• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Think of it as a japanese term for indie.

So Reimu would be like Shovel Knight and Shantae in the sense that she's indie.
Honestly, the term "doujinshi" always gave me a completely different vibe, but let's not dwelve into this. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, it's not the same meaning as Indie. Doujinshi is more "fanworks". The series was created by ZUN, but he's a developer who wants other people to make fanworks of the series, just not sell them for cash in any way. He doesn't release a lot of official works as is on other systems besides the PC that can be bought. Which actually is why Reimu sounds rather unlikely, being paid DLC and all.

But yeah, it's a very profilic Indie series in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, doujinshi always gave me completely different vibes, but let's not dwelve into this. :4pacman:
I get what you mean, a few popular ones are from THAT type after all :b, but it also includes a lot of stuff different from it. Successes of indie games there is not really much different from the West, apart from Tohou, VN series like Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni started as indies if I recall correctly. Tohou is quite unique in that Zun, its creator, openly embraces people making fangames and fanworks of the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Well, it's not the same meaning as Indie. Doujinshi is more "fanworks". The series was created by ZUN, but he's a developer who wants other people to make fanworks of the series, just not sell them for cash in any way. He doesn't release a lot of official works as is on other systems besides the PC that can be bought. Which actually is why Reimu sounds rather unlikely, being paid DLC and all.

But yeah, it's a very profilic Indie series in Japan.
ZUN is one of my favorite composers of all times, and I love the guy since he let everyone use his own creations. God bless this ****ing guy
descarga.jpg

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Character/Protagonist from the Touhou Project series.
There's lots of different games with the touhou characters, The most renown touhou games are bullet-hell shoot-em-ups

Really though, they're huge. They probably are the series that has the most fan-art next to hatsune miku.
It's so big, and yet there's almost nothing of them in the west.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
ZUN is one of my favorite composers of all times, and I love the guy since he let everyone use his own creations. God bless this ****ing guy
View attachment 193288
I just wish he wouldn't go nuts over the idea of official game developers wanting to have the character in their paid game. The fact that they're fanworks otherwise should be a good reason for them to not be paid.

But, like, wasn't a Touhou-related game canned for a Nintendo system just because it'd be a paid thing? He's just that picky. He's great if you're a fan. If you're an official developer who wants to license the character for a paid game, you're almost entirely out of luck.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I just wish he wouldn't go nuts over the idea of official game developers wanting to have the character in their paid game. The fact that they're fanworks otherwise should be a good reason for them to not be paid.

But, like, wasn't a Touhou-related game canned for a Nintendo system just because it'd be a paid thing? He's just that picky. He's great if you're a fan. If you're an official developer who wants to license the character for a paid game, you're almost entirely out of luck.
Yeah, it's quite the opposite from... A logical situation right? But there's plenty of Touhou games on the Switch and PS4... But only fanmade games...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Are you referring to these or another game entirely?

The second one I remember seeing physical copies at one point so it had to be a paid game.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

The second one I remember seeing physical copies at one point so it had to be a paid game.
Both are paid games, but as Fanmade games the revenue goes to the creator of the game, not ZUN. He doesn't care about small groups making games from it

Edit:
Why+reimu+didnt+get+into+smash_bc6997_6850389.jpg

But she preffers to sleep

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, it's quite the opposite from... A logical situation right? But there's plenty of Touhou games on the Switch and PS4... But only fanmade games...
Oh, so they're all fanmade, not his official ones, right? That might be why. Weird, though.

From my understanding, those are fangames or something? I'm confused on what's going on. I must've heard wrong then. I just remember some Nintendo Touhou game getting canned.

Both are paid games, but as Fanmade games the revenue goes to the creator of the game, not ZUN. He doesn't care about small groups making games from it
Okay, that is strange. He's literally the polar opposite of what creators act normally like with their IP.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What's a Touhou Project Series?
Oops, my last post was actually supposed to be a reply to you, not sneakylink.
just letting you know :p

It's a great series for people who like girls, and they aren't wearing skimpy clothes, so i think it's a bit more tasteful than other series that only have girl casts.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Okay, that is strange. He's literally the polar opposite of what creators act normally like with their IP.
Touhou IP is a free-use-not-really-free-IP.... Because that doesn't mean there's not legal issues behing. For example, I don't think all the doujinshis that are sold in the Comiket in Japan have to deal with ZUN's Permission. But I know that Touhou cameo in Taiko no Tatsujin from Konami did.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh, so they're all fanmade, not his official ones, right? That might be why. Weird, though.

From my understanding, those are fangames or something? I'm confused on what's going on. I must've heard wrong then. I just remember some Nintendo Touhou game getting canned.

Yeah touhou is in a weird situation when it comes to who makes them, but i do think the agreements are listed somewhere for using the characters.
It's only weird because we dont see much of that around. But it does make sense in some ways; give freedom to make things with them, but credit the creator. Altho, i'm sure it's more complicated than that. It's just interesting. I was meaning to look into it more at some point, because it does seem odd legally kinda.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Touhou is basically the codifier for the bullet hell genre and Reimu is the face of the series. It's a HUGE indie series that has been going for at least a decade and has massive conventions in Japan and a pretty solid US fanbase. I'm not gonna say it created a genre, but without Touhou there'd be no Ikaruga, for example.

Reimu is a big deal, but she's also a meme character because of how popular Touhou is on 4chan. Most people, ZUN included, would likely want to see her stay an indie character. That said, Touhou music is popular especially in pretty much every Konami rhythm game (Bemani) such as Taiko no Tatsujin and Pop'n'Music. It's very unlikely she'd ever be in Smash because of how the fans and ZUN feel that her being licensed to something that big would be going against the spirit of the character.

That said, with the projectiles, awesome moveset she's had in fighting games, and spectacular music and stage she could bring (seriously, you don't get more iconic than UN Owen Was Her) she could be a great choice. Just, yknow, a totally impossible one. Reimu is to 4chan what Sans or Reckless Safety Notice Man is here, except maybe even more impossible.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Touhou IP is a free-use-not-really-free-IP.... Because that doesn't mean there's not legal issues behing. For example, I don't think all the doujinshis that are sold in the Comiket in Japan have to deal with ZUN's Permission. But I know that Touhou cameo in Taiko no Tatsujin from Konami did.
That's another area i've been wondering about. Because there's so many doujinshi based on actual characters, not just touhout, and yet i dont hear of being illegal to sell them at conventions and all that.

There's Niji sousaku doujinshi that can be sold in japan, at least to some degree
"Niji sousaku (derivative works), on the other hand, are publications that borrow pre-existing characters and/or settings. An amateur artist takes someone else's characters, puts them in interesting situations, and sells it.

This would not work in America.
"

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Oops, my last post was actually supposed to be a reply to you, not sneakylink.
just letting you know :p

It's a great series for people who like girls, and they aren't wearing skimpy clothes, so i think it's a bit more tasteful than other series that only have girl casts.
What would Reimu do?

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
RE: recommended DQ games...Dragon Quest V is the GOAT DQ game by far and 2nd place is a distant, distant second. Though if random encounters really piss you off I would recommend VIII 3DS or XI this fall.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The JSON 4chan leak smells of BS. It's really no different than any other "This was on the website for a split second but I managed to snag it and nobody else saw it" leaks that plague prerelease. Far as I know, editing a JSON file is easy and making that picture is easy. There's nothing that strikes it as particularly worthwhile of note

A Doujinshi series in which girls fight other girls with energy or something.

It's apparently super popular in Japan yet almost nonexistent elsewhere.
I wouldn't call it nonexistent elsewhere. It does have popularity and notoriety, it's just not in the place Smash fans usually dwell. It's particularly popular in the western anime community rather than the gaming community.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Reimu from Touhou and Quote from Cave Story would be my first picks as "Japanese indie characters that get into Smash" though people have already laid out the issues with the former.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think it was more than once.

But the context is people heavily harassed him, so he used a very large insult to get back at people. So him being aggravated makes sense. The word he used was awful, but there is zero justification for him being harassed. They were all in the wrong. There's no real "less wrong" here either. Verge still gets legitimate information, but like all leakers, not all if it is real. He's not a source, just a person who releases the information when a source is okay with it. He's somewhat improved over the years, but still has issues.
The only instance I remember him saying it was when he said “there’s so much tism on this board” or something like that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
He can't be an Echo Fighter cuz AVGN doesn't have a special move for abusing employees or firing them without notice like Nostalgia Critic would need.
Actually, wasn't that the guy who owns the Nostalgia Critic brand, not Doug Walker homself?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Actually, wasn't that the guy who owns the Nostalgia Critic brand, not Doug Walker homself?
I know, it's a joke.

Doug Walker isn't perfect, though. The filming of To Boldly Flee was horrible and it was partly due to him not listening to other CA members' recommendations on how to run a film shooting, even though they had actual experience with it and Doug / Rob didn't. His decisions caused many cast members to starve and one of them to pass out due to dehydration. He also wrote a **** scene in the movie that no one involved was comfortable with, and despite protests merely made the **** happen offscreen instead of removing it altogether.

He also insinuated that if certain people couldn't put out their monthly video quota for whatever genuinely good reason, then they simply "didn't work as hard as [he] did", according to at least one account.

Doug Walker / Nostalgia Critic is bad even with the knowledge of how bad his upper management was, is what I'm saying.

AVGN, meanwhile, is a genuinely cool and nice guy in real life, according to everyone who's worked with him and everyone who's met him. Kind of ironic for the guy who trailblazed the "angry guy reviews something profanely" trope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
yo guys, i copped this from the site's json file:

tenor (1).gif

Just to be clear. Doug, his brother Rob (and I believe Brad Jones aka Cinema Snob since rather recently) owns the IP together with another dude who's name is escaping me. But while Doug might not be the biggest bad guy in all the issues that has surrounded Channel Awesome for years, he is definitely not innocent. What YungLink provided above was just a small portion of it all. If you are curious about this whole stick I recommend you look up not so awesome document where you can read the whole thing there. It's not pretty, and the way that channel handled the whole controversy was certainly not professional. But I digress.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I know we've fallen off the Reimu track, but would it work if she was a free update? I know we're only getting five fighter pass characters, but theoretically couldn't we get other characters as well that they wouldn't need to announce.

Not that I believe 4chan, just floating ideas, and they technically never stated she would be fighter pass so there's still an argument to discuss.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I know we've fallen off the Reimu track, but would it work if she was a free update? I know we're only getting five fighter pass characters, but theoretically couldn't we get other characters as well that they wouldn't need to announce.

Not that I believe 4chan, just floating ideas.
More characters than the Fighter Pass is ok, I guess Nintendo could make Misc. DLC or Promotional (Like buy this and get this) sadly, I think Nintendo is using all his resources on the Fighter Pass so, I'd expect a Wave 2 or a Misc DLC on 2020 or at least, after the 4th reveal.

Top Bottom