• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

What's everyone's favorite Square Enix game of all time?

Mine's probably Chrono Cross, actually .
(I know, most people like chrono trigger better)
Chrono Trigger is probably the one I like it the most, closely followed by DQV.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Do I need to spell it out? With my profile pic and everything? XP
Hahahaha

Chrono Cross is a game I need to play in its entirety. It didn't engage me as Trigger, but it was serviceable
Cross is really different. To me the story was more complex and odd, which I liked. Trigger was good but simple.
I really like the sheer amount of characters to get, as well as more options in battle. Also, magic doesn't cost mp so you dont have to 'conserve', which I really like, I also like other things like the music. Another maybe odd thing when most people love trigger's music so much.

At this point?

Nier Automata.
I personally think the original Nier edges it sliiiiiiiightly in terms of story, but that's totally eclipsed from how utterly fantastic the gameplay in Automata is.
I almost forgot about the first one. I havent finished it. That'd be something I could play sometime. I'm sure I'd like automata better.

Mine is The World Ends With You for the DS.
Neat to see everyone having different ones.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Honestly, I think Dragon Quest 11. I haven't finished it yet but it's rare I get this entranced in a game. It's so much better than the other DQ games I've played. I'd play it right now but I've got a contagious virus and I'm playing it with my fiancee, so no DQ 11 for me until Monday at least. It still hasn't cracked my top ten, but it might by the end.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
lol, well since we are in a joking mood… Zero just revealed he was given an early english copy of KH3. Incoming theorists thinking it means something for Sora (which I wish… but I know it doesn't, sadly, lol)
Yep, someone just posted this theory on r/smashbros. Good call

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Amen to that my friend.
The pain of holding out hope for Paper Mario for 4 years was too much which is part of the reason I advocate for Geno foremost now.
Hang in there.
And to be clear I sincerely mean it when I say I'd love to see Geno in Smash.

It's just, for most Geno fans, its because of stuff like "SMRPG was my first EVER role playing game" or "it gave me a Mario game with an actual story" or "I grew up with Geno because SMRPG was a formative game from when I was a real little kid." And for me, that's Paper Mario, specifically Paper Mario for the N64. It was my first video game with a story (I never played Zelda, somehow), my first RPG, and my most treasured childhood game.

If Geno got in (with Mallow, hopefully, miraculously), I'd be ecstatic. I love Super Mario RPG and have played it about 4 times. I'd love to see a character so many users on Smashboards are super passionate about finally getting their wish granted. I'd love to see the progenitor of all the RPGs with Mario in them represented in Smash. I'd love duking it out with that sweet Yoko Shimomura SMRPG soundtrack (hopefully we don't just get Beware the Forest Mushrooms) while firing finger bullets and shooting arm cannon lasers.

But in the end I'd be happy that OTHER people got what they wanted.

Again.

I'm okay with this. So much of Smash's roster is filled with really awesome choices. But for like, 95% of them, I view them with one of two lenses:
  1. "Hey, they're from a game I played recently, look at 'em go!"
  2. "Oh yeah, I've heard a LOT about this game / character, it makes so much sense that they'd be here! Man, look at this cast!"
I've never been able to go:
  • "Omigosh omigosh OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOSH YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS I'VE WANTED THEM SO BADLYYYYYYYYYYY YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS *jumps up in down / shakes in my seat rendered speechless with hype*"
I 100% understand Geno fans would absolutely react like that. I wouldn't, and that's okay, I'd default to the first 2 lenses and enjoy myself. But this more or less explains why I'd like Paper Mario more.

The closest I've ever been like that third lens is with Cloud, but I played FF7 for the first time a few years before his reveal and never thought he'd be in Smash, so I never wanted or hoped for him. My reaction was all shock, no payoff, and I hadn't been hoping for him since literally the Brawl era. I will probably react like this should a Dragon Quest character get in since even though I only got into the series recently it already occupies a special place in my heart, but I also want to experience something like that with a Nintendo character, which for me is Paper Mario.

Regardless, Geno and Paper Mario are in similar straits. They both have the odds stacked against them. "They've only been in one game and aren't even owned by Nintendo." "We already have 2 Marios, we don't need a third!" "We already have Mario in Smash, and he represents Mario RPG and Paper Mario just fine, he was LITERALLY the protagonist of both games you guys!"

