• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, I've previously imagined echos for promo purposes as a possibility, but not newcomers. That said if it's the only way they can get Reimu in and they want her for whatever reason I so feel her circumstances make it more plausible for her than pretty much anyone else

Important distinction: plausible, not likely

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Did you guys see this?
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/451551189

Personally I would prefer Cuphead over Banjo, but I would be happy with him too.
But I would bet it is 100% fake, sadly.
Goes against a lot of what we've heard by now.

But, it's interesting to speculate how far the development of the four characters is progressing.
Would they be working on how many at a time?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Did you guys see this?

Personally I would prefer Cuphead over Banjo, but I would be happy with him too.

But, it's interesting to speculate how far the development of the four characters is progressing.
Definitely guessing this is fake but Felyne is a pretty cool unexpected MonHun rep. I still don't think we are definitely getting a MonHun rep at all but I enjoyed the creativity. This overall would be a very exciting lineup for me. Mostly because, uh, I really do want Sans, meme or not.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Definitely guessing this is fake but Felyne is a pretty cool unexpected MonHun rep. I still don't think we are definitely getting a MonHun rep at all but I enjoyed the creativity. This overall would be a very exciting lineup for me. Mostly because, uh, I really do want Sans, meme or not.
I loved the idea of him coming to Smash. And I agree with one dude that posted there. He would make sense to be the Brave character
Fits the stats quite nicely tbh

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Did you guys see this?

Seems hella fake to me.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah.
But in terms of development, I think they might have 3 characters in the oven, including Joker
The idea of having more characters being worked on as we speak is interesting to keep in mind

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did you guys see this?

I find it amusing how they clarified Sans (Undertale). I really can’t see them including Minecraft music for a Banjo stage anyway.

D

Deleted member

Assuming February 2020 is the release date for the final DLC fighter and Joker is being released around late April, there's practically 9-10 months to work on the other four fighters. The only two fighters we know are Joker and Brave. It's assumed we'll get a newcomer in April with a Smash direct.

I'll take a shot in the dark and say actually coding stability and balancing the fighter is the step that takes the most time. Piranha Plant and his moveset was revealed in November last year and was released at the start of this month. A full three months since reveal. Joker's development was supposedly started about after Ultimate was released, December 7, 2018, and is going to be released in "late April." I wouldn't doubt Joker's animations already being completed by now given we have the full model. My intuition leads me to believe they already have Brave's model and moveset animated but haven't really began coding any of it beyond the filler stats. I don't think they're evenly multitasking a fighter, but I doubt they haven't began rough drafts. Getting a fighter released every two or three months seems to be the pattern they're going down, regardless.

PPlant: February
Joker: April
???: I'm predicting to be released in June or July

E: Hold on. I'm also forgetting that fighter passes contain a stage and pieces of music too. No wonder Joker took about four months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Did you guys see this?

Okay.. I humor this leak.

I get that Monster Hunter is huge, but isn't the monster the main thing that makes the games appealing and not the hunter itself? I mean, if not. why would they get access to Rathalos as a boss and assist trophy but not Monster Hunter as a character then? Also... 4 Capcom characters? Really? When your co-developer still has only 1? Not the most farfetched though.

Sans.. as much as I don't care about Undertale (and could easily be there for trolling considering his "meme status") the fact still remains that Undertale is an enormous success, and would make sense in that regard. Especially with how big it is in Japan However, Deltarune (the sequel) has a rather unsubtle Smash Bros reference, and last time that happens in a game that was indicating towards Smash, was Rodin from Bayonetta and Shantae from her games, and we all know that those two aren't playable. But who knows, maybe it will kill the trend.

When it comes to Banjo... Let's face it, if they want to have a Microsoft rep, there are only 3 characters that they are obviously going to choose. Banjo, Master Chief (I mean, we have Snake from Metal Gear and Bayonetta so who is to say that Nintendo could not make him work for the game) Banjo & Kazzoie for obvious reasons considering their ties with Nintendo and (I hate to say this,) Steve from Minecraft due to its (to put it mildly) popularity. No offense to potential Minecraft fans, but I can't really say that MC is my cup of tea and I have more than one bad occasion with the Minecraft fanbase.

