko worked on both, still doesn't mean Geno or Sora are in but it's definitely easier for them when it comes to music.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That could also be a point for Geno since Yoko worked on both, still doesn't mean Geno or Sora are in but it's definitely easier for them when it comes to music.
I imagine Yoko would love to work on both again. She has noted that those two games along with Street Fighter 2 were the turning point of her career.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To any Dragon Quest fans who are still cautious about Erdrick happening, I applaud your caution.

While there have been times where "insider" leaks worked out in favor of certain fanbases, there have also been times where it was outdated information or simply wrong (on the former, it was with Chrom and Chorus Kids for the Gematsu leaks during Smash 4). With so many other fighters confirmed by the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak, it seemed almost inevitable that Chrom was going to be a newcomer (as a matter of fact, he was seen as the most likely newcomer on the second list of newcomers after Little Mac), yet it ended up that every main Awakening protagonist became playable EXCEPT him. Chrom fans had to wait another four years before he would finally become playable in Smash Bros. (and even then he was extremely lucky to even make it as an echo fighter).

Now look at what happened with the Chorus Kids where Rhythm Heaven still has no major content at all in Ultimate.

Dragon Quest fans should continue to push for their favorite series inclusion in Smash Bros. until it actually happens.

I will cite two personal examples where I disregarded leaks even though they contained characters that I have personally wanted for years (Ridley and Roy).

One was with Roy. Back when Mewtwo was released as DLC for Smash 4, there were leftover files for Roy and Ryu. Many detractors said these files meant nothing because Roy and especially Ryu were not as requested as other characters within the "Smash bubble" (this is ignoring the fact that Roy was among the Top 10 most wanted characters among the Western fanbase for most of pre-Smash 4 and Roy being among the Top 3 most wanted among Japanese fans during pre-Smash 4). I myself thought it was a very encouraging sign, but I personally remembered the files left over from Brawl that showed Roy was in development for that title (and that while he could very well be planned as DLC, he might be a low priority DLC character was my concern). My personal belief is that the battle was not over for Roy until he was outright confirmed for Smash 4. I still pushed for him hard in the two months until his confirmation in June.

For Ridley, even though many were strongly believing Vergeben's leaks about Ridley, I personally thought it was too good to be true. From the 17 years I had been supporting Ridley online, every single rumor or "leak" that had Ridley in it ended up being fake. As a matter of fact, after 2013, every leak I saw that mentioned Ridley as a playable character I automatically discounted as being fake. I was automatically skeptical of any leak mentioning Ridley as a playable character. Moreover, this leak also mentioned that there would be no cuts from Smash 4, and that Simon Belmont was also a newcomer. It was simply too good to be true in my opinion (though I really wanted it to be real).

Fortunately, Everyone is Here and Ridley hitting the big time actually ended up coming to pass. I could not believe it (and even now I think it is miraculous that it even happened).

Finally, look at the "banner leak", most of SmashBoards believed that because it had most of the most wanted "Smash bubble" characters on it, and people who were skeptical of it were derided (the "insiders" particularly). Myself personally, I was skeptical of the banner leak simply due to Sakurai's own language at E3 and during the August direct, where Sakurai implied there were only a few characters left. Sakurai made a similar warning after Isabelle's confirmation. Instead many people ended up being upset with the final roster simply due to a well crafted fake leak (and disregarded the fact that this roster gave us every single veteran back, Castlevania, the two biggest Nintendo characters created during the 2010's - Inkling and Isabelle, and the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers for Smash Bros. during the last ten years - Ridley and K. Rool).

Dragon Quest fans similarly should not set themselves up for a disappointment. They should continue to support the series's inclusion for Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is not confirmed for Smash Bros. until it is formally confirmed. When that time will be, remains to be determined. Until then, like the hero, press forth. Your journey is not over yet.

On a sidenote, I submitted this response before I typed out the entirety of it out (I hit submit accidentally before I typed everything out).

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm curious, how exactly was it found out that Star Fox Grand Prix was a huge *** hoax? Anything public that can be shared PolarPanda PolarPanda or ZenythSmash ZenythSmash ?
Somebody very very popular and high in the industry told Zenyth who shared with me. It's legitimate information, just trust me on this one. I just promised not to share who it was from.

On another note, I got informed on Verge's situation. Needless to say, incorrect info did not come from all of his main sources. For clarification, I believe zenyth posted a screenshot of one of verge's DMs on either here or another site before where he got CORRECT INFORMATION about the 2d Zelda game. This was all a mess for him, but I think it's too early for people to say he is completely out of the game. He still does have some good sources. After learning more about him, I still think at the very least, the most skeptical people should put some weight to his smash information.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
To any Dragon Quest fans who are still cautious about Erdrick happening, I applaud your caution.