That said, Geno has the advantage of Sakurai explicitly wanting him (even if he only said it one time) and it's very clear that Sakurai would represent his moveset just right. Paper Mario, however, has gone through a dodgy period these days with Sticker Star and Color Splash, so while I want Paper Mario I don't know if I want whatever moveset Sakurai would give him: would he downplay the partners we love so much in favor of sticker and paint gimmicks? Would he just make Paper Mario a floaty Mario clone to represent that he's made of paper, if that's all Sakurai sees in PM? So while the Paper Mario series has enjoyed ongoing success despite fans' mixed opinions on the latest 2 games, I'm more anxious that I'm not sure Sakurai's theoretical implementation of Paper Mario would be to my liking (when we finally got a Paper Mario stage, it was based 2/3 on Sticker Star). Personally I'm okay if sticker and paint gimmicks were in his kit as long as they weren't as prominent as his partners / battle abilities from the first couple of games. But again, that's all up in the air.

Anyway I just wanted to get all that off my chest. It's a dark time currently to want Paper Mario in Smash. I know how hard it is for Geno fans right now, too, with all the Erdrick you hear from everywhere. I'm gonna excuse this splurge of text with the excuse that Paper Mario was originally going to be called Super Mario RPG 2 so I get off scot free!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

CLAPS HANDS TOGETHER
FORTUNE STREET

No, but seriously, I have none and that's mainly because I haven't played a lot that really affected me, and Dragon Quest, while nostalgic, was not on my mind until now.

I played and liked Super Mario RPG, and technically that would be my favorite because it's the only SE game I beat, but it's so basic and mind-numbing to play to where I think I should hold off before assigning an emotional tag. (The set pieces made up for the gameplay.)

I want to play Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 and Dragon Quest 5 & 8 when I have the time and means this summer. You'll get my opinions on them later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And to be clear I sincerely mean it when I say I'd love to see Geno in Smash.

It's just, for most Geno fans, its because of stuff like "SMRPG was my first EVER role playing game" or "it gave me a Mario game with an actual story" or "I grew up with Geno because SMRPG was a formative game from when I was a real little kid." And for me, that's Paper Mario, specifically Paper Mario for the N64. It was my first video game with a story (I never played Zelda, somehow), my first RPG, and my most treasured childhood game.

If Geno got in (with Mallow, hopefully, miraculously), I'd be ecstatic. I love Super Mario RPG and have played it about 4 times. I'd love to see a character so many users on Smashboards are super passionate about finally getting their wish granted. I'd love to see the progenitor of all the RPGs with Mario in them represented in Smash. I'd love duking it out with that sweet Yoko Shimomura SMRPG soundtrack (hopefully we don't just get Beware the Forest Mushrooms) while firing finger bullets and shooting arm cannon lasers.

But in the end I'd be happy that OTHER people got what they wanted.

Again.

I'm okay with this. So much of Smash's roster is filled with really awesome choices. But for like, 95% of them, I view them with one of two lenses:
  2. "Oh yeah, I've heard a LOT about this game / character, it makes so much sense that they'd be here! Man, look at this cast!"
  • "Omigosh omigosh OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOSH YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS I'VE WANTED THEM SO BADLYYYYYYYYYYY YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS *jumps up in down / shakes in my seat rendered speechless with hype*"
I 100% understand Geno fans would absolutely react like that. I wouldn't, and that's okay, I'd default to the first 2 lenses and enjoy myself. But this more or less explains why I'd like Paper Mario more.

The closest I've ever been like that third lens is with Cloud, but I played FF7 for the first time a few years before his reveal and never thought he'd be in Smash, so I never wanted or hoped for him. My reaction was all shock, no payoff, and I hadn't been hoping for him since literally the Brawl era. I will probably react like this should a Dragon Quest character get in since even though I only got into the series recently it already occupies a special place in my heart, but I also want to experience something like that with a Nintendo character, which for me is Paper Mario.

Regardless, Geno and Paper Mario are in similar straits. They both have the odds stacked against them. "They've only been in one game and aren't even owned by Nintendo." "We already have 2 Marios, we don't need a third!" "We already have Mario in Smash, and he represents Mario RPG and Paper Mario just fine, he was LITERALLY the protagonist of both games you guys!"