But it could explain why Papa Geno sources that were right on the money about Spirits have heard Banjo and Vergeben for the longest time only claimed "Minecraft content" and not specifically. But all bias aside (since I want Banjo), considering how close Nintendo are with Microsoft I wouldn't be so shocked if one of the five is one of the three potential Microsoft characters.

With Sephiroth, even though I still think he has a shot and I would love to see him getting in, there is one part here that makes me the most sceptic. 6 new Final Fantasy tracks????. 6 new Final Fantasy tracks when they only managed to get 2 with Cloud...If this truly is true then what kind of miracles did the one handling the negotiations for them do? Then again, hearing how the composer for Dragon Quest is and they for some reason managed to get the music to become orchestral, who knows at this point...

Overall, I doubt its real, but its certainly more belivable then the Digimon leak.

I find it amusing how they clarified Sans (Undertale). I really can’t see them including Minecraft music for a Banjo stage anyway.
I mean, the Luigis mansion had Tetris song earlier.. I have heard of weirder stuff happening in Smash

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Heh. This is a cute idea. Not sure if I can believe it specifically, but it's a neat thing to do. If this is the kind of stuff being said about 3.0.0 from Verge, we might have a rollercoaster even if this info right here is false.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And since people are giving their thoughts about the fighters

Felyne: Wouldn't they put an actual Monster Hunter in instead of the mascot? It'd be like putting Slime in instead of Erdrick. It'd be bizarre above all else. I would not be surprised about a Monster Hunter character purely out of Rathalos being a heavy addition to Ultimate, but Felyne? I never played Monster Hunter, but from outside-looking-in, I don't think this would be interesting. Cute, but not what Monster Hunter is about, I think.

Sans: Sans is unironically the coolest part of Undertale in my eyes. (Damn shame his true potential is only accessed by the worst part of Undertale.) He was just a funny skeleton, but then he suddenly reveals to you that the world is much bigger than what's currently in the game. It's pretty cool and the fight is incredibly memorable. Undertale getting into Smash Bros over something like Shovel Knight or even Shantae is hard to believe though. I would totally dig it but I can't see it happening.

Banjo-Kazooie is a ****ing "yes please" and I'm patiently waiting to see if Microsoft is going to add him in this time around. I like the idea of Mumbo Mountain being the stage instead of Spiral Mountain only because I never found Spiral Mountain to be super memorable apart from being a really well made tutorial world with a catchy melody. Mumbo Mountain has the staple mechanics of jiggies, notes, Jinjos, and asshole characters who make fun of you. What's not to love? Personally, I think there's a lot that can be done with Gruntilda's Lair, but that's another story.

Sephiroth: ...Eh. Maybe after I play FF7. He doesn't do it for me yet as I've more supported Geno or Erdrick as the SE rep. If it meant getting Banjo and Sans, though, who gives a ****? Plus I know he wouldn't just be a Cloud clone anyways so he'd actually bring something to Ultimate.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Okay.. I humor this leak.

I get that Monster Hunter is huge, but isn't the monster the main thing that makes the games appealing and not the hunter itself? I mean, if not. why would they get access to Rathalos as a boss and assist trophy but not Monster Hunter as a character then? Also... 4 Capcom characters? Really? When your co-developer still has only 1? Not the most farfetched though.

Sans.. as much as I don't care about Undertale (and could easily be there for trolling considering his "meme status") the fact still remains that Undertale is an enormous success, and would make sense in that regard. Especially with how big it is in Japan However, Deltarune (the sequel) has a rather unsubtle Smash Bros reference, and last time that happens in a game that was indicating towards Smash, was Rodin from Bayonetta and Shantae from her games, and we all know that those two aren't playable. But who knows, maybe it will kill the trend.

When it comes to Banjo... Let's face it, if they want to have a Microsoft rep, there are only 3 characters that they are obviously going to choose. Banjo, Master Chief (I mean, we have Snake from Metal Gear and Bayonetta so who is to say that Nintendo could not make him work for the game) Banjo & Kazzoie for obvious reasons considering their ties with Nintendo and (I hate to say this,) Steve from Minecraft due to its (to put it mildly) popularity. No offense to potential Minecraft fans, but I can't really say that MC is my cup of tea and I have more than one bad occasion with the Minecraft fanbase.

But it could explain why Papa Geno sources that were right on the money about Spirits have heard Banjo and Vergeben for the longest time only claimed "Minecraft content" and not specifically. But all bias aside (since I want Banjo), considering how close Nintendo are with Microsoft I wouldn't be so shocked if one of the five is one of the three potential Microsoft characters.

With Sephiroth, even though I still think he has a shot and I would love to see him getting in, there is one part here that makes me the most sceptic. 6 new Final Fantasy tracks????. 6 new Final Fantasy tracks when they only managed to get 2 with Cloud...If this truly is true then what kind of miracles did the one handling the negotiations for them do? Then again, hearing how the composer for Dragon Quest is and they for some reason managed to get the music to become orchestral, who knows at this point...

Overall, I doubt its real, but its certainly more belivable then the Digimon leak.

I mean, the Luigis mansion had Tetris song earlier.. I have heard of weirder stuff happening in Smash
Felyne is a different case compared to Slime, I think. Slime is THE standard enemy for Dragon Quest. You never play as him as a main character in the core games. Felyne is a character that is customizable and is part of the Hunter's party. He is the partner for every hunter. I understand your point, I think Hunter would make more sense, but Felyne is the most stable character in the series, in the sense of visual identity. And yeah, 4 Capcom characters compared to 1 from Namco is sad, but I don't think there's a written rule stopping any character from joining in, outside of the guidelines that Nintendo follows to choose the characters themselves.

I actually found it funny how this came up. The timing is ridiculous. Right after Deltarune is announced first for the Switch. I also think it would be absolutely amazing to have it in Smash. Out of all the indies, I think Undertale would make the most sense.

Awww... No Cuphead? :(
But I also have kinda the same feeling towards Minecraft. However, we had numerous stages featuring music from a series that the character in question isn't a part of.

I don't think I need to explain how I feel about Sephiroth. :p
The idea of having 6 music tracks is surprising, but possible, given how S-E is more open to Nintendo in recent years, Uematsu is a good friend of Sakurai's, and I wouldn't be surprised if S-E had more FF content with Sephiroth and decided to include as DLC so they got more revenue out of it. It would pay the higher royalties demanded, given DLC revenue is shared directly with the third party company involved. And the DQ composer was never against putting orchestral music in DQXI. It was S-E not wanting to pay royalties to NHK bc they usually demand a larger than average amount. I think Nintendo helped them out on that.

And I agree. I feel like this leak is way more believable than the Digimon one.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Did you guys see this?

Sakurai was saying that the team is making Joker, the next one, and the next one, and "something". That was mid December iirc.
Assuming "something" is the new contents coming this spring with Ver.3.0, at least they started developing the second and the third DLC around that time.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Sakurai was saying that the team is making Joker, the next one, and the next one, and "something". That was mid December iirc.
Assuming "something" is the new contents coming this spring with Ver.3.0, at least they started developing the second and the third DLC around that time.
Huh. Funny. That kinda fits with what the guy said, with at least two characters being in development for a good while.
I didn't see that quote from Sakurai before.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
just so y'all know, Vergeben doesn't use twitter. He said so himself.

the twitter account is an imposter.

As for the recent 4chan leak, seems fake to me. I can easily see Banjo-Kazooie being part of the Fighters Pass, though, even without my bias.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Do you have a source on that quote?

D

Deleted member

Huh. Funny. That kinda fits with what the guy said, with at least two characters being in development for a good while.
I didn't see that quote from Sakurai before.
Well, Sm4sh had that kind of development with Corrin and Bayo being released at the same time if I recall so it's not difficult to think 2-3 characters are worked on simultaneously.

I personally find it funny that they have to mention that MH music will include the MH tracks already on the game though (Music will include the two musics, sounds something that a kid would write). Most likely fake considering how the Ultimate speculation season had a bunch of them like these.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Do you have a source on that quote?
I believe it was from the E-mail from Nintendo sent to everyone who purchased a download version of smash.
I didn't get this personally because I bought a pysical copy but I remember people were speculating about that "something" part and expecting big updates.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
D

Deleted member

https://twinfinite.net/2019/02/squa...zation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Something for the Square thread to nosh on. Square's teasing even more announcements leading into E3.

... S-Super Mario RPG remake...? Please...? :drsad:
There are already rumors of Chrono Trigger and FFVIII remake that popped up in the last couple of days (if not yesterday). Still, we haven't received any notice from the Octopath or the Bravely team (if they are not the same :b) so there is hope from them.

And about underperformances of JC4 and SotTR, thats 100% on the products being overall meh and the PC version of JC4 having a lot of performance issues if I recall.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Felyne is a different case compared to Slime, I think. Slime is THE standard enemy for Dragon Quest. You never play as him as a main character in the core games. Felyne is a character that is customizable and is part of the Hunter's party. He is the partner for every hunter. I understand your point, I think Hunter would make more sense, but Felyne is the most stable character in the series, in the sense of visual identity. And yeah, 4 Capcom characters compared to 1 from Namco is sad, but I don't think there's a written rule stopping any character from joining in, outside of the guidelines that Nintendo follows to choose the characters themselves.

I actually found it funny how this came up. The timing is ridiculous. Right after Deltarune is announced first for the Switch. I also think it would be absolutely amazing to have it in Smash. Out of all the indies, I think Undertale would make the most sense.

Awww... No Cuphead? :(
But I also have kinda the same feeling towards Minecraft. However, we had numerous stages featuring music from a series that the character in question isn't a part of.

I don't think I need to explain how I feel about Sephiroth. :p
The idea of having 6 music tracks is surprising, but possible, given how S-E is more open to Nintendo in recent years, Uematsu is a good friend of Sakurai's, and I wouldn't be surprised if S-E had more FF content with Sephiroth and decided to include as DLC so they got more revenue out of it. It would pay the higher royalties demanded, given DLC revenue is shared directly with the third party company involved. And the DQ composer was never against putting orchestral music in DQXI. It was S-E not wanting to pay royalties to NHK bc they usually demand a larger than average amount. I think Nintendo helped them out on that.

And I agree. I feel like this leak is way more believable than the Digimon one.
Okay, gotcha. But looking over the characters at the monster hunter series Felyne could be a good fit if MH would get someone playable.
About Sans.. Like I said in the comment. The only thing that makes me a skeptic is the unsubtle Smash Bos reference in Deltarune consider what happened with Rodin and Shantae.

When it comes to the Microsoft rep. I have no problem with the Cuphead franchise, heck I even own it on Steam. But considering what it is up against it doesn't make sense to chose them instead. For example, even if I'm not the biggest fan of getting Erdrick or whoever it would be from Dragon Quest (because I think they should go with characters that more popular worldwide) I have to admit that it makes sense from a historical standpoint, marketing standpoint (hope to get westerns more interested) and the popularity stance in Japan considering Nintendo of Japan more often then not cater to the Japanese audience over the Western. Choosing Cuphead over Master Chief, Steve or Banjo would be like you want to do a Smash styled game for comic book characters, and that includes manga character (considering manga is basically Japanese comics), and the developer would grab Eren Jaeger, from Attack on Titans, Saitama from One Punch and Natsu from Fairytail when they were offered Son Goku, Luffy, and Naruto.

About Sephiroth... Ah okay. Still, find it a bit "WHAT?" if they go from 2 songs to 8.. But you are right that they are more buddy buddies then ever.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
we could get two characters owned by Microsoft if Nintendo wanted to do that.

"reps" aren't a thing when going for characters unless they specifically want a special case for the company (basing this off of Sakurai's words about Pac-Man and Namco, though he even said he wouldn't have added Pac-Man if they wouldn't let him use his classic design).

And even then, we could still get more than one character.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Vergeben was seemingly offline all day yesterday. I can confirm he was back today though. He will probably address this soon.
It's now almost been over a week since his last post on Gamefaqs. Funnily enough, the day if the direct. Before it came and did that number on his domination over the speculation scene of course.

The term "soon" has left the building regarding the situation. He's definitely pulling his old routine again he got stuff wrong constantly. And also like Soul Caliber 6.

Even if he does come back, it's clear something went terribly wrong that he can't backtrack talk his way out of this time.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
we could get two characters owned by Microsoft if Nintendo wanted to do that.

"reps" aren't a thing when going for characters unless they specifically want a special case for the company (basing this off of Sakurai's words about Pac-Man and Namco, though he even said he wouldn't have added Pac-Man if they wouldn't let him use his classic design).

And even then, we could still get more than one character.
I have to agree and disagree with you. I seriously doubt that we are getting more than one character from the same studio in this fighter pass. But I don't question that we could get a second from a studio that had DLC with the first batch of character

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
https://twinfinite.net/2019/02/squa...zation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Something for the Square thread to nosh on. Square's teasing even more announcements leading into E3.

* Reads a bit of the report *
Expected to get substantial returns in the period between October and December.
T-T-This.... Is this FFVII Remake??? Are we finally getting it this year????? 0.0
It's Final Fantasy VII Remake. Nomura, along with Kitase, just recently hinted "7" and "long awaited" and "various presentations to be released"
Here is the subrreddit thread where we are discussing it atm actually.
Square just posted that investor briefing of theirs in which they expect a big increase in revenue, in which they are indeed saying "various announcements in the leadup to this year’s E3." which obviously aligns with Nomura and Kitase's hinting. Also a reminder that their fiscal year starts on april 1st. Right now we are in q4 of fiscal year 2019 for them. So q3 of 2020 for them means q4 2019 for us. I personally believe we are getting part 1 during holiday or around the same dates we got KH3, meaning January 2020 if they follow their current pattern. I'm super hyped, I wonder if the rumor of getting an "uncovered XV" type of event for FFVII Remake is actually gonna happen in April as the rumor said, or maybe we will hear it in the already confirmed tribute event for FF7 in May. If we get anything already in March, I will lose my mind Etika style lmao.

D

Deleted member

It’s likely the FFVII remake, cause we haven’t heard anything that for a year I think. I can also see them announcing the next project by the Octopath team, perhaps a new Chrono Trigger, a remake, a sequel or something completely different.

Also sick avatar, who made it?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
* Reads a bit of the report *
Expected to get substantial returns in the period between October and December.
T-T-This.... Is this FFVII Remake??? Are we finally getting it this year????? 0.0
I hope so, but at the same time I feel like Ill be disappointed. If they are releasing the ff7 remake this year, chances are high theyve gone the multiple episodes route like a previous rumour had suggested. Idk if it was ever confirmed this was the route theyd take.

There are pros and cons with delivering it in this format, but overall Im on the fence about this approach.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It’s likely the FFVII remake, cause we haven’t heard anything that for a year I think. I can also see them announcing the next project by the Octopath team, perhaps a new Chrono Trigger, a remake, a sequel or something completely different.

Yeah, probably. That's great for their fans. Hopefully AlphaDream's next project is a SMRPG remake or sequel instead. I... I can dream... h-haha... ugh.

Also, I actually made that, haha. Thank you!

D

Deleted member

Didn't SE also got the license for developing Marvel games? I wonder if we'll see those coming from their Western studios.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The episodic format for the FFVII remake is fine in theory. If FFVII's story and gameplay are expanded and changed in positive ways, and if the epdisodes are priced fairly for what they offer, then I wouldn't have much issue with it.

My problem is, will SE actually be able to do a good job and expand upon FFVII in a good way? Considering how lackluster SE has largely been in modern times, and some of the lame stuff they tried to add to FFVII lore (I watched a Crisis Core LP and yikes), plus the fact I heavily disliked FFXV, I'm not confident SE will do the FFVII remake justice. I'd be feeling this way even if FFVII wasn't taking the episodic approach.

It's now almost been over a week since his last post on Gamefaqs. Funnily enough, the day if the direct. Before it came and did that number on his domination over the speculation scene of course.

The term "soon" has left the building regarding the situation. He's definitely pulling his old routine again he got stuff wrong constantly. And also like Soul Caliber 6.

Even if he does come back, it's clear something went terribly wrong that he can't backtrack talk his way out of this time.
I have no problem with you making your own assumptions about Vergeben's situation/credibility, i respect that (even if i find your way of putting it a bit overdramatic tbh but eh, you do you).

I just don't understand why you're quoting PolarPanda here. She said ''he will probably address this soon'', she wasn't sure about it and made no promise (also, the word 'soon' doesn't have a specific timeframe attached to it). At best it seems like you're asking Polar for news about Vergeben (in this case, 'any news about Verg?' would have sufficed) and at worst it seems like you're trying to rub Vergeben's silence in Polar's face as if she had guaranteed a response from him. Needless to say that the latter would be disrepectful, just my opinion, take it as you will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom