• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
the standing infinite has ALWAYS been banned by me...now, elsewhere? I have no idea. Regular chaingrab is fine and I don't think I've ever banned walk-off chaingrabs on like...Delfino or Castle Siege etc etc and I've never heard of that being a huge problem at all...so I'll keep that one in. /endofdiscussion :)

rhan

Smash Hero
If PTZR goes to this then I'll go. Maybe....I won't have a TV this time though if I do come.

And I can stay at my dad's longer. I thought I had to babysit my little bro monday but my mom's just sending him to his grandma's. I'll be in VA Beach most of next week. :)

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Yeah IC's infintes aren't :D. Hey toasty can you name some stalling things that way i dont do it

Edit: i could possibly bring my wii, it all depends.

toasty

Smash Hero
example: Pit doing his upB underneath Smashville going from ledge to ledge over and over again...

also: excessive ledge camping when there's no threat on stage that causes them to do that...what I mean is, if Falco is doing SHDL camping you and it's shutting down your approach but the Falco just keeps doing it..you have every right to get on that ledge and stay until he stops.

But if you're just being a ***** and bit by bit running out the clock by going to the ledge for no reason other than to camp there, then no...it's subject to my judgment but it's pretty much stalling.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
for D3's chaingrab anything more than 3 is considered infinite. likewise for IC's infinite. anyone who has an infinite chaingrab can only do up to 3 or else it's considered stalling. in a result of doing more than 3 grabs is a stock loss. i think it was texas rule thing. haha. the whole hylian IC's thing back then.

oh for other tournies chaingrabs are legal, but infinite can be stalling if you don't kill by the 300% mark. if you surpass that it's another stock loss for that's stalling.

ex: d3 at a wall doing chaingrab legal in some tournies, but if done more than 300% will consider stock loss.
ex2: IC's if doing the infinite chaingrab more than 300% will cause a stock loss.

oh let me add one more thing. toasty so by going along with your rules though. can i still chaingrab across final? as long as i don't do the standing one. correct? lol

Gum

Smash Journeyman
I can bring a tv but I don't have a wii anymore.

On an extremely awesome side note, in Japan you can order food through your wii on the Food Delivery Channel. You can get everything from pizza to sushi, curry, ramen, dumplings and everything! Too good!! I need that in my life.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
word...thanks for the info mang. I'll take that into consideration...can't make a final decision right this second cuz I got **** to do but I'll think about it and make an official decision at least by tourney time (sorriez).
Here is some insight on the IC cgs:

Someone asked me to come in here and shed some light reguarding the IC infinites.

I'm just going to make a few solid points so I won't go really in depth unless I need to.

Here we go:

- First of all I'm going to point out how you would justify banning D3's infinite and not IC's. Personally, I don't think D3's infinite should be banned I'm just providing reasoning for people who think it should be but the IC infinite is fine and are at a loss of words. Basically, the D3 infinite is always present in the match-up. The IC infinite is not. IC's cannot infinite if they are seperated or nana is dead. That means you have options to shut down the infinite and it actually adds depth to the matches which start to focus on strategizing ways to seperate the climbers and keep them so. The only option the 5 characters have against D3 is to not get grabbed which is pretty hard considering D3's amazing grab range and longevity. Note: I don't think D3's infinites should be banned.

- The IC infinites are not broken. The have not proven to be broken in any region, they have never upset a top player(M2K/Azen/DSF), they have never dominated a tournament. IC players struggle to make top 5 at tournaments much less win. I can't think of the last tournament an IC player won. Logically, there is no reason to remove a tactic and make a character not viable in tournaments when they are hardly viable in the first place according to results.

- Yes the Infinites are hard. That doesn't matter though. I can do them pretty much 100% and I know a few others that can as well. People shouldn't argue about how hard something is unless it dwells on the realm of impossibility in reguards to consistancy. Just pointing this out.

- Even though the IC's are able to 0-death every character they still have horrible match-ups. Rob,MK,Diddy, and a lot of other characters have significant advantages vs the climbers and are able to seperate them and avoid being grabbed at viatle moments. This have been proven true through tournament results.

