• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
To clarify Square Enix is hard to negotiate with, we’ve seen this with multiple partnerships. In their team up with Ubisoft, they hardly gave anything and gave no music. In their team up with Capcom they gave three pieces of music and some characters and costumes. In their team up with Bandai Namco they gave two pieces of music for Tekken7 and one piece of music for Soul Calibur 6, plus characters and stage. Finally in their team up with Nintendo they gave 2 pieces of music, a character, a stage, and some Mii costumes.

So to summarize Square will lend out their properties, but when it helps them the most and they will give little.

As for what Square most likely chose for their 2nd Square rep and what comes with it. It most likely will be like all their other business partnership deals.

1. It will be a character that can cross promote

2. It will come with 2-3 songs, remixes of original songs are allowed.

3. It will be a popular character, most likely a globally popular character

4. It will be the character that can make the most long term and short term income.

5. The character being in the game will help strengthen relations between Square and the other company/companies involved.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
To clarify Square Enix is hard to negotiate with, we’ve seen this with multiple partnerships. In their team up with Ubisoft, they hardly gave anything and gave no music. In their team up with Capcom they gave three pieces of music and some characters and costumes. In their team up with Bandai Namco they gave two pieces of music for Tekken7 and one piece of music for Soul Calibur 6, plus characters and stage. Finally in their team up with Nintendo they gave 2 pieces of music, a character, a stage, and some Mii costumes.

So to summarize Square will lend out their properties, but when it helps them the most and they will give little.

As for what Square most likely chose for their 2nd Square rep and what comes with it. It most likely will be like all their other business partnership deals.

4. It will be the character that can make the most long term and short term income.

5. The character being in the game will help strengthen relations between Square and the other company/companies involved.
This is exactly why Sephiroth, Erdrick and Sora make the most sense to me. They're the only ones that fit all points nicely.

D

Deleted member

Let's be honest, before Tansut even spoke up, the only other source suggesting DQ was LeakyPanda. Before that point, Verge was the one who even so much as mentioned Erdrick.
When you lay it out like this, this makes Dragon Quest even more likely than not. Given how Tansut so far has guessed Cloud and denied the Grinch leak, he seems fairly reliable on his side of the map. Not sure about LeakyPanda, but I think the leaker bandwagon for DQ is virtually impressive given how these are people who are wanting to look credible.
You know, Erdrick is tied for my most wanted SE rep right now. Especially if Luminary is an alt. But I agree with Fisher that it's too much of an open secret. Cloud was hinted at like the day before the announcement. Now Erdrick is known by everyone for like 5 months in advance? Square isn't immune to leaks, but this one is just such a bad one that it almost seems ridiculous. Plus, unlike Incineroar, no insider has actually seen anything. They've just heard it. And now they've lost a lot of credibility after the direct. I still hope it's Erdrick since I know Geno has no chance, but I'm starting to really doubt it.
Given how everyone has their eye on Square now compared to Smash 4 when we never expected them to put Cloud in, there's more cause to mess up because now more insiders are looking into them.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
For reference, I still think Erdrick has very high odds, with Tansut backing him and the 5chan leak that got Granblue Fighting and Persona stuff right (the one that only leaked erdrick and joker) also including him. We were still considering him one of the most likely before Verge was ever sure of him. We just need to be careful from now on.

For reference, I still don't know who it is myself.
While I am still skeptical on Erdrick overall (which shouldn't be shocking at this point), I do still think he's got a... somewhat realistic chance of getting in.

Tansut backing him is something to take into account.

I'm not really taking the 5chan leak too seriously... yet:
-Granblue VS was rumored prior to it
-We don't know all the details regarding the other Persona games (P5R), which we will know by next month.
-Plus there's also the claim of Mementos as the stage, which we'll also find out within the next 2 months.

(I think that is the leak you're referring to. If not, then could someone please correct me?)

As of right now. I'm around 50/50 on his chances. He's the mostly likely candidate, but I definitely don't see him anywhere near a lock.

D

Deleted member

Delete.
Didn’t meant to post this here.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
This is exactly why Sephiroth, Erdrick and Sora make the most sense to me. They're the only ones that fit all points nicely.
If I had to bet the ones that make the most sense based on previous Square patterns, are the following.

Neku
Sora

And to an extent Sephiroth and Erdrick.

Here’s why I say that, so far all cross promoted characters from Square are all globally popular. That’s a strike against Erdrick and all DQ characters.

Also Square does not cross promote a character from the same franchise in the same game. For example we do not see Noctis and Lightining in Tekken 7. Or 2B and A2 in Soul Calibur 6.