While there have been times where "insider" leaks worked out in favor of certain fanbases, there have also been times where it was outdated information or simply wrong (Chrom and Chorus Kids for the Gematsu leaks during Smash 4). With so many other fighters confirmed by the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak, it seemed almost inevitable that Chrom was going to be a newcomer (as a matter of fact, he was seen as the most likely newcomer on the second list of newcomers after Little Mac), yet it ended up that every main Awakening protagonist became playable EXCEPT him. Chrom fans had two wait another four years before he would finally become playable in Smash Bros. (and even then he was extremely lucky to even make it as an echo fighter).

Contrast that with the Chorus Kids. Rhythm Heaven still has no major content at all in Ultimate.

Dragon Quest fans should continue to push for their favorite series inclusion in Smash Bros. until it actually happens.

I will cite two personal examples where I disregarded leaks even though they contained characters that I have personally wanted for years (Ridley and Roy).

One was with Roy. Back when Mewtwo was released as DLC for Smash 4, there was leftover files for Roy and Ryu. Many detractors said these files meant nothing because Roy and especially Ryu were not as requested as other characters among the "Smash bubble" (this is ignoring the fact that Roy was among the Top 10 most wanted characters among the Western fanbase for most of pre-Smash 4 and Roy being among the Top 3 most wanted among Japanese fans during pre-Smash 4). I myself thought it was a very encouraging sign, but I personally remembered the files left over from Brawl that showed Roy was in development for Brawl (and that while he could very well be planned as DLC, he might be a low priority DLC character was my concern). My personal belief is that the battle was not over for Roy until he was outright confirmed for Smash 4. I still pushed for him hard in the two months until his confirmation in June.

For Ridley, even though many were strongly believing Vergeben's leaks about Ridley, I personally thought it was too good to be true. From the 19 years I have been supporting Ridley online, every single rumor or "leak" that had Ridley in it ended up being fake. As a matter of fact, after 2013, every leak I saw that mentioned Ridley as a playable character I automatically discounted as being fake. I was automatically skeptical of any leak mentioning Ridley as a playable character. Moreover, this leak also mentioned that there would be no cuts from Smash 4, and that Simon Belmont was also a newcomer. It was simply too good to be true in my opinion (though I really wanted it to be real).

Fortunately, Everyone is Here and Ridley hitting the big time actually ended up coming to pass. I could not believe it (and even now I think it is miraculous that it even happened).

Look at the "banner leak", most of SmashBoards believed that because it had most of the most wanted "Smash bubble" characters on it, and people who were skeptical of it were derided (the "insiders" particularly). Myself personally, I was skeptical of the banner leak simply due to Sakurai's own language at E3 and during the August direct, where Sakurai implied there were only a few characters left. Sakurai made a similar warning after Isabelle's confirmation. Instead many people ended up being upset with the final roster simply due to well crafted fake leak (nevermind the fact that this roster gave us every single veteran back, Castlevania, the two biggest Nintendo characters created during the 2010's, and the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers for Smash Bros. during the last ten years).

Dragon Quest fans similarly should not set themselves up for a disappointment. They should continue to support the series's inclusion for Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is not confirmed for Smash Bros. until it is formally confirmed. When that time will be, remains to be determined. Until then, like the hero, press forth. Your journey is not over yet.

On a sidenote, I submitted this response before I typed out the entirety of it out (I hit submit accidentally before I typed everything out).
Thank you. This is my attitude toward Erdrick and I'm not budging, and will support the possibility of other Square Enix characters making it in the whole way through. It isn't over 'til it's over.

Similarly, I'm still hoping at least one of the new DLC characters is from a Nintendo series. You know I want Dixie Kong as well as Erdrick, so while I'm not expecting her I'm still holding out hope.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Somebody very very popular and high in the industry told Zenyth who shared with me. It's legitimate information, just trust me on this one. I just promised not to share who it was from.

On another note, I got informed on Verge's situation. Needless to say, incorrect info did not come from all of his main sources. For clarification, I believe zenyth posted a screenshot of one of verge's DMs on either here or another site before where he got CORRECT INFORMATION about the 2d Zelda game. This was all a mess for him, but I think it's too early for people to say he is completely out of the game. He still does have some good sources. After learning more about him, I still think at the very least, the most skeptical people should put some weight to his smash information.
So the DM was before Verge posted his statement on GameFAQs about the 2D Zelda game, right? I mean, if he changed his mind, he had a bad source convince him. That's simple and obvious. But if his GameFAQs statement is before the DM, that means he was sure on the wrong thing, but changed his mind later, meaning he wasn't "wrong" about that particular bit of the leak.

I'd just like to know the timeline on this one. :)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I suppose you can just say that I'm a curious spectator. I don't need to know everything, I just need enough to be able to put the pieces together. On that note, How did it spread in the first place?
I'm going to assume he fell to old habits and jumped the gun on much of his direct info?