- Not only do the IC's have many bad match-ups, they also are one of the easiest characters in the game to counterpick. Did you know the simple tilting of Lylat can completly throw off a chaingrab? The slants on Yoshi's island don't allow for Dthrow fair to IceBlock regrab? Any moving stage or stage with Hazards is potientially horrible for the Ice Climbers. They have so many bad stages that it's almost impossible for them to ban a stage and play on one they don't mind. Combine this with character match-ups and smart play and you have a character that can't even place high in tournaments with the ability to 0-death the entire cast.

- You have options to dismantle and shut down the infinite. The IC's can not infinite if they are not by each other when they grab an opponent. If you make it a point to seperate the climbers you create options for yourself. When you seperate them attack the CPU as it cannot DI and dies easily. As long as you can effectivly seperate them then they cannot infinite you. You have options to shut it down. Use them. Kill nana.

- You cannot feasibly ban the infinites. It is almost impossible to create a rule the covers all variations of the IC infinites(I can think of over 20 off the top of my head and that doesn't include the alt grabs.) without just banning them from grabbing in the first place. That in itself is impossible to control in a tournament setting so you would just have to ban the character alltogether. If you do manage to take away every combo they have(the infinites which can only be banned by banning pretty much every IC combo) then you just killed the character. IC's already preform horribly in tournament and you just took away the only thing they can actually use to gain leverage against their opponents. Congrats.

I posted this somewhere else >_>.

toasty

Smash Hero
I wish someone would come in here and talk that same way about D3 infinites because honestly I don't know SHlT about them and if there's a reasonable explanation that I like about why they shouldn't be banned, then I'll probably change my mind. I've only gone with a rule I've always had and no one seemed to approach me with a good reason to change that rule.

I never had any intention of banning the ICs infinites in any way because of everything Hylian said [thanks, btw!].

Chaingrabs across a stage are perfectly legit with D3 and I think I'll maintain my stay on walk-off chaingrabs as I don't think I've ever banned them and it's never caused a huge problem :)

But this whole thing is an old conversation we don't need to revisit any more.

Just to clarify: until someone can give me a good explanation as to why D3 infinites are okay [standing/standing at the edge], consider them banned. Don't even try them.

Sorriez, I'm not gonna waste time nitpicking about how many times is "okay"...it's just easier to shut it down altogether instead of leaving a grey area like there is for stalling, which I'm not a fan of but it's harder to define in Brawl because you can abuse it moreso than in Melee [cue the Melee kids who say that you could still do that in Melee with Sheik etc and it was never banned....................clearly missed my point: there's just more of that in Brawl and it's more effective and ******** >_>]

Oh right lemme give a good example.

And I suppose I could just call this Pl@nking.

I think I was playing against Kadaj's Samus in a friendly...I don't remember if he lost a stock or not before this happened and I don't even remember who I was using. But he just ran to the edge...kept ledgedropping, upB, ledgedrop, upB...over and over again. I didn't even have a spammy shutdown to his approach or anything of that nature. THAT was his approach. Being dumb until it would eventually frustrate me [since it was a friendly, I went for something] and then he'd shut down, from the edge, whatever approach I tried.

You can do that a few times, sure, and if your opponent falls for the trap like I did in this example, that's his fault. But if he's just standing there and all you're doing is ledge camping like that for no reason and you do it for an extended period of time, you lose that stock.

It runs out clocks, makes tournament play dumb, and yeah it's just not going to be allowed. If you encounter this, you gotta call it and tell me what's happened. If you see it happening, lemme know.

See everyone tomorrow :)

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
oh last thing one more clarification. is d3's chaingrab at a wall considered standing infinite? cause i know standing and edge but wall. lol. last thing before i do something stupid and lose a life. >-<. oh and i can still walk off chaingrab? right? haha. i don't think this tourney will apply to anyone but me. that's why i don't wanna do something dumb.

toasty

Smash Hero
Walk off chain grab is fine.
Chