• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would have agreed with this statement if it were not for the fact, 2B only came with one song in Soul Calibur 6.
And you have proof Square-Enix owns that music and not the composer? Cause it's quite a hard fact that SE very often does not own the music in their games.

Dragon Quest also has that issue, as the music is owned by more than one composer. It's kind of SE's thing, that the composer of the music owns its IP specifically. So not really a good point to bring up against Square-Enix. At the very least, we know they are stingy, it's just not music-related.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Hey, you guys want something really juicy? Star Fox Grand Prix never really existed. It was an industry hoax. That's all I'll say on this subject.
ZenythSmash ZenythSmash can corroborate this.
yup
and keep in mind, regardless what Vergeben rumored recently, this doesn't wreck the rumor speculation for Erdrick. (but it did made some big misconception in the community)

also, its a bit of a shocker that Sugiyama is including his Orchestra music into the switch-exclusive port. Maybe he's softening up or did Nintendo struck a giant deal with him?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
yup
and keep in mind, regardless what Vergeben rumored recently, this doesn't wreck the rumor speculation for Erdrick. (but it did made some big misconception in the community)

also, its a bit of a shocker that Sugiyama is including his Orchestra music into the switch-exclusive port. Maybe he's softening up or did Nintendo struck a giant deal with him?
If the deluxe version is going to be on more than the Switch, then I don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo. If it is Switch exclusive, then maybe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If the deluxe version is going to be on more than the Switch, then I don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo. If it is Switch exclusive, then maybe.
Right now, the DX version is a Switch exclusive. A tweet also noted there is no intention in changing that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The situation with Geno and Mallow is an odd one. In terms of fitting Square's criteria for Smash crossover material, only Geno barely fits the bill, and likely not enough for actual, playable representation, to the point that I even doubt we're getting his Mii costume back. Despite this, his and Mallow's spirits are in the base game, SMRPG references are being added, and SMRPG is even getting referenced outside of Smash again. Square is stingy as can be, yet they're being rather relaxed when it comes to SMRPG and, by proxy, Geno and Mallow, which makes me wonder how their viewpoint is on the situation. Maybe Nintendo struck an overarching deal with them. Maybe they just don't care and will just let Nintendo do what they want with them because Geno and Mallow mean nothing to them.

In a way, it's a double-edged sword. Square's lack of ability to care about these characters means they won't be bothered to use them, but it makes me wonder if they'll be too bothered with Nintendo making a loose agreement on them and running wild as long as they have predetermined profit-sharing and proper credit. Their lack of caring results in lack of use... but it could also result in lack of giving a damn about them, to a point that their stinginess doesn't impact them in quite the same way.

For better or for worse, Geno and Mallow aren't even comparable to most of any of SE's other entities. The closest to them is Sora due to being intertwined with Disney, and he's in a completely different boat legally and financially. This means a lot of Square's patterns are against them, but they could just as easily end up in them getting tossed to Nintendo for them to do whatever. It's so hard to make heads or tails of it right now in terms of what Square thinks of them, when and if they want to use them, and how they'll use them. The same applies with Nintendo, honestly.

It's such a heartbreaking situation. Apart from misc. DLC, Geno's chances as DLC are nothing, and even for individual DLC, his chances are bleak. In terms of SMRPG getting a remake or these two seeing the limelight again outside of tiny nods, I can't even be sure of their likeliness anymore. The only one they share this state of turmoil and neglect with is Crono, and even he has a bit of a chance to come back. That secret project the director (I believe?) of CT that was being spoken of hasn't been seen yet, right? It could be something CT-related.

The fact that everyone else has relevant media to this day sans Crono, who still has a pretty decent shot at making a comeback...

It's rough, man. It's like being the runt of a litter of seven.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if the Geno and Mallow spirits were selected instead of FF spirits, considering how SE are pretty strict with their content.

It could've been decided to add Geno and Mallow as they would've been restricted to 2 spirits for FFVII.

Last edited by a moderator:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
yup

Nintendo may have helped Square-Enix to pay for the royalties that Sugiyama needed to pay for the recording of the songs from NHK orchestra (NHK needs to get royalties from the use of any recording of their orchestra, and it's not cheap).

The situation with Geno and Mallow is an odd one. In terms of fitting Square's criteria for Smash crossover material, only Geno barely fits the bill, and likely not enough for actual, playable representation, to the point that I even doubt we're getting his Mii costume back. Despite this, his and Mallow's spirits are in the base game, SMRPG references are being added, and SMRPG is even getting referenced outside of Smash again. Square is stingy as can be, yet they're being rather relaxed when it comes to SMRPG and, by proxy, Geno and Mallow, which makes me wonder how their viewpoint is on the situation. Maybe Nintendo struck an overarching deal with them. Maybe they just don't care and will just let Nintendo do what they want with them because Geno and Mallow mean nothing to them.

In a way, it's a double-edged sword. Square's lack of ability to care about these characters means they won't be bothered to use them, but it makes me wonder if they'll be too bothered with Nintendo making a loose agreement on them and running wild as long as they have predetermined profit-sharing and proper credit. Their lack of caring results in lack of use... but it could also result in lack of giving a damn about them, to a point that their stinginess doesn't impact them in quite the same way.

For better or for worse, Geno and Mallow aren't even comparable to most of any of SE's other entities. The closest to them is Sora due to being intertwined with Disney, and he's in a completely different boat legally and financially. This means a lot of Square's patterns are against them, but they could just as easily end up in them getting tossed to Nintendo for them to do whatever. It's so hard to make heads or tails of it right now in terms of what Square thinks of them, when and if they want to use them, and how they'll use them. The same applies with Nintendo, honestly.

It's such a heartbreaking situation. Apart from misc. DLC, Geno's chances as DLC are nothing, and even for individual DLC, his chances are bleak. In terms of SMRPG getting a remake or these two seeing the limelight again outside of tiny nods, I can't even be sure of their likeliness anymore. The only one they share this state of turmoil and neglect with is Crono, and even he has a bit of a chance to come back. That secret project the director (I believe?) of CT that was being spoken of hasn't been seen yet, right? It could be something CT-related.

The fact that everyone else has relevant media to this day sans Crono, who still has a pretty decent shot at making a comeback...

That project in question is most likely the new IP that was revealed to be Switch exclusive in the Direct.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think Geno's chances are not that bad. After all, it's not like fanbase popularity is suddenly a non factor.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think Geno's chances are not that bad. After all, it's not like fanbase popularity is suddenly a non factor.
That may be true, but this is Square Enix. Call me a cynic or whatever, but Square? Listening to fan demand? Funny Joke™. Now, if Geno and Mallow belonged solely to Nintendo, I'd be less pessimistic, but as history has told me with Square, they're... really deafened to the hopes and requests of their fans. We don't matter to them; our money does.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
yup

I think a major factor here is that the games without the orchestral music might not have been worth it to Square because they were unsure it'd sell well. Switch ports, specifically of JRPGs have been known to sell decently. Disgaea 5 and Ys 8 are a testament to this. Now how does this apply to DQ XI? Well according to this tweet

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1054961609700007936

DQ XI was the biggest launch month in DQ history. Considering SE is still trying to bring more DQ here I'd say it's a safe bet that it sold well enough to their liking.

So if we know DQ XI and Switch JRPGs tend to sell very well, we can deduce that SE sees thee DQ 11 port as less of a gamble to go all out on.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
That may be true, but this is Square Enix. Call me a cynic or whatever, but Square? Listening to fan demand? Funny Joke™. Now, if Geno and Mallow belonged solely to Nintendo, I'd be less pessimistic, but as history has told me with Square, they're... really deafened to the hopes and requests of their fans. We don't matter to them; our money does.
Remember that it's Nintendo that chooses the characters. S-E is just giving the OK or not.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Remember that it's Nintendo that chooses the characters. S-E is just giving the OK or not.
And Geno and Mallow getting as Spirits before any other Square property says something about Square perspective on them. Geno alone would be one thing, but both? It's certainly interesting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And Geno and Mallow getting as Spirits before any other Square property says something about Square perspective on them. Geno alone would be one thing, but both? It's certainly interesting.
The SNES Mini was also out around during development of Ultimate. So maybe it's something they think is worth "promoting" in a way. If people know who the characters are, or at least what game they're from, one of their IP's being wanted would help a product sell. So it's mutually useful for SE to give that much. The other 3 playable characters are spirits by nature too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The SNES Mini was also out around during development of Ultimate. So maybe it's something they think is worth "promoting" in a way. If people know who the characters are, or at least what game they're from, one of their IP's being wanted would help a product sell. So it's mutually useful for SE to give that much. The other 3 playable characters are spirits by nature too.
Funny, then I guess Square would be getting some cross promotion out of this if that was their motivations. The Geno thread has always had trouble deciding on whether or not to count SMRPG on the SNES Classic as major exposure, considering how it is just one of many games on the device.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Funny, then I guess Square would be getting some cross promotion out of this if that was their motivations. The Geno thread has always had trouble deciding on whether or not to count SMRPG on the SNES Classic as major exposure, considering how it is just one of many games on the device.
It's just a theory. But the thing is, SMRPG is an old game. Square has little to gain from using Geno and Mallow outside of promoting the game in itself. The IP is rarely used beyond re-releases, basically. So if an opportunity comes along to get extra exposure to the IP in some wayyyyyy, why not take it?

I mean, there could be another reason too. It's just a possibility.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's just a theory. But the thing is, SMRPG is an old game. Square has little to gain from using Geno and Mallow outside of promoting the game in itself. The IP is rarely used beyond re-releases, basically. So if an opportunity comes along to get extra exposure to the IP in some wayyyyyy, why not take it?

I mean, there could be another reason too. It's just a possibility.
Revive intrest maybe? The more people know this game despite its age, the more profit you could get out of a possible sequel. Not that it's much needed, as it would be a friggin Mario game. Nintendo and Square are getting close enough to that point again, so it's worth considering.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Vergeben was seemingly offline all day yesterday. I can confirm he was back today though. He will probably address this soon.
PS. The wrong info did NOT come from all of his smash sources. Remember, he has multiple
I feel kinda bad for him. I have my own view on leakers and such, but I don't think that many people understand that most are only the middle man and not acually a main source. Still don't understand why he keeps going to gamefaqs with all the hate he gets there. There and 4chan seems like the worst place to go when talking about leaks.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I really, really don't think the situation present with Cloud is Square being stingy. It's more so that the property owners of the art and music of the early Final Fantasy games are all owned by their individual creators. Which is probably a good reason a lot of things don't show up in Smash. Not because Square is stingy but just because there's just way too many hoops to jump through.

You can't say the same about the Dragon Quest Franchise because even the Composer owns a piece of Dragon Quest so if anything Dragon Quest happens in Smash it's got to go through the composer anyways. Meaning if you get Dragon Quest content you got Dragon Quest compositions. Same with art and all that.

So, the problem with Cloud isn't Square. It's Final Fantasy VII.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I feel kinda bad for him. I have my own view on leakers and such, but I don't think that many people understand that most are only the middle man and not acually a main source. Still don't understand why he keeps going to gamefaqs with all the hate he gets there. There and 4chan seems like the worst place to go when talking about leaks.
honestly he should just come here he wouldn't get those awful comments like the one's i've seen but then he can't be saying the stuff i've seen him say

For reference, I still think Erdrick has very high odds, with Tansut backing him and the 5chan leak that got Granblue Fighting and Persona stuff right (the one that only leaked erdrick and joker) also including him. We were still considering him one of the most likely before Verge was ever sure of him. We just need to be careful from now on.

For reference, I still don't know who it is myself.
Hitagi had been talking about the Granblue fighting game long before the 5chan leak. I wish people would stop throwing this around as a defense of the 5chan leak. All the leaker had to do was search around the web a bit to get that info

D

Deleted member

Vergeben was seemingly offline all day yesterday. I can confirm he was back today though. He will probably address this soon.
PS. The wrong info did NOT come from all of his smash sources. Remember, he has multiple
I’m starting to not trust him anymore he’s got a lot wrong in the past and pretty much dosent know dlc ex joker. and he uses autism as an assault I mean cmon? Rly?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
4. It will be the character that can make the most long term and short term income.
Yes definitely a huge chance lol. I think the secret ending of KH3 definitely shows Disney is willing to give Square more of a free reign over KH characters and not confining them to strictly Disney related media. I will admit the amount of how much Sora has a chance, depends entirely on whether Square, Nintendo and Disney are willing and able to work together. While Sora has the highest chance of making all parties the most money in terms of his inclusion in Smash. It depends if they are all willing to share profits.
I mean... considering Nintendo having exclusive rights 2 MUA 3 where the big selling point is Captain Marvel who just so happens to have a movie next month??? And that toy game they show after... I'm not saying that Sora is going to happen (nor is he someone I personally want) but I would argue that those two things show that maybe Disney and Nintendo are more buddies with each other then we thought no matter if Sora is in the current 5 characters or not.

I’m starting to not trust him anymore he’s got a lot wrong in the past and pretty much dosent know dlc ex joker. and he uses autism as an assault I mean cmon? Rly?
As someone with autism, I'm mentally facepalming that I once did defend him once...

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Wait he used austim as an assault? what are you talking about?

D

Deleted member

Verge normally uses autism as an insult to the fanbase when people get obnoxious. There's a reason why most people think he is a ****.
Yeah. Not even people who support Vergeben actually like him as a person.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm pretty cynical about SE too but I think in the situation we are provided with their stinginess plays a bit into Geno's favor. Not to the point where I feel like anyone (besides Sora) is really taken out of the picture by legal issues. The Dragon Quest 11 orchestra bit really changes the game for Dragon Quest licensing red flags we were discussing earlier.

But I think Geno is still in a better position than most. He actually has presence in the game at the moment so negotiations for him is already complete.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verge normally uses autism as an insult to the fanbase when people get obnoxious. There's a reason why most people think he is a ****.
Which sucks, cause he doesn't need to use something like that. The people were acting like extreme assholes to him. He's gotten overly harassed many many times. Which is awful. The word was bad to use, no doubt, but it does show how frustrated people can get when they're constantly harassed as well. There's no excuse for the word he used, but he's damn well justified in being pissed off as people treating him like ****.

Unfortunately, nobody will let him live it down, so he won't even stop trying to use it or even attempt to redeem himself over that. He does a lot of this wrong, as noted before, as he doesn't make an attempt to fix his issues and just finds another fanbase to speak to. This'll bite him in the ass more and more until he gives up as a leaker or just admits he has issues. But let's not pretend a lot of people who treat him like **** aren't issues too. It's severely toxic, and that kind of attitude is seen everywhere(even sometimes on SB. Which is really sad. I'm not going to attempt to point out where it's shown, just that it happens). But the point is the extremely toxicity that every Smash community has can create a lot of unnecessary drama. I mean, yeah, he got stuff wrong. He's not credible when that happens. So... let it go? No reason to insult the guy as is.

D

Deleted member

Namco doesn't even like Nintendo lol. Idk how they even got them to work on smash. Look at all the games Namco expects us to port beg for

Top Bottom