So the DM was before Verge posted his statement on GameFAQs about the 2D Zelda game, right? I mean, if he changed his mind, he had a bad source convince him. That's simple and obvious. But if his GameFAQs statement is before the DM, that means he was sure on the wrong thing, but changed his mind later, meaning he wasn't "wrong" about that particular bit of the leak.

If I recall the picture correctly, the Reddit DM is from the 6th, 6 days before he changed his mind.

EDIT: Found it

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
If I had to bet the ones that make the most sense based on previous Square patterns, are the following.

Neku
Sora

And to an extent Sephiroth and Erdrick.

Here’s why I say that, so far all cross promoted characters from Square are all globally popular. That’s a strike against Erdrick and all DQ characters.

Also Square does not cross promote a character from the same franchise in the same game. For example we do not see Noctis and Lightining in Tekken 7. Or 2B and A2 in Soul Calibur 6.

Now this could be because Smash will be the first fighting game not from Square themselves that will feature 2 Square characters. So it is possible that they will do two characters from the same franchise. The part of them not choosing a globally popular character like Erdrick is a very gray area. We have not seen Square do this before, they are usually cautious with their cross promoted picks and they are always globally popular. So it’s had to say if they are willing to take a gamble and push for Erdrick or stay safe like they always have and choose a globally popular character.
...You seem to think DQ not being "globally popular" is a big strike against it, but what if I told you that it's probably the series' biggest strength in this particular situation? The thing is, SE wants DQ to be "globally popular", so they might see Smash as a big opportunity to push DQ and increase interest for the franchise in the west. I'm sure they want DQ XI S to get into as many people's hands as possible, and a DQ character in Smash could potentially cause a lot more people to give it a try.

That aside, it's Nintendo picking the DLC, not SE. Given Nintendo's history and relationship with Dragon Quest as a series, I'm willing to bet that it'd be their first choice when it comes to SE franchises.

Multiple choice question, if Nintendo did in fact ask SE for DQ (which I believe they would), would SE respond by saying -

A: "Nah, we only use characters from our globally popular franchises for crossovers. May we suggest Neku or Sora?"
B: "No. Go away!"
C: "This could be a great opportunity to promote a series that we really want to gain more steam in the west..."

Personally, I think "C" would be the correct answer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with the whole "DQ is unlikely because it's not globally popular" thing you seem to believe. Maybe they would actually feel like that, but I'd forever consider them foolish for letting an opportunity like promoting DQ in Smash slip through their fingers. I would never be able to take them seriously whenever they talked about wanting DQ to become more popular in the west anymore.

That's just how I see it, though. I could be wrong, and I'll happily admit it if I am.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While there have been times where "insider" leaks worked out in favor of certain fanbases, there have also been times where it was outdated information or simply wrong (Chrom and Chorus Kids for the Gematsu leaks during Smash 4). With so many other fighters confirmed by the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak, it seemed almost inevitable that Chrom was going to be a newcomer (as a matter of fact, he was seen as the most likely newcomer on the second list of newcomers after Little Mac), yet it ended up that every main Awakening protagonist became playable EXCEPT him. Chrom fans had two wait another four years before he would finally become playable in Smash Bros. (and even then he was extremely lucky to even make it as an echo fighter).

Contrast that with the Chorus Kids. Rhythm Heaven still has no major content at all in Ultimate.

One was with Roy. Back when Mewtwo was released as DLC for Smash 4, there was leftover files for Roy and Ryu. Many detractors said these files meant nothing because Roy and especially Ryu were not as requested as other characters among the "Smash bubble" (this is ignoring the fact that Roy was among the Top 10 most wanted characters among the Western fanbase for most of pre-Smash 4 and Roy being among the Top 3 most wanted among Japanese fans during pre-Smash 4). I myself thought it was a very encouraging sign, but I personally remembered the files left over from Brawl that showed Roy was in development for Brawl (and that while he could very well be planned as DLC, he might be a low priority DLC character was my concern). My personal belief is that the battle was not over for Roy until he was outright confirmed for Smash 4. I still pushed for him hard in the two months until his confirmation in June.

For Ridley, even though many were strongly believing Vergeben's leaks about Ridley, I personally thought it was too good to be true. From the 19 years I have been supporting Ridley online, every single rumor or "leak" that had Ridley in it ended up being fake. As a matter of fact, after 2013, every leak I saw that mentioned Ridley as a playable character I automatically discounted as being fake. I was automatically skeptical of any leak mentioning Ridley as a playable character. Moreover, this leak also mentioned that there would be no cuts from Smash 4, and that Simon Belmont was also a newcomer. It was simply too good to be true in my opinion (though I really wanted it to be real).

