• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
.....Tekkaman is in NO WAY cheap. He has insane range and does absurd amounts of damage quickly, but his basic crouching jab is MUCH too slow, which means most stuff that is unsafe aganist a lot of other people are safe on him.

D0N

Smash Ace
.....Tekkaman is in NO WAY cheap. He has insane range and does absurd amounts of damage quickly, but his basic crouching jab is MUCH too slow, which means most stuff that is unsafe aganist a lot of other people are safe on him.
Yea thats what I thought/noticed. It made me think "Why the hell is something banned already? is that a john-joke? Whatever, I still need to try everyone else in the game anyway so I wont pick him..." Whats with people and instant banning. Some people want to do it just after seeing something like an auto fear reaction.

But anyway, its a fun game. Im gonna end up playing this more than smash at the tourney. I did at chu's.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
I really like Chun. That chick has rediculous ground strings, plus that wall string is sick. Yeah I was wondering what you meant about V-Joe cuz I wanted to main him. For real though, the Gotchaman crew is pretty tight as well.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Tekkaman, to compare to say...Brawl....is like the Ike that is better with TONS more opitions, CAN play keep away....but instead of having probably the best jab in game, he has one of the worst.

That said, no one looks bad (again, save for PTX and Gold Lightan) or absolutely broken at this point. Karas ( the black armored guy with the katana on the Tatsunoko side) does dumb damage with even dumber rushdown speed (think MetaKnight), but in half the combo he does to you, you can take his entire life as he takes the worst damage in the game.

dobee

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I just woke up from driving this past weekend and I have learned something.
DO NOT EVER GIVE TOASTY A MOUNTAIN DEW!!!!
You will regret it... get diet instead. lol

rhan

Smash Hero
Oh man...Got more gas for the trip then expected? xD

How was Chu's? As I hear Melee took over after Brawl went off. :p

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
haha i had tvc for like few days...just no mpII yet...still waiting. gc controller sucks balls. =[

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
NO, Viewiftul Joe is stupid....as in STUPID GOOD. He has some dumb@ss boomerang setups, his bomb can keep him safe for runaway, and he does ******** damage just for his mash punch move in air after a ground string to launcher.

Toasty, both of those big characters aren't that great. Just pick Ryu + Tekkaman (the Tatsunoko guy that wields a double sided spear) and run away all day and whenever they whiff something, call Tekkaman assist as Ryu as Tekkaman's little wire (compared to them) trips them and makes them comboable into a Shinkuu Hadouken :laugh:.
****ing WORD. sounds awesome. also YESSS I was gonna say VJ is ****. Dude. When I was just fuxing with him I noticed he had the SAME EXACT AIR **** from the GC game and I thought "wait a ****ing minute. this is ********. I can stall my falling speed incredibly by simple throwing out an insane barrage of attacks that just keep you in the air with me? Wow yeah that's awesome it's just like the game BUT WOW AWESOME IT'S JUST LIKE THE GAME GET ***** SON VIEWTIFUL TOAST 4LYFE *****"
HAHAHAHA I told you diet for a reason!!! now you know! XD
Oh man...Got more gas for the trip then expected? xD
hahahaha no no that's not it at all....
How was Chu's? As I hear Melee took over after Brawl went off. :p
again, not at all. Whatever you heard was completely wrong.

Here's what happened.

Chu said he's hosting a tourney.
Chu said he'd only host Melee if enough people wanted it.
About 8-10 people who were able to make it showed interest.
Melee was played. Singles AND teams. They were supposed to end around 12:30 but didn't finish until 2:30-3ish.

Then people ate.

THEN the 50-65 people who came for Brawl who had been standing around waiting for setups because Melee was taking so long finally got to start Brawl teams at like 4 when they were supposed to start hours before that.

There were...25 teams?
Not many people were being helpful in calling out the next matches because it was IMPOSSIBLE to move around Chu's house with so many people there so they couldn't get to the brackets easily [good **** Alpha Zealot for running that almost alone]

As Brawl teams got all kinds of crazy chaotic, with people leaving in the middle to get food without telling the right people and thus delaying even MORE matches, debates started about what to do for singles.

That kind of took a couple hours since it was already 7 or 8 PM and Brawl teams weren't completely finished then [see above reasons, NOT because the game was Brawl. Eat a ****, that had absolutely zero to do with it. The match times were as varied as Melee matches, meaning some were very short, most were just average time-length, and very very very few were extended matches]

Then people started having to leave since they had long drives ahead of them.

Then crews were being arranged/seeded/etc...

Then more people had to leave...

Then crews had to be REarranged...

THEN. FINALLY.

Amazing Amazing Incredible Epic Draft Crews happened [LOL my crew won...go Atomsk!!! raaaape city with that guy, omfg]

Brawl singles didn't happen because Melee was done poorly and took too long...BEFORE Brawl was played.

<3 everyone.

Go to NC on Jan. 3rd for the Melee tournament. Please.

It's only 2 hours away from here!!! ^_^

rhan

Smash Hero
Ah I see. Not trying to get people's blood boiling. Just trying to start conversation. xD

Still sounds like loads of fun though. Good ****e in draft crews. Chu needs to do one I can attend!

And if anyone from SoVA is going to the NC tourney and doesn't mind someone like me tag along....Need I say more? I can give gas moneys and scrub before I even touch the car. :p

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Sad to hear that's how Chu's tourney went down. I can't really see a tourney with no singles, but if you had fun then F**K it, right?

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah dude it was such an awesome event...probably because I made a ****load of money selling nachos LMAO it was sooo much fun hanging out with everyone. It was precisely what made me fall in love with Smash and traveling for it.

Also: SoVa got MAD respect this time around. We repped hard as **** :) [gahhhhh if only I could have finished off G-Reg like I was about to in teams...we would have won the set against him and Chillin 2-0 ;____; it was me and JCaesar, btw...double ROB XD]

Kadaaaaaaaaaaaaaj!!!!!

RAAAAPED in crews...omfg.

He's also a great wingman...

*toasty starts ****ing around in a ****-talk-inspired friendly against CK's Marth*
Kadaj: (some **** about how I shouldn't lose to any Marths there)
toasty: man I only lost to Neo!
Kadaj: you're losing right now!
toasty: gahh...alright fine I'll play seriously
Kadaj(saying this to CK): heh...you hear that? he's gonna play seriously now, son!
CK: (some crap)
toasty: *takes it back and wins*

toasty: ***** eating grin on face*
CK: *sadface*

<3 you CK!!!!

BTW: There will NO LONGER be Melee at Chudat Biweeklies unless, I'm guessing, he does a Melee exclusive tourney.

I'm down.

Lets goeeeez.

Also: someone think of a good name for me and Boss. We're teaming some time soon after he does team Rush Hour with Korn.

AlsoAlso: MELEEEEEEE!!! NC!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211146

ALSO MOTHER ****ING ALSO!
PEOPLE NEED TO POST IN MY EFFING THREAD SONNN!!! GET HYPED FOR THIS RANDOMASS TOURNEY I'M HOSTING SATURDAY AFTERNOON!!!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211462

PS: Rhan...I didn't intend to direct it personally at you or anything. My "boiling blood" post was more of a preemptive strike, if anything.

rhan

Smash Hero
It's cool. I do tend to say things that can get people steamed. So I just thought it was directed at me... Most of what I say is just utter BS though. Never take me seriously. Toasty is still my frann! I want to go to this Brawl tourney but I don't know if my dad will let me out. So it's a flip of a coin if I show up or not.

CStick

Smash Lord
so, I take it that melee is dead. It's pretty sad to see/hear/admit that, but...8-10 people? Yea. My first garage tourney had more than a tourney at Chu's...ouch. I'll always be up for Melee friendlies, but brawl just isn't my cup of tea. All I can do is Meta-Knight spam, and thats it.

Hopefully, melee will make a comeback, but it seems that there arent really any newcomers wanting to take it up, and all of us who started with SSB and Melee have grown up and moved on to tackling the game of real life, or switched to brawl. Sucks. Or, maybe it's just everyone got tired after seven years and knows where they stand in melee and don't care to put money down anymore just to see M2K and Chu in the finals again. Maybe there will be something like a Melee-FC double diamond or GS4 and melee won't be all too much lost amidst the SSBB, but...not crossing my fingers.

So, remember the good times. Remember the fun. Remember the speed and competitive edge and the memories. Remember the epic comboes that inspired your daily routine, to the character metagames that you took out and applied to your life, to the art of trash-talking that we learned from our local Otis all the way to DA in New York; remember how your gamertag became your unofficial real first name that was usually cooler than your real first name; remember the blood, sweat, tears, throwing of chairs into walls, and trivial animosity that people created on the internet just so they can meet those people in real life and act like none of it happened; remember the rebirth of sectionalism, the amount of money you spent just getting to the tourney, and the fun you had even without getting out of pools. Remember it all. Melee, we will miss you so.

Melee: 2001 - 2008

*moment of silence*

okay, so who is up for teaching me street fighter? Or, who wants to play some CoD4 or WaW?

360 GT: Cstick88

Gum

Smash Journeyman
so, I take it that melee is dead. It's pretty sad to see/hear/admit that, but...8-10 people? Yea. My first garage tourney had more than a tourney at Chu's...ouch. I'll always be up for Melee friendlies, but brawl just isn't my cup of tea. All I can do is Meta-Knight spam, and thats it.

Hopefully, melee will make a comeback, but it seems that there arent really any newcomers wanting to take it up, and all of us who started with SSB and Melee have grown up and moved on to tackling the game of real life, or switched to brawl. Sucks. Or, maybe it's just everyone got tired after seven years and knows where they stand in melee and don't care to put money down anymore just to see M2K and Chu in the finals again. Maybe there will be something like a Melee-FC double diamond or GS4 and melee won't be all too much lost amidst the SSBB, but...not crossing my fingers.

So, remember the good times. Remember the fun. Remember the speed and competitive edge and the memories. Remember the epic comboes that inspired your daily routine, to the character metagames that you took out and applied to your life, to the art of trash-talking that we learned from our local Otis all the way to DA in New York; remember how your gamertag became your unofficial real first name that was usually cooler than your real first name; remember the blood, sweat, tears, throwing of chairs into walls, and trivial animosity that people created on the internet just so they can meet those people in real life and act like none of it happened; remember the rebirth of sectionalism, the amount of money you spent just getting to the tourney, and the fun you had even without getting out of pools. Remember it all. Melee, we will miss you so.

Melee: 2001 - 2008

*moment of silence*

okay, so who is up for teaching me street fighter? Or, who wants to play some CoD4 or WaW?

360 GT: Cstick88
Haha good ****. I just ordered my stick so we can get down on some HD Remix until 4 comes out.

toasty

Smash Hero
I'd love to play you in Melee some time TJ :)
Also...you must have missed my post(s) about Genesis in California. That is the Homecoming of all that is Smash. New kids, current kids, and old school vets are all coming out to this!!!! I'm definitely planning on attending, for real for real. It's in July so there's plenty of time to plan.

It's a 3 day, Brawl and Melee tournament hosted by D.B.R.!!!!!!!!!! Insane setup from what I've heard so far! It's going to be in_sane.

There's also a Melee tourney in NC January 3rd...you down CStick?!?!? lets gooooezzzzz!!!

What you did assess about the "death of Melee" is correct though. At least in SoVa! In NoVa, the main reason Melee wasn't big was because it was scheduled so early in the morning, esp for the travelers who would usually come to this, and a lot of people had work/no money/etcetc...but more importantly??? A lot of them were at Melee-only tourneys that were closer.

The thing is that Brawl became way more popular than Melee as far as NoVa is concerned. MD is very much still into Melee, as is Pennsylvania, almost the entire North East, California [definitely California] and Brawl is dying/not catching on in a lot of places.

But we live in an odd region for Smash in general. If you really think about it, Melee wasn't that big here. It had a good explosion but within months that calmed way the hell down and people "didn't want to give their money to ____" and that became a horrible trend that was actually SO horrible we had to create a RULE that forced people to enter tourneys! That's not a successful scene in the least.

It's like those people who say "man! high school was great! remember that??? best days of our lives man!" but really: high school kinda blew for a lot of people. There were phenomenal moments, sure. But most people didn't have "the best time" in highschool...it was just a younger time with few responsibilities and we still had dreams [well, I still do but that's cuz I'm like 5 at heart].

Melee isn't officially dead so don't count it out just yet. People are still having fests, tourneys, raaaaaaape vids, etc etc etc.

Back to me saying we live in an odd region.

Throughout SoVa's Smash life, we've always seen NoVa as the promised land...the guide book, etc. Whatever rules went down at Chu's, we'd follow...the most **** tourneys were happening there and we salivated at the chance to be known or at least to meet/play/"get a stock off of" the greatest players in the country.

There is such an insane concentration of talent in NoVa/MD that beating even the scrubbiest of kids there seemed to be a grand accomplishment.

Now imagine actually living there.

Allll these many many years of playing Smash and being at the top and having the same people be in the finals with the only upsets being between the top 7 and top 20 spots. I'm pretty sure the change was refreshing for them. Brawl wasn't very well received by everyone there at first but once they saw what I claim to see in the game, it just took over the region. That's my guess anyway.

My point is that it's hard for everyone to see the grand picture of what's really happened to Melee [ie: it's not dead and it won't die] when our usual go-to spot for "what's happening in the world of Smash" is almost exclusively Brawl. It's an anomaly for sure.

CStick

Smash Lord
I'm gonna have to take your word, Toasty. I don't/havent really traveled, and don't keep up on the tabs of anything outside of the reaches of DC. Either way, I find it odd that the melee capitol of the US (yes, that was what the DC area was) is predominantly brawl - at least from what I've seen. Add in the fact that melee hasnt really attracted lots of newcomers around here (since we are a college-heavy area, which give people priorities other than v-games), and it makes sense why the scene (at least around here) is dead for melee. Not alot of young'uns around nowadays, for the exception of the NN kids. Most people like the whole 'fresh start' mentality, and thus flocked to brawl. I hate it. I hold a certain personal contempt for it, but...well, apples and oranges.

And yea, I forgot about how we had to pretty much force people to enter tourneys. I guess that was the problem: we were never a real competitive scene. after we formed the SS, there wasnt really anyone or anything that could stand up against us; every tourney was basically an unofficial SS line-up ranking session with money thrown down.

Another thing is that nobody throws **** anymore. Sure, there is the OCCASIONAL melee fest at ODU, but what esle? Zip. Nada. Maybe Otis can kick it back up again, but the whole scene was entirely dependent on him and his place or his hosting at HiScore.

If I could, I'd throw fests. No tourneys - just fests. Phuck the money. You throw in for pizza and thats it. Play until I say I'm off to bed - friendlies, $1 tourneys, whatever. Maybe when it gets warmer, I will. I'll re-open the garage, clear it out, and we can all just hang out and do just that.

I'd be down for NC, though, if people show enough melee interest. But, if it looks like I'm gonna drive five hours just to say hi to Lozr and play six people, then phuck that. We'll see though. It's like four months away.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
I mean really though Cstick, its the natural order of things. I mean even I quit Brawl, but I'm never going to go back to melee because its outdated and not worth putting more time into.

There are other things to play now. I mean obviously anyone could tell that Im more of a Street Fighter head now, but even if I wasn't, I'd play Soul Cal 4 over melee, which I still do in fact. If not SC4, then it would be Gears 2, or WaW.

The general population is gonna play Brawl regardless of how legendary melee is/was. One could have seen that that was gonna happen even before Brawl was released.

Simply put, the game is old and grey. Still fun, but masses of people are not going to want to play it at fest and tourneys because its no longer the standard.

Hell, I mean you could have a Brawl touney, and then have TvC there and end up getting more people for a TvC tourney than you would a melee tourney even though everyone there would be a smash player.

This is a much more frank assessment of the situation, and everything Toasty said was on the money. It has a lot to do with this region, but I feel like even if it wasn't the anomaly that it is, it would still be roughly the same.

@Kitsune: wtf is XBL? cuz im always down for snow bunny cammy

unrealperson4564

Smash Apprentice
Virginia Beach, VA ; I think I'm becoming a Sonic
Umm, wow I started Melee about 4 years ago now that I think about it.

But yeah, even though I'm pretty neutral on the whole Melee Brawl thing, the result was inevitable. Look at Smash 64. Stared out strong but with the release of Melee it only gained one board, and the same is happening with Melee. Like 80 Brawl Boards and a small modest amount of Melee boards.

Let's face it guys, If Nintendo released a game with only one new character and revamped physics, Brawl would still ultimately reign supreme. Not as many people are enlightened on previous iterations of games, which is why the latest main installment is usually the most widely played.

But in the end, buffalo wild wings are the true winner in all of this X_X
(Toasty don't say a word)

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Man everyone knows i dont keep up on boards lol i wont be able to make that 1. Shame
-sk

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
for those who have played TVC...hm is the blocking system weird to you? or is that just because i'm using a gc controller...also. why does every button do a hadouken? or once again is it the gc controller? lol. i'm getting sad at TVC if these are the buttons.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I like Toasty's assessment of SoVa and NoVa.

I like CStick's assessment of the Brawl situation.

Ive begun to deal less passion to my animosity toward Brawl, partially, because there arent enough people like C-Stick.

It doesnt make reasonable sense that Brawl has trumped melee in the melee capitol, but it happened.
What can you do about it? The same thing you did before Brawl came out to make melee so popular in the first place: play it, and get good at it.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I like Toasty's assessment of SoVa and NoVa.

I like CStick's assessment of the Brawl situation.

Ive begun to deal less passion to my animosity toward Brawl, partially, because there arent enough people like C-Stick.

It doesnt make reasonable sense that Brawl has trumped melee in the melee capitol, but it happened.
What can you do about it? The same thing you did before Brawl came out to make melee so popular in the first place: play it, and get good at it.
I can't believe melee died thats some utter BS.....

rhan

Smash Hero
Genesis Is being HELD BY DBR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
You're late. Everyone knew about Genesis like last week. Maybe you would have known if you was on smashboards more then allisbrawl. :/

And If I can't make it to this upcoming tourney I would like to at least play something. My dad lives close to Kellem High. Anyone near there wanna play *CO-NOugh* I'll be glad to play whatever. I'm trying to pick up SF but I'm so horrible at the game and I would like someone to teach me. Crystalnite has been helping me in a few things but not much into detail yet.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
You're late. Everyone knew about Genesis like last week. Maybe you would have known if you was on smashboards more then allisbrawl. :/

And If I can't make it to this upcoming tourney I would like to at least play something. My dad lives close to Kellem High. Anyone near there wanna play *CO-NOugh* I'll be glad to play whatever. I'm trying to pick up SF but I'm so horrible at the game and I would like someone to teach me. Crystalnite has been helping me in a few things but not much into detail yet.
I knew about Genesis For like a week I thought the dude was lying about DBR hosting it since i haven't heard much of them beside SS, Zel, and Hella.

D0N

Smash Ace
Mashi: there are three attack buttons, light, mid and heavy. no punch and kick buttons. so fireball moves can be done with any button. Basic ground combos work by doing things like light, mid, crouching mid, heavy, crouching heavy, forward heavy. Its different but it works

As for the blocking system, I dont know. I had trouble throwing but maybe it was the controller

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
yeah that's what i though too. i found that the combo system is easier. light>light>cr.mid>cr.light>launch>sj.(same as mvc2)>ryu shinkuu......does high damage...
setups are easy with him too.
light>light>cr.light>cr.light>cr.mid>cr.heavy>shinkuu
why does this connect so well?
lol. this game is funny hahaha. oh well. thanks for clearups.
throw and block is weird with controller...must test with sticks.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
You can push block in TvC by pressing A+B+C (SRK's terms for Light, Medium and Heavy respectively) to do the same thing what it did in MvC2, although you can use it on blocking ANYTHING and take no block damage.

The reason why Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken pretty much connects to anything is because it has VERY LITTLE startup, some people have already compared it to how fast Cable's AHVB was.

Oh yeah, we may be getting another Wii stick soon, so we might have two for the tournament, not sure yet.

Top Bottom