• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The episodic format for the FFVII remake is fine in theory. If FFVII's story and gameplay are expanded and changed in positive ways, and if the epdisodes are priced fairly for what they offer, then I wouldn't have much issue with it.

My problem is, will SE actually be able to do a good job and expand upon FFVII in a good way? Considering how lackluster SE has largely been in modern times, and some of the lame stuff they tried to add to FFVII lore (I watched a Crisis Core LP and yikes), plus the fact I heavily disliked FFXV, I'm not confident SE will do the FFVII remake justice. I'd be feeling this way even if FFVII wasn't taking the episodic approach.
Advent Children, CC, DoC and even interpretations in other series have killed the franchise bc those responsible are not the same as the ones back in 1997.
I have the same pessimistic view as you, specially considering it's Tetsuya Nomura directing the entire thing. And with what they said in interviews.... yikes.
But I'm a sucker for FFVII. And who knows.. maybe they make a huge effort to bring everyone back together, but that is hard to believe. XD

Also, it's not episodic. It's going to be divided in full-length games, around the size of the XIII games, if they follow the original plan for the remake. Given that Cyberconnect2 are long gone (thank freaking goodness), maybe this structure could change altogether.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I believe it was from the E-mail from Nintendo sent to everyone who purchased a download version of smash.
Hmm, got a picture of such?
have no problem with you making your own assumptions about Vergeben's situation/credibility, i respect that
Eh? I made no assumptions. Didn't even mention his credibility in that one. I just stated the facts. He hasn't spoken in a while, and it's just like all the other times he's left a forum after getting stuff blatantly wrong.
just don't understand why you're quoting PolarPanda here. She said ''he will probably adress this soon'', she wasn't sure about it and made no promise (also, the word 'soon' don't have a specific timeframe attached to it). At best it seems like you're asking Polar for news about Vergeben (in this case, 'any news about Verg?' would have sufficed) and at worst it seems like you're trying to rub Vergeben's silence in Polar's face as if she had guaranteed a response from him. Needless to say that the latter would be disrepectful, just my opinion, take it as you will.
Oy vey. If there's one thing this game can do it's make us assume the worst of others.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I would only really quote like that just to follow up.

If the implied negative actions are what people do often around here, you have my sympathies. But no, I'm not doing it to rub it into anyone's face. Especially since I've never been one to assume someone guranteed something unless they actively say they're certain about it.

There doesn't have to be anything malicious about an update.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Btw, what do you think about today's supposed leak?
The one involving Sephiroth? Well.... they begin by saying that all companies have been negotiated with, right before plopping in an indie character who I'm not quite sure even has an official company.

Sans kinda goes against the norm with 3rd parties. They've never had someone who's not the main protagonist get in before saus protagonist.

Sephiroth sounds believable sure. Can easily see Square putting in mii costumes up the wazoo for all that sweet dlc money.

Banjo & Kazooie are in the realms of reality too. Especially if Nintendo and Microsoft want to have prolific characters like them, Master Chief, or heck, even Conker as a showing of their unity, while also being something that stands out as distinctly from Microsoft. The Minecraft music tracks seem like fair game too.

Monster Hunter? Highly doubt it given the circumstances. Besides, what represents Monster Hunter best is already in the game. Capcom has plenty of other Aces up their sleeves with upcoming game(s) this year anyway who could use the bump more.

Main issue is the leak discussing gameplay aspects about all the characters. How they'd know them all is a bit baffling.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The one involving Sephiroth? Well.... they begin by saying that all companies have been negotiated with, right before plopping in an indie character who I'm not quite sure even has an official company.

Sans kinda goes against the norm with 3rd parties. They've never had someone who's not the main protagonist get in before saus protagonist.

Sephiroth sounds believable sure.

Main issue is the leak discussing gameplay aspects about all the characters. How they'd know them all is a bit baffling.
The only characters with gameplay details were Sephiroth and Sans. Ironically, the description of the gameplay aspect reminded me slightly of that 5chan leak. The rest were details regarding plans of what would come with each character in the pack.
Maybe the wording of the guy wasn't the best, but it could just mean negotiations with Toby Fox himself given he is the owner of the rights of everything in his franchise. And the idea of not having a main character also applies to Felyne. It's definitely an unexpected list of picks, if true.

I just find it weird, if true, that the guy legit got right that two characters outside of Joker are well under way with dev.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, it's not episodic. It's going to be divided in full-length games, around the size of the XIII games, if they follow the original plan for the remake. Given that Cyberconnect2 are long gone (thank freaking goodness), maybe this structure could change altogether.
That's what I'm saying. SE kinda retracted their statement about it being episodic and went into more detail about it being in full parts. I tell people all the time: don't think of it as one game being split into parts. Think of it as one story being told in multiple installments. This probably won't stop them from calling each part 'Episode 1' or 'Episode 2' and I have a strong feeling they might. This would explain why they said it would be episodic in the first place.

I'm in the camp of believing that this is a fantastic approach for them to take. Only because it's more FFVII for me at the end of the day. :4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So, now that it's revealed that Joker will be released in April, what are the chances that the next character will be revealed at E3 and not in a general direct like some of us may have thought?! I'm starting to think they'll reveal each character one by one throughout the year!

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So, now that it's revealed that Joker will be released in April, what are the chances that the next character will be revealed at E3 and not in a general direct like some of us may have thought?! I'm starting to think they'll reveal each character one by one throughout the year!
I say that we could probably expect Fighter 2 announcement in April with Fighter 3 (and possibly 4) getting announced at E3. I doubt they will wait about half a year for the second announcement.

I made no assumptions. [...] I just stated the facts.
I don't want to have an argument about semantics but i just want to clarify what i consider as assumptions:

''He's definitely pulling his old routine again he got stuff wrong constantly''
''[...] it's clear something went terribly wrong that he can't backtrack talk his way out of this time''

An interpretation of the facts isn't a fact. Treating it as such without an undeniable proof is an assumption. Again, i think there's nothing wrong in assuming things and interpreting events, as long as people can discuss their views with respect. That's my point of view, btw know that i didn't mean to offend you in any way. If you feel like extending this conversation, i suggest we do it via private messages.

I'm not doing it to rub it into anyone's face
I simply wanted to make sure i got your intentions correctly. Thanks for clearing it up.

Just to clear up my own intentions, i didn't mean to 'assume to worst of others', just wanted to make sure PolarPanda wasn't targeted in any way.

I hope you understand.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And the idea of not having a main character also applies to Felyne.
Not necessarily. They're more of a series mascot pick.
An interpretation of the facts isn't a fact. Treating it as such without an undeniable proof is an assumption.
No seriously, look it up. Before his base roster Smash streak, he was infamous for getting things wrong and not responding after like 5 or so days having abandoned forums. He did the same with Soul Caliber 6. There's no assumption there, since it's just like what happened then. I even addressed for if he comes back.

I mean nothing mean by it. That's just what happened.
I simply wanted to make sure i got your intentions correctly. Thanks for clearing it up.

Just to clear up my own intentions, i didn't mean to 'assume to worst of others', just wanted to make sure PolarPanda wasn't targeted in any way.

I hope you understand.
Aye, fair enough man. That, I understand.

Last edited:
No seriously, look it up. Before his base roster Smash streak, he was infamous for getting things wrong and not responding after like 5 or so days having abandoned forums. He did the same with Soul Caliber 6. There's no assumption there, since it's just like what happened then. I even addressed for if he comes back.

I mean nothing mean by it. That's just what happened.
I'll send you a PM shortly about boring semantics, you asked for it :p

Aye, fair enough man. That, I understand.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No
They'll reveal Joker's drop date during a potential Smash Direct in late March, I'm sure. We may just get Fighter 2.
I simply cannot believe they'd stretch 6 full months without a character reveal.

D

Deleted member

It really depends on how Nintendo manages the DLC announcements and release, they could also very well reveal all characters in small smash-focused directs and skip E3 or TGA Smash announcements all together. There's the possibility that Nintendo didn't reveal the 2nd fighter during last direct since they didn't have it ready to show, and if I remember well, Sakurai mentioned that there would be a chance that the DLC characters wont have trailers. The February 2020 is an estimated end date for the DLC, but depending how the project goes, the last releases could come earlier than this date.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I simply cannot believe they'd stretch 6 full months without a character reveal.
I take it you weren’t around during Brawl speculation. We went for about 6 months after the Brawl trailer before we finally got a character reveal... which was Fox.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I take it you weren’t around during Brawl speculation. We went for about 6 months after the Brawl trailer before we finally got a character reveal... which was Fox.
That was then (right after the game's reveal, base game)
This is now (after the game's release, DLC with a confirmed deadline of Feb 2019)
Super different situations.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mentioned this before, but 5 characters in one year means one every 2-3 months. We got joker's reveal in december, so I think it's fair enough to assume one in march.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Bruh, that was 13 years ago.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
No
They'll reveal Joker's drop date during a potential Smash Direct in late March, I'm sure. We may just get Fighter 2.
There was five months between Ryu's reveal and Cloud's reveal.
That's not out of the ordinary.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Hmm, got a picture of such?
I couldn't find any screenshots of it. Just the texts.
It's possible to see people discussing about the mail here and there on the internet at that time. So it's not like a random person bringing it up at certain place.

Full translation of the text if you need. Nothing much though.
Seems like this was sent in 14th of December.

■□━━━━━━━━━
Message from the developers
━━━━━━━━━■□
I'm the director of Super Smash Bros. Special, Sakurai. Hello.
This game offers you a variety of ways to play so I hope you'll find anything to suit you.

When I'm in the finalization of the development, I completed collecting all the spirits by myself. Twice.
That was tough... but it was rewarding so good luck to challengers.

The team and I are now making the additional contents.
Including Joker from Persona 5 which we already announced, the next, and the next and "something" are currently in the developement.
Look forward to them!!

■□━━━━━━━━━
開発者からのメッセージ
━━━━━━━━━■□
『大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL』ディレクターの桜井です。こんにちは。
本作はさまざまな遊びができるソフトなので、肌に合う楽しみかたを見つけていただければ幸いです。

開発終盤のハナシですが、自力でスピリッツを全種そろえました。しかも二度。
過酷な道でした……が、やりがいもあったので、目指している人はがんばって!!

いま私と開発チームは、追加コンテンツを制作しています。
すでに発表した『ペルソナ5』ジョーカーも含め、次、その次と「なにか」作っている最中です。
こちらもお楽しみに!!

D

Deleted member

It's possible to see people discussing about the mail here and there on the internet at that time. So it's not like a random person bringing it up at certain place.

■□━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━■□
This game offers you a variety of ways to play so I hope you'll find anything to suit you.

When I'm in the finalization of the development, I completed collecting all the spirits by myself. Twice.

Including Joker from Persona 5 which we already announced, the next, and the next and "something" are currently in the developement.
Look forward to them!!

■□━━━━━━━━━
開発者からのメッセージ
━━━━━━━━━■□

こちらもお楽しみに!!
Thanks, but I don't quite understand the message myself. So is the message telling that in addition to Joker, that the next fighter and something is in development, or is it the next two fighters plus something?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

■□━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━■□

Look forward to them!!

■□━━━━━━━━━
開発者からのメッセージ
━━━━━━━━━■□

こちらもお楽しみに!!
This something means Son Goku is confirmed... Just kidding just kidding xD
In all seriousness... could this "something" be the modes (and maybe even more?) that they hinted at for 3.0?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Thanks, but I don't quite understand the message myself. So is the message telling that in addition to Joker, the next two fighters are in development, that the next fighter and something is in development, or is it the next two fighters plus something?
That's exactly what people were discussing about back then.
Most people interpreted it as to hinting a upcoming major update featuring new modes.
We thought Ver.2.0 would be the one.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Most people interpreted it as to hinting a upcoming major update featuring new modes.
This is pretty big find, I wonder why it wasn’t shared here though.

So not only do we know that Joker and most likely “Brave” are have been worked for quite a substantial amount of time (like most likely having models, animations, etc.) but someone else we don’t know about too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see, then its possible that the Ver.3.0, contains that something now. Ver.2.0 seems a bit weird now that it didnt have a lot besides the plant and fixes.
This is pretty big find, I wonder why it wasn’t shared here though.

So not only do we know that Joker and most likely “Brave” are pretty good in development (like most likely having models, animations, etc.) but someone else we don’t know about too.
It's very possible for 3 characters to be in development now, but nothing concrete until we get to the next direct. A few details seem to be given to the Japanese fanbase; which sometimes might be difficult to appear here given the language difference, that they are a bit cryptic even in Japanese and at the time dont seem relevant.

From the looks of it, Smash seems to have a similar update model to Splatoon and other recent Nintendo games.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There was five months between Ryu's reveal and Cloud's reveal.
That's not out of the ordinary.
The Smash 4 DLC did not have a set end-date nor as much fanfare as this if that makes sense.
The Ballot votes were being conducted as well after Ryu's reveal.
There are also not 4 other fighters they need to take care of. In 4, they did not have any deadlines or anything. They also had the Ballot serving as a constant promotion for the game and especially DLC.
Ultimate's got nothing like that. Nintendo logically needs to pump out the DLC announcements quickly in comparison.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Welp, RIP new Chrono game from the CT dev, I guess. Oninaki seems neat, though, and I wonder if anything of it will take inspiration from CT/CC.
CT was co-directed by other people that still work in the company. It could still happen

ZelDan

Smash Master
Welp, RIP new Chrono game from the CT dev, I guess. Oninaki seems neat, though, and I wonder if anything of it will take inspiration from CT/CC.
Onanaki is being made by the same team that made I am Setsuna and Lost Sphaer, nd both those games had Chrono Trigger inspiration, so I could see it happening with Onanaki as well.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Mementos IS Joker's Stage, its just been datamined.

Its happening bois and gals

Last edited:
Top Bottom