Look at the "banner leak", most of SmashBoards believed that because it had most of the most wanted "Smash bubble" characters on it, and people who were skeptical of it were derided (the "insiders" particularly). Myself personally, I was skeptical of the banner leak simply due to Sakurai's own language at E3 and during the August direct, where Sakurai implied there were only a few characters left. Sakurai made a similar warning after Isabelle's confirmation. Instead many people ended up being upset with the final roster simply due to well crafted fake leak (nevermind the fact that this roster gave us every single veteran back, Castlevania, the two biggest Nintendo characters created during the 2010's, and the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers for Smash Bros. during the last ten years).

Glad to hear you got some of your favorites in. I've been always leaning on DQ being likely but not 100% sure honestly. I feel that while there is someone that feels legit as Tansut and Polar's comments backing him up gives me more confidence, there is still no actual proof that is 100% happening so I don't really want to jump the gun.

And TBH while I want DQ in Smash, as I would love to see one of my favorite series in the game fighting out with Link and Cloud, I would be more happy if the push that Nintendo gave to the franchise in the last direct translates to stop having long gaps in-between localizations. Smash is great to play but I'm pretty much happy with the roster now and I only really have 1~3 characters that would seem essential to the game like a DQ rep, that are not really a dealbreaker for me. I like to play DQ, and if you gave me the choice of a character for a game and the games getting english releases, I would prefer to never worry about the localization again (while if I can have both, the better).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
yup

and keep in mind, regardless what Vergeben rumored recently, this doesn't wreck the rumor speculation for Erdrick. (but it did made some big misconception in the community)

also, its a bit of a shocker that Sugiyama is including his Orchestra music into the switch-exclusive port. Maybe he's softening up or did Nintendo struck a giant deal with him?
People here are keep saying that Sugiyama is super stingy about others using his music is bit odd to me.
I mean, I hear a lot of DQ musics from various TV shows or commercials. Celebrities talk about DQ in TV shows happens quite often and they are using Sugiyama's musics all the time. Or they are using his music even where nothing to do with DQ.
Japanese TV shows use OSTs from games and animes, not just as BGMs but as main themes too, and that's because they are cheap and easy to use. Sometimes they use them in dramas. So hearing game musics from TV is not unusual thing and DQ music is no exception.
https://vimeo.com/6342508
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUbTdIGoHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlBMU_yI0Y

And I don't think he is stingy about his orchestral musics either because he is saying that usually he takes quite an amout of time to create a single score and admitted his work is getting slower as he get old. So he was joking that he is glad that DQ's development takes huge time compare to other games.
He also said he start creating his musics after he actually play the game to grasp the feelings of it so he's not really moving from the get go.
DQXI having no orchestrals could be simply because they didn't make them in time. This is only my assumption though.
I don't find him as money money kind of guy too. His DQ concert is known for its modest price. SE maybe stingy but idk about Sugiyama.
DQ music has played by many orchestras with no involvement of Sugiyama or SE though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTIImdQlRes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-52m_46gEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwF7LjvXJE

I imagine Yoko would love to work on both again. She has noted that those two games along with Street Fighter 2 were the turning point of her career.
Then I imagine Yoko would love to work with Sugiyama since his music is the turning point of her life.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

In a DM from late january, he said the direct would be in february and that his main source #1 confirmed to him a 2d zelda that is a link's awakening remake was coming. Around the direct, another source convinced him otherwise. It was all a mess, basically.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In a DM from late january, he said the direct would be in february and that his main source #1 confirmed to him a 2d zelda that is a link's awakening remake was coming. Around the direct, another source convinced him otherwise. It was all a mess, basically.
Okay, so DM was first. So he believed a bad source. Thank you.

But hey, this happens. People change their minds all the time. People can provide evidence that is convincing, even if in the end it's wrong. It's life, you know?

At least he wasn't always 100% on it being "not LA", so that's interesting.

D

Deleted member

While there have been times where "insider" leaks worked out in favor of certain fanbases, there have also been times where it was outdated information or simply wrong (on the former, it was with Chrom and Chorus Kids for the Gematsu leaks during Smash 4). With so many other fighters confirmed by the Sal Romano/Gematsu leak, it seemed almost inevitable that Chrom was going to be a newcomer (as a matter of fact, he was seen as the most likely newcomer on the second list of newcomers after Little Mac), yet it ended up that every main Awakening protagonist became playable EXCEPT him. Chrom fans had to wait another four years before he would finally become playable in Smash Bros. (and even then he was extremely lucky to even make it as an echo fighter).

Now look at what happened with the Chorus Kids where Rhythm Heaven still has no major content at all in Ultimate.

