• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

osby

Smash Obsessed
Aha! Thanks, I like drawing- there was one for Erdrick and Sora, when I though either of them would be the TGA reveals- there it is, even though it was a quick sketch, it's still nice to see and show.

Late answer but this piece is absolutely gorgeous. Here's to hope at least one of these lads making into Smash.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Probably, also any text leak that had MP4 can be disregarded easily.
Granted, they could have planned Sylux or whoever it could be before they rebooted it.:ohwell: Who really knows at this point. No matter what, glad to see that they could be so transparent about it as well as rebooting it and not just cancelling it.

D

Deleted member

People have been posting this stuff in the Social thread, and I decided it would be nice to share it here:

Is there a character you guys would feel very excited, like VERY excited if they got in, to the point of almost jumping out of your seat?

Mine would be a tie between Sora and Geno. Among all video game characters I know, these 2 share the spot of my favorite character ever. I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, to the point I've even made a marathon through every KH game, one after another. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite franchise developed by Square Enix, and Sora is a very fun character to watch, I love his personality, abilities, looks, etc. Geno is my favorite character to ever appear in a Mario game, and since Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the 7 Stars was my first RPG ever, I hold very dear memories of it. I always wondered why Geno didn't appear in other games, and I felt heartbroken when I first found out about his situation. I still replay SMRPG every now and then, because I love seeing Geno and the locations of that game so much. If either one of these 2 ever got in Smash, I would literally cry like a baby. I think these are the only characters that would ever get a reaction like that from me.
Honestly, probably not. Even Geno and Banjo would make me happy but not excited to that degree. Takamaru getting in would definitely be a bit exciting for me though.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
>Within the next 7 days
>So max 1st February

It's time.
Well, you know what this means, right?
That sweet Nintendo Direct may arrive sooner than the two-week window we've been given by leakers.

While my mind tells me it's Erdrick that would be revealed, with the help of the amazing Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon , my confidence has been reestablished, and I feel like Sephiboi could be the character coming to surprise everyone. Against all odds, with only Luminary being the least voted in this very thread, I stand by my position. It's time my friends. Time to hype this up.
Smash.jpg

Nomura makes some interesting character designs, but boy... does his writing suck.
Did you watch the KHIII spoilers already?

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
That sweet Nintendo Direct may arrive sooner than the two-week window we've been given by leakers.

While my mind tells me it's Erdrick that would be revealed, with the help of the amazing Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon , my confidence has been reestablished, and I feel like Sephiboi could be the character coming to surprise everyone. Against all odds, with only Luminary being the least voted in this very thread, I stand by my position. It's time my friends. Time to hype this up.
View attachment 188398

Only a few, not many. Why?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

View attachment 188398

...wait Seph is still a thing can you explain to me where this is coming from I'm interested

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Prayer circle for Sylux boys
Yeah that was a pretty devastating blow lol

that said when I first started watching the video I was sure they were working up to a cancellation so a delay really isn't the worst thing in the world there, plus for Sylux in Smash if this happened recently he would have already be planned for DLC and I doubt they would change that.

Actually I was wondering if the rumor about Joker jumping ahead in line to get announced had to do with the MP4 delay and if Sylux would have also been affected by that as well.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
...wait Seph is still a thing can you explain to me where this is coming from I'm interested
Well, as I've written in the Seph thread, there are still things left open that favor a Sephiroth reveal. And these things are a collection of stuff that, at least to me, are considerable enough to be taken into account.
S-E's PR will start focusing on everything FFVII a week or two from now, as KHIII is launched and the hype would live on by itself for a while.
FFVII Remake is confirmed to have a re-unveiling this year. And oddly enough, FFVII and IX on the Switch didn't have their release dates revealed by neither Nintendo nor S-E. The only possibilities that a Seph reveal would make sense is in a Direct that feature one of these two issues being resolved. The FFVII launch on the Switch is coming soon, so it's not far fetched to assume that the next Direct will feature it.
The holdoff of new FFVII content is also something that could be dealt with in case Seph gets in the game. We've heard from pro players how the events had people complaining to Nintendo staff about the lack of FF content in the game and them responding that "they were listening".
I, for one, believe that the leaks could turn out true, but I'm not putting all of my eggs in the same basket. To this day Verge only said that Erdrick was the one he heard the most, but never did he take the position he took with other characters that turned out to be true. S-E doesn't suffer this big of a leak so far before launch. And Brave is merely stats that are not final, and could even be a character that is not even from S-E. Cloud's stats in Smash 4 changed considerably before his reveal and launch.
Nomura's tweet on Smash's launch was also interesting. He posted it exclusively in the FFVII Remake Twitter account, and it was the first tweet for the page to be revived. His wording there was interesting. Not groundbreaking proof, but him saying about getting back to work could be related to Smash itself, given that the DLC were chosen and the contracts sealed by that point.
Finally, the different times Sakurai referenced Sephiroth during the road to Ultimate's launch is uncanny, to say the least.

Here's a hype music to go along with it. :3

Found this a moments ago:
Seems Metroid Prime 4 is long ways now...
The best news coming from this is Retro Studios returning to work on the game.
This also means that the game they've been working on for the past few years is near completion and will be revealed soon!!

EDIT: This is why I held off buying DQXI until the Switch version came out. It's confirmed the game will contain additional scenario to the overarching experience. Kinda like a "Final Mix" for DQXI. And yes, the video below has lower quality due to it being a livestream recording.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Finally, the different times Sakurai referenced Sephiroth during the road to Ultimate's launch is uncanny, to say the least.
This really interests me. If it's not too much trouble, could you elaborate a little more on this point?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The hypest I've ever been for a Smash reveal was Shulk. He was the first-party character I wanted in Smash 4, and I was pretty pessimistic about his prospects, so getting that trailer outta nowhere was really special. My most-wanted in Ultimate was Dark Samus, but that wasn't nearly so exciting since she was a pretty obvious echo.

It's a shame about Prime 4. I was under the impression that Retro didn't have much of the old Prime staff left, but they still know how to make a great video game, so it'll probably be fine. I'm still hoping for a Trilogy collection relatively soon, at least.

Sephiroth is one of the only characters I'd find really disappointing. I don't even mind the idea of another Final Fantasy character, but having its two characters and two stages both be from FFVII would really rub me the wrong way. FFVII and Sephiroth are both good, but there's so much more to the series than that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To Sakurai referencing Sephiroth at all, that is a good sign, but please stow your expectations, Sephiroth fans. You guys are really cool. In fact, I'd say everyone here is pretty cool, which is why I recommend being careful. When Sakurai spoke so highly of Geno during Ultimate's project planning, we thought he had great chances, only for them to get brutally demolished and spat on.

It still hurts, and I don't want anyone else to get their hopes too high and have them destroyed. It's not a fun feeling, especially when it's one of the last characters that could even make you hyped for the DLC anymore. Just... Just be careful.

That being said, though, I'll be rooting for Seph for y'all as I'm rooting for Erdrick and Sora.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
This really interests me. If it's not too much trouble, could you elaborate a little more on this point?
The Direct that contained the Belmonts and Chrom bringed us two references.
And these aren't just me saying it. My friends interpreted them the same way, hence them sending me messages about it.
During the Direct itself, the reveal of Alucard ended with a curious placement. He ends his presence with a stance that uses his black cape in Midgar. You may know that Sephiroth is referenced in the original FFVII by "the man wearing a black cape", and indeed, his visuals at that moment called back Sephiroth.

On the same day, Chrom's page was opened and featured a picture of him with only one wing of an angel.
Not even mentioning the Congratulations screen that references the Nibelheim incident, since that is something from the Smash 4 days. The curious thing is this imagery repeating. You would think that the references would stop in the first game, right?

The hypest I've ever been for a Smash reveal was Shulk. He was the first-party character I wanted in Smash 4, and I was pretty pessimistic about his prospects, so getting that trailer outta nowhere was really special. My most-wanted in Ultimate was Dark Samus, but that wasn't nearly so exciting since she was a pretty obvious echo.

It's a shame about Prime 4. I was under the impression that Retro didn't have much of the old Prime staff left, but they still know how to make a great video game, so it'll probably be fine. I'm still hoping for a Trilogy collection relatively soon, at least.

Sephiroth is one of the only characters I'd find really disappointing. I don't even mind the idea of another Final Fantasy character, but having its two characters and two stages both be from FFVII would really rub me the wrong way. FFVII and Sephiroth are both good, but there's so much more to the series than that.
I understand your concern, but given that the FF representation in Smash is strictly VII, as stated by the blog and the game itself, we can only expect a VII character if any FF content comes.

To Sakurai referencing Sephiroth at all, that is a good sign, but please stow your expectations, Sephiroth fans. You guys are really cool. In fact, I'd say everyone here is pretty cool, which is why I recommend being careful. When Sakurai spoke so highly of Geno during Ultimate's project planning, we thought he had great chances, only for them to get brutally demolished and spat on.

It still hurts, and I don't want anyone else to get their hopes too high and have them destroyed. It's not a fun feeling, especially when it's one of the last characters that could even make you hyped for the DLC anymore. Just... Just be careful.

That being said, though, I'll be rooting for Seph for y'all as I'm rooting for Erdrick and Sora.
I thank you for the kind message. And yes, I'm keeping the hype in check. Like I said, my mind tells me to expect Erdrick, but my gut feeling is telling me that it's too weird for us to have so much info on the S-E rep so far before the DLC launches.
My hope is the fact that Seph never appeared in Smash in any form, not even as a spirit, trophy or his theme in the music department. His addition would fit Reggie's words as well. But again, only keeping the hype in check. This is just me a reinvigorated by my friend that I didn't have enough time to thank him/her bc of college stuff.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, as I've written in the Seph thread, there are still things left open that favor a Sephiroth reveal. And these things are a collection of stuff that, at least to me, are considerable enough to be taken into account.
S-E's PR will start focusing on everything FFVII a week or two from now, as KHIII is launched and the hype would live on by itself for a while.
FFVII Remake is confirmed to have a re-unveiling this year. And oddly enough, FFVII and IX on the Switch didn't have their release dates revealed by neither Nintendo nor S-E. The only possibilities that a Seph reveal would make sense is in a Direct that feature one of these two issues being resolved. The FFVII launch on the Switch is coming soon, so it's not far fetched to assume that the next Direct will feature it.
The holdoff of new FFVII content is also something that could be dealt with in case Seph gets in the game. We've heard from pro players how the events had people complaining to Nintendo staff about the lack of FF content in the game and them responding that "they were listening".
I, for one, believe that the leaks could turn out true, but I'm not putting all of my eggs in the same basket. To this day Verge only said that Erdrick was the one he heard the most, but never did he take the position he took with other characters that turned out to be true. S-E doesn't suffer this big of a leak so far before launch. And Brave is merely stats that are not final, and could even be a character that is not even from S-E. Cloud's stats in Smash 4 changed considerably before his reveal and launch.

Here's a hype music to go along with it. :3

The best news coming from this is Retro Studios returning to work on the game.
This also means that the game they've been working on for the past few years is near completion and will be revealed soon!!

EDIT: This is why I held off buying DQXI until the Switch version came out. It's confirmed the game will contain additional scenario to the overarching experience. Kinda like a "Final Mix" for DQXI. And yes, the video below has lower quality due to it being a livestream recording.
"We're listening" doesn't mean they're actually gonna do anything about it. In those situations you're kinda bound to respond.
Can you show me a source for Cloud's stats changing so much because I still haven't seen it and am curious.
Also the only reference I recall is that Chrom pic.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
"We're listening" doesn't mean they're actually gonna do anything about it. In those situations you're kinda bound to respond.
Actually, didn't they also do that in response to people asking about Geno at events, too?

Yeah, even more reasons to keep your expectations very, very tempered. It doesn't mean much.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Although I would probably enjoy Sephiroth more than any of the other "leaked" 7...

Let's just try to keep our expectations in check.

References to the character are great and all, but they don't necessarily point to a character's inclusion.

I rather not have another Isaac situation here.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Can you show me a source for Cloud's stats changing so much because I still haven't seen it and am curious.
Also the only reference I recall is that Chrom pic.
I'll see if I can uncover this info from a few years ago, but this has been referenced in this thread before as well. If anyone finds it sooner, you can post it here.

Although I would probably enjoy Sephiroth more than any of the other "leaked" 7...

Let's just try to keep our expectations in check.

References to the character are great and all, but they don't necessarily point to a character's inclusion.

I rather not have another Isaac situation here.
I hope I made myself clear that the references aren't the main argument for his inclusion, but rather the state the industry, S-E and Nintendo are now.
It's a matter of chance that we analyse every character. All I'm saying is there's a considerable chance.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I do think, from a purely business standpoint, Erdrick and Sephiroth probably have the best chances from the Square 7 (best chances for cross-marketing a franchise/game that will be released on the Switch). A Sora reveal might point at a future KH3 port to the Switch, though, and that would give Sora a good chance. Who knows, they might be planning a reboot of SMRPG and that would give a good business reason to include Geno.

I think what I'm trying to say is that a while ago I felt like it was dead certain we all knew who the second SE rep was going to be and now I feel like there's a lot more uncertainty, and that gives me a measured hope that one of the last few characters I would love to see MIGHT make it (still holding out for Neku too!). It feels good to go from thinking there was no chance to feeling that there is a chance, even though nothing is certain until the character's identity is revealed.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Who knows, they might be planning a reboot of SMRPG and that would give a good business reason to include Geno.
God, Geno and Mallow returning to the main series is all I'd ever want, and I'd honestly take that before any kind of Smash inclusion. If they don't include Geno as playable, then c'mon, Square, at least throw us some kind of a bone.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Woo! 2.0 within a week!

Hope this means pplant :)
(and more data, of course)

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Btw, KHIII's epilogue has just been leaked. Even more stuff for you to have fun with.
At least two gripes I was having with the game were at least acknowledged.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Found this a moments ago:
Seems Metroid Prime 4 is long ways now...
Welp, this was definitely a huge blow to start off a Friday!

Let's pour a glass for all the Sylux and Metroid fans right now! I honestly doubted Sylux from the beginning but, I doubt he's happening even more so! The only thing I can see happening with Sylux now for Smash is that he at least gets a promotional spirit like how they did Pikachu and Eevee! The promotion would be for a Metroid Prime trilogy to come to the Switch, and put him in as a spirit whenever that happens!

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Granted, they could have planned Sylux or whoever it could be before they rebooted it.:ohwell: Who really knows at this point. No matter what, glad to see that they could be so transparent about it as well as rebooting it and not just cancelling it.
Honestly, we for real, don't even know if Sylux is going to be in MP4. Yes, I've heard about all the supppsoed foreshadowing, but so much can change over time. I never bought into the Sylux hype becuase it had so little concrete stuff actually going for it.
To this day Verge only said that Erdrick was the one he heard the most, but never did he take the position he took with other characters that turned out to be true.
And interestingly enough, Verge hasn't really heard anything officially discouraging Sephiroth either unlike other candidates.
Nomura makes some interesting character designs, but boy... does his writing suck.
I'm beginning to wonder if he's the reason that Kingdom Hearts isn't the true crossover we were initially promised.

Also, I love Nomura sometimes, but I can't deny that he's kinda responsible for the mess that is the view of FFVII via the compilation, and other exaggerations like Cloud's downer personality, and Sephiroth's ridiculous sword lengths.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Didn't Reggie say that dlc characters are going to be from games new to the series? I think that may play a little bit against certain characters. :/

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Didn't Reggie say that dlc characters are going to be from games new to the series? I think that may play a little bit against certain characters. :/
He said "characters that are entirely new to the series" This could mean characters that never showed up before in any way in Smash.
But yeah, it's Reggie, not Sakurai. So his wording may not be 100% accurate

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Reggie's statement was that the DLC will be characters new to the series.

Which is just the literal definition of a newcomer.

So no, that doesn't deconfirm anyone from an already represented series.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
He said "characters that are entirely new to the series" This could mean characters that never showed up before in any way in Smash.
But yeah, it's Reggie, not Sakurai. So his wording may not be 100% accurate
No
Literally all he said was the DLC characters will be newcomers to the series
Reggie's statement was that the DLC will be characters new to the series.

Which is just the literal definition of a newcomer.

So no, that doesn't deconfirm anyone from an already represented series.
I don't think so, because there's no other vets. Especially in the context of persona 5, I'm pretty sure he meant series' that aren't in smash already.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Honestly, we for real, don't even know if Sylux is going to be in MP4. Yes, I've heard about all the supppsoed foreshadowing, but so much can change over time. I never bought into the Sylux hype becuase it had so little concrete stuff actually going for it.
I mean I suppose you really never know but when multiple games foreshadow to something on top of one of the creative directors outright saying he wanted to explore Sylux's relationship with Samus more its not like we're all just making wild guesses.

I don't think so, because there's no other vets. Especially in the context of persona 5, I'm pretty sure he meant series' that aren't in smash already.
Yes but his words are literally, "they will be new to the series" not "they will be from new series". Yeah it sounds like an obvious thing to say but that's marketing for you, saying something obvious in a way that makes it sound great.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You're looking far too deep into a simple quote meant to hype up TGA participants who may not even know there's no other vets because they may not be Smash fans

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
You're going too deep into subtext here.

Joker's reveal doesn't mean that every DLC character will be from an unrepresented IP.

And they've highlighted the "no vets, so we're doing characters from scratch" statement multiple times, including in the Nov. 1st Direct.

Even from the "Everyone is Here" statement all the way back from the game's reveal at E3, it became pretty clear to everyone that any possible DLC will be newcomers.

Reggie's comment just restated what was already known for months.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You're looking far too deep into a simple quote meant to hype up TGA participants who may not even know there's no other vets because they may not be Smash fans
Ehhh. To be fair, I think it's fairer to assume that Nintendo are aware people would know given the tagline "Everyone Is Here".

By that logic, they'd be looking for people who haven't played Smash before or never heard a lick about Ultimate, and even then, with the internet, they'd know well soon enough that all veterans are already in.

Top Bottom