That said, Geno has the advantage of Sakurai explicitly wanting him (even if he only said it one time) and it's very clear that Sakurai would represent his moveset just right. Paper Mario, however, has gone through a dodgy period these days with Sticker Star and Color Splash, so while I want Paper Mario I don't know if I want whatever moveset Sakurai would give him: would he downplay the partners we love so much in favor of sticker and paint gimmicks? Would he just make Paper Mario a floaty Mario clone to represent that he's made of paper, if that's all Sakurai sees in PM? So while the Paper Mario has enjoyed ongoing success despite fans' mixed opinions on the latest 2 games, I'm more anxious that I'm not sure Sakurai's theoretical implementation of Paper Mario would be to my liking (when we finally got a Paper Mario stage, it was based 2/3 on Sticker Star). Personally I'm okay if sticker and paint gimmicks were in his kit as long as they weren't as prominent as his partners / battle abilities from the first couple of games. But again, that's all up in the air.

Anyway I just wanted to get all that off my chest. It's a dark time currently to want Paper Mario in Smash. I know how hard it is for Geno fans right now, too, with all the Erdrick you hear from everywhere. I'm gonna excuse this splurge of text with the excuse that Paper Mario was originally going to be called Super Mario RPG 2 so I get off scot free!
Paper Mario is one of my very favorite series.
64, TTYD, SPM, I love them all to death.

Go off my friend.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
CLAPS HANDS TOGETHER
FORTUNE STREET

No, but seriously, I have none and that's mainly because I haven't played a lot that really affected me, and Dragon Quest, while nostalgic, was not on my mind until now.

I played and liked Super Mario RPG, and technically that would be my favorite because it's the only SE game I beat, but it's so basic and mind-numbing to play to where I think I should hold off before assigning an emotional tag. (The set pieces made up for the gameplay.)

I want to play Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 and Dragon Quest 5 & 8 when I have the time and means this summer. You'll get my opinions on them later.
I actually did love kingdom hearts a LOT at the time. I'd like to finish 2 at some point, I just dont feel the same about the series right now, but maybe that'll change again sometime.

And, mario rpg can be your favorite just for now :p faves can change.
FF6 was pretty cool too for back then.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Cross is really different. To me the story was more complex and odd, which I liked. Trigger was good but simple.
I really like the sheer amount of characters to get, as well as more options in battle. Also, magic doesn't cost mp so you dont have to 'conserve', which I really like, I also like other things like the music. Another maybe odd thing when most people love trigger's music so much.

I almost forgot about the first one. I havent finished it. That'd be something I could play sometime. I'm sure I'd like automata better.

Neat to see everyone having different ones.
Not weird at all.
The music was its strongest point for me.

I actually did love kingdom hearts a LOT at the time. I'd like to finish 2 at some point, I just dont feel the same about the series right now, but maybe that'll change again sometime.

About what you said regarding KH, I feel the exact same way.
Like, I have an emotional attachment because of memories and stuff, as well as Disney characters showing with FF (now rarely a thing, when it even happens).
But the writing is absolutely off to me. The narrative is inconsistent and convoluted. Heck, I think people might be a bit disappointed with some things that KHIII will present, imo.
I love to this day the first game. Simple, but very well executed. The story, world building and mystery were just right.
The cameos weren't that bad (even though I still hate Cloud in this game) and the music was excellent. Nothing was too over the top, and everything made sense in-universe. Today I follow it, but it always feels like fanfic that Nomura comes up with as he goes along. It's not the same feeling as the first one, and my feelings toward the series isn't the same at all.

Honestly, I think Dragon Quest 11. I haven't finished it yet but it's rare I get this entranced in a game. It's so much better than the other DQ games I've played. I'd play it right now but I've got a contagious virus and I'm playing it with my fiancee, so no DQ 11 for me until Monday at least. It still hasn't cracked my top ten, but it might by the end.
Once you get to the ending and realize its meaning, it might get to your top 10. :3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So honest anecdote. I've never played a Final Fantasy game before. Like you think my knowledge of DQ might be small, but it doesn't compare to what I know of Final Fantasy. Specifically, the games that are not 4 and 6. I've only really watched let's plays. Ironically, most Americans introduction to RPGs was to Final Fantasy while mine was to Dragon Quest. Figure that out lol.

And no I don't count Crystal Chronicles, the spinoff game. I don't even remember how much I enjoyed it growing up, but it has a soothing soundtrack.

I want to get into the series but the biggest hurdles are
1) I know there are class systems and I just cannot stand them. I'd rather the game give me the characters, game mechanics, and set abilities and allow me to play with them instead of changing them.
2) They usually vary in quality. It's not uncommon for fans to have different favorite games. I'm completely unwilling to try out the NES games so that really leaves me with 7 & 9 because I've already seen the stories of FF 4 & 6

D

Deleted member

it's at times like these I wish I had a PS4 to play some Kingdom Hearts since I've always wanted to get into the series. I tried the first one but a lot of things happened and I never got to finish it and that's why I hope they port the Kingdom Hearts games to the switch.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

So far?
Chrono Trigger.
Like I think I did myself a disservice making CT my 2nd jRPG. (Then again, it Made me a fan of the genre).

I was obsessed with Chrono Cross in the past. But I always felt it came one step short from being as good as its predecessor.
It's still one of my favorite games. I especially love the Battle System and how you can distribute your stamina points however you want to make many weak attacks, one strong one, or mix it up.

But back to Trigger. There's just so many reasons why I think it goes unrivaled.

- Greatest Time travel Story ever told.
- The soundtrack, OMG. I could make that my Life's soundtrack.
- The dual/triple techs.
- The character development. (Seriously, I pretty much consider the CT cast my highschool buddies)
- The added FMV cutscenes
- The many multiple endings.
- The level of interaction (the trial, anyone?)

And I could go on. I honsestly think it's the perfect game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So honest anecdote. I've never played a Final Fantasy game before. Like you think my knowledge of DQ might be small, but it doesn't compare to what I know of Final Fantasy. Specifically, the games that are not 4 and 6. I've only really watched let's plays. Ironically, most Americans introduction to RPGs was to Final Fantasy while mine was to Dragon Quest. Figure that out lol.

And no I don't count Crystal Chronicles, the spinoff game. I don't even remember how much I enjoyed it growing up, but it has a soothing soundtrack.

1) I know there are class systems and I just cannot stand them. I'd rather the game give me the characters, game mechanics, and set abilities and allow me to play with them instead of changing them.
2) They usually vary in quality. It's not uncommon for fans to have different favorite games. I'm completely unwilling to try out the NES games so that really leaves me with 7 & 9 because I've already seen the stories of FF 4 & 6
Makes sense. everyone's had different ones they started with. Dragon Warrior was pretty popular on nes, so a lot of people did actually play that one.

Only FF3 and FF5 have class systems, which is less than the DQ games.
It's true tho, FF games are way different from each other than DQ ones. FF8 to me was really not as good, tho I still enjoyed it. FF13 just took too long to get somewhere, but other than that there's lots I liked about it. I mean... there's so much we could say about the FF games, but really if someone watches a bit of gameplays they should figure out if they might like it i think.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Go for VII, as it's the most digestible in terms of system. The game doesn't have a raw class system, and each character, while having affinity to certain abilities, can be customized as you like. The Materia system is marvellous, and the story is absolutely top tier. It's in the same vein as VI, but with a more central protagonist, and a grander story.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

I'd say the best places to start in my opinion is 4,6,7,9,10,
Since you don't wanna deal with class systems avoid these like the plague
And these are just bad places to start
2,8,12,13 anything,Type Zero,1,10-2
This is just my opinion but from what I know and played these are some things you'd have to go off of when picking a final fantasy

D

Deleted member

Ah man. This post actually makes me want to switch Geno out for Paper Mario for my Big 3, but then I remembered I'm not sure how Sakurai will implement Paper Mario so it's kind of conflicting.

But damn man. I feel sympathetic. I grew up with Brawl's hype cycle, and that was before I ever got into speculation. As a result, I took what came my way because I was able to recognize them all.

"Meta Knight? Cool!"
"Wario from WarioWare!? lol fart" (To this day, the WarioWare stage is still one of my favorites casually)
"Huh. It's Ike. That one guy I saw when I went over to my friend's place. Okay."
"Hey! It's Diddy Kong from Donkey Kong 64! He has the popgun and jetpack!"
"OH MY GOD IT'S SONIC"
"OH MY GOD IT'S OLIMAR"
"OH MY GOD IT'S WIND WAKER"

Yeah. Brawl was legendary. I already got my dream characters before I knew I wanted them lol. The only time I was truly truly hype in Smash 4 was for, Megaman, Mii Fighters, and Pac-Man. (Damn shame we didn't get the Pac Maze back in Ultimate. I don't even know about Pac Land.)

And then King K Rool was all I needed to convince me Ultimate was worth my time. When the Crocodile Isle showed up for his final smash, I shouted, "OH MY GOD IT'S DK 64!!!"

Hope you get your character mate.

D

Deleted member

Makes sense. everyone's had different ones they started with. Dragon Warrior was pretty popular on nes, so a lot of people did actually play that one.

Only FF3 and FF5 have class systems, which is less than the DQ games.
It's true tho, FF games are way different from each other than DQ ones. FF8 to me was really not as good, tho I still enjoyed it. FF13 just took too long to get somewhere, but other than that there's lots I liked about it. I mean... there's so much we could say about the FF games, but really if someone watches a bit of gameplays they should figure out if they might like it i think.
Go for VII, as it's the most digestible in terms of system. The game doesn't have a raw class system, and each character, while having affinity to certain abilities, can be customized as you like. The Materia system is marvellous, and the story is absolutely top tier. It's in the same vein as VI, but with a more central protagonist, and a grander story.
This is just my opinion but from what I know and played these are some things you'd have to go off of when picking a final fantasy
Yeah. All of the suggestions line up to what I know. I'll try out FF 7 when I get the chance. Other than the key death and final omni flash, I really do not know what goes on there, so I'm actually interested in it. Actually, I brought my Switch to college so I'll get it on the Eshop if it's released this semester. If I end up enjoying 7, I might move onto 9 or 6. We'll have to see. Thanks, y'all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say that 1 has a class system, since you just pick your classes/characters at the start. Basically the only way to screw it up is if you pick only mages or something like that :p even then i've seen people do all kinds of challenges like picking only thieves.

12 is great for people who like mmo-like combat.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

NieR Gestalt.

Sure, Automata has that tasty Platinum Games combat and wew 2B and everything but there was something truly magical about playing Gestalt the first time.

The way the town hub has a gentle guitar playing and then Devola's singing kicks in when you approach the fountain. I actually spent a good 30 minutes just listening to her sing Song of the Ancients.

I could go on and on about the game but I'll just leave you with the one thing that Automata will never have:

Boar Drifting.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say that 1 has a class system, since you just pick your classes/characters at the start. Basically the only way to screw it up is if you pick only mages or something like that :p even then i've seen people do all kinds of challenges like picking only thieves.

I've seen gameplay of 1. You're right in that classes are never an issue as long as you have a decent composition for your party at the start. I have a hard time getting into NES games that will make me sit down and play for a while. Too after-its-time to really engage me, you know?

I know nothing about MMOs. I hear FF 14 is where to go if I want an FF MMO but I think FF 12 is a linear RPG while 14 is actually an MMO.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

It was just my bad I remembered one wrong but I'd still say avoid unless your really down with old school NES hard

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
To be quite honest, even though I liked most of Ultimate's additions, I will admit that couldn't feel anything when they were revealed, for one reason or another:
Daisy? No real interest in her.
Ridley? I was more afraid of him not happening than the actual result. You know how irony is at times.
Simon? I actually took my time to play the original Castlevania, so when seeing his trailer, I could tell it was him with all the bosses in the trailer.
Chrom and Dark Samus? People noticed Samus and Ike lost their alt-colours resembling those characters.
King K. Rool? We got a tiny montage of many NIntendo characters fighting their respective villains before moving the picture to Donkey Kong.
Isabelle? Explicitly mentioned Smash at the beginning of her trailer.
Ken and Incineroar? Ring arena was way too obvious, that and that I could tell Incineroar's eyes from the shadows.
The only real surprise in base roster was Richter, and I only knew him at the time because of Symphony of the Night, so I couldn't recognize him at first.
Leaks helped take the surprise out too, but even without them, all cinematic trailers were way too blatant.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've seen gameplay of 1. You're right in that classes are never an issue as long as you have a decent composition for your party at the start. I have a hard time getting into NES games that will make me sit down and play for a while. Too after-its-time to really engage me, you know?

I know nothing about MMOs. I hear FF 14 is where to go if I want an FF MMO but I think FF 12 is a linear RPG while 14 is actually an MMO.
Yes. It's just they adopted a battle system similar to traditional mmos for 12. You can move one character around all the time instead of being fixed somewhere, but once you set a command your character will automatically move to the enemy. Positioning matters, but not as much as an action game. If that makes you curious I recommend checking some videos of it.

And yeah, not everyone is able to get into old school stuff. It's more plain in some ways.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be quite honest, even though I liked most of Ultimate's additions, I will admit that couldn't feel anything when they were revealed, for one reason or another:
Daisy? No real interest in her.
Ridley? I was more afraid of him not happening than the actual result. You know how irony is at times.
Simon? I actually took my time to play the original Castlevania, so when seeing his trailer, I could tell it was him with all the bosses in the trailer.
Chrom and Dark Samus? People noticed Samus and Ike lost their alt-colours resembling those characters.
King K. Rool? We got a tiny montage of many NIntendo characters fighting their respective villains before moving the picture to Donkey Kong.
Isabelle? Explicitly mentioned Smash at the beginning of her trailer.
Ken and Incineroar? Ring arena was way too obvious, that and that I could tell Incineroar's eyes from the shadows.
The only real surprise in base roster was Richter, and I only knew him at the time because of Symphony of the Night, so I couldn't recognize him at first.
Leaks helped take the surprise out too, but even without them, all cinematic trailers were way too blatant.
Not even Joker surprised you?

Yes. It's just they adopted a battle system similar to traditional mmos for 12. You can move one character around all the time instead of being fixed somewhere, but once you set a command your character will automatically move to the enemy. Positioning matters, but not as much as an action game. If that makes you curious I recommend checking some videos of it.
I'm curious, but I don't want to disorient myself by checking out multiple games in the series. I'll stick with 7 and expand, which is how I normally do things.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Not even Joker surprised you?
I was talking about the base roster only. Of course, Piranha Plant and Joker both surprised me, and in the latter's case, I wasn't even watching the stream, some people at different places started to share the picture with Joker's hand holding the Smash letter, and then I kind of lost it (in a "mad inside, calm outside" way) and waited for Youtube to upload whatever was making people so noisy.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
People have been posting this stuff in the Social thread, and I decided it would be nice to share it here:

Is there a character you guys would feel very excited, like VERY excited if they got in, to the point of almost jumping out of your seat?

Mine would be a tie between Sora and Geno. Among all video game characters I know, these 2 share the spot of my favorite character ever. I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, to the point I've even made a marathon through every KH game, one after another. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite franchise developed by Square Enix, and Sora is a very fun character to watch, I love his personality, abilities, looks, etc. Geno is my favorite character to ever appear in a Mario game, and since Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the 7 Stars was my first RPG ever, I hold very dear memories of it. I always wondered why Geno didn't appear in other games, and I felt heartbroken when I first found out about his situation. I still replay SMRPG every now and then, because I love seeing Geno and the locations of that game so much. If either one of these 2 ever got in Smash, I would literally cry like a baby. I think these are the only characters that would ever get a reaction like that from me.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
People have been posting this stuff in the Social thread, and I decided it would be nice to share it here:

Is there a character you guys would feel very excited, like VERY excited if they got in, to the point of almost jumping out of your seat?

Mine would be a tie between Sora and Geno. Among all video game characters I know, these 2 share the spot of my favorite character ever. I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, to the point I've even made a marathon through every KH game, one after another. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite franchise developed by Square Enix, and Sora is a very fun character to watch, I love his personality, abilities, looks, etc. Geno is my favorite character to ever appear in a Mario game, and since Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the 7 Stars was my first RPG ever, I hold very dear memories of it. I always wondered why Geno didn't appear in other games, and I felt heartbroken when I first found out about his situation. I still replay SMRPG every now and then, because I love seeing Geno and the locations of that game so much. If either one of these 2 ever got in Smash, I would literally cry like a baby. I think these are the only characters that would ever get a reaction like that from me.
A few, actually.
Sephiroth, Tifa, Pauline (RIP), Ghirahim (RIP), Bomberman (RIP), Krystal (RIP), Porky, Masked Man, Cpt. Toad (RIP).
As you can see, the better part of the list was shot down already. X'P

I actually have one more, but it's so out there, not even a videogame originated character, that it's not even worth bringing up. Hahaha

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was talking about the base roster only. Of course, Piranha Plant and Joker both surprised me, and in the latter's case, I wasn't even watching the stream, some people at different places started to share the picture with Joker's hand holding the Smash letter, and then I kind of lost it (in a "mad inside, calm outside" way) and waited for Youtube to upload whatever was making people so noisy.
Funnily enough, the only character that really shook me (other than DLC) was King K. Rool. I actually didn't catch the intro where the heroes were fighting the villains, which is why I was expecting something like Monster Hunter. They already showed off Rathalos so I thought it was a sure-in. Then K. Rool's ****ing shadow emitted and I lost my ****. Then Dedede fooled me and I was salty as Hell before the King jumped out and clawed the **** out of Dedede's head. It was a rollercoaster that can only be visually described as a sin wave of emotion.

That and Richter because I was not expecting him to just show up as Bloodlines started playing in the background. Good ****.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

I never jump when reacting to that kind of stuff, and I'm very easy to impress. At best, I end up either shouting or gasping so hard, people close to me think I'm suffocating. But if I had to take one possible character and think to myself: "Yeah, I'm so gonna go wild on this", is if any Darkstalkers came in. No one would see that happening unless Nintendo and Sakurai are willing to scrap a bit further on the third-party franchises barrel.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Literally only Geno and Banjo.

... Yeah, you can see why I'm not exactly hype for the DLC this time around. I'm just intrigued at best. (PP and Joker are both sick, though, of course.)

D

Deleted member

Probably something like Pyramid Head from Silent Hill would make me jump from my seat, that **** is scary. Now seriously, as being excited it would probably be either Erdrick or Ryu Hayabusa. As DQ is one of my favorite series and Ninja Gaiden making my blood pump when Im playing it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Geno, Paper Mario...or Dragonborn.

D

Deleted member

Just Banjo and Geno, the other characters I wanted got Deconfirmed or have 0% to get in. So this DLC is not for me basically. I'm happy for others and at best will get Piranha plant and maybe a character I am interested in.

ZelDan

Smash Master
TBH In don't think there was any Ultimate reveal that got me super excited. My favorite inclusion easily thus far has been the Castlevania stuff, but that got leaked the day before lol. K Rool was a great addition and I was happy to see DKC finally get another rep, but I was always more of a Dixie supporter than K Rool.

I don't know if there will ever be anything to match how I felt when I saw Cloud and Bayonetta get into Smash 4. Now THEY surprised and excited the **** out of me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Any of these would make me fall of my seat out of hype.
Mike Jones (StarTropics) I have wanted him since I discovered Smash. Very very dear game to me, which oh surprise, doesn't get the recognition it deserves. :(

A Dragon Quest character (mostly any protagonist) (I think I've said enough here)

Crono (Chrono Trigger) Chrono Trigger is also a game that's very dear to me. After being a die hard fan of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, I can tell how both ideologies blend so well to form what should be considered an international treasure. I'm grateful for having lived in an age where I got to experience this game.

Doomguy (Doom, especially if based off the Classic 2) It was my first hardcore PC game. After playing a bit of puzzles, and storybook PC games as a kid, I stumbled upon Doom. Oh boy I adored it. But I also knew I couldn't let my parents find out I was playing it. Having Doomguy in Smash would be heavensent (... Or should I Say, hellsent?) With it's firey-headbanging heavy metal music and his iconic arsenal, it would be a dream come true.

Bonus:
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) or Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Because we don't have a proper badass Ninja. (Sorry Sheik and Greninja!)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think my biggest positive reaction is Simon, but even then it's more like a "Oh finally, it's about time that happened."

Top Bottom