Now this could be because Smash will be the first fighting game not from Square themselves that will feature 2 Square characters. So it is possible that they will do two characters from the same franchise. The part of them not choosing a globally popular character like Erdrick is a very gray area. We have not seen Square do this before, they are usually cautious with their cross promoted picks and they are always globally popular. So it’s had to say if they are willing to take a gamble and push for Erdrick or stay safe like they always have and choose a globally popular character.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

3u29d2ufesy01 (1).jpg

So you're saying there's a chance.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I’d be inclined to agree if not for Midgar representing the FF series so well I feel like it would be super weird to have another FF stage.
Eh, Midgar is certainly nice, but it's still a Battlefield clone with a gimmick. Like MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28 pointed out, there are so many other different locales. Nibelheim, Reactor Core and Planet's Core just to name a few.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
View attachment 192665

Yes definitely a huge chance lol. I think the secret ending of KH3 definitely shows Disney is willing to give Square more of a free reign over KH characters and not confining them to strictly Disney related media. I will admit the amount of how much Sora has a chance, depends entirely on whether Square, Nintendo and Disney are willing and able to work together. While Sora has the highest chance of making all parties the most money in terms of his inclusion in Smash. It depends if they are all willing to share profits.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Neku
Sora
now i may be mr ever-so-slightly-biased, but i'd also give a Bravely rep the same chances as Neku with Octopath's success and Bravely Third - in both cases promoting exclusives (Bravely, TWEWY [if nomura ever touches it again]).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think saying Erdrick has world wide appeal is really stretching it. Sephiorth and Sora yes. Erdrick? It's already been talked about how he is a literal who is the west. Slime would have world wide appeal.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
View attachment 192665

I loved your meme. XD
I wish there was one of this kind that featured some of the people in this thread. Some lighthearted fun ones

I think saying Erdrick has world wide appeal is really stretching it. Sephiorth and Sora yes. Erdrick? It's already been talked about how he is a literal who is the west. Slime would have world wide appeal.
Friendly reminder that the West isn't just 'Murica. Europe already had a cult following for DQ and Erdrick for a while now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also Square does not cross promote a character from the same franchise in the same game. For example we do not see Noctis and Lightining in Tekken 7. Or 2B and A2 in Soul Calibur 6.
I remember an interview about the development of Dissidia, Laguna was supposed to appear in Birth By Sleep but got scrapped due to his appearance in Dissidia Duodecim:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/943347-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep/57544276
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/21/nomura_takahashi_dissidia/ (Cannot access to this one, remember reading it here :b)
SE does not make much sense regarding representation in crossovers.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yes definitely a huge chance lol. I think the secret ending of KH3 definitely shows Disney is willing to give Square more of a free reign over KH characters and not confining them to strictly Disney related media. I will admit the amount of how much Sora has a chance, depends entirely on whether Square, Nintendo and Disney are willing and able to work together. While Sora has the highest chance of making all parties the most money in terms of his inclusion in Smash. It depends if they are all willing to share profits.
This makes the Sora fan in me happy

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
now i may be mr ever-so-slightly-biased, but i'd also give a Bravely rep the same chances as Neku with Octopath's success and Bravely Third - in both cases promoting exclusives (Bravely, TWEWY [if nomura ever touches it again]).
It is possible that other Square characters have a shot. However there’s a problem with other characters like Bravely default, Octopath Traveller, Chrono, etc.

They are all not nearly as popular as the characters mentioned, exception Crono.

Bravely default is not as well known compared to, KH franchise, TWEWY franchise, DQ franchise, and FF franchise.

Octopath traveler despite its huge success is very new, and cannot bring long term established franchise fans interest in Smash. Example Cloud in Smash, drew interest from FF fans into Smash.

Crono suffers from lack of being able to cross promote and no recent game.

This is most likely why none of these characters or other characters from these games will be the 2nd Square pick.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Erdick isn't misinformation.

He's very likely from what I heard.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
A lot of people here seem to underestimating Crono and Geno. Doesn't the fact they seem like the outliers compared to the in promotion characters stand out as 'I wonder why they are in the conversation with all these potential shilly picks (FF7, DQ11, KH3) If anything the fact they are in the same conversation for a Nintendo cross over like this kind of makes them seem equally if not more popular of a choice than characters that have lived on Sony majority of their life.

D

Deleted member

I loved your meme. XD
I wish there was one of this kind that featured some of the people in this thread. Some lighthearted fun ones
I'm going to use this if Erdrick doesn't get in and I realized I wasted my time.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I remember an interview about the development of Dissidia, Laguna was supposed to appear in Birth By Sleep but got scrapped due to his appearance in Dissidia Duodecim:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/943347-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep/57544276
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/21/nomura_takahashi_dissidia/ (Cannot access to this one, remember reading it here :b)
SE does not make much sense regarding representation in crossovers.
The thing is this refers to a Square fighting game. Square is always waaaaaaaaay more generous when dealing with themselves or dealing with games they are in charge of even if it includes other parties example KIngdom Hearts and other Square characters.

Example of this is in Dissidia NT Square has no problem in sharing FF music from multiple FF games. Yet when sharing FF music with fighting games they are not in charge of we only get an average of 2 songs.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A lot of people here seem to underestimating Crono and Geno. Doesn't the fact they seem like the outliers compared to the in promotion characters stand out as 'I wonder why they are in the conversation with all these potential shilly picks (FF7, DQ11, KH3) If anything the fact they are in the same conversation for a Nintendo cross over like this kind of makes them seem equally if not more popular of a choice than characters that have lived on Sony majority of their life.
I think the kind of logic that relies on "They're so unlikely, they wrap around to being likely again." almost never, if ever, turns out to be the case.

Weigh the evidence and don't go too much more in depth into deciphering what is happening in the minds of those higher ups.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Is there anything news from Vergeben? Because he seems to be getting alot of hate and such on Gamefaqs because he got stuff wrong about the direct, so hopefully the guy is okay.
Vergeben was seemingly offline all day yesterday. I can confirm he was back today though. He will probably address this soon.
PS. The wrong info did NOT come from all of his smash sources. Remember, he has multiple

D

Deleted member

The thing is this refers to a Square fighting game. Square is always waaaaaaaaay more generous when dealing with themselves or dealing with games they are in charge of even if it includes other parties example KIngdom Hearts and other Square characters.

Example of this is in Dissidia NT Square has no problem in sharing FF music from multiple FF games. Yet when sharing FF music with fighting games they are not in charge of we only get an average of 2 songs.
My point is that they seem to have these weird rules even with themselves, and even if they can use the shared music in their crossover these kind of stuff just makes you wonder why. Some policies like scrapping a character from a crossover game just because he appears in another one (of their own company no less) seems quite silly.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
The problem with both these characters is that they cannot cross promote, and they have not had a game in a long time.

While Square does care about these characters and know of fan demand. They do not prioritize them as much as the characters who can bring more income. The fact that Square always chooses characters that can cross promote, in all of their crossover picks. Is what really hurts the chances of these two characters.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think the kind of logic that relies on "They're so unlikely, they wrap around to being likely again." almost never, if ever, turns out to be the case.

Weigh the evidence and don't go too much more in depth into deciphering what is happening in the minds of those higher ups.
No but the idea of Geno particularly being in the running is for certain someone I look at as likely as Erdrick. Not a single one of these characters seem to really hang onto 'what fans have been wanting' more than Geno. Sora seems to be the only other in demand one but he has to deal with the mouse keeping him back as well as the fact that his demand for Smash Bros does not have the length of time. Nintendo not getting anything from Nomura/KH seems to be his death sentence. And if I am not mistaken, Sora was the one character who was written off as deconfirmed from the list of seven.

I just think a lot of people should probably not be looking to write off Geno's chances. To me, he is at least top 3 in regards to most possible along with Erdrick and Slime being the other two in my top 3. I wouldn't be saying this if nobody cared about Geno's inclusion but that seems to be the most important factor that everyone is overlooking or wants to forget.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Sora was in and Sakurai gave him an echo, who would you want as his echo? For lore sake, Id say Roxas or Ventus
Xion would work best from my perspective.

Hey A.G.L. A.G.L. , do you think Geno would be a good candidate for Square and Nintendo strengthening there bond as companies? He was the character they made together after all.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
PS. The wrong info did NOT come from all of his smash sources. Remember, he has multiple
Ah. So the wrong info came from some of his Smash sources. Wouldn't be surprised if whichever sources fed him Minecraft and the Square info are the duds.

It would certainly explain the contradictions between him and the insiders.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Hey A.G.L. A.G.L. , do you think Geno would be a good candidate for Square and Nintendo strengthening there bond as companies? He was the character they made together after all.
Perhaps 20 years ago, maybe.

They're already close as a bond between companies. A game character that neither of the currently cares for means absolutely nothing now.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Most definitely I have always thought of Geno as a very tragic situation. Tragic in the sense he has a very loyal fan base and they have hung in there for many years. Yet despite this and a rich character history, he sits on a shelf waiting to be used.

