• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The odd thing is that Brave is likely Character 72. Now, mind you, they can work on character data but release them in a different order. Brave could be Agumon instead of Chrono. That's quite possible. We don't know.

This leak gets more and more interesting, really. Every single name is correct that could go on the website's coding, and 4chan did leak the Smash 4 Roster too. So who knows.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The odd thing is that Brave is likely Character 72. Now, mind you, they can work on character data but release them in a different order. Brave could be Agumon instead of Chrono. That's quite possible. We don't know.

This leak gets more and more interesting, really. Every single name is correct that could go on the website's coding, and 4chan did leak the Smash 4 Roster too. So who knows.
Still though. Couldn't anyone fake that json file bit?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, but as I stated before, the engine would be completely different, and the architecture would demand changes. While languages may stay the same, compilers and languages usually update, and using the standards used for 1998 might not be as useful for today's machines and softwares used.

There is definitely a generation divide in the FF fanbase that is more stark than something you would see in the Zelda community. The thing is, the series is in a state similar to Sonic's after FFIX. The mainline games deviated from the series' identity, distancing it from the design philosophy, battle mechanics, writing and direction. Every FF after IX experimented with something completely new and different, and to those who grew attached to I-IX had a harder time appreciating the newer titles like they did the previous ones. As with everything, there will always be fans of it, so I completely understand the newer fans and what they enjoy. But it's just not what FF was. And to be frank, while I'm not a fan of FF after IX, I don't see XII and XV to be bad games. I actually think they are quite good for what they are. Just not what I look for in a FF game.
Maybe the card game from IX? It's fun, but the RNG factor definitely keeps it at a lower tier compared to Triple Triad, for me at least.
It really depends how they structure their code. The base language can easily be the same without conflicts, and like, in example all the patterns for enemies could be re-used unless they want to change it. The code for a certain enemy and what it does and when wont need to be changed. The models and assets would just be updated. Let's just give that as a small taste for what I'm talking about. I actually think it would take looking more into it to say much more.

Sonic is a very unfair comparison, since the new games did very poorly. The new Final Fantasy games have done well compared to that, even if not as good as the older ones. Over 80% in a lot of cases. It's around 10% less than older ones (well original, since ff9 on ps4 only has 85%, which im not sure is because of its age or what), which i think is fair for the screw ups they've had along experimentations. FF12 was as high as the original ones tho (92%)

As for what you said about FF8's magic and level system, thanks for your perspective. I don't agree with it but it makes me able to see what it can look like to appreciate it :p That's one that i consider to stray a bit from normal formula, so im surprised you like ff8 enough, but it still got a high critic score too, so it makes sense that some people enjoyed it quite a bit.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Probably. That's why I'm skeptical. They need Javascript knowledge. So it's somebody who at least knows the field. It's not like a crappy photoshop job either, which is part of what the Grinch leak was.

They also made sure to get the correct character names as they would be spelled as translated properly from Japanese. Banjo & Kazooie, etc. A lot don't even know Chrono is his proper name, and it's just more tradition to keep his incorrect name in English now. So even if fake, they should get some credit. Better than the bad stuff like the Agnes leak.

-------------

Did somebody say FFVIII? It's my favorite FF. Besides the amazing music, and nicely updated graphics, I love the spell and junction system. Also reminds me a bit of Golden Sun to a degree. It's a non-traditional way to do it, and it makes it vastly different and unique. The only thing I felt was kind of eh was how to upgrade weapons, and that they didn't make it possible to get every Guardian Force due to the partner game option not releasing outside of Japan. Ironically it's one of the hardest to reprogram, hence not being on any other system but the PSX.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
It really depends how they structure their code. The base language can easily be the same without conflicts, and like, in example all the patterns for enemies could be re-used unless they want to change it. The code for a certain enemy and what it does and when wont need to be changed. The models and assets would just be updated. Let's just give that as a small taste for what I'm talking about. I actually think it would take looking more into it to say much more.

Sonic is a very unfair comparison, since the new games did very poorly. The new Final Fantasy games have done well compared to that, even if not as good as the older ones. Over 80% in a lot of cases. It's around 10% less than older ones (well original, since ff9 on ps4 only has 85%, which im not sure is because of its age or what), which i think is fair for the screw ups they've had along experimentations. FF12 was as high as the original ones tho (92%)

As for what you said about FF8's magic and level system, thanks for your perspective. I don't agree with it but it makes me able to see what it can look like to appreciate it :p That's one that i consider to stray a bit from normal formula, so im surprised you like ff8 enough, but it still got a high critic score too, so it makes sense that some people enjoyed it quite a bit.
Language updates can literally put some codes to not compile at all. They would have to change it to fit the new standards.
And the AI behaviour would be usable if the battle systems is ATB. Otherwise, it will be useless. And knowing current S-E, it's not in their interest to revert FF back to that type of battle system.

I'm not comparing the quality of the games. I'm talking about how both series lost its identity, and is always trying something new in every entry in a desperate attempt to find something to cling to for future titles. FF has at least managed to have better results in terms of quality with what they try, but they are still divisive in the community, and you don't see these ideas being part of an identity for future titles to revive and expand on.

Hahahahaha! XD
Sure thing dear. It's always interesting to hear new perspectives. :)
FFVIII didn't stray that much from the formula, imo. It featured ATB, a system that permitted character customization (vaguely similar to the Esper and Materia system), world exploration in the same vein from the series' staple and space navigation that inherited from VII and was later used for IX. The quirks were them trying to get a fresh take on what VII and VI did. It's not my favorite FF by a long shot, but it's not bottom tier, that's what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They also made sure to get the correct character names as they would be spelled as translated properly from Japanese. Banjo & Kazooie, etc. A lot don't even know Chrono is his proper name, and it's just more tradition to keep his incorrect name in English now. So even if fake, they should get some credit. Better than the bad stuff like the Agnes leak.
Source on Chrono being his proper name? Cant find anything on it really. I feel that the leak is pretty unlikely as it makes Joker an outlier, every other character is pretty much from the late 90s. While it doesn't prevent it from becoming true, Sakurai normally balances the roster regarding picking characters from different eras. The 5ch leak is better in this regard, and this leak seems to just be picking popular 4chan character picks (Banjo, Reimu, Agumon) and adding something from previous speculation(SE rep, Crono). Its practically the same **** as the previous text leak with Agumon and Reimu instead of Sylux and Edelgard.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy 8 is my favorite mainline FF. I just think the world and gameplay are great. Love the aesthetic. I also really like the cast. But y'know, that's just me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Language updates can literally put some codes to not compile at all. They would have to change it to fit the new standards.
And the AI behaviour would be usable if the battle systems is ATB. Otherwise, it will be useless. And knowing current S-E, it's not in their interest to revert FF back to that type of battle system.

I'm not comparing the quality of the games. I'm talking about how both series lost its identity, and is always trying something new in every entry in a desperate attempt to find something to cling to for future titles. FF has at least managed to have better results in terms of quality with what they try, but they are still divisive in the community, and you don't see these ideas being part of an identity for future titles to revive and expand on.

Hahahahaha! XD
FFVIII didn't stray that much from the formula. It featured ATB, a system that permitted character customization (vaguely similar to the Esper and Materia system), world exploration in the same vein from the series' staple and space navigation that inherited from VII and was later used for IX. The quirks were them trying to get a fresh take on what VII and VI did. It's not my favorite FF by a long shot, but it's not bottom tier, that's what I'm trying to say.
Ok so you really think they'd re-haul everything for an FF8 remake. Like what's been around ff7, i guess. I wasn't really on the same line. So let's just say that yes, if it's such a big re-haul, everything would be different, lol.

I don't think that FF has lost its identity. I think it's redefining itself through each new one at this point. And I'd like to say doing an amazing job, considering everything, but I dont think it's a good excuse for some of the bad points to them. I just think it's understandable.

Hahahahaha! XD
FFVIII didn't stray that much from the formula, imo. It featured ATB, a system that permitted character customization (vaguely similar to the Esper and Materia system), world exploration in the same vein from the series' staple and space navigation that inherited from VII and was later used for IX. The quirks were them trying to get a fresh take on what VII and VI did. It's not my favorite FF by a long shot, but it's not bottom tier, that's what I'm trying to say.
Umm, glad I made you laugh i guess :p
FF8 just didn't touch on what was FF for me, including things with the battle, even if they were ATB and all that.
I suppose for me, ff9 was great because of also returning to more fantasy settings.
I really like the setting for Crystal Chronicles too. I wouldn't mind a lot more FFCC titles. I think the first one was still the best. Maybe that's one case where I'll say they lost something by trying new things with it. I dont feel that way with the main series, but I get it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Source on Chrono being his proper name? Cant find anything on it really. I feel that the leak is pretty unlikely as it makes Joker an outlier, every other character is pretty much from the late 90s. While it doesn't prevent it from becoming true, Sakurai normally balances the roster regarding picking characters from different eras. The 5ch leak is better in this regard, and this leak seems to just be picking popular 4chan character picks (Banjo, Reimu, Agumon) and adding something from previous speculation(SE rep, Crono). Its practically the same **** as the previous text leak with Agumon and Reimu instead of Sylux and Edelgard.
Chrono is his proper name in Japan. Always has been, always will be. In the US version, they had to shorten the letter count to 5. His name was changed there only. So it's an English-only thing. クロノ is the spelling itself, being Chrono essentially. He's named after a word related to time. Kurono is the correct romanization, but it literally means Chrono. So basically he's Chronology.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Chrono is his proper name in Japan. Always has been, always will be. In the US version, they had to shorten the letter count to 5. His name was changed there only. So it's an English-only thing. クロノ is the spelling itself, being Chrono essentially. He's named after a word related to time. Kurono is the correct romanization, but it literally means Chrono. So basically he's Chronology.
I thought all of this was a joke. Are there actually reasons for taking it seriously?

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Id have to agree with this assesment. Whether a game is considered a remake, remaster, or hd port doesnt determine how or if the code would change.
Ff8 could be redone with completely new models and textures and the code could potentially never change. Some companies might consider that a remake. Sure it would play the exact same, but it would look completely different.

Only time code changes is if the developer wants it to change, or maybe the hardware or engine have changed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I understand this, but don't you have something like an artbook where his name appears as Chrono or something? It feels weird that he would be renamed like this for a game considering his name in the localization has been Crono since pretty much forever, and I feel that its more that the leaker himself thought putting this name would make it legit.
Regarding the JSON file, how was it posted? was it to a link or was it to a pastebin? If it a pastebin, its more than likely than the "leaker" noticed the changes in the Smash website and just decided to create his hoax based on that. A JSON file its relatively easy to create and the only investigation needed would be regarding the character names.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
makes Joker an outlier, every other character is pretty much from the late 90s.
Pattern searching like that, seems like an awful stretch. Especially since no one really pays attention to age differences in these things since it's never really been a thing. And most have had new installments or re-releases recently enough anyway.

Not that I believe the leak yet, but there's far more logical things to poke at than that.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Ok so you really think they'd re-haul everything for an FF8 remake. Like what's been around ff7, i guess. I wasn't really on the same line. So let's just say that yes, if it's such a big re-haul, everything would be different, lol.

I don't think that FF has lost its identity. I think it's redefining itself through each new one at this point. And I'd like to say doing an amazing job, considering everything, but I dont think it's a good excuse for some of the bad points to them. I just think it's understandable.

Umm, glad I made you laugh i guess :p
FF8 just didn't touch on what was FF for me, including things with the battle, even if they were ATB and all that.
I suppose for me, ff9 was great because of also returning to more fantasy settings.
I really like the setting for Crystal Chronicles too. I wouldn't mind a lot more FFCC titles. I think the first one was still the best. Maybe that's one case where I'll say they lost something by trying new things with it. I dont feel that way with the main series, but I get it.
I mean, if S-E even gave us the idea that they would consider a remake in that vein, I would be all for it.
From interviews with the top developers, that would hardly happen.

Well, if the series is redefined with every game, then there wouldn't be an identity, would it?
But yeah, at least they're trying.

Hahaha! Thank you. I laughed because of your good humor, not being ironic.
And yes, IX was refreshing bc it went back to its roots with the setting. I wish FF would return to that someday. At least FFXIV director hopes for XVI to be the case.
CC is cool dude. Glad to see it being remastered now. ^^

Id have to agree with this assesment. Whether a game is considered a remake, remaster, or hd port doesnt determine how or if the code would change.
Ff8 could be redone with completely new models and textures and the code could potentially never change. Some companies might consider that a remake. Sure it would play the exact same, but it would look completely different.

Only time code changes is if the developer wants it to change, or maybe the hardware or engine have changed.
Which would be the case. Compilers and standards changed considerably from 20 years ago. Engines and other softwares that are used for current hardware don't support older versions of codes, so they need reworking. And by definition a remake is different from a remaster in that exact sense.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought all of this was a joke. Are there actually reasons for taking it seriously?
It wasn't a "joke". it was either a fake leak made by someone or an actual thing that happened and people are researching it.

It's one of many leaks on 4chan, except it's quite active and the people who posted it are trying to provide evidence. Grain of salt, but the only so-called evidence making it fake is currently bad. The best information we have as is that could hurt the leak(not the crappy "name of Crono" bull, which both names are correct, depending Japan or US). We are under the impression that Brave is Character 72, but we can't say that for sure.

I understand this, but don't you have something like an artbook where his name appears as Chrono or something? It feels weird that he would be renamed like this for a game considering his name in the localization has been Crono since pretty much forever, and I feel that its more that the leaker himself thought putting this name would make it legit.
No artbook known to my knowledge. I only know it because people have constantly noted it as the official name in Japan over and over.

Regarding the JSON file, how was it posted? was it to a link or was it to a pastebin? If it a pastebin, its more than likely than the "leaker" noticed the changes in the Smash website and just decided to create his hoax based on that. A JSON file its relatively easy to create and the only investigation needed would be regarding the character names.
I think they posted the actual file via pastebin or whatever for us to see. And that's part of why I'm skeptical, as I said. It just means that if it's fake, the person isn't some random guy and at least has some skill.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
AFAIK, there isn't any proof this file actually comes from where the rumor says it comes from. That, and the website even having this data on it right now wouldn't really make any sense unless an announcement for all of them were imminent.

Basically 99.99% BS.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The one clear thing is this; if they updated the game and website, but scrubbed it off the website later, it would explain why it wasn't found now.

But yeah, there's no hard evidence it's fake, but there's no reason to believe it's real either. Not until we get more information.

D

Deleted member

Pattern searching like that, seems like an awful stretch. Especially since no one really pays attention to age differences in these things since it's never really been a thing. And most have had new installments or re-releases recently enough anyway.

Not that I believe the leak yet, but there's far more logical things to poke at than that.
Did you missed that afterward I posted that it doesnt necessarily make it untrue, but I found it weird. There are more things weird with it though, especially considering the leak only switches two characters from a previous leak.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Still looks silly to me. The default stance should be for leaks to be fake before shown to have something to it. Just get someone who knows a bit of javascript and insert what you want, then copy it to pastebin, and voila.

I love Reimu but touhou is one of those games that the west really doesn't know.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There are more things weird with it though, especially considering the leak only switches two characters from a previous leak.
*Shrug* If you say so. That said, the 5chan leak is just as bad if not worse, given it's amount of piggybacking and other questionable details.

Right now, I believe neither leak, though if the filing postage in this 4chan one is legit, then it already trumps the 5chan one in the evidence department.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
*Shrug* If you say so. That said, the 5chan leak is just as bad if not worse, given it's amount of piggybacking and other questionable details.

Right now, I believe neither leak, though if the filing postage in this 4chan one is legit, then it already trumps the 5chan one in the evidence department.
filing postage? Do you mean looking at possible archiving for when it was posted that way?
The 5chan one at least had a good prediction to it. And characters that're more plausible.

Too bad lots of people just want any info they can, and that we dont have much to speculate about right now XD

D

Deleted member

I dont believe either as well, the 5ch leak has also the very dubious mention of every character being a promo for something. Evidence-wise, unless they recorded getting the JSON, the 4ch one is pretty likely fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Didn't Digimon start of a TV show? I mean, if it was and Agumon would end up, then the can of worm called Son Goku would be worse then before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Who "seem" plausible doesn't really determine if a leak is real or not alone. Every single one of those characters are unexpected picks. Touhou being niche in the West doesn't mean Nintendo won't go for it. Really, what hurts it more realistically is ZUN being stingy as is. He's more likely to say no than Nintendo not being willing to get a profile Indie character.

We got Joker, after all. Not another Sonic character. Not the more known Jack Frost. A character who is pretty darn niche in his own right. He had a lot of vocal popularity too, but nobody really expected him either. Unexpected picks have a lot better chance than people think. This fits every single one of the 5 DLC characters. A second SE character would obviously be Geno or a DQ or even a FF character. They're pretty much the popular picks. Chrono is the only one from a series that is either not hard-tied to Nintendo or is currently inactive. Thus, unexpected. People are being realistic by expecting Steve in Smash. B&K is one people want, but don't expect due to some strong competition. Reimu I explained above more or less. She's from a niche series. There's other Indie series that are more known in the West. Agumon is unexpected cause people like to forget that there's Bandai-Namco picks beyond, well, Namco. People heavily expect Heihachi, even ignoring why he wasn't plausible(as his moveset couldn't be transferred over well due to the lack of 3D gameplay, an important part of Tekken). He's still that expected. And some expect Lloyd too due to the double swords, the obvious Tales of pick(by Sakurai's words himself).

They're all unexpected. Just what Reggie even said. So who is on the list shouldn't be taken too seriously as "obviously fake". Like, the only one that might be close to that is Reimu, but that's due to ZUN's opinion on using his IP for money. It's why he encourages fangames instead. The chances of him saying yes are vastly low.

Didn't Digimon start of a TV show? I mean, if it was and Agumon would end up, then the can of worm called Son Goku would be worse then before.
Nope. Video Game first. Manga came second, and then the Anime.

At best, anime influences could happen, not unlike some of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Who "seem" plausible doesn't really determine if a leak is real or not alone. Every single one of those characters are unexpected picks. Touhou being niche in the West doesn't mean Nintendo won't go for it. Really, what hurts it more realistically is ZUN being stingy as is. He's more likely to say no than Nintendo not being willing to get a profile Indie character.

We got Joker, after all. Not another Sonic character. Not the more known Jack Frost. A character who is pretty darn niche in his own right. He had a lot of vocal popularity too, but nobody really expected him either. Unexpected picks have a lot better chance than people think. This fits every single one of the 5 DLC characters. A second SE character would obviously be Geno or a DQ or even a FF character. They're pretty much the popular picks. Chrono is the only one from a series that is either not hard-tied to Nintendo or is currently inactive. Thus, unexpected. People are being realistic by expecting Steve in Smash. B&K is one people want, but don't expect due to some strong competition. Reimu I explained above more or less. She's from a niche series. There's other Indie series that are more known in the West. Agumon is unexpected cause people like to forget that there's Bandai-Namco picks beyond, well, Namco. People heavily expect Heihachi, even ignoring why he wasn't plausible(as his moveset couldn't be transferred over well due to the lack of 3D gameplay, an important part of Tekken). He's still that expected. And some expect Lloyd too due to the double swords, the obvious Tales of pick(by Sakurai's words himself).

They're all unexpected. Just what Reggie even said. So who is on the list shouldn't be taken too seriously as "obviously fake". Like, the only one that might be close to that is Reimu, but that's due to ZUN's opinion on using his IP for money. It's why he encourages fangames instead. The chances of him saying yes are vastly low.

Nope. Video Game first. Manga came second, and then the Anime.

At best, anime influences could happen, not unlike some of Pokemon.
Hmm okay. I wasn't aware of that.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Are we really taking that 4chan website leak from last night seriously? Anybody could do that with Inspect Element/photo editing, and there's no evidence that there even was any kind of JavaScript ****ery going on.

Also, how legit is Zeal Returns? I've been looking into him to try and figure out how clean his track record is, and he seems, to say the least, kind of ****ing crazy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmm okay. I wasn't aware of that.
The anime is the most well known thing about Digimon. It's actually not surprising many didn't know his origins. Basically, he was created in a game that is a sisters series to the Tamagotchi. So more or less his origins are like Game & Watch's. The series itself spans multiple media and the anime is immensely popular.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Random question for you guys:
What is your greatest game of all time?

Mine is Super Mario Galaxy 2
NieR Automata. It's a game that can only be a game and it does so many creative and clever and moving things with the medium. The story, gameplay, and music are all sublime as well. It's why I want 2B in Smash so badly.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The anime is the most well known thing about Digimon. It's actually not surprising many didn't know his origins. Basically, he was created in a game that is a sisters series to the Tamagotchi. So more or less his origins are like Game & Watch's. The series itself spans multiple media and the anime is immensely popular.
Sister series to Tamagotchi?? Ehm.. WHAT?? :lol: That's certainly not something I expected.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Same creator. Digimon was created aa video game with similar programming to appeal to the male demographic.
Hehe okay. "The more you know"

Random question for you guys:
What is your greatest game of all time?

Mine is Super Mario Galaxy 2
That depends on what you mean with the greatest.

Some favorites (that I have arguably spent the most time with)
Fire Emblem Blazing Sword
Final Fantasy 7
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario Thousand year door.
Pokemon Black & White 2.

All great in their own right. Maybe I should pick Blazing Sword because it introduced me to Fire Emblem?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Verge normally uses autism as an insult to the fanbase when people get obnoxious. There's a reason why most people think he is a ****.
I though he only used it once? Not saying it’s okay, but I only remember that one instance when a user from here made an alt on there to harass him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I though he only used it once? Not saying it’s okay, but I only remember that one instance when a user from here made an alt on there to harass him.
I think it was more than once.

But the context is people heavily harassed him, so he used a very large insult to get back at people. So him being aggravated makes sense. The word he used was awful, but there is zero justification for him being harassed. They were all in the wrong. There's no real "less wrong" here either. Verge still gets legitimate information, but like all leakers, not all if it is real. He's not a source, just a person who releases the information when a source is okay with it. He's somewhat improved over the years, but still has issues.

Top Bottom