• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I know that this is a bit "farfetched".... but if this is true... What are the chances of the sources of the leakers mistaking Erdrick for Chrono? Just spitballing the question just for the sake of it considering both are designed by the same guy that can only do 4 faces and 5 hairstyles when it comes to designing humans?

It is somewhat possible considering both have spiky hair, a pointy stick, and somewhat similar clothing.

The biggest differences here seems to be hair style, and overall color scheme and the fact that Chrono has no Female alt.

The alt thing is simply because this was the best image I could find.

D

Deleted member

I know that this is a bit "farfetched".... but if this is true... What are the chances of the sources of the leakers mistaking Erdrick for Chrono? Just spitballing the question just for the sake of it considering both are designed by the same guy that can only do 4 faces and 5 hairstyles when it comes to designing humans.
As much as the leakers confusing Dai from Jump Force for Erdrick in Smash and the cubivore pig for Minecraft stuff, pretty much zero. Tansut claimed the rep to have female alts, and Vergeben claimed he heard the Luminary along with Erdrick.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I know that this is a bit "farfetched".... but if this is true... What are the chances of the sources of the leakers mistaking Erdrick for Chrono? Just spitballing the question just for the sake of it considering both are designed by the same guy that can only do 4 faces and 5 hairstyles when it comes to designing humans.
Erdrick is far more obscure in the West than Crono. If there was any confusion, it would be them thinking Erdrick was Crono, not the other way around.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
I am acually looking forward to seeing who we will end up getting, because the whole discussion is super interesting.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
As much as the leakers confusing Dai from Jump Force for Erdrick in Smash and the cubivore pig for Minecraft stuff, pretty much zero. Tansut claimed the rep to have female alts, and Vergeben claimed he heard the Luminary along with Erdrick.
The difference between Dai and Erdrick is that Dai is in a game with manga characters and Erdrick is supposed to be in the game with Mario and other video game giant. Erdrick and Chrono are also VERY much alike in design. Just look at SneakyLinks spoiler tag in case you want to get a good example of how much alike. Plus I know that Tansut has been right before with Square content, but they were never leaks revealed months ( I say months since we are more then likely not gonna hear who character 2 is until April) in advance so I wouldn't call it as confirmed as it can be like many seems to claim. Had he said last Tuesday that Erdrick would be revealed in the direct that was last Wednesday we just had, then that's a different question.

Erdrick is far more obscure in the West than Crono. If there was any confusion, it would be them thinking Erdrick was Crono, not the other way around.
While certainly a good point, who isn't to say that (would Chrono be the Square character) that they saw him with an alt that is very reminiscent to Erdricks color scheme? Again, farfetched but considering how much alike they are...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The difference between Dai and Erdrick is that Dai is in a game with manga characters and Erdrick is supposed to be in the game with Mario and other video game giant. Erdrick and Chrono are also VERY much alike in design. Just look at SneakyLinks spoiler tag in case you want to get a good example of how much alike. Plus I know that Tansut has been right before with Square content, but they were never leaks revealed months ( I say months since we are more then likely not gonna hear who character 2 is until April) in advance so I wouldn't call it as confirmed as it can be like many seems to claim. Had he said last Tuesday that Erdrick would be revealed in the direct that was last Wednesday we just had, then that's a different question.

While certainly a good point, who isn't to say that (would Chrono be the Square character) that they saw him with an alt that is very reminiscent to Erdricks color scheme? Again, farfetched but considering how much alike they are...
I think while alike, someone can tell the difference due to the color of their hair unless colorblind (and I doubt all the sources share that trait) and that Crono uses a katana. You omitted the part where I mentioned that the leakers had mentioned stuff like the female alt (that is pictured in the SneakyLink spoiler tag) and the Luminary (Protag who looks like Android 17) being mentioned with him. Plus if everyone confused Crono with Erdrick, Crono wouldn't appear on the list of possible SE reps at all.

Can you show me his post claiming the direct would show Erdrick? I don't seem to find any of the like. Tansut doesn't post that often, and he was correct both times he has made claims regarding Cloud and the Grinch banner leak. I give him the benefit of a doubt until he gets something wrong.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think while alike, someone can tell the difference due to the color of their hair unless colorblind (and I doubt all the sources share that trait) and that Crono uses a katana. You omitted the part where I mentioned that the leakers had mentioned stuff like the female alt (that is pictured in the SneakyLink spoiler tag) and the Luminary (Protag who looks like Android 17) being mentioned with him. Plus if everyone confused Crono with Erdrick, Crono wouldn't appear on the list of possible SE reps at all.
I get what you are saying but Erdrick and Chrono are very much more alike then Android 17 and Luminary. I don't believe that people have been mistaken either, but I just brought it up because lack of things to discuss and that this ride of who the supposed Square rep has been so weird that I at the same time wouldn't be so shocked if something like that has happened.

Can you show me his post claiming the direct would show Erdrick? I don't seem to find any of the like. Tansut doesn't post that often, and he was correct both times he has made claims regarding Cloud and the Grinch banner leak. I give him the benefit of a doubt until he gets something wrong.
My comment about the direct was more an "if that would have happened and Erdrick had been revealed". Should have clarified that.

I know that Tansut has been right twice. although, to qoute a friend that is in the scooper business. One time is no time, two time is a coincidence, three is a pattern. You get the idea.

But I can't help but be sceptic anyway. This whole mysterious Square rep whoever it could be (or if it is someone at all for that matter) is just a major cause of something rotten in Denmark. We are told that it will be revealed for months (even before the game was revealed and we knew the final roster), yet nothing comes in fruition. When we did get a DLC character who every leaker was so sure that it was going to be the mysterious Square Enix character, it's a character that NO leaker has apparently heard about aka Joker. And no, Joker was not a last minute change like I've seen some people claimed. Anyone that claims it doesn't know how marketing works nor animation for that matter. That level of animation in Jokers reveal trailer is NOT last minute work even for someone like Production IG that supposedly animated Jokers trailer.

On top of all this, we now have information from Polar Panda that Nintendo supposedly have been sending out information about a false game (Star Fox Grand Prix). A game that leakers claimed form months that it was just a matter of time before it was going to be shown. If that's correct, what the hedge stops this supposed list of characters to be yet another Star Fox Grand Prix. At this point, I wouldn't be so shocked if that was the cause of all things considered. .

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
As far as the possibility of Crono and Erdrick being confused among leakers, I think the codeword "Brave" ends up finally playing a meaningful part in the speculation and favoring Erdrick. However, I don't think most of the leaks, Crono or Erdrick, are really trustworthy.

D

Deleted member

I would love to see any kind of DQ content in Smash.
If Crono gets in, I will hope to see at least a Slime hat for the Mii or Mii gear of Erdrick or Eight.

D

Deleted member

I get what you are saying but Erdrick and Chrono are very much more alike then Android 17 and Luminary. I don't believe that people have been mistaken either, but I just brought it up because lack of things to discuss and that this ride of who the supposed Square rep has been so weird that I at the same time wouldn't be so shocked if something like that has happened.

My comment about the direct was more an "if that would have happened and Erdrick had been revealed". Should have clarified that.

I know that Tansut has been right twice. although, to qoute a friend that is in the scooper business. One time is no time, two time is a coincidence, three is a pattern. You get the idea.

But I can't help but be sceptic anyway. This whole mysterious Square rep whoever it could be (or if it is someone at all for that matter) is just a major cause of something rotten in Denmark. We are told that it will be revealed for months (even before the game was revealed and we knew the final roster), yet nothing comes in fruition. When we did get a DLC character who every leaker was so sure that it was going to be the mysterious Square Enix character, it's a character that NO leaker has apparently heard about aka Joker. And no, Joker was not a last minute change like I've seen some people claimed. Anyone that claims it doesn't know how marketing works nor animation for that matter. That level of animation in Jokers reveal trailer is NOT last minute work even for someone like Production IG that supposedly animated Jokers trailer.

On top of all this, we now have information from Polar Panda that Nintendo supposedly have been sending out information about a false game (Star Fox Grand Prix). A game that leakers claimed form months that it was just a matter of time before it was going to be shown. If that's correct, what the hedge stops this supposed list of characters to be yet another Star Fox Grand Prix. At this point, I wouldn't be so shocked if that was the cause of all things considered. .
There's nothing wrong with being skeptic, but we don't know exactly when Joker was decided to be presented at the Game Awards. A lot of this situation is pretty much wait and see at the moment, most of the difference is going to be how we take the info. Regarding Tansut, this situation is new considering the previous time but still, the thing he is backing right now is similar what he backed back then (plus Polar seemed to at least put a bit of weight to what he said). I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and think its likely that he is correct (not 100% though), you dont believe the same. And given past conversations nothing we can do until more info is revealed.

The whole confusion aspect has been talked already a few times, especially with the whole Dai and Erdrick debacle. We're going in circles in that regard, I don't feel there's any meaningful new info we can get from that considering we don't have anything to go by to support the mistake. I feel that we can talk about other things in the thread, the possible FFVIII remake and CT revival would make a better topic to talk regarding possible picks from these games. Squall would be a decent character to talk about, Crono hasn't been talked much either in comparison with the others.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Scenes when the male and female variants tansut leaked are Joker and Sexy Cop Dancing Star Night Joker and the Square rep really is 2B/Crono/Slime

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Chrono Break made by modern day Square Enix as a triple A title... that's a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions right there...

I'm not entirely sure where they draw the line on Triple A, but Hitman (which they disowned), Nier (which they shipped out to platinum), and Dragon Quest XI (which was better on the 3DS imo) are the only ones I can think of that I liked this Gen. I'm admittedly still holding out hope for Left Alive (or is that mid-budget? I don't understand SE), so if it shows well enough I might grab hold, but honestly I'd be far more immediately positive about this if it was a mid-budget title... they've been doing really good at those...

Untouch

Smash Master
I could see Chrono Trigger getting a remake.
It was left off the SNES mini, and I think there's a reason for that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, there is this guy who claims to have leaked a FFVIII Remake made by an Asian AAA developer, which would be revealed at a PS event alongside another huge title, which seems to be Chrono Break. So all I can say is that it's funny to see how Chrono is suddenly appearing again amidst the rumor mill.

This guy said this on Twitter, and seems to be the same guy that called out Sony skipping E3 before their announcement.
Eh? Didn't somebody say SE lost their original FF8 data and all that? How would they do a remake?

Chrono Break sounds like pipe dream, really. I dont know why they dropped the series, but i dont think they'd do something around it, tho I think i dont have the full context for chrono break.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There's nothing wrong with being skeptic, but we don't know exactly when Joker was decided to be presented at the Game Awards. A lot of this situation is pretty much wait and see at the moment, most of the difference is going to be how we take the info. Regarding Tansut, this situation is new considering the previous time but still, the thing he is backing right now is similar what he backed back then (plus Polar seemed to at least put a bit of weight to what he said). I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and think its likely that he is correct (not 100% though), you dont believe the same. And given past conversations nothing we can do until more info is revealed.

The whole confusion aspect has been talked already a few times, especially with the whole Dai and Erdrick debacle. We're going in circles in that regard, I don't feel there's any meaningful new info we can get from that considering we don't have anything to go by to support the mistake. I feel that we can talk about other things in the thread, the possible FFVIII remake and CT revival would make a better topic to talk regarding possible picks from these games. Squall would be a decent character to talk about, Crono hasn't been talked much either in comparison with the others.
I'm just saying that, while only Sephiroth or Geno would make me pumped when it comes to the list, I would be happily surprised to see A Square Enix character at this point no matter who it is at the end of things. Call me a cynical skeptic, but there are too many things going on that I can trust leakers to the point that I think Square Enix reps is a lock in general.

But I'm with you. We are going in circles. But I think it was maybe bringing it up considering it would be a bigger chance of confusing Erdrick and Crono, unlike Erdrick and Dai which I think you can agree with me.

Speaking of square. What entry would y'all say is the best to start with for someone that wants to test Dragon Quest? My cousin wants to try it out and his birthday is next week (you get the drill). Asking since I have no real knowledge of it. He is a Nintendo and PC gamer only

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of square. What entry would y'all say is the best to start with for someone that wants to test Dragon Quest? My cousin wants to try it out and his birthday is next week (you get the drill). Asking since I have no real knowledge of it. He is a Nintendo and PC gamer only
DQ5 on DS or DQ8 on 3DS. 11 on Switch will be the best version once it's out.

D

Deleted member

I'm just saying that, while only Sephiroth or Geno would make me pumped when it comes to the list, I would be happily surprised to see A Square Enix character at this point no matter who it is at the end of things. Call me a cynical skeptic, but there are too many things going on that I can trust leakers to the point that I think Square Enix reps is a lock in general.

But I'm with you. We are going in circles. But I think it was maybe bringing it up considering it would be a bigger chance of confusing Erdrick and Crono, unlike Erdrick and Dai which I think you can agree with me.

DQ8 on 3DS or DQXI for Switch.

Try the Builders games too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Familiar question by now. :p

DQ11 is definitely the easiest to get into for most people. It's also an easier game. Personally I prefer at least a little bit of grinding, so DQ11 probably wont be one of my favorites. Any game between 3 and 8 is good too. 3 has erdrick as well as a very simple class structure for the characters. I'm a big fan of class systems, and if you or your cousin likes stuff like that then 6 is good. 7 too, but the pacing/story is more drawn out and some peole find that a bit boring.

The most recommended ones I see are 5 and 8. They're not my faves, but I can see why people recommend them. 4 is good too and has branching stories coming together, but you can't tame monsters like in 5, which a lot of people like. 8 is kind of normal but good all around. Nothing big to speak of, but lots of people liked it including as an entry.
I'm not very good at rating the stories, so if that's a big factor, then somebody else could possibly comment on that.

One of my favorites is still 9, but it's maybe weak in terms of story and character development, because you create your entire team. It has one of the best class systems is the thing.. at least I would say that if it wasnt that characters dont have their own levels, so when you change classes you have to retrain the levels for it. Apart from that there's a lot of cool stuff, and lots of side-quests.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
If he's got a 3DS, the remake of VIII is probably the best option. It's a solid version of a good game with a similar style of presentation to XI (3D graphics, voiced dialogue), so if it was interest in XI that prompted this, that's definitely the one you'd want to go for.

The Heroes games (Dynasty Warriors-style action RPGs) and XI are on PC, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone start with Heroes unless they're allergic to turn-based games, and even then I'd say to try Builders first, and obviously someone with a Switch might be inclined to wait for XI S over buying the vanilla version. The PC version of XI has been on sale fairly often, though, and it's still a great game.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Familiar question by now. :p
Yeah I know..:lol: I just couldn't remember where it was asked last time so I decided to ask again because of it I admit. Btw this is simply to buy for my cousin just like how I bought the KH 3DS game for my sis which I mentioned earlier. I don't have the energy nor time to get myself into another series:sadeyes:

But thanks y'all for the recommendation:) I appreciate it

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I am acually looking forward to seeing who we will end up getting, because the whole discussion is super interesting.
Like seriously, of all the company characters that's being speculated right now, the Square character has by far been the most interesting to even try and pin point on who it could be. There's been hints towards some characters but I do think the ones that have the chance at this point are Erdrick and Sora. Erdrick because of insiders/leaks, and Sora because no one hasn't really hard confirmed Erdrick, and Sora would be great way to just shock everybody who thought Draogon Quest, and the stats does fits his playstyle at least from what we've seen.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

The best DQs are III, V, VIII and XI. III and V can be played on an emulator, VIII I suggest playing the PS2 version on an emulator (miles better than the 3DS one), and XI play it on the Switch. More features with a much better soundtrack (seriously, listening to the overworld and battle themes in MIDI gets old way too quick).

Eh? Didn't somebody say SE lost their original FF8 data and all that? How would they do a remake?

Chrono Break sounds like pipe dream, really. I dont know why they dropped the series, but i dont think they'd do something around it, tho I think i dont have the full context for chrono break.
A remake is not a remaster or a port.
Remakes don't need the original source code at all. It's a game being built from the ground up. What is hard to do is a port or remaster, because they would have to pay their workers a good amount of money to reverse engineer everything from the Steam release. They did that already with FFVII, which is why the current Steam release is the best one and most faithful to the original. And it wasn't cheap.
And they dropped the series because the company was merged and the original FF team was leaving. Chrono was a game directly inherited by the work of the FF team under the guidance of DQ and FF creators. Yuji Horii would be on board, but Sakaguchi won't be returning to S-E anytime soon. Not all of the writers are even working for S-E anymore.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah I know..:lol: I just couldn't remember where it was asked last time so I decided to ask again because of it I admit. Btw this is simply to buy for my cousin just like how I bought the KH 3DS game for my sis which I mentioned earlier. I don't have the energy nor time to get myself into another series:sadeyes:

But thanks y'all for the recommendation:) I appreciate it
Ah yeah. Well, you might also base it on which one you can find. if they only use nintendo, 7 & 8 are on 3ds.
4,5, and 6 are on ds. Those versions are better than the old ones. I definitely like them.

also, there's probably not many people planning to play dq9, but if so i can give tips for a few things. first time i played it i wasted some time and points.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If you don't have a Nintendo DS and don't mind using mobile controls for a game that's just about moving around and activating menus, then the Android / iOS versions of the first 6 games are perfectly fine. I dunno how they handle DQ7 and DQ8 but I imagine they're more intensive for your phone so you'll most likely want to get the 3DS ports of those games (especially 7).

I've heard nothing but great things for DQ11 so you can also wait for the game to drop on Switch for the definitive edition, or if you don't feel like waiting you can get it now for Steam or PS4.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The best DQs are III, V, VIII and XI. III and V can be played on an emulator, VIII I suggest playing the PS2 version on an emulator (miles better than the 3DS one), and XI play it on the Switch. More features with a much better soundtrack (seriously, listening to the overworld and battle themes in MIDI gets old way too quick).

A remake is not a remaster or a port.
Remakes don't need the original source code at all. It's a game being built from the ground up. What is hard to do is a port or remaster, because they would have to pay their workers a good amount of money to reverse engineer everything from the Steam release. They did that already with FFVII, which is why the current Steam release is the best one and most faithful to the original. And it wasn't cheap.
And they dropped the series because the company was merged and the original FF team was leaving. Chrono was a game directly inherited by the work of the FF team under the guidance of DQ and FF creators. Yuji Horii would be on board, but Sakaguchi won't be returning to S-E anytime soon. Not all of the writers are even working for S-E anymore.
It's true that they can remake the game without the original assets, but that takes a lot longer, since there's always lots of that can be re-used to remake a game. Of course, sometimes the code is just such a mess that maybe they wont use all as much stuff.
I dont know if FF8 is worth all that much. It's the worst game in the series (altho i wonder if some people will say ff13 takes that spot). I did finish it but there's so many things I didnt like about it, I doubt I'll ever replay it.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It's true that they can remake the game without the original assets, but that takes a lot longer, since there's always lots of that can be re-used to remake a game. Of course, sometimes the code is just such a mess that maybe they wont use all as much stuff.
I dont know if FF8 is worth all that much. It's the worst game in the series (altho i wonder if some people will say ff13 takes that spot). I did finish it but there's so many things I didnt like about it, I doubt I'll ever replay it.
The game being developed for new hardware demands changes to the code. It's impractical to do it if it's from the ground up.
The thing that they will always have in hand is a reference. Music, script, etc. Models can't be the same, textures need extensive reworking to fit the new dimensions.. This is exactly why remakes take long to make. FFVII and RE 2 have years of development. A remaster has the benefit of having full models and levels transferable, only needing to update the existing texture files, changing the resolution and framerate to fit with the hardware and you're good to go (obviously all of this is simplified for everyone to understand).

And I beg to differ. VIII had its faults, but is far from being the worst.
WARNING, THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY
XIII is atrocious (absolutely terrible design, unappealing cast, linearity taken to the absolute extreme with zero effective use of the limited space given), XI was a mediocre MMO, X has only the soundtrack and premise going for it, with the rest (programming, design, dumbed down battle system, terrible protagonist, badly paced), XII is a Star Wars rip-off with a battle system that can hardly be called FF (and a soundtrack that doesn't reach the levels of I-X), and XV (probably the closest to VIII, but will forever be an incomplete game that could've been a masterpiece).
VIII had a bad narrative, a protagonist that only redeems himself late in the game, and a romance that needed better exploration. But, the art direction, the Junction System, ATB, item and magic refining, levelling system, exploration, hidden side-quests and a top tier soundtrack compensates for its flaws, imo.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The game being developed for new hardware demands changes to the code. It's impractical to do it if it's from the ground up.
The thing that they will always have in hand is a reference. Music, script, etc. Models can't be the same, textures need extensive reworking to fit the new dimensions.. This is exactly why remakes take long to make. FFVII and RE 2 have years of development. A remaster has the benefit of having full models and levels transferable, only needing to update the existing texture files, changing the resolution and framerate to fit with the hardware and you're good to go (obviously all of this is simplified for everyone to understand).

And I beg to differ. VIII had its faults, but is far from being the worst.
WARNING, THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY
XIII is atrocious (absolutely terrible design, unappealing cast, linearity taken to the absolute extreme with zero effective use of the limited space given), XI was a mediocre MMO, X has only the soundtrack and premise going for it, with the rest (programming, design, dumbed down battle system, terrible protagonist, badly paced), XII is a Star Wars rip-off with a battle system that can hardly be called FF (and a soundtrack that doesn't reach the levels of I-X), and XV (probably the closest to VIII, but will forever be an incomplete game that could've been a masterpiece).
VIII had a bad narrative, a protagonist that only redeems himself late in the game, and a romance that needed better exploration. But, the art direction, the Junction System, ATB, item and magic refining, levelling system, exploration, hidden side-quests and a top tier soundtrack compensates for its flaws, imo.
Code is still code, it's re-usable when it's not 'attached' to some structure or the engine. Of course, that's assuming they're using the same language and that it's at least a bit object-oriented. I admit though I havent looked at game code that often, and what I saw in Brawl had me scratching my head sometimes. Very messy and could have a lot of problems.

For ff, I did think it might change per person, especially for people who like the old stuff. But any way I look at it, FF12 is still good compared to ff8. And also i dont know how anyone can like ff8's magic system. It's really more of an item system. And the level system is garbage. it doesnt even matter in a lot of cases, and there's lots of times where it's better to not level up for the game to be easier. how is that close to good design?
But I know, we all focus on different things.

I want to give ff13 another go sometime. They kind of screwed up the progression, but there's enough i liked about it to give it another chance..

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Code is still code, it's re-usable when it's not 'attached' to some structure or the engine. Of course, that's assuming they're using the same language and that it's at least a bit object-oriented. I admit though I havent looked at game code that often, and what I saw in Brawl had me scratching my head sometimes. Very messy and could have a lot of problems.

For ff, I did think it might change per person, especially for people who like the old stuff. But any way I look at it, FF12 is still good compared to ff8. And also i dont know how anyone can like ff8's magic system. It's really more of an item system. And the level system is garbage. it doesnt even matter in a lot of cases, and there's lots of times where it's better to not level up for the game to be easier. how is that close to good design?
But I know, we all focus on different things.

I want to give ff13 another go sometime. They kind of screwed up the progression, but there's enough i liked about it to give it another chance..
The language is definitely different, given the changes to the engine and architecture used for the hardware.
The code was made for a game with a different structure, battle system and space navigation. It wouldn't be of much use.

FFXII is good for what it is, but it feels a lot more of a spinoff than a traditional FF. And as someone who has played FFs from the beginning and seeing it evolve, its identity was kinda defined at that point. And XII would fit as a sub-series, kinda like FFT. In fact, it could be part of its own series with Vagrant Story. FFVIII's magic system permits you to customize your characters with a good versatility. It's not something that you use to attack, but more to determine affinity of your character towards certain elements, and prioritizing certain stats. It's very cool to see how the different party members can be change by using the magic associating with the coherent GFs. The level system is a controversial one, but I find it to have a very good concept. It's broken bc it only looks at Squall's level to determine the enemies' level, when it should take the levels of all party members into consideration. But the idea of a malleable difficulty for the game is awesome, bc the game never becomes too easy, as it is the case with 95% of RPGs once you are leveled up and murder everything in sight to the point of battles being more of a hindrance than a challenge. And every enemy in the game has a weakness to be exploited, so strategy is legit.
The thing that breaks the progression system is also the Cards. The idea of refining them into magic is awesome, but you have access to some powerful cards way too early in the game, which permits the low level run to be an absolute cakewalk. But other than that, the concept is actually smart and engaging. It just needed some minor tweaks.
Oh, and Triple Triad is one of the best card games ever created. That thing is freaking addicting.

At least FFXIII had a good soundtrack. :p

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The language is definitely different, given the changes to the architecture used for the hardware.
The code was made for a game with a different structure, battle system and space navigation. It wouldn't be of much use.

FFXII is good for what it is, but it feels a lot more of a spinoff than a traditional FF. And as someone who has played FFs from the beginning and seeing it evolve, its identity was kinda defined at that point. And XII would fit as a sub-series, kinda like FFT. In fact, it could be part of its own series with Vagrant Story. FFVIII's magic system permits you to customize your characters with a good versatility. It's not something that you use to attack, but more to determine affinity of your character towards certain elements, and prioritizing certain stats. It's very cool to see how the different party members can be change by using the magic associating with the coherent GFs. The level system is a controversial one, but I find it to have a very good concept. It's broken bc it only looks at Squall's level to determine the enemies' level, when it should take the levels of all party members into consideration. But the idea of a malleable difficulty for the game is awesome, bc the game never becomes too easy, as it is the case with 95% of RPGs once you are leveled up and murder everything in sight to the point of battles being more of a hindrance than a challenge. And every enemy in the game has a weakness to be exploited, so strategy is legit.
The thing that breaks the progression system is also the Cards. The idea of refining them into magic is awesome, but you have access to some powerful cards way too early in the game, which permits the low level run to be an absolute cakewalk. But other than that, the concept is actually smart and engaging. It just needed some minor tweaks.
Oh, and Triple Triad is one of the best card games ever created. That thing is freaking addicting.

At least FFXIII had a good soundtrack. :p
An engine is still going to have a familiar language as base. New hardware doesnt mean new language. In example C++ is still widely used even with all the new stuff. It really depends what direction each company is going. I dont know enough specifically when it comes to SE to say anything more tho.

That's kind of what i thought about FF for you, and you did mention similar stuff before. Most people ive talked to dont think that badly of the new ones. I grew up with the old FF games too, but I didn't carry the attachment with me, and I really like all of them except ff8, and ff13 a bit just becuase of the linearity. I like the new directions they went, even if they didn't do as good for a few things. I do think the use of the card game in ff8 was really cool. something i unfortauntely didn't take full advantage of. I dont remember which card system was my fave tho. there was one I got bored of.

I didnt fully read your post before posting, but i will a little later.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
An engine is still going to have a familiar language as base. New hardware doesnt mean new language. In example C++ is still widely used even with all the new stuff. It really depends what direction each company is going. I dont know enough specifically when it comes to SE to say anything more tho.

That's kind of what i thought about FF for you, and you did mention similar stuff before. Most people ive talked to dont think that badly of the new ones. I grew up with the old FF games too, but I didn't carry the attachment with me, and I really like all of them except ff8, and ff13 a bit just becuase of the linearity. I like the new directions they went, even if they didn't do as good for a few things. I do think the use of the card game in ff8 was really cool. something i unfortauntely didn't take full advantage of. I dont remember which card system was my fave tho. there was one I got bored of.

I didnt fully read your post before posting, but i will a little later.
Yes, but as I stated before, the engine would be completely different, and the architecture would demand changes. While languages may stay the same, compilers and languages usually update, and using the standards used for 1998 might not be as useful for today's machines and softwares used.

There is definitely a generation divide in the FF fanbase that is more stark than something you would see in the Zelda community. The thing is, the series is in a state similar to Sonic's after FFIX. The mainline games deviated from the series' identity, distancing it from the design philosophy, battle mechanics, writing and direction. Every FF after IX experimented with something completely new and different, and to those who grew attached to I-IX had a harder time appreciating the newer titles like they did the previous ones. As with everything, there will always be fans of it, so I completely understand the newer fans and what they enjoy. But it's just not what FF was. And to be frank, while I'm not a fan of FF after IX, I don't see XII and XV to be bad games. I actually think they are quite good for what they are. Just not what I look for in a FF game.
Maybe the card game from IX? It's fun, but the RNG factor definitely keeps it at a lower tier compared to Triple Triad, for me at least.

Top Bottom