• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't understand this point. Are you saying that Erdrick ISN'T misinformation? If so, I agree.

It's likely he's just a poorly kept secret, like Simon Belmont or Inkensabelle.
No I meant like. If its him. Why are they making it obvious. When they were trying to make it clear how they want the DLC to be unexpected.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I’m pretty sure if Sora were to make it, his trailer would practically have to have Link and Cloud fighting, it almost has to be that way!

I can’t see it being done in any other way!
I honestly see Sakurai putting him with Duck Hunt. Really. He is that cheeky.

After thinking it through. The only thing truly hurt by the direct was Vergeben's credibility. A lot of people and sources still have heard about Erdrick, Verge was just one of them.

The Direct actually left me hopeful. If not only for a DQ character in Smash, then for the future of DQ on Nintendo as a whole.

Dragon Quest 3 (and 2, and 1) were top sellers in the 3DS VC (in Japan where they were available), especially DQ3 which held its ground in top 5 throughout most of the 3DS lifespan.
It's only a matter of time until they get announced somehow for the Switch, because Japan won't be kept from the Erdrick trilogy on Switch for long. Especially now that the 3DS has gone underground.

And since the Switch is region free, they might as well do something for the west while they're at it. This direct was pure love for DQ. Especially what they've done with XIs. And Nintendo's publishing both Builders 2 and XIs. (Also, Switch version of Builders 1 got some sweet extras). XIs got ORCHESTRA MUSIC. If that doesn't leave an ugly scar on the whole "composer issue", I don't know what does.

The series got its own little segment, for crying out loud. Maybe that's why staff from Square Enix were all retweeting. It doesn't matter if they worked on different games. They're all family. They even help other teams when they're somehow short on staff.

Still.. Might not mean Erdrick in smash necessarily, but this is far from a setback. It only proved that Nintendo cares a lot about Dragon Quest.

And I end this little rant with a quote I loved from the direct.

"There's RPGs, and then there's Dragon Quest". Nintendo is calling the shots for DLC. Color me confident. I'll eat dirt if I'm wrong, but this is a great sign.
The retweets made by the staff referenced in this thread was for the new IP they made just for the Nintendo Switch. They are the ones working on the title.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Another thing I want to point out is. You know if Nintendo wanted us to be super surprised by the DLC and about how unexpected it would be. Why would they be spending all their time trying to make it super obvious who one of the DLC characters is? It would be like wrapping a present in front of the person you are going to give it to and wondering how they knew what you gave them before they open it.
Because if it weren't for the leaks, that can and have always happened, people wouldn't even bat an eye at Erdrick or DQ in general. So when the hypothetical scenario that he was included happened, everyone would have been caught off guard. In case this is the situation, Nintendo has no choice but to keep playing their card like they originally were.

This is all of course hypothetical.

D

Deleted member

Isn't one of your guys main points that Nintendo praising Dragon Quest to high heaven means points for a DQ rep?
Not in my case.
It could just be a coincidence, so I don't consider the promotion that Nintendo is doing for DQXI as a direct confirmation of Erdrick in Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn't one of your guys main points that Nintendo praising Dragon Quest to high heaven means points for a DQ rep?
It doesn't point, it means good things for it. It's not like they are announcing it to casual audiences.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
If Verge never knew anything related to Smash and never tried leaking anything, no one would know about him because he’s pretty consistently had a ****ty track record to the point of being a laughing stock in the FGC iirc. Him getting literally anything non-smash related doesn’t surprise me. If he knew it was Erdrick and it still wasn’t in that direct that is interesting, though.
Another thing about him, the guys jumps from fandom to fandom to try his luck out on his credibility. When he royally messes up during speculation season he BTFO just look at what happened to him during Soul Calibur VI character speculation. I don't know the complete details behind that, but from what I gathered from here, the guy doesn't own up to his mistakes. When he gets called out enough, he will more than likely move on to another fandom game to where he has "sources."

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know, Erdrick is tied for my most wanted SE rep right now. Especially if Luminary is an alt. But I agree with Fisher that it's too much of an open secret. Cloud was hinted at like the day before the announcement. Now Erdrick is known by everyone for like 5 months in advance? Square isn't immune to leaks, but this one is just such a bad one that it almost seems ridiculous. Plus, unlike Incineroar, no insider has actually seen anything. They've just heard it. And now they've lost a lot of credibility after the direct. I still hope it's Erdrick since I know Geno has no chance, but I'm starting to really doubt it.

D

Deleted member

You know, Erdrick is tied for my most wanted SE rep right now. Especially if Luminary is an alt. But I agree with Fisher that it's too much of an open secret. Cloud was hinted at like the day before the announcement. Now Erdrick is known by everyone for like 5 months in advance? Square isn't immune to leaks, but this one is just such a bad one that it almost seems ridiculous. Plus, unlike Incineroar, no insider has actually seen anything. They've just heard it. And now they've lost a lot of credibility after the direct. I still hope it's Erdrick since I know Geno has no chance, but I'm starting to really doubt it.
I would love to get Eight more.
Although I would be fine with him being one of Erdrick's alts like Alph.

And since Erdrick would be DLC, it is possible that Eight gets an Amiibo too similar to how the DLC reps from Smash 4 got two amiibos.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
No I meant like. If its him. Why are they making it obvious. When they were trying to make it clear how they want the DLC to be unexpected.
How are they "making it obvious?"

Most claims about Erdrick come from leakers, which Nintendo has no control over. If you're referring to the Instagram picture, Sakurai frequently posted Xenoblade photos on his social medias before Shulk's reveal so it's not like there's not a precedent for it.
Which I certainly disagree on since relationship with Nintendo can be used with far more than just Dragon Quest which I pointed out from the post you just quoted
A relationship with Nintendo can be used with a lot of different companies.

A relationship dating back to the NES era with Nintendo frequently covering for the series with them promoting it in America and Japan, and giving their characters for crossovers can pretty much only be used for Square Enix and Dragon Quest. That's what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
We've had this discussion before. Stop spreading misinformation.
Dude, chill out. What misinformation? Spin-off or not, Persona had never been expected by fans, same reason a lot of people didn't expect Cloud, despite his series having history with Nintendo, because the properties in question didn't exactly have prior budding relationships with Nintendo. No misinformation given on my part.

Don't even see what's got your goat about it. Dragon Quest is just as likely as everyone else. No more or less. Not like it means it doesn't have a shot.

We've had this discussion before. Stop spreading misinformation.
Dude, chill out. What misinformation? Spin-off or not, Persona had never been expected by fans, same reason a lot of people didn't expect Cloud, despite his series having history with Nintendo, because the properties in question didn't exactly have prior budding relationships with Nintendo. No misinformation given on my part.

Don't even see what's got your goat about it. Dragon Quest is just as likely as everyone else. No more or less. Not like it means it doesn't have a shot.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really think it's going to be Sephiroth. It just makes sense to me. It explains why there is practically no FF content in smash. Not even one winged angel, one of the most iconic songs in the series, dare I say gaming in general. Besides that, I just have a gut feeling it's him. Sure he wouldn't have the same crossover appeal as DQ, but he is one of the most iconic video game villains.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really think it's going to be Sephiroth. It just makes sense to me. It explains why there is practically no FF content in smash. Not even one winged angel, one of the most iconic songs in the series, dare I say gaming in general. Besides that, I just have a gut feeling it's him. Sure he wouldn't have the same crossover appeal as DQ, but he is one of the most iconic video game villains.
We got the same content with Smash 4, and there was no Sephiroth in it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
But that was on a limited dlc budget. Many expected more FF content, like music and spirits, in ultimate since it was on the base roster. But we got nothing. Every other 3rd party got extra stuff.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But that was on a limited dlc budget. Many expected more FF content, like music and spirits, in ultimate since it was on the base roster. But we got nothing. Every other 3rd party got extra stuff.
That probably just means SE is hard to negotiate with.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i wouldn't be unhappy with sephiroth but i feel like hoping for more final fantasy at this point is asking for a miracle

D

Deleted member

Technically, one 3rd party lost something...

Poor :ultsnake: didn't get new codec talks.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
How do you know Geno has no chance? I think every one of the Seven listed has a chance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Technically, one 3rd party lost something...

Poor :ultsnake: didn't get new codec talks.
He didn't lost them, they are still in the game.

EDIT: And if we are being picky, all third parties lost Mii costumes. PAC-MAN lost a stage and Mega Man lost an AT.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He didn't lost them, they are still in the game.
Ok, maybe I jumped the gun a bit.

It is true that he kept the ones found in Brawl.

Aaaand, this post got glitched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Why would we when Cloud already had the DLC spot?
This really is the main thing concerning Verge: The Erdrick bits only started because of him.

Let's be honest, before Tansut even spoke up, the only other source suggesting DQ was LeakyPanda. Before that point, Verge was the one who even so much as mentioned Erdrick. Tansut's not exactly insider-tier at this point Hitagi is a backtracking mess. Xenother hasn't gotten a thing right yet. He even got predictions of a Janurary direct blattantly wrong. And with the current reputable roster of insiders passievely or in Ryce's case, actively contradicting what Verge has said. Let's not forget, originally both this alleged Square rep and Minecraft were supposed to be base content before resorting to DLC.

Funnily enough, out of all his leaks, those two are the only things not reported or supported by insiders. Something might be rotten in Denmark here.

And in regards to DQ11 getting it's big showing, like Osby said in regards to it supposedly being too blatant a hint at DQ in Smash:
It doesn't point, it means good things for it. It's not like they are announcing it to casual audiences.
Just as it's not really something that would spoil a surprise, that just as much means that it's not particularly evidence of DQ getting in Smash. It's plausible that it's just them giving it as an introduction to the Nintendo/Western market as they can. That and it's a Japanese stream translated for us, so no surprise it gets a section. Heck, even the November 2015 Direct had a gigantic section dedicated to it. Did that lead to DQ in Smash? No, we got Cloud Strife instead, despite FFVII not getting some big hurrah and fanfare preceding his appearance.

As said before, it's pretty much still anyone's game from here.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
If Sora was in and Sakurai gave him an echo, who would you want as his echo? For lore sake, Id say Roxas or Ventus
It would have to be Roxas or Xion. Ventus plays too differently from Sora, and is much faster in the way he fights.

I would definitely say Roxas though and in his Ultimate it would be him dual wielding Oblivion and Oathkeeper.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
That probably just means SE is hard to negotiate with.
That's definitely a possibility. And it's the possibility that's probably the most reasonable to assume. But I can totally see square being like "Any additional FF content has to be dlc so we get extra money from it" more than I can see them going "2 songs, no spirits. Get over it."

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

You know what misinformation. Persona is a spinoff to Shin Megami Tensei, which has a strong history with Nintendo consoles. Sure, an SMT character might've made more sense, but the fact remains that Joker represents the strong ties between Nintendo and Shin Megami Tensei similar to how Cloud represents the history between Nintendo and Final Fantasy even if a classical Final Fantasy character might've made more sense. This is backed up by interviews and press releases, so to assert a denial of it is misinformation in of itself.

We've had this debate multiple times and you continue to deny these facts. I don't understand how one can do that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It would have to be Roxas or Xion. Ventus plays too differently from Sora, and is much faster in the way he fights.

I would definitely say Roxas though and in his Ultimate it would be him dual wielding Oblivion and Oathkeeper.
Someone else also did bring up that Ventus would be totally different. They would, as you stated, would have to alter speed and also the way he holds the keyblade. I think I always say Roxas and Ventus because Im not a fan of Xion much if any. If anything, Id pick Roxas and Riku if Ventus wouldnt work

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what misinformation. Persona is a spinoff to Shin Megami Tensei, which has a strong history with Nintendo consoles. Sure, an SMT character might've made more sense, but the fact remains that Joker represents the strong ties between Nintendo and Shin Megami Tensei similar to how Cloud represents the history between Nintendo and Final Fantasy even if a classical Final Fantasy character might've made more sense. This is backed up by interviews and press releases, so to assert a denial of it is misinformation in of itself.

We've had this debate multiple times and you continue to deny these facts. I don't understand how one can do that.
The same kind of applies with a Dragon Quest rep, tbh.

As much as I would love to see Eight getting the spot, Erdrick is just the more logic decission.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
How do you know Geno has no chance? I think every one of the Seven listed has a chance.
I mean, it's still possible. I guess I just see DQ, Sephi, and Sora as the main contenders while Chrono and Geno seem kind of like non entities here. I had more confidence in Geno before E3, but if Joker is the kind of DLC we're getting, then I'm guessing they want crossover appeal. I'd be over the moon if Geno got in, but I just don't see it until fighter pass 2 at least.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You know what misinformation. Persona is a spinoff to Shin Megami Tensei, which has a strong history with Nintendo consoles.
TPC man. You're not listening. I stated why the general consensus of fans weren't expecting Joker or Cloud.

Never said it has anything to do with their actual chances. You're barking up the wrong tree with me again.

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
I’d be inclined to agree if not for Midgar representing the FF series so well I feel like it would be super weird to have another FF stage.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I mean, it's still possible. I guess I just see DQ, Sephi, and Sora as the main contenders while Chrono and Geno seem kind of like non entities here. O had more confidence in Geno before E3, but if Joker is the kind of DLC we're getting, then I'm guessing they want crossover appeal. I'd be over the moon if Geno got in, but I just I see it until fighter pass 2 at least.
I view the contenders exactly the same way you do. :3

I’d be inclined to agree if not for Midgar representing the FF series so well I feel like it would be super weird to have another FF stage.
Also, in terms of stages, there are a number of locales that could work. Other series in Smash have more than one stage. There isn't a rule that prohibits it from happening. Before Simon and Richter, everybody was doubting that we would get an echo for a third party. Before Ken, nobody was betting on a third party getting more than two characters. Catch my drift? They do whatever they feel like it fits their game.
And tbh, there are some great locales that could be great stages for Smash from FFVII outside of Midgar.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why? How can more representation be bad? (please no FE example)

Top Bottom