• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hector's gotcha covered.

Really, though, I don't mind sword users as long as they bring something unique to the table and maybe not only use their sword. Lyn can use bows for instance, and she's known for being lightning fast to a point of zipping across the screens.

Otherwise, the only thing making Erdrick even likable is his legacy, which really shouldn't be the only thing holding his ground.

E: Also an FE side character would be cool. Not a generic unit you dump on the army's bench sidelines, but someone more pivotal to the plot, like our boy Hector.
There's some red-haired axe users I'd challenge you with

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Feels like Edelgard was murdered after they detailed the MC of Three Houses. She's not impossible, but I doubt she's getting in if they keep the player character trend. I'm unsure where Edelgard popped up when it came to Smash speculation.
It's likely because she is always the most prominent of the three house leaders in both trailers so far.

D

Deleted member

There's some red-haired axe users I'd challenge you with

mmmmmmmm I really should play Path of Radiance. However, Titania's personality didn't stick out to me from the playthrough I read. She definitely felt like the noble knight and motherly type, which isn't exactly gold when it comes to FE representation. She does have a horse, though, which would be interesting.

I've discussed it in the FE General Support thread, but I think the two things people now want from an FE character is personality and a unique weapon set. Titania fulfills one of those. Hector fits both.

It's likely because she is always the most prominent of the three house leaders in both trailers so far.
Reasonable enough with what we were given of Three Houses back at E3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
mmmmmmmm I really should play Path of Radiance. However, Titania's personality didn't stick out to me from the playthrough I read. She definitely felt like the noble knight and motherly type, which isn't exactly gold when it comes to FE representation. She does have a horse, though, which would be interesting.

I've discussed it in the FE General Support thread, but I think the two things people now want from an FE character is personality and a unique weapon set. Titania fulfills one of those. Hector fits both.

Reasonable enough with what we were given of Three Houses back at E3.
There's also anna, and some other red heads :p

D

Deleted member

There's also anna, and some other red heads :p

I forgot about Anna. Okay, she works for me even if I don't play FE Heroes. (Anna is a series staple. Of course she should be considered.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I forgot about Anna. Okay, she works for me even if I don't play FE Heroes. (Anna is a series staple. Of course she should be considered.)
For promotion purposes Edelgard might still work better. And since the game is coming out around summer i think, i could see it happening for maybe the 3rd or 4th dlc character. But if they want to do something different and surprising this time around for dlc character then i guess they wouldnt pick FE at all. Im sure there's tons of people who wouldnt mind if it's not a sword user. I wonder what the protag/teacher characters can equip tho.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Feels like Edelgard was murdered after they detailed the MC of Three Houses. She's not impossible, but I doubt she's getting in if they keep the player character trend. I'm unsure where Edelgard popped up when it came to Smash speculation.
I hope you are wrong that her chances were murdered because it will annoy the crap out of me as a Fire Emblem fanatic if we are getting yet another vanilla sword user when the series has so much more to offer -_- (would FE3H get a DLC spot that is). Corrin is at least somewhat unique...

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But yeah, seriously though, people trying to misconstrue this into some plight against all sword using candidates are in for disappointment
I personally have no problem with sword wielders as long as the character does something unique and interesting, which in the end is what I want with any character.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Challenge of his creativity… let's just say he has to leave FE alone, lol. Literally Sora, Sephiroth and Crono could be pretty unique as they are, in comparison.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much he only says that is difficult for the swordsmen(and brawlers) to stand out, not that he is going to stop adding them :b

Only real issue is the amount of characters based on Marth and Link, Im sure any new swordsman will be unique enough considering the amount of styles and variety of swords that exist.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
>Sakaguchi planning
I mean, there was a reason KH was very solid with the first one, in terms of design and story. Sure, gameplay was more stiff, but the first one was more detailed, with a coherent plot and excellent narrative. No overexplanation of anything, just showing what was necessary and leaving the mysteries of that universe for the player to imagine. I miss those days...
A pity KH lost a ton of the original development team. S-E has shown how they are a shadow of their former selves, desperately trying to revive what made them so special.

Btw, in case someone sees this:
https://nintendoeverything.com/rumo...d-and-buried-game-kingdom-hearts-switch-talk/

I wouldn't believe it completely. The KHIII part seems to be BS to me. As someone who is studying RTG and related stuff, it's hard to believe that KHIII wouldn't be able to run on the Switch. DQXI is the living proof of that. Same engine, arguably more demanding, yet still running in full force. Yes, it's slightly downgraded, but the experience is hardly lowered bc of it. I think it will be the same case for FFVII Remake and KHIII
Kh3 doesnt run 100% on a ps4 pro. Its hard to believe it would run on a switch.
Im sure they could get a "watered down" version of kh3 to work,but the same exact game would be unlikely.
And isnt DQXI turnbased? If the game mechanics are anything like Dq8, then its not surprising that Dqxi would run on a switch.

My point here is both games do look great and may run on the same engine, but kh3 demands a lot more from it that DQXI does. Unfortunately, Nintendo's decision to not keep up with sony and microsoft console's sheer power is one of the main factors they lose out on a lot of third party games.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Am I the only one that wants to see a staff or spear user? And by staff and spear I don’t mean like Bandana Dee that relies more on thrusts, I mean like a real spear user.

Personally if a staff user like Kilik and someone who uses a spear like martial artists do get into Smash I would be excited.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Kh3 doesnt run 100% on a ps4 pro. Its hard to believe it would run on a switch.
Im sure they could get a "watered down" version of kh3 to work,but the same exact game would be unlikely.
And isnt DQXI turnbased? If the game mechanics are anything like Dq8, then its not surprising that Dqxi would run on a switch.

My point here is both games do look great and may run on the same engine, but kh3 demands a lot more from it that DQXI does. Unfortunately, Nintendo's decision to not keep up with sony and microsoft console's sheer power is one of the main factors they lose out on a lot of third party games.
Uhh, not exactly. The ammount of particle effects in a period of time would increase bc of the battle system, but the rendering for both games is different. DQXI renders objects at farther distances with better detail than KHIII. Also recall that the KHIII team has earned enough experience with the engine to know how to work around limitations and such. Also, be more specific. What does "run 100%" mean? In technical terms.
And obviously the Switch would get a downgraded version. I'm saying that a version with less demanding features would run on the console.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that wants to see a staff or spear user? And by staff and spear I don’t mean like Bandana Dee that relies more on thrusts, I mean like a real spear user.

Personally if a staff user like Kilik and someone who uses a spear like martial artists do get into Smash I would be excited.
I would love that too

D

Deleted member

Apparently Imran mentioned that there’s a possibility some Kingdom Hearts games are coming to the Switch. Interesting, but probably doesn’t mean too much.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I would love that too
I don’t know if anyone here has played any Warrior games. However there’s a character Zhao Yun that fights with spear style that I would like to see. He uses the shaft of the spear, plus the back of the spear and also uses thrusts. That’s the type of spear user I would like to see one that uses the spear to the utmost potential, but that’s probably just a pipe dream ha. Maybe one day they will make a fire emblem character that fights like that.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don’t know if anyone here has played any Warrior games. However there’s a character Zhao Yun that fights with spear style that I would like to see. He uses the shaft of the spear, plus the back of the spear and also uses thrusts. That’s the type of spear user I would like to see one that uses the spear to the utmost potential, but that’s probably just a pipe dream ha. Maybe one day they will make a fire emblem character that fights like that.
Well there is spear users in the game that they could have a fight like that (Ephraim or Azura is two example)

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Apparently Imran mentioned that there’s a possibility some Kingdom Hearts games are coming to the Switch. Interesting, but probably doesn’t mean too much.
I actually would be really surprised if at least KH1 and KH2 don’t come to the Switch. Especially because Disney, Square, and Nintendo all seem to be on good relations at the moment. We’ve seen this with Disney allowing MUA3 to be a Nintendo exclusive. And of course the recent partnerships with Square and Nintendo such as Octopath Traveller. So in reality there’s nothing holding back the KH series from coming to the Switch. Personally I don’t think it’s a matter of if, but when. I would go so far as to say I think in some way even KH3 will find it’s way on the Switch, even if it’s a visual downgrade. As it makes sense considering that KH3 released towards the end of the Xbox one and PS4 console life, and talks are already saying we will see a next gen console sometime this year. So I would t be surprised if Disney and Square try to find a way to get KH3 on the Switch as it’s barely began it’s console life.

Well there is spear users in the game that they could have a fight like that (Ephraim or Azura is two example)
Hmm interesting I’ll have to check them out.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Uhh, not exactly. The ammount of particle effects in a period of time would increase bc of the battle system, but the rendering for both games is different. DQXI renders objects at farther distances with better detail than KHIII. Also recall that the KHIII team has earned enough experience with the engine to know how to work around limitations and such. Also, be more specific. What does "run 100%" mean? In technical terms.
And obviously the Switch would get a downgraded version. I'm saying that a version with less demanding features would run on the console.
Kh3 still runs into countless frame rate drops running on a PS4 Pro. ( I havent played it on an Xbox one X yet tho.)

Im not saying the game wont run on a switch at all, but the switch suffers from a hardware limitation.

The worlds in Kh3 are much bigger in size than previous titles. The amount of assets and textures being rendered at once have significantly increased. I would assume that Kh3 probably has a staggering number of animations involved among those assets when compared to DQXI. All of this going on at once is taxing on any game console.

Hey they could decrease the resolution and reduce the amount and quality of assets being used but that may end up changing the overall feel of the game. Especially from an artistic perspective when you have a goal of matching up to some of the source material.(Disney Properties)

Has DQXI even been released for the switch yet? If its not, its too soon to tell what adjustments they had to make to the game for it to run comfortably on a switch.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Kh3 still runs into countless frame rate drops running on a PS4 Pro. ( I havent played it on an Xbox one X yet tho.)
Im not saying the game wont run on a switch at all, but the switch suffers from a hardware limitation. The worlds in Kh3 are much bigger in size than previous titles. The amount of assets and textures being rendered at once have significantly increased. I would assume that Kh3 probably has a staggering number of animations involved among those assets when compared to DQXI. All of this going on at once is taxing on any game console.

Hey they could decrease the resolution and reduce the amount and quality of assets being used but that may end up changing the overall feel of the game.

Has DQXI even been released for the switch yet? If its not, its too soon to tell what adjustments they had to make to the game for it to run comfortably on a switch.
DQ11 is releasing in the fall. That it's taking that long might have to do with how many changes are needed to fit the console. Or it could be all the stuff they're adding too.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I actually would be really surprised if at least KH1 and KH2 don’t come to the Switch. Especially because Disney, Square, and Nintendo all seem to be on good relations at the moment. We’ve seen this with Disney allowing MUA3 to be a Nintendo exclusive. And of course the recent partnerships with Square and Nintendo such as Octopath Traveller. So in reality there nothing holding back the KH series from coming to the Switch. Personally I don’t think it’s a matter of if, but when. I would go so far as to say I think in some way even KH3 will find it’s way on the Switch, even if it’s a visual downgrade. As it makes sense considering that KH3 released towards the end of the Xbox one and PS4 console life, and talks are already saying we will see a next gen console sometime this year. So I would t be surprised if Disney and Square try to find a way to get KH3 in the Switch as it’s barely began it’s console life.

Hmm, interesting I’ll have to check them out.
Here's the two. Yeah, Disney seems to have a great relation ship with Nintendo right now..

Attachments

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Zhao Yun is my number 7 want, so you're at least not the only one. Koei Tecmo should absolutely get a character given they already have an assist trophy, though it'll probably be Ryu Hayabusa... unless they get 2 characters?

As for Axes, Hector should absolutely be an echo fighter for Ike already, you don't need to make him a fighter pass character that way, and it would make a brilliant trailer to have FE characters exclaiming about how a lance user (Lu Bu) defeated an axe user (Hector) before the newcomer (Zhao Yun) swoops in to save the day (and yes, Lu Bu should absolutely be a boss, of course he should)

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Zhao Yun is my number 7 want, so you're at least not the only one. Koei Tecmo should absolutely get a character given they already have an assist trophy, though it'll probably be Ryu Hayabusa... unless they get 2 characters?

As for Axes, Hector should absolutely be an echo fighter for Ike already, you don't need to make him a fighter pass character that way, and it would make a brilliant trailer to have FE characters exclaiming about how a lance user (Lu Bu) defeated an axe user (Hector) before the newcomer (Zhao Yun) swoops in to save the day (and yes, Lu Bu should absolutely be a boss, of course he should)
I would love to see Zhao Yun, but he’s based on the Romance of the Three Kingdom novels, which is based on historical events. So even if his character in the Warriors games is dramatized he’s still a real person. So it’s very unlikely that Nintendo would ever allow him to be in Smash, even if he’s Koei’s poster boy. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden on the other hand has a huge chance. Especially because of the strong relationship with Nintendo and Koei Tecmo. Koei Tecmo is even helping with Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Team Ninja a subdivision of Koei Tecmo is making MUA3 a Nintendo console exclusive. So if Ryu Hayabusa doesn’t happen this fighters pass and there’s another fighters pass announced I can definitely see him being added.

As for Hector being an echo for Ike, I’m not a Fire Emblem pro, but don’t they fight too differently?

You know Square should have their next Protoganist be a spear wielder. I mean Noctis sort of is, but his main weapon is his engine blade which is a sword. It would be awesome to see a FF protoganist be a spear wielder.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hope the cancelled game being revived is Megaman Legends 3 or ZX3, I just want their stories get closure considering other Megaman series (Battle Network, Starforce, Zero) got one.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I would love to see Zhao Yun, but he’s based on the Romance of the Three Kingdom novels, which is based on historical events. So even if his character in the Warriors games is dramatized he’s still a real person. So it’s very unlikely that Nintendo would ever allow him to be in Smash, even if he’s Koei’s poster boy.
Yet they have already included a real person in Smash Bros with the Dr. Kawashima Assist Trophy. I don't personally think the history would really change much.

As for Hector, yes, they are different, but that has rarely changed much for FE characters. Hector also has very few attack animations in general, and most of them are some kind of jumping attack which goes pretty well with Aether (even if he doesn't tend to throw his axe in the air so much as spin it before jumping). It would certainly be sad to miss out on his awesome Armads spin, but since it's pretty safe to assume he won't be a full newcomer I'll take what I can get.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I would love to see Zhao Yun, but he’s based on the Romance of the Three Kingdom novels, which is based on historical events. So even if his character in the Warriors games is dramatized he’s still a real person. So it’s very unlikely that Nintendo would ever allow him to be in Smash, even if he’s Koei’s poster boy. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden on the other hand has a huge chance. Especially because of the strong relationship with Nintendo and Koei Tecmo. Koei Tecmo is even helping with Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Team Ninja a subdivision of Koei Tecmo is making MUA3 a Nintendo console exclusive. So if Ryu Hayabusa doesn’t happen this fighters pass and there’s another fighters pass announced I can definitely see him being added.

As for Hector being an echo for Ike, I’m not a Fire Emblem pro, but don’t they fight too differently?

You know Square should have their next Protoganist be a spear wielder. I mean Noctis sort of is, but his main weapon is his engine blade which is a sword. It would be awesome to see a FF protoganist be a spear wielder.
Wait.. Koei Tecmo is helping with Three Houses?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Hope the cancelled game being revived is Megaman Legends 3 or ZX3, I just want their stories get closure considering other Megaman series (Battle Network, Starforce, Zero) got one.
Legends 3 would be perfect for the switch.

I wouldnt mind them remaking kh 358/2 as long as they flesh out the multiplayer a lot more and incorporate it into the actual solo mode.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
People really don't read my posts. XD

DQ11 is releasing in the fall. That it's taking that long might have to do with how many changes are needed to fit the console. Or it could be all the stuff they're adding too.
They took longer because S-E was focusing on other projects. The Enix team took a small break after the end of the PS4 development cycle.
Also, yes, the extra content took them longer. They've done a fantastic job. Seeing the draw distance, amount of enemies on screen and comparing them to the PS4 is quite impressive, tbh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom