• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think every reveal in Ultimate got me pumped and, like, screaming and jumping until September. Isabelle was a cool but really slow reveal at the end of the worst Direct ever, and I don’t remember anything happening after that no sir.

(To this day I resent them because Ken on his own would have been a cool reveal)

Most Nintendo characters would get me hype, and iconic third parties as well (with some exceptions). Mostly I love obscure Nintendo characters, and if a fan darling that was seen as impossible gets in that’s extra hype to me in a ‘holy **** we did it’ way.

If we’re talking fav SE games I’m afraid I’ll have to go really stereotypical and go Chrono Trigger, FF4 and 6, and Secret of Mana. Oh, and Terranigma, so I’m somewhat original.

D

Deleted member

The leakers and insiders have been lying to us.

The remaining 4 DLC characters are the big 4.

Polar, Verge, Hitagi, and xenother

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
People have been posting this stuff in the Social thread, and I decided it would be nice to share it here:

Is there a character you guys would feel very excited, like VERY excited if they got in, to the point of almost jumping out of your seat?

Mine would be a tie between Sora and Geno. Among all video game characters I know, these 2 share the spot of my favorite character ever. I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, to the point I've even made a marathon through every KH game, one after another. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite franchise developed by Square Enix, and Sora is a very fun character to watch, I love his personality, abilities, looks, etc. Geno is my favorite character to ever appear in a Mario game, and since Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the 7 Stars was my first RPG ever, I hold very dear memories of it. I always wondered why Geno didn't appear in other games, and I felt heartbroken when I first found out about his situation. I still replay SMRPG every now and then, because I love seeing Geno and the locations of that game so much. If either one of these 2 ever got in Smash, I would literally cry like a baby. I think these are the only characters that would ever get a reaction like that from me.
Sakurai honestly doesn't need to give me that moment again. I got it 3 times in Ultimate. In 4, I was really disappointed with the roster. But Ultimate started right off with Ridley, who holds a lot of personal significance for me (I won't go into all that here) and was my original most wanted. Then King K Rool moved up to the top, and just a couple months later it was his turn. Then the main character of my all time favorite video game got in as the first dlc. All three were characters people said would never happen. I think Geno is the only character left that could make me feel like that. I mean there's pipe dreams like Zael from the last story, L'arc from arc rise fantasia, or Hiro from Minni ninjas, but no one who I'd ever consider.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
People have been posting this stuff in the Social thread, and I decided it would be nice to share it here:

Is there a character you guys would feel very excited, like VERY excited if they got in, to the point of almost jumping out of your seat?

Mine would be a tie between Sora and Geno. Among all video game characters I know, these 2 share the spot of my favorite character ever. I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, to the point I've even made a marathon through every KH game, one after another. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite franchise developed by Square Enix, and Sora is a very fun character to watch, I love his personality, abilities, looks, etc. Geno is my favorite character to ever appear in a Mario game, and since Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the 7 Stars was my first RPG ever, I hold very dear memories of it. I always wondered why Geno didn't appear in other games, and I felt heartbroken when I first found out about his situation. I still replay SMRPG every now and then, because I love seeing Geno and the locations of that game so much. If either one of these 2 ever got in Smash, I would literally cry like a baby. I think these are the only characters that would ever get a reaction like that from me.
Sephiroth, Ghirahim, Vincent, and Neku would all do that for me.

D

Deleted member

Yes. I've made countless references to my Big 3 so it feels good to actually sit down and describe why they're my Big 3.

Well first, it wasn't originally a triforce of hype. There were only two characters I really wanted for Smash 4 DLC. That was Bomberman and King K. Rool.

King K. Rool: Around Smash 4's era, I got around to playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It is a fantastic platformer with bright visuals and probably one of the best soundtracks to ever grace my ears (in which I fell in love with the music before even playing the game, which never happens with video game music). It was a great time, which was amplified when my brother and I did a co-op playthrough of Tropical Freeze. There were laughs, there was frustration, there was a lot of life grinding, and there were plenty of memorable moments. Before this, I watched the Super Gaming Brothers let's plays of DKC 1 & 2. They looked like fun games and I enjoyed the commentary at the time. The one thing I felt was missing in modern Donkey Kong was King K. Rool. He's the staple antagonist and the kremlings have so much cartoon personality in them not to be brought back. I really wanted to see how he would look when back in the modern light and I want the series to do well to this day because Tropical Freeze was such a good time. Especially if it might mean more music by legendary platformer composer David Wise. He was the first character I truly speculated for so seeing him get into Ultimate was like a huge payoff for me.

Emotionally, you can only go up from there so let's list off the Big 3 I would lose my **** over.

3. Geno: I didn't know where to emotionally go after K. Rool especially since Bomberman was deconfirmed. Suddenly, I watched TerminalMontage's Something About Geno video and my hype thrusters were back. Yeah! Let's get Geno in Smash Bros. My only exposure to Geno at this time is an anomaly. I don't know how I was introduced to this wooden robot. It had to be before 2012 when I was making a small webcomic as a hobby. One character's design was completely inspired by Geno, and it sticks to this day. I knew nothing about Super Mario RPG and Geno's role, so it was sort of weird to find out he was not a killer robot with gatling guns and sharp wings... Don't ask. Still, I supported Geno's design at the very least after watching Something About Geno because I really thought it was solid. And from more research, I ended up really loving the idea of Geno himself being a Smash representative, capping off with playing Super Mario RPG. It was weird too. Unlike Mallow who actually had a character arc dedicated to him, Geno was virtually silent. He didn't have moments that made him feel like a fleshed out character. Despite that, Geno was the best party offensive party member. His natural speed made him go first usually and you should never not stock up on Maple Syrups, so you can just Geno Beam the **** out of all random encounters. He made his impact as a practical option and I really felt something when he said goodbye while Goodbye Geno played in the background. The power of music.

2. Banjo & Kazooie: I am definitely an N64 kid. If it wasn't the Gamecube, I'd be blowing my time on iconic games like Banjo-Tooie and Super Mario 64. Just walking around the overworld was fun in those games. Banjo-Tooie left a lasting impact on me because of how unique the worlds were and how enjoyable they were to play in. I recently played Banjo-Kazooie last month and I think they're even better now than before because I now read their humorous dialogue and can appreciate what's happening on screen. I enjoyed collecting jiggies and the satisfaction of finding the last note or Jinjo by thinking outside of the box. Click Clock Woods is such a conceptually fun level and all of the other levels are like playgrounds to mess around in. They're such a big part of my memories with the N64 to where it's almost ingrained in my physiology. Despite not playing the games in years, when the Grinch leak showed them being in Smash, there was no way I could really suppress how anxious I was. I had no idea how I would feel because I really did love seeing them again even if it was in a fake leak. So even if they might not make in Smash this time around, I'm totally happy just playing their games again like the good ol' days. I at least gained something from all of this hype.

1. Bomberman: Oh my god. Bomberman would fit so perfectly in Smash Bros. His games are the chaotic free-for-all multiplayer experience. He would cause so much dumb destruction in Smash Bros. It's great to think about. Everyone had their defining mascot growing up. For me, it was definitely Mario, Banjo, or Bomberman. I grew up with Bomberman 64 and loved the **** out of that game. I played it front to back, left to right. I beat stages, I beat bosses, I beat computers in multiplayer, I experimented with bad AI, I threw the bomber bosses off the arena when I wanted to cheese them. I even collected all of the gold cards, which I hate doing now. I also played Bomberman Max 2, which introduced me to the more classic style of Bomberman, which is still incredibly fun. Nothing teaches you the valued lesson of "great power comes with great responsibility" more than having your primary attack be the source of most of your deaths. I followed the series so casually because I just love seeing Bomberman. I got those weird minigame spinoffs and even played a bit of Bomberman Tournament. He is the video game character to me. Simple, fun, effective. His assist trophy is so faithful to how he would play and I get fuzzy just looking at his animations and model.

Okay that's enough emotional gushing. Back to shooting down everyone else's dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Literally only Geno and Banjo.

... Yeah, you can see why I'm not exactly hype for the DLC this time around. I'm just intrigued at best. (PP and Joker are both sick, though, of course.)
Yeah Joker is cool, i could give a **** about pp, in fact that reveal actually made me mad. but banjo and geno are all that I want, and id gladly pay 25$ just for the two of them and get no one else.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Bomberman, Vaati, Krystal, Lip, or Isaac.

Also, Corsola, Dragonite, or Moge-ko, but those aren't going to happen.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Avatar and sig related. Not sure if it would be jumping out of my seat with excitement, but I'd definitely be stoked. Runner ups include my pipe dream wish list of Shantae and Vaati.

D

Deleted member

What's everyone's favorite Square Enix game of all time?

Mine's probably Chrono Cross, actually .
(I know, most people like chrono trigger better)
Super Mario RPG. I will definitely play Chrono Trigger eventually though

Two, and those are Geno and Ninten.

I love SMRPG so much. It's my second favorite game, and I love it because of the characters, the story, the dialogue, and the gameplay. The ending always makes me cry rivers, lol. I especially loved Geno, and I really hope he is finally playable.

The Mother series is my favorite video game series. Earthbound was the very first RPG I played, and one of the few RPGs I played blind. My 2 favorite RPGs and video games overall, Super Mario RPG and Mother 3, I loved, but there was nothing I didn't know about them before playing them. I went on to play Mother 1 as well, which was an RPG I knew some of what it was about, but not all. People didn't like it for the graphics, the battle system, and the random encounters, but, to me, it made the game what it was and I loved it for that. I really want Ninten in Smash, along with the possessed, armed, dorky, but wise and fun puppet

D

Deleted member

Bartz from Final Fantasy 5 is my absolute #1. I know he'll probably never happen but it's fun to dream I guess.
But, I've mainly been banking on a Dragon Quest character (not even just Erdrick, but really anyone) for a while now. And aside from what I put in my signature, I can't really think of many other characters that are at least within the realm of possibility. I would say Zero from Mega Man X, but... yeah.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee, Hollow Knight, Geno, Banjo, shadow, Shy Guy, shovel Knight, Tails, Waluigi, Zero, and Black Mage would do that for me. & Knuckles.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
[Note: I typed all this up as people were talking about what FF games to play for people who don't play them. I didn't feel like deleting this post since I ended up typing so much so here you go]

This might sound strange, but it's best to approach Final Fantasy as a brand rather than a series.

The main series games have less to do with each other than most other series in Smash.

None of the main characters appear in each others' games to my knowledge, and only some enemies are recurring with most of them unmemorable. I guess Chocobos and Moogles appear in most of them, with differing designs?

They also switch between having crystal motifs and not having them.

The first 5 games were set in a medieval fantasy sort of setting. 6 and 7 are steampunk and dieselpunk, respectively, a mix of fantasy and modernization. 8 and onwards were Square going "eff it, we'll do whatever."

Hironobu Sakaguchi created Final Fantasy and spearheaded the first 10 games (correction, he worked on 10 but not that much) aside from FF2. Then he left after 10. So you can't connect all 15 games with Sakaguchi, either.

Then there's the battle system, which was semi-consistent before being broken with Final Fantasy 8. Every game afterwards had a completely different one. 9 was a throwback to 4-7. 10 was turn based with your actions determining turn order. 11 and 14 are MMOs. Still not sure what 13 is. 12 and 15 are like offline MMOs in different ways, and 15 was originally going to be related to 13, before being renamed to 15 so everyone magically treats it as the new mainline entry cuz Square Enix said so. That last bit is ultimately why I view the main FF games as being united more by a brand than anything.

My advice is to learn about what each individual game in the series does, and then figure out if it's for you. I liked what I heard about 4, 6, and 7 (pretty much everyone agrees these 3 games are some of the absolute best ones) so I played and enjoyed them all. I also liked 5's take on the class system, even if by the end I was doing more grinding than I wanted to. 10 didn't reach the heights of 4/6/7 but it had that special touch to it that's also present in that trio of games. I don't like offline MMO style games so I avoided 12 and 15.

These are all examples of my own opinions, but unlike with Dragon Quest or SMT, I never felt compelled to check out the whole series because they're all so independent from each other. With DQ and SMT they all have motifs and in particular bestiaries that remain in game after game even when the central cast is always changing, plus it helps that the games play similarly for the most part, so it's natural to want to try them all if you already liked one of them. So I don't think it's wise to try to check out the WHOLE Final Fantasy series, as the only reason you'd be doing it at that point is to see what a company has learned from its previous games when it makes its next one (not creator because, again, Hironobu Sakaguchi left after 10). I think that's the attitude to have, but that's just me.

P.S. this is also why I roll my eyes whenever I hear complaining that FF7 is the most well-known one when it "should" have been [insert favorite FF game]. They're all so different from each other that none of them "deserve" to be on top more than any other. I personally don't really compare them to each other since like I said, they're all so different.

I'll recognize that 7's success is largely because it was the first game Square heavily and relentlessly promoted in advertisements everywhere since they finally had the budget, but what cemented it as an all-time classic and a marker of video game history was just how well the story was told and game progressed.

In between a clumsily translated script and whiplash between in-game and CGI graphics was a story about environmentalism, capitalist domination, the hubris of mankind trying to turn even alien beings into resources, general anxieties about humanity's effect on our planet, and philosophizing on whether humanity even deserves a redemption after all it's done. As for more personal themes, which are the ones that wisely motivate the protagonists so that we, the audience care too, there's a rivalry between a once-respected older figure and his disillusioned partner, and coming to terms with your identity amidst lost of a loved one. All these complex story beats that all have satisfying build up and payoff, despite there being SO MANY OF THEM, guiding you through the world in completely organic and thematically sensible ways, and it has one of the most genuinely well-written casts that Square has ever produced. On top of that, the Materia and Limit Break system were pretty cool even if was, mechanically, a simplified take on Final Fantasy 6's battle system.

There was no f*cking way FF7 wasn't going to become one of the most beloved and relevant games of all time, whether or not you like another FF game better. People act like it's bad or not that great, and I'm sorry but you're wrong. Point blank. It's just as upper-echelon as whatever your favorite FF game is, to deny 7's strengths is to admit you're blind to sheer care and hard work.

*and thus TheYungLink let put the mightiest "HARUMPH" the world had yet seen.*

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Bartz from Final Fantasy 5 is my absolute #1. I know he'll probably never happen but it's fun to dream I guess.
But, I've mainly been banking on a Dragon Quest character (not even just Erdrick, but really anyone) for a while now. And aside from what I put in my signature, I can't really think of many other characters that are at least within the realm of possibility. I would say Zero from Mega Man X, but... yeah.
You get a big like for Bartz, being my favorite Final Fantasy game and probably favorite RPG.
Also, hey guys. Popping in from the Shantae thread to say well, any of these SE Characters are fine by my book. Wouldn't mind any of em making it in.
Sakurai can make a lot of things work, I'm sure. Though I would like Edea Lee from Bravely Default, but that's not gonna happen.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
[Note: I typed all this up as people were talking about what FF games to play for people who don't play them. I didn't feel like deleting this post since I ended up typing so much so here you go]

This might sound strange, but it's best to approach Final Fantasy as a brand rather than a series.

The main series games have less to do with each other than most other series in Smash.

None of the main characters appear in each others' games to my knowledge, and only some enemies are recurring with most of them unmemorable. I guess Chocobos and Moogles appear in most of them, with differing designs?

They also switch between having crystal motifs and not having them.

The first 5 games were set in a medieval fantasy sort of setting. 6 and 7 are steampunk and dieselpunk, respectively, a mix of fantasy and modernization. 8 and onwards were Square going "eff it, we'll do whatever."

Hironobu Sakaguchi created Final Fantasy and spearheaded the first 10 games aside from FF2. Then he left after 10. So you can't connect all 15 games with Sakaguchi, either.

Then there's the battle system, which was semi-consistent before being broken with Final Fantasy 8. Every game afterwards had a completely different one. 9 was a throwback to 4-7. 10 was turn based with your actions determining turn order. 11 and 14 are MMOs. Still not sure what 13 is. 12 and 15 are like offline MMOs in different ways, and 15 was originally going to be related to 13, before being renamed to 15 so everyone magically treats it as the new mainline entry cuz Square Enix said so. That last bit is ultimately why I view the main FF games as being united more by a brand than anything.

My advice is to learn about what each individual game in the series does, and then figure out if it's for you. I liked what I heard about 4, 6, and 7 (pretty much everyone agrees these 3 games are some of the absolute best ones) so I played and enjoyed them all. I also liked 5's take on the class system, even if by the end I was doing more grinding than I wanted to. 10 didn't reach the heights of 4/6/7 but it had that special touch to it that's also present in that trio of games. I don't like offline MMO style games so I avoided 12 and 15.

These are all examples of my own opinions, but unlike with Dragon Quest or SMT, I never felt compelled to check out the whole series because they're all so independent from each other. With DQ and SMT they all have motifs and in particular bestiaries that remain in game after game even when the central cast is always changing, plus it helps that the games play similarly for the most part, so it's natural to want to try them all if you already liked one of them. So I don't think it's wise to try to check out the WHOLE Final Fantasy series, as the only reason you'd be doing it at that point is to see what a company has learned from its previous games when it makes its next one (not creator because, again, Hironobu Sakaguchi left after 10). I think that's the attitude to have, but that's just me.

P.S. this is also why I roll my eyes whenever I hear complaining that FF7 is the most well-known one when it "should" have been [insert favorite FF game]. They're all so different from each other that none of them "deserve" to be on top more than any other. I personally don't really compare them to each other since like I said, they're all so different.

I'll recognize that 7's success is largely because it was the first game Square heavily and relentlessly promoted in advertisements everywhere since they finally had the budget, but what cemented it as an all-time classic and a marker of video game history was just how well the story was told and game progressed.

In between a clumsily translated script and whiplash between in-game and CGI graphics was a story about environmentalism, capitalist domination, general anxieties about humanity's effect on our planet, the hubris of mankind trying to turn even alien beings into resources, philosophizing on whether humanity even deserves a redemption after all it's done, rivalry between a once-respected older figure and his disillusioned partner, and coming to terms with your identity amidst lost of a loved one. All these complex story beats that all have satisfying build up and payoff, despite there being SO MANY OF THEM, guiding you through the world in completely organic and thematically sensible ways, and it has one of the most genuinely well-written casts that Square has ever produced. On top of that, the Materia and Limit Break system were pretty cool even if was, mechanically, a simplified take on Final Fantasy 6's battle system.

There was no f*cking way FF7 wasn't going to become one of the most beloved and relevant games of all time, whether or not you like another FF game better. People act like it's bad or not that great, and I'm sorry but you're wrong. Point blank. It's just as upper-echelon as whatever your favorite FF game is, to deny 7's strengths is to admit you're blind to sheer care and hard work.

*and thus TheYungLink let put the mightiest "HARUMPH" the world had yet seen.*
Cool post, but just a correction.
X had little involvement from Sakaguchi. That game was made by the newly organized FFVIII team. You can see it in its narrative and different approach to the battle system. Some people like it.
I'm on the party of not suggesting it at all. The OST is Top 3 in the series, but the game itself is the first one to show off how S-E was becoming a thing and the series beginning its downfall.
Classic FF is I-IX. Yes, they are different between themselves, but you can see a design philosophy that is based under similar principles, with stories and characters that are quite impactful, specially considering the time they launched (II and VIII are kinda weird, but still solid)
And it's cool how you described VII, but I would reword it a bit, bc some of the themes are clearly more important than others.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
And it's cool how you described VII, but I would reword it a bit, bc some of the themes are clearly more important than others.
I suppose. I mostly wrote it cuz I wanted to clarify that FF7 is Good, because it balances so many different themes and explores and concludes them all satisfyingly, which is impressive no matter who you are. Most stories that try to have all these subplots and themes at once can't quite do them all justice, which makes it all the more miraculous that 7 does.

I'll edit my post to reword it to make it flow more strongly, I suppose. But my main point is still that it's best to view Final Fantasy as a series of individual games that stand on their own, rather than a series you need to be wholly knowledgeable in or something like that.

D

Deleted member

Look and this and tell me Bartz isn't the coolest.

I was actually never a huge fan of the idea of making him a mime. Personally I think making him a jack of all trades type using different job abilities represents him and his game a lot better.
That said though, personal opinions aside, you make an excellent point.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was actually never a huge fan of the idea of making him a mime. Personally I think making him a jack of all trades type using different job abilities represents him and his game a lot better.
That said though, personal opinions aside, you make an excellent point.
Yeah I'm a fan of the jobmaster interpretation more as well.

I especially love his references in HD games like when doing goblin punch, the invisible barrage effect appears or when casting magic, he raises his hands in the air.

But I couldn't find a cool .gif of that so this is the second best thing.

D

Deleted member

I suppose. I mostly wrote it cuz I wanted to clarify that FF7 is Good, because it balances so many different themes and explores and concludes them all satisfyingly, which is impressive no matter who you are. Most stories that try to have all these subplots and themes at once can't quite do them all justice, which makes it all the more miraculous that 7 does.

I'll edit my post to reword it to make it flow more strongly, I suppose. But my main point is still that it's best to view Final Fantasy as a series of individual games that stand on their own, rather than a series you need to be wholly knowledgeable in or something like that.
I'm of the idea that the main issue with FFVII, is not the game itself but that the compilation that surrounds it. Stuff like Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children miss a lot of the stuff that made the game great.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm of the idea that the main issue with FFVII, is not the game itself but that the compilation that surrounds it. Stuff like Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children miss a lot of the stuff that made the game great.
Oh yeah. The Compilation seems to be the number 1 reason the public consciousness seems to have turned on the original game.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Crisis core is worth a look

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Crisis core is worth a look
It isn't though. Everything important that this game has (in other words, only its final act) is explained much better with an expertly crafted nuance in the original FFVII.
CC painfully retcons some very important moments of the story, with its cringe-worthy OCs that add nothing to the mythos (only diminishes it).
Basically, the lore is a direct result of Nomura's writing of the characters in KH and AC. He later helped directly Nojima with the scenario of future games. You can see the blatant Nomura staple of convolute storytelling and cringe OCs throughout the expanded universe. CC ruins the Nibelheim incident, it adds OCs that are terrible (specially Genesis), ruined the Buster Sword's origin story and absolutely blew the subtle but not clear relationship Zack would have with Aerith (the original script left open to interpretation in a way, but the wording made it seem that her love wasn't returned).
The expanded universe portrays characters that behave absolutely out of character, from Aerith in CC to Cloud in basically everything else. And Sephiroth's return in AC was so forced, I had to actually get up from my seat, drink some water and try to reflect on how cheap it actually was. XD
And the reason for all of this is Nomura didn't write these characters. He designed them. FF creator Sakaguchi was the direct responsible for the planning of every character arc. And sadly, he isn't at S-E anymore (his absence from the company led to a lot of problems, including ones we're feeling at this very moment with the dry DLC support they gave Smash and every other game not developed by S-E).

Yes, I'm not a fan of the expanded universe.
And it's the reason why I get triggered just by seeing AC Cloud in Smash (the saddest part being most players use that hideous alt).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On favorite characters to make it in, I will say that if somehow Sofia (DQ4) can make it in, I'd be thrilled for sure :D
It's the only one I can think that might have some sliver of a chance, like possibly being a slot for erdrick. Terra is obviously a big one too that's not totally impossible. But other than that, I'd have to think about it because I'm sure there's some great characters I'd love even if they dont have a chance.

Here's the thing though, if I were to be super happy about a character, the playstyle matters a lot too, especially for the long haul and the competitive side. If there can be a character I really like and they also plays like I love, that can go such a long way. I have varied but also particular tastes too, so for some things i'm picky and other things I'm not, Anyway, looking forward to what nintendo has to offer :)

I like all final fantasy games, tho i would give ff8 a lower score. And personally I like the new directions they went, even if FF13 messed up a little on some things. I like to try interesting things in rpgs, including different battle systems. If I want something classic I know Dragon Quest has that going. :p

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It isn't though. Everything important that this game has (in other words, only its final act) is explained much better with an expertly crafted nuance in the original FFVII.
CC painfully retcons some very important moments of the story, with its cringe-worthy OCs that add nothing to the mythos (only diminishes it).
Basically, the lore is a direct result of Nomura's writing of the characters in KH and AC. He later helped directly Nojima with the scenario of future games. You can see the blatant Nomura staple of convolute storytelling and cringe OCs throughout the expanded universe. CC ruins the Nibelheim incident, it adds OCs that are terrible (specially Genesis), ruined the Buster Sword's origin story and absolutely blew the subtle but not clear relationship Zack would have with Aerith (the original script left open to interpretation in a way, but the wording made it seem that her love wasn't returned).
The expanded universe portrays characters that behave absolutely out of character, from Aerith in CC to Cloud in basically everything else. And Sephiroth's return in AC was so forced, I had to actually get up from my seat, drink some water and try to reflect on how cheap it actually was. XD
And the reason for all of this is Nomura didn't write these characters. He designed them. FF creator Sakaguchi was the direct responsible for the planning of every character arc. And sadly, he isn't at S-E anymore (his absence from the company led to a lot of problems, including ones we're feeling at this very moment with the dry DLC support they gave Smash and every other game not developed by S-E).

And it's the reason why I get triggered just by seeing AC Cloud in Smash (the saddest part being most players use that hideous alt).
I heard good things about CC but I'll take your word for it. I 100% agree with Nomura not being a good writer for the characters since you can't know everything there is to know about someone just because you drew them for a project.

I didn't like Advent Children (most people I know who do like it never played / beat the original) and I never use Cloud's AC alts. If it were up to me I'd give him alts based on adult versions of the clothes he wore when he was a child, to represent his "real" self.

As someone who knows someone who reacts incredibly badly when people don't warn her beforehand that a movie or game or something has a graphic **** scene (someone attempted to...yeah, she got away thankfully), please don't use "triggered" like that. Just say something like "it bugs me a lot" or "I hate just seeing that stupid costume," etc. it gets the same idea across.

As a side note, one thing I wish FF7 had was an upgraded version of the Buster Sword. Given all the association Cloud has with it in the years since its release, I was honestly surprised it's more or less his starting weapon and nothing more.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I actually yelled when Joker was announced. You can see it in my post history.

Sora would make me scream and actually jump out of my seat. I would maybe even cry out of happiness and excitement.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
My first game was Brawl, so I didn't have any big wants for it (I was like 8, max.)

My only wants for Smash 4 were Mega Man, Mewtwo and Little Mac. The Mega Man and Punch-Out!! series both have a special place in my heart and I screamed my not-quite-9 year old lungs out on seeing the Blue Bomber in Smash. I wanted Mewtwo because he seemed to be the most interesting Melee fighter that got cut, and seeing him was, to me, a symbol that Sakurai is the gift that keeps on giving.

Then I stopped Smash for a while after 4, but I thought Ridley and K. Rool deserved to get in. I came back hardcore for Ultimate's announcement. Geno was now 3rd on my list.

Ridley was a dream come true, and K. Rool made me jump out of my chair. After that, Geno occupied my number one slot with Fawful at second. Then I got Grinched and Banjo came in swinging, played Star Allies and Bandana Dee waddled in, and I'm playing Shantae and the Pirate's curse and 2016 DOOM.

Now my most wanted list is (in order)
Geno
Doomguy
Banjo-Kazooie
Bandana Dee
Shantae
Quote (Cave Story)
Fawful

Sorry for the wall of text!

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

The one thing for ultimate that got me bouncing was "Everyone is Here", just seeing all my favoite back and not having to worry about who made the cut was a massive relief. As newcomers go, Ridley and K.Rool were the closest we got this time around, just cause both felt like they were never gonna happen, but I'll admit my attachment began and ended at "I'm happy for their fans", Geno, Lloyd, and Banjo (Waluigi/Isaac too despite them being AT'd) are the same to a lesser extent for me this time around. As for previous games my Hypest moments were Megaman, PacMan (specifically seeing the old design), and Mewtwo's triumphant return, and in Brawl just seeing Mario vs Sonic made me go nuts.

The only two characters that could really get me that excited again would be either Rayman or Wonder Red (but I also doubt the latter will ever happen either), the former being the last game I played hardcore as a child and the latter being in my top fave games of all time - and the only one that I can even imagine having a fighter in smash if they don't already-.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I heard good things about CC but I'll take your word for it. I 100% agree with Nomura not being a good writer for the characters since you can't know everything there is to know about someone just because you drew them for a project.

I didn't like Advent Children (most people I know who do like it never played / beat the original) and I never use Cloud's AC alts. If it were up to me I'd give him alts based on adult versions of the clothes he wore when he was a child, to represent his "real" self.

As someone who knows someone who reacts incredibly badly when people don't warn her beforehand that a movie or game or something has a graphic **** scene (someone attempted to...yeah, she got away thankfully), please don't use "triggered" like that. Just say something like "it bugs me a lot" or "I hate just seeing that stupid costume," etc. it gets the same idea across.

As a side note, one thing I wish FF7 had was an upgraded version of the Buster Sword. Given all the association Cloud has with it in the years since its release, I was honestly surprised it's more or less his starting weapon and nothing more.
The good things people talk about are usually Zack's own character, which is quite relatable, but it's the case bc of how he is the only grounded character in an otherwise chaotic and nonsensical storyline. The other stuff regard the events that set the stage for the events of the original game. To me, the one extremely emotional thing was the epilogue of the game, that was basically the intro of the original game. They made that epic. But once you analyse it objectively, the game's features are more founded on content that is much better exposed in the original game rather than truly original content. I don't want to get into spoilers in case some people here try it out, but they wrote the OCs forcefully into the story and made them vital to some scenes that never needed them. The villain influenced Sephiroth's downfall, which downgrades Seph's backstory tenfold and takes away a lot of what made his descent to madness so impactful. The romance that had some subtlety is now shoved in your face by an out of character Aerith. It's depressing.

Yes. I would recolor them as well to represent other characters. That child clothes are a very nice touch. Excelent idea dude.

Huh. Don't take this as an offense, but I didn't understand the relation of the word with the case you described and how it diminishes it, considering the meaning of the word I learned from (English is not my first language) is the same as the expressions you gave as examples that I should use instead, but in respect, I won't use it.

FF has that "issue". They have the iconic weapons of their characters as starting weapons, but you get newer ones until the Ultimate Weapon that is completely different from the original. But I see it more as a gamefied version of the character's progression, and as such, it makes the player's levelling up and growing in strength visible through the weaponry. But I agree, the final sword should be the Buster Sword, given the importance and symbol it carries.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
What makes me curious is the fact that Sm4sh never got to the 2.0.0. mark. And the only Nintendo game that I know got past 2.0.0. was Kirby Star Allies, which stopped at 4.0.0. and they added a lot of stuff to that game. 10 characters, 2 new game modes, almost 20 new songs, updated Story Mode, new features... I hope Smash Ultimate gets this type of update, this way we can maybe get some returning modes like For Glory and Smash Run, as well as some new stuff. Only time will tell.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What's everyone's favorite Square Enix game of all time?

Mine's probably Chrono Cross, actually .
(I know, most people like chrono trigger better)
In no particular order: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X & X-2, Kingdom Hearts II, Dragon Quest VIII & Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well we'll either get a Direct with news or a Crafted World stage with 2.0.0 if this leak is real.

Either way, it has a lifetime of a week
The leak is a clear fake, and that's pretty much already been addressed by the fact that it was typed vs. copied from the Nintendo Press website (as it is a purported 'press release'), along with the math for pricing being completely wrong.

That being said, yes, yes, it is finally happening. PLANT GANG, RISE UP.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

It's nice to see that someone agrees that the AC costume is trash compared to the original design.

D

Deleted member

Found this a moments ago:
Seems Metroid Prime 4 is long ways now...

Top Bottom