One was with Roy. Back when Mewtwo was released as DLC for Smash 4, there were leftover files for Roy and Ryu. Many detractors said these files meant nothing because Roy and especially Ryu were not as requested as other characters within the "Smash bubble" (this is ignoring the fact that Roy was among the Top 10 most wanted characters among the Western fanbase for most of pre-Smash 4 and Roy being among the Top 3 most wanted among Japanese fans during pre-Smash 4). I myself thought it was a very encouraging sign, but I personally remembered the files left over from Brawl that showed Roy was in development for that title (and that while he could very well be planned as DLC, he might be a low priority DLC character was my concern). My personal belief is that the battle was not over for Roy until he was outright confirmed for Smash 4. I still pushed for him hard in the two months until his confirmation in June.

For Ridley, even though many were strongly believing Vergeben's leaks about Ridley, I personally thought it was too good to be true. From the 17 years I had been supporting Ridley online, every single rumor or "leak" that had Ridley in it ended up being fake. As a matter of fact, after 2013, every leak I saw that mentioned Ridley as a playable character I automatically discounted as being fake. I was automatically skeptical of any leak mentioning Ridley as a playable character. Moreover, this leak also mentioned that there would be no cuts from Smash 4, and that Simon Belmont was also a newcomer. It was simply too good to be true in my opinion (though I really wanted it to be real).

Finally, look at the "banner leak", most of SmashBoards believed that because it had most of the most wanted "Smash bubble" characters on it, and people who were skeptical of it were derided (the "insiders" particularly). Myself personally, I was skeptical of the banner leak simply due to Sakurai's own language at E3 and during the August direct, where Sakurai implied there were only a few characters left. Sakurai made a similar warning after Isabelle's confirmation. Instead many people ended up being upset with the final roster simply due to a well crafted fake leak (and disregarded the fact that this roster gave us every single veteran back, Castlevania, the two biggest Nintendo characters created during the 2010's - Inkling and Isabelle, and the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers for Smash Bros. during the last ten years - Ridley and K. Rool).

E: I just realized this post is practically a ramble with little point to it beyond general stream of conscious over the general issue.

There's generally a hit or miss when it comes to leaks, and I guess they never miss huh?

But seriously, it's usually half-and-half. I think with Joker being the shocker, the unexpected incident already happened. As I calm down, I can say Erdrick is objectively not a lock but I'm still going to be shocked if Erdrick isn't a newcomer at this point. With how many insiders are backing him still and just using pure sense, Erdrick is that character that fits a pattern we've been observing for most DLC newcomers (Bayonetta being an oddball who's series was introduced in the 21st century, but she's said to have won the poll so that explains why).

I guess I'm the sort to where if someone points out when a leak has failed them, I can point out when there was a successful leak. It's why I have a hard time believing anyone but Erdrick is going to make it in for the SE rep in Season 1 of DLC. Duality of man, am I right? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Big oof if it happens but I got over Piranha Plant so who cares if I'm wrong about Erdrick? Setting myself up for disappointment is like my life so far. I welcome it.

The final roster is pretty great, though. If you haven't played Brawl or Melee in years, then characters like Pichu and Snake are practically newcomers now. It's balance is superb and its mechanics have finally closed the gap between competitive and casual play. Objectively, Smash Ultimate is a success that rivals every Smash game before it. However, with more characters coming, we want to see the characters we want. Sounds natural. The DLC will only add, though. They can literally give us a blue turd and I'm sure we'll all still buy it because it's more Smash content and it'll be high quality Smash content.

So yeah. As a guy who who grew up around DQ thanks to his bro, I think things are falling into place quite nicely for now. However, I really gotta wonder who the final three DLC characters are going to be if we're getting someone like Erdrick. Maybe Resident Evil? A Namco character? Possibilities are endless beyond E3.

D

Deleted member

Where is that info from?

Edit: Yoko was the one who composed those soundtracks, not Sugiyama.
I would think that what Ayumi was referring to was that Yoko would be pleased to work on one of the DQ tracks if given the opportunity. Seems that from the interview, she respects Koji Kondo and Sugiyama a lot.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

After Geno, I'll be rooting for you guys. I really like a lot of things about Dragon Quest and learned a lot the past two months. Geno and Chocobo are still my front two if I had to take characters owned by Square, but I'd like some kind of Dragon Quest material in Smash Bros so we can celebrate that franchise too.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I know that insiders can get wrong information from time to time, but it's getting really hard to respect Vergeben. There were times where he got upset that people refuse to believe his leak on the SmashFAQS Board. Now he got stuff wrong and refuse to say anything. Hold the L.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I know that insiders can get wrong information from time to time, but it's getting really hard to respect Vergeben. There were times where he got upset that people refuse to believe his leak on the SmashFAQS Board. Now he got stuff wrong and refuse to say anything. Hold the L.
To be fair, It doesn't matter what he says. He can have proof up the ass detailing how it was his fault for being too trusting and not his (Reliable) sources and he'd still be vilified