If somehow there was a new SMRPG being made I would immediately think Geno would have higher chances than Erdrick. I personally would like to see a Mario and Luigi and SMRPG cross over.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Perhaps 20 years ago, maybe.

They're already close as a bond between companies. A game character that neither of the currently cares for means absolutely nothing now.
Sure Nintendo might be getting all these Square games now, but there is nothing quite like two companies working in equal part on a big project. SMRPG was a result of that collaboration and it was clear that they were going to continue it pre break up. And I think it's safe to sat that both companies care to at least some extent, as Nintendo has been acknowledging SMRPG more as of late and Geno and Mallow being in Smash means that Square at least has to care some bit(Or at the very least, know of there still big popularity). As A.G.L. has pointed out, Square has been quite limited in the content they have given other companies, so Geno and Mallow being there at all is quite a shock.
Most definitely I have always thought of Geno as a very tragic situation. Tragic in the sense he has a very loyal fan base and they have hung in there for many years. Yet despite this and a rich character history, he sits on a shelf waiting to be used.

If somehow there was a new SMRPG being made I would immediately think Geno would have higher chances than Erdrick. I personally would like to see a Mario and Luigi and SMRPG cross over.
It is the wish of every SMRPG fan that Square's continued support will lead to a new collaboration. I think it's fair to say that Square would be open to the idea from both a business and fan reception stand point. I mean, who would not want a slice of that Mario pie?

D

Deleted member

No but the idea of Geno particularly being in the running is for certain someone I look at as likely as Erdrick. Not a single one of these characters seem to really hang onto 'what fans have been wanting' more than Geno. Sora seems to be the only other in demand one but he has to deal with the mouse keeping him back as well as the fact that his demand for Smash Bros does not have the length of time. Nintendo not getting anything from Nomura/KH seems to be his death sentence. And if I am not mistaken, Sora was the one character who was written off as deconfirmed from the list of seven.

I just think a lot of people should probably not be looking to write off Geno's chances. To me, he is at least top 3 in regards to most possible along with Erdrick and Slime being the other two in my top 3. I wouldn't be saying this if nobody cared about Geno's inclusion but that seems to be the most important factor that everyone is overlooking or wants to forget.
Wasnt Geno mentioned as "to not take seriously" by Verge who made the list? If you accept that Verge deconfirmed Sora, accepting only half of his word for your argument seems a bit selective.

NB96

Smash Rookie
I am sure that the amount of music we get for the Square Enix character will be roughly the same as for the other characters. They knew what characters would be DLC when they released the final Smash Direct in early November, I can't imagine they would have specifically said each character will get several music tracks (publicly making that one of the selling points of each character pack along with the stage and character themselves) and then deliver a paltry number of tracks. That would just look really bad on Nintendo for saying this and then blatantly failing to deliver.

If the rep is Erdrick like many leakers suggest, I'm sure we will get a good number of Dragon Quest tracks, even if they end up being MIDI versions rather than the higher quality orchestral stuff as was the case in the Western release of Dragon Quest XI.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I am sure that the amount of music we get for the Square Enix character will be roughly the same as for the other characters. They knew what characters would be DLC when they released the final Smash Direct in early November, I can't imagine they would have specifically said each character will get several music tracks (publicly making that one of the selling points of each character pack along with the stage and character themselves) and then deliver a paltry number of tracks. That would just look really bad on Nintendo for saying this and then blatantly failing to deliver.

If the rep is Erdrick like many leakers suggest, I'm sure we will get a good number of Dragon Quest tracks, even if they end up being MIDI versions rather than the higher quality orchestral stuff as was the case in the Western release of Dragon Quest XI.
I would not count on a high number of songs coming with second SE rep, even if it’s a DQ character.

Square has shown many times to be extremely stingy with sharing music. At the most the average number of songs they share is 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Square-Enix has to pay to get a lot of the FF music. That includes the two songs in Smash. They don't own those whatsoever.

They're stingy, but music isn't generally their fault. At least FF-wise. I don't know if music always held by the composer for every single franchise they own in general, though. But if that's the case, that means that they aren't necessarily stingy, at least in that case, it just means the composer is stingy.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Square-Enix has to pay to get a lot of the FF music. That includes the two songs in Smash. They don't own those whatsoever.

They're stingy, but music isn't generally their fault. At least FF-wise. I don't know if music always held by the composer for every single franchise they own in general, though. But if that's the case, that means that they aren't necessarily stingy, at least in that case, it just means the composer is stingy.
I would have agreed with this statement if it were not for the fact, 2B only came with one song in Soul Calibur 6.

Top Bottom