• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean I suppose you really never know but when multiple games foreshadow to something on top of one of the creative directors outright saying he wanted to explore Sylux's relationship with Samus more its not like we're all just making wild guesses.

Yes but his words are literally, "they will be new to the series" not "they will be from new series". Yeah it sounds like an obvious thing to say but that's marketing for you, saying something obvious in a way that makes it sound great.
You're looking far too deep into a simple quote meant to hype up TGA participants who may not even know there's no other vets because they may not be Smash fans
I don't think it's meant to be taken 'literally'. He's not a robot, he's a normal person. Context always matters.

Anyway, at the speed of the replies, I'm guessing I hit a nerve. I won't bring it up if it's a touchy issue.
It would be cool if it didn't mean much though, because other nintendo characters could come, which actually I'd like because there's plenty of good ones still.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Reggie's quote about characters being "new to the series" is just a souped up way of saying there will be newcomers to Smash.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think it's mean to be taken 'literally'. He's not a robot, he's a normal person. Context always matters.

Anyway, at the speed of the replies, I'm guessing I hit a nerve. I won't bring it up if it's a touchy issue.
It would be cool if it didn't mean much though, because it'd mean other nintendo characters could come, which actually I'd like because there's plenty of good ones still.
I mean...it's not touchy, it's that you're acting like Reggie, who was speaking in a PR sense to advertise his companies upcoming big game, slyly slipped in a deconfirmation for all characters represented in the series in other forms.

Ehhh. To be fair, I think it's fairer to assume that Nintendo are aware people would know given the tagline "Everyone Is Here".

By that logic, they'd be looking for people who haven't played Smash before or never heard a lick about Ultimate, and even then, with the internet, they'd know well soon enough that all veterans are already in.
Ultimate was targeted for the more hardcore fanbase. The DLC and it's showing at TGA, specifically Joker, was likely to help draw in those who prefer other consoles such as the PS4 and don't know a thing about Ultimate.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Reggie's quote about characters being "new to the series" is just a souped up way of saying there will be newcomers to Smash.
Admittedly, if all the newcomers are completely new to the series, then well, it'll seem that folk weren't looking too deeply into Reggie's words.

And given the rumor mill about Joker and Erdrick, like with spirits, it's a pattern in the making. Heck, if it's any of these listed candidate members except for Geno, it's a train a-coming.
The DLC and it's showing at TGA, specifically Joker, was likely to help draw in those who prefer other consoles such as the PS4 and don't know a thing about Ultimate.
Could maybe see that being a factor, but the driving force to that extent? That's a stretch.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I don't think it's meant to be taken 'literally'. He's not a robot, he's a normal person. Context always matters.

It would be cool if it didn't mean much though, because it'd mean other nintendo characters could come, which actually I'd like because there's plenty of good ones still.
Sorry yeah I hate to see someone get flooded with replies all saying the same thing but I happened to be typing up the other reply when I saw yours, but I think the main thing to look at here is not that because he didn't phrase it that way it won't all be new series but that we aren't deconfirming anyone who has someone else in the series. It honestly still could all be people new to the series, but I don't think he was trying to say that since it would be a major hint where they haven't really done that before.

Admittedly, if all the newcomers are completely new to the series, then well, it'll seem that folk weren't looking too deeply into Reggie's words.

And given the rumor mill about Joker and Erdrick, like with spirits, it's a pattern in the making. Heck, if it's any of these listed candidate members except for Geno, it's a train a-coming.
I still think even if that's the case that won't have been what he was trying to say, it's way too big of a hint to just casually drop like that.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean...it's not touchy, it's that you're acting like Reggie, who was speaking in a PR sense to advertise his companies upcoming big game, slyly slipped in a deconfirmation for all characters represented in the series in other forms.

Ultimate was targeted for the more hardcore fanbase. The DLC and it's showing at TGA, specifically Joker, was likely to help draw in those who prefer other consoles such as the PS4 and don't know a thing about Ultimate.
Listen ok, there are always different ways to interpret things. The fact that you're pushing your interpretation on me and not allowing any other one makes it that youre defensive and oppressive. I hit a nerve. I wont bring it back up.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Could maybe see that being a factor, but the driving force to that extent? That's a stretch.
I mean..I don't see how it's a stretch.

Listen ok, there are always different ways to interpret things. The fact that you're pushing your interpretation on me and not allowing any other one makes it that youre defensive and oppressive. I hit a nerve. I wont bring it back up. Now leave it alone.
Okay, I'll stop then, but I'm just frustrated because this argument has come up frequently and I do not see how you can interpret it otherwise without twisting his words. Apologies if that comes across as rude, I just don't know how to explain it otherwise.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Okay, I'll stop then, but I'm just frustrated because this argument has come up frequently and I do not see how you can interpret it otherwise without twisting his words. Apologies if that comes across as rude, I just don't know how to explain it otherwise.
To me it's much simpler.. it's definitely not about twisting words, and I'll stop there for now. Maybe someday we'll feel back like talking about it. for now gonna try to mellow out.
I appreciate the thought that it might not deconfirm existing series'. So, let's leave it at that :)

I haven't been that much in metroid for a long time, so for me the patch news is what's getting me. I'm actually really looking to playing a new character soon.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
On the TGA quote subject:

It's not so much a touchy subject... just one that's been discussed over and over and over again.

People have brought up this quote ever since Joker's reveal as a way to deconfirm the vast majority of 1st party series or repped 3rd party series.

I get why people are inclined to assume that as a deconfirmation, but I have a hard time seeing the merits of the argument when:

1. The quote contains absolutely nothing new in terms of info.
2. Reggie is trying to promote the game, why would he deconfirm any character?

But that's just my opinion. If you don't agree with it, that's fine.
But... let's just stop now so we don't get deep into a debate over this quote... again.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I can assure you it's nothing more than tricky wording. It says they'll be new to the series, or basically new to Smash (the series in context). He never said the characters will be from new series.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well, I guess I'm a dragon quest fan now. I played DQ before and didn't care for it, but 11 changed my mind. At this point I'd actually be hyped for Erdrick. Especially if he came with Luminary as an alt. I still don't think Brave is Erdrick though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sometimes I can be a little apprehensive myself. I don't mind debating once in a while, but most of the time it's a little too much for me. I don't like seeing certain things that people say sometimes, but I actually don't always know how to have nice open conversations. Anyway. if I don't reply to something it might just be because I don't know how to go about it.

Well, I guess I'm a dragon quest fan now. I played DQ before and didn't care for it, but 11 changed my mind. At this point I'd actually be hyped for Erdrick. Especially if he came with Luminary as an alt. I still don't think Brave is Erdrick though.
That's awesome. It's cool to see someone get into it. I really dont know who brave could be right now with what we know, but that could change at some point. Either way it's the SE rep I'm really curious about.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reggie said the same thing about Waluigi in that one interview I'm sure y'all know about, labeling him as a character that would be new to the series.

So no, his TGA PR quote didn't disconfirm 1000+ characters.

edit: although if we don't get Geno, I do believe the rest of the DLC will be entirely new to Smash unless we get King Boo or someone for 1st-party promotion like that.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, at this point I'll be hyped as hell as long as it's not Slime or Chrono. The whole squenix situation prompted me to get into kingdom hearts and dragon quest. Maybe I should play Chrono Trigger too. Then watch it be Slime.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah, to me Slime is the only character from the list that I would be completely underwhelmed if it's revealed to be the S-E rep

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mind slime, but if it's over a hero, yeah I would feel disappointed. I'd still play and enjoy the character tho of course.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Reggie said the same thing about Waluigi in that one interview I'm sure y'all know about, labeling him as a character that would be new to the series.

edit: although if we don't get Geno, I do believe the rest of the DLC will be entirely new to Smash unless we get King Boo or someone for 1st-party promotion like that.
Well damn that eliminates any semblance of doubt from my mind
Reggie just has a weird phrasing for newcomers

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Well damn that eliminates any semblance of doubt from my mind
Reggie just has a weird phrasing for newcomers
I couldn't find the quote anywhere.

I gotta go for the day, but if someone finds it I'll check later.
Enjoy yourself in whatever case. Keep the hopes alive and enjoy smash in any case :)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Because it's implying that Reggie is going through all these hoops to speak specifically to those of the PS4 market when really, they obviously aren't gonna be the gurantee majority, and implying that they don't know anything about Smash kinda makes the whole "new to the series" thing pointless, since they aren't even familiar with what's supposedly the norm.

Whereas at least a casual teasing of the DLC makes sense. Not like he'd be ruining any surprises if it turns out that indeed, all DLC characters are folk are from series never before fighter-repped in Smash.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because it's implying that Reggie is going through all these hoops to speak specifically to those of the PS4 market when really, they obviously aren't gonna be the gurantee majority, and implying that they don't know anything about Smash kinda makes the whole "new to the series" thing pointless, since they aren't even familiar with what's supposedly the norm.

Whereas at least a casual teasing of the DLC makes sense. Not like he'd be ruining any surprises if it turns out that indeed, all DLC characters are folk are from series never before fighter-repped in Smash.
Check this quote out.

It's genuinely just how Reggie refers to newcomers.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Honestly, at this point I'll be hyped as hell as long as it's not Slime or Chrono. The whole squenix situation prompted me to get into kingdom hearts and dragon quest. Maybe I should play Chrono Trigger too. Then watch it be Slime.
Yeah, to me Slime is the only character from the list that I would be completely underwhelmed if it's revealed to be the S-E rep
I wouldn't mind slime, but if it's over a hero, yeah I would feel disappointed. I'd still play and enjoy the character tho of course.
*crys in Slime*

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Gonna need a source and context on that.

Not seeing the quote you're referring to that supposedly contradicts matters here.
CLEARLY, Nintendo does not hate Waluigi. Because here I am with him as my main character. I mean look, we're making every character that's ever been in a Smash Bros. game available in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

[Laughing] But not Waluigi .

[With faux exhaustion] You would think that would be enough to satisfy the fans. But noooooo! The fans have to focus in on one character that isn't part of the series and to demand their inclusion.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I like Slime. But every other character in the list has made their impact and symbolize something that Slime, while adorable, doesn't reach.
Slime has charm, but as the Goomba of the DQ series (with a more iconic status), it feels to me like a waste of slot when we could add a character with personality, history and impact. PP is different bc he's basically free DLC, coming from a first-party series, and it's most likely a project that one of Sakurai's most admired developers actually pushed for and made it work.
Again, nothing against the little guy. But the other 6 are way more hype for me.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
CLEARLY, Nintendo does not hate Waluigi. Because here I am with him as my main character. I mean look, we're making every character that's ever been in a Smash Bros. game available in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

[Laughing] But not Waluigi .

[With faux exhaustion] You would think that would be enough to satisfy the fans. But noooooo! The fans have to focus in on one character that isn't part of the series and to demand their inclusion.
So, there's nothing really there. Her just expresses how he views even assist trophies as characters in their own rights. Doesn't affect what he would say about upcoming DLC characters, and he certainly doesn't say anything about seeing Waluigi as some new character "new to the series".

Come on now. You don't have to believe that characters from new series is what he meant, by honestly, neither side has enough solid evidence to look down on the other like this, guys.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, there's nothing really there. Her just expresses how he views even assist trophies as characters in their own rights. Doesn't affect what he would say about upcoming DLC characters, and he certainly doesn't say anything about seeing Waluigi as some new character "new to the series".

Come on now. You don't have to believe that characters from new series is what he meant, by honestly, neither side has enough solid evidence to look down on the other like this, guys.
He didn't say anything about Waluigi already being in Smash as an AT, he straight-up pointed out how people focus on one character that isn't part of the series, so he may as well mean the same thing about any character that's a Spirit or whatever, possibly not even thinking about them (heck there's so many Spirits I doubt he actually kept them in mind).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This might be an unpopular opinion...

But Slime is the only DQ rep I'd be mildly interested in.
I actually agree. Slime is cute and a character I've actually known about for awhile unlike say Erdrick who I only learned of around E3 2018. If there had to be a DQ rep I would want it to be Slime.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

...okay no I don't think this is fair.

He straight up says Waluigi is a character that isn't part of the series. He then goes on to directly imply at TGA that the DLC picks would be new to the series. As such, for example, if Waluigi isn't part of the series by Reggie's definition, then he could be DLC also by Reggie's definition.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Sorry buddy, but I'm gonna have to disagree with this.

1. He never mentioned Waluigi as an AT at all.
2. The last part of the statement ("The fans have to focus in on one character that isn't part of the series and to demand their inclusion.") is in reference to Waluigi, meaning he considers him as someone who "isn't part of the series" based on this statement.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think at the end of the day we've all probably thought more about what Reggie said than I'm guessing even Reggie has. I don't think anyone should try to look at what he said as some great insight one way or another.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I think at the end of the day we've all probably thought more about what Reggie said than I'm guessing even Reggie has. I don't think anyone should try to look at what he said as some great insight one way or another.
You're probably right.

But this thread was pretty much built on looking into a list of 7 names being thrown around by insiders who don't know Nintendo as well as Reggie does.

So... this is pretty much the thread for overanalyzing info that may/may not be accurate.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
You're probably right.

But this thread was pretty much built on looking into a list of 7 names being thrown around by insiders who don't know Nintendo as well as Reggie does.

So... this is pretty much the thread for overanalyzing info that may/may not be accurate.
I don't think there is any issue with over analyzing but we just need to remember that that it's all speculation at this point.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
didn't say anything about Waluigi already being in Smash as an AT,
He never mentioned Waluigi as an AT at all.
And you'll notice, I never said he did. Waluigi just happens to be an assist trophy.
The last part of the statement ("The fans have to focus in on one character that isn't part of the series and to demand their inclusion.") is in reference to Waluigi, meaning he considers him as someone who "isn't part of the series" based on this statement.
he straight-up pointed out how people focus on one character that isn't part of the series,
1. Unlike the TGA awards, that's a paraphrased interview from one site that you have to fish for. Show us a video with Reggie saying exactly that, and it's more on the level.