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, It doesn't matter what he says. He can have proof up the *** detailing how it was his fault for being too trusting and not his (Reliable) sources and he'd still be vilified
Well he can come up and just say "I was wrong about the Direct" and move on. He doesn't need to show proof, just coming forward would be enough. If he owns up to it people might stop giving him crap, but then again he does act all high and mighty so it's hard to really care about it right now.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
This is why people want him out! He doesn’t Iike to admit that he’s wrong and can’t take an L, even though he’s had many times before. He of many leakers at this point should know that plans can change. He doesn’t know how take the heat, but can dish it out.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Lol get ****ing pranked Verge top 10 funniest moments
Not even the first time, he already has a history of trusting bad non-smash sources. It's almost as if Smash is the only thing he truly uses his brain for making sure what he shares or what he even believes himself, everything else he is just like "**** it" , lol

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
...You seem to think DQ not being "globally popular" is a big strike against it, but what if I told you that it's probably the series' biggest strength in this particular situation? The thing is, SE wants DQ to be "globally popular", so they might see Smash as a big opportunity to push DQ and increase interest for the franchise in the west. I'm sure they want DQ XI S to get into as many people's hands as possible, and a DQ character in Smash could potentially cause a lot more people to give it a try.

That aside, it's Nintendo picking the DLC, not SE. Given Nintendo's history and relationship with Dragon Quest as a series, I'm willing to bet that it'd be their first choice when it comes to SE franchises.

Multiple choice question, if Nintendo did in fact ask SE for DQ (which I believe they would), would SE respond by saying -

A: "Nah, we only use characters from our globally popular franchises for crossovers. May we suggest Neku or Sora?"
B: "No. Go away!"
C: "This could be a great opportunity to promote a series that we really want to gain more steam in the west..."

Personally, I think "C" would be the correct answer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with the whole "DQ is unlikely because it's not globally popular" thing you seem to believe. Maybe they would actually feel like that, but I'd forever consider them foolish for letting an opportunity like promoting DQ in Smash slip through their fingers. I would never be able to take them seriously whenever they talked about wanting DQ to become more popular in the west anymore.

That's just how I see it, though. I could be wrong, and I'll happily admit it if I am.

You seem to have misunderstood my point. I did say the whole Erdrick, DQ character situation is a gray area. While it’s true Square always chooses globally popular characters companies can be unpredictable in the way they do business. That is one reason I said it’s a gray area. It’s true DQ is not globally popular as of right now, none of us can deny that, the sales speak for themselves. Could this change at certain points in time, yes it can Fire Emblem has proven this. That being said many people seem to underestimate Square. They seem to think this decision is mostly Nintendo and that is not true. Square has just as much input into who the 2nd SE character is as Nintendo does. It’s a partnership and Square always makes sure they get a deal that helps them in the long run. So the fact that Nintendo has most of power in decision making is not true, it’s more of a 50/50 relationship. Nintendo comes to Square with a list of contenders, and in the end they settle on a character that is the most profitable for both companies.

As for the question, you asked which one would I say Square would choose. It’s option D. None of the Above. Square would most likely respond by calculating the probability of which character would produce the most revenue. They would then compare if this scenario fits with the DQ character, if it does not then I believe they would then suggest the character that would generate the most revenue and proceed from there. You see it’s a game of probability, you are trying to predict the future by using mathematics. This is what I see Square doing, using the character with the highest probability for income success. Now let’s plug this in with Erdrick, can we say Erdrick has the highest probability for income? Well let’s assess the situation, he is not globally popular, however he has the possibility to create a higher fandom of DQ in the West. So it all comes down to a gamble, Erdrick may increase popularity of the DQ series in the West by a significant margin or he may not. This boils down to whether Square is willing to risk it, if Erdrick does not generate high interest in the west then they only get short term income. If Erdrick does generate high interest in the West then they get a lot more people interested in DQ in the west and get long term income. Again like I said, it’s a gray area because in a sense it’s a gamble. Were they to choose a safe character like Sora or Neku, there chances of getting both short term and long term are much higher.

Now how does Nintendo play into all of this, keep in mind Nintendo wants to have Square as a partner in this, but they also want to create revenue. So they most likely will hear out the first couple of Square recommendations. It’s true they most likely came with characters they had in mind to begin with, but after some bartering the two companies will settle on a character. Sora and Neku in my opinion have the highest probability to create revenue for all parties involved. It’s not as much of a gamble, as they are safe picks because they are globally popular. And with Disney becoming closer to Nintendo and giving more free range to Square with Sora it is possible.

Finally I’m in no means saying 100% not Erdrick. Only that Square would not be doing their normal safe patterns if they chose him to represent them. This would be a more daring move on Square’s part. I apologize if my reasoning is confusing, and I thank you for giving such an excellent rebuttal to my previous statement. I definitely look forward to how you will respond to my points, and look forward to areas I might have missed.

Calane

Smash Ace
You seem to have misunderstood my point. I did say the whole Erdrick, DQ character situation is a gray area. While it’s true Square always chooses globally popular characters companies can be unpredictable in the way they do business. That is one reason I said it’s a gray area. It’s true DQ is not globally popular as of right now, none of us can deny that, the sales speak for themselves. Could this change at certain points in time, yes it can Fire Emblem has proven this. That being said many people seem to underestimate Square. They seem to think this decision is mostly Nintendo and that is not true. Square has just as much input into who the 2nd SE character is as Nintendo does. It’s a partnership and Square always makes sure they get a deal that helps them in the long run. So the fact that Nintendo has most of power in decision making is not true, it’s more of a 50/50 relationship. Nintendo comes to Square with a list of contenders, and in the end they settle on a character that is the most profitable for both companies.

As for the question, you asked which one would I say Square would choose. It’s option D. None of the Above. Square would most likely respond by calculating the probability of which character would produce the most revenue. They would then compare if this scenario fits with the DQ character, if it does not then I believe they would then suggest the character that would generate the most revenue and proceed from there. You see it’s a game of probability, you are trying to predict the future by using mathematics. This is what I see Square doing, using the character with the highest probability for income success. Now let’s plug this in with Erdrick, can we say Erdrick has the highest probability for income? Well let’s assess the situation, he is not globally popular, however he has the possibility to create a higher fandom of DQ in the West. So it all comes down to a gamble, Erdrick may increase popularity of the DQ series in the West by a significant margin or he may not. This boils down to whether Square is willing to risk it, if Erdrick does not generate high interest in the west then they only get short term income. If Erdrick does generate high interest in the West then they get a lot more people interested in DQ in the west and get long term income. Again like I said, it’s a gray area because in a sense it’s a gamble. Were they to choose a safe character like Sora or Neku, there chances of getting both short term and long term are much higher.

Now how does Nintendo play into all of this, keep in mind Nintendo wants to have Square as a partner in this, but they also want to create revenue. So they most likely will hear out the first couple of Square recommendations. It’s true they most likely came with characters they had in mind to begin with, but after some bartering the two companies will settle on a character. Sora and Neku in my opinion have the highest probability to create revenue for all parties involved. It’s not as much of a gamble, as they are safe picks because they are globally popular. And with Disney becoming closer to Nintendo and giving more free range to Square with Sora it is possible.

Finally I’m in no means saying 100% not Erdrick. Only that Square would not be doing their normal safe patterns if they chose him to represent them. This would be a more daring move on Square’s part. I apologize if my reasoning is confusing, and I thank you for giving such an excellent rebuttal to my previous statement. I definitely look forward to how you will respond to my points, and look forward to areas I might have missed.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about business to really argue your points. I was under the impression that Nintendo approached SE with a specific request already set and would just move on from them if they couldn't get what they wanted. If Nintendo did in fact ask for DQ, then I can't really see a good reason SE would be opposed to it. I mean, it could really only help the series' exposure in the west. However, if Nintendo was intent on just including an SE character in general, then I suppose the scenario you wrote would probably occur.

I believe that Nintendo would specifically ask SE for DQ if they were looking to include one of their franchises for DLC, and since SE would probably see it as a great way to promote the franchise in the west, I can't see them deciding against it if the opportunity presented itself. But as I said before, I don't know much about business, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Regardless, I have my fingers crossed for Erdrick.

Last edited:

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wouldnt mind if we got Erdrick. I don't really have any attachments to any of the SE characters, but I am a fan of Akira Toriyama's work. I have been thinking of getting into Dragon Quest, but never been the biggest RPG fan. I literally just beat Earthbound for the first time last month and I am over 30, lol.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Nintendo knows the DLC will sell regardless, this is what the season pass exists at all.
I don't think the main goal here for the DLC was prioritizing DLC sales, but instead strengthening relations with third parties.
Keep in mind, Sakurai said that Richter/Simon were popular on the ballot, and they aren't DLC.

That's just my personal opinion, and I think that stands regardless of which SE rep we get.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I honestly wouldnt mind if we got Erdrick. I don't really have any attachments to any of the SE characters, but I am a fan of Akira Toriyama's work. I have been thinking of getting into Dragon Quest, but never been the biggest RPG fan. I literally just beat Earthbound for the first time last month and I am over 30, lol.
I'd say if you want to get into the series while avoiding the RPG aspect check out Dragon Quest Builders if your into Minecraft type games or Rocket Slime Adventures on the DS a really fun cult classic ds game that's worth a look and if your into Dynasty Warriors you can check out Dragon Quest Heros 1-2 but i'd say please check out Dragon Quest V i think it's the best one the series in my opinion

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about business to really argue your points. I was under the impression that Nintendo approached SE with a specific request already set and would just move on from them if they couldn't get what they wanted. If Nintendo did in fact ask for DQ, then I can't really see a good reason SE would be opposed to it. I mean, it could really only help the series' exposure in the west. However, if Nintendo was intent on just including an SE character in general, then I suppose the scenario you wrote would probably occur.

I believe that Nintendo would specifically ask SE for DQ if they were looking to include one of their franchises for DLC, and since SE would probably see it as a great way to promote the franchise in the west, I can't see them deciding against it if the opportunity presented itself. But as I said before, I don't know much about business, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Regardless, I have my fingers crossed for Erdrick.
Business is most of the time about a back & forth. I mean, it does happen more directly when someone knows exactly what they want, but then you'd still get the negotiation phase. In cases likes this both companies have power and something the other wants. Nintendo might've had decent flexibility on the SE character so long as they can make some money on it. If it'd be more for promotion then Nintendo might try to use that fact for negotiation on giving less of the profit to the company. In DQ's case tho, it's so strong in japan that I could easily see it being a normal split, whatever that is.

Whether it was more a request from nintendo that SE agreed with or more from SE, we can't really know that for now without someone over there talking about what happened. There was an interview with sakurai where he talked about Cloud, that might give a bit of insight on some things. SE let sakurai have a lot of the say on things, but obviously they still have demands and things they're reserved about, like music.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Nintendo knows the DLC will sell regardless, this is what the season pass exists at all.
I don't think the main goal here for the DLC was prioritizing DLC sales, but instead strengthening relations with third parties.
Keep in mind, Sakurai said that Richter/Simon were popular on the ballot, and they aren't DLC.

That's just my personal opinion, and I think that stands regardless of which SE rep we get.
It honestly plays largely in Erdrick's favor while simultaneously playing in the favor of possible future SE reps. Viewing this from a relation perspective, Nintendo and SE have had the rockiest relationship between company and third party. That being said, we could apply this to most any SE rep except possibly Sora, given he's more Disney than anything, and Sephiroth, who already has rep in this game via FFVII and Cloud.

Erdrick/Slime/Luminary: DQ got its start on the NES, and it is the grandfather of all JRPGs. DQ is getting an exclusive DQXI port with enhanced features, story lines, and quests. It's definitely showing itself already as a pillar of how Nintendo and Square have mended relations. For this current time period, Erdrick and his fellow reps here make a lot of sense.

Crono: Chrono Trigger is one of the most beloved retro JRPGs, more than likely, and it also got its start with Nintendo on the SNES. It was one of the last big Nintendo and Square collaborations (with CT being SNES-exclusive) before they made that split. Crono is a mark of how they'd be revisiting those old days when they weren't at each other's throats.

Finally, Geno: The most collaborative effort Nintendo and Square had before they split was easily SMRPG. It's Mario, Nintendo's most beloved flagship franchise, and Square's JRPG influence and creativity meeting together into a one-in-a-million effort. The uniqueness of their bond in olden days is shown through here, and Geno being the biggest name most people think of when thinking of SMRPG represents that.

Of all of these, Erdrick has the most in his favor in terms of third-party strengthening with Nintendo, with Geno coming second and Crono coming last. If this is their aim with DLC, I'd expect Erdrick, and if not a DQ rep, then Geno afterward. If Nintendo wants to go with multiple Square reps (with more than one outside of Fighter's Pass, as I doubt they'd double dip), Erdrick in Fighter's Pass makes the most sense with Geno fitting outside of it, given he'd honestly just need to come with music. The Mario series has a lot of rep and stages, even an RPG-based stage (the Paper Mario one), so Geno honestly doesn't have much footing for Fighter's Pass. Erdrick easily is the best fit. If and only if they added more than one Square rep outside of the pass (as, say, misc. DLC or even a fighter-only season with no stages included), it'd give Geno a large second wind. However, for now, it's looking like Erdrick and DQ is what we're getting. I'm still expecting him, given Tansut has a flawless track record so far and the amount of evidence pointing his way.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
I'd say if you want to get into the series while avoiding the RPG aspect check out Dragon Quest Builders if your into Minecraft type games or Rocket Slime Adventures on the DS a really fun cult classic ds game that's worth a look and if your into Dynasty Warriors you can check out Dragon Quest Heros 1-2 but i'd say please check out Dragon Quest V i think it's the best one the series in my opinion
I heard about it before the Direct and it acually looks super fun, so getting it for sure on my switch!

Untouch

Smash Master
A while back I thought we were getting 2 characters at E3, Erdrick and a western character (to balance the reveals). "brave" being in development made me think otherwise, but I'm reconsidering.
There's a near 100% chance we're getting a reveal at E3.
But if we get Brave late April, that's less than 2 months until E3, feels like not enough time, especially since itd be the gameplay reveal of both Brave and Joker.

So I'm thinking it'll be Erdrick and Doomguy, one is very Western and one is very Eastern, would make a nice contrast.

Top Bottom