2. Even if Reggie did say that, he's a PR man, speaking to a different audience, during a different time and with different attributes of each situation. Pre-lease on the matter of characters in the base roster vs later after Joker's reveal talking about DLC characters, and mind you, after we got a look at Spirits, upon which fans would be paying more attention to words like the ones he used.

3. If you're willing to look this deep unti his words, then you may want to pay mind to the tone of faux exhaustion he used there for that bit specifically according to the interview. It was mainly in a lampooning sarcastic sense. Which makes sense, since the interview was more casual. If anything, there's nothing suggesting that he was really putting that much weight on the "series" back then as he was when in front of all those people at the VGA when he talked about the new characters.

4. IT'S been several months between those two bits from Reggie. THERE'S nothing iron clad suggesting that his bout of speech remains consistent regarding the matters.

Again, believe what you want, but neither side has the bullet proof smoking gun to wield over the other. And considering how Reggie also said that Joker is emblematic of other season pass fighters to come, you can't really blame people for thinking that's the case until we actually get a character that contradicts the notion.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The Direct that contained the Belmonts and Chrom bringed us two references.
And these aren't just me saying it. My friends interpreted them the same way, hence them sending me messages about it.
During the Direct itself, the reveal of Alucard ended with a curious placement. He ends his presence with a stance that uses his black cape in Midgar. You may know that Sephiroth is referenced in the original FFVII by "the man wearing a black cape", and indeed, his visuals at that moment called back Sephiroth.

On the same day, Chrom's page was opened and featured a picture of him with only one wing of an angel.
Not even mentioning the Congratulations screen that references the Nibelheim incident, since that is something from the Smash 4 days. The curious thing is this imagery repeating. You would think that the references would stop in the first game, right?

I understand your concern, but given that the FF representation in Smash is strictly VII, as stated by the blog and the game itself, we can only expect a VII character if any FF content comes.

I thank you for the kind message. And yes, I'm keeping the hype in check. Like I said, my mind tells me to expect Erdrick, but my gut feeling is telling me that it's too weird for us to have so much info on the S-E rep so far before the DLC launches.
My hope is the fact that Seph never appeared in Smash in any form, not even as a spirit, trophy or his theme in the music department. His addition would fit Reggie's words as well. But again, only keeping the hype in check. This is just me a reinvigorated by my friend that I didn't have enough time to thank him/her bc of college stuff.
You missed the finish classic pic (I think it's Clouds) where he holds Zelda lying in the water unconscious. Tried to find the pic but I was unable to do so.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh I really doubt Reggie had Spirits in mind; would he really have all of those characters in his head when saying what he did at the TGAs?

I honestly don't see why we should think on Game Theory FNaF levels when it could be similar to, as Mr. Hippo puts it, "telling a story just to tell a story," as in, Reggie doesn't really have any real meaning behind it other than trying to excite fans.

regardless while I don't think this kills Geno's or King Boo's chances or whoever, I do believe the DLC will all be 100% not-in-Smash-in-anyway-already characters if we don't get them or other characters that could be used as 1st-party promotion (excluding new FE or Pokemanz).

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And you'll notice, I never said he did. Waluigi just happens to be an assist trophy.

1. Unlike the TGA awards, that's a paraphrased interview from one site that you have to fish for. Show us a video with Reggie saying exactly that, and it's more on the level.

2. Even if Reggie did say that, he's a PR man, speaking to a different audience, during a different time and with different attributes of each situation. Pre-lease on the matter of characters in the base roster vs later after Joker's reveal talking about DLC characters, and mind you, after we got a look at Spirits, upon which fans would be paying more attention to words like the ones he used.

3. If you're willing to look this deep unti his words, then you may want to pay mind to the tone of faux exhaustion he used there for that bit specifically according to the interview. It was mainly in a lampooning sarcastic sense. Which makes sense, since the interview was more casual. If anything, there's nothing suggesting that he was really putting that much weight on the "series" back then as he was when in front of all those people at the VGA when he talked about the new characters.

4. IT'S been several months between those two bits from Reggie. THERE'S nothing iron clad suggesting that his bout of speech remains consistent regarding the matters.

Again, believe what you want, but neither side has the bullet proof smoking gun to wield over the other. And considering how Reggie also said that Joker is emblematic of other season pass fighters to come, you can't really blame people for thinking that's the case until we actually get a character that contradicts the notion.
I do not at all feel this is fair for reasons I have explained but I understand your perspective and do not feel any further compromise can be reached.
We'll just see what happens in the end.

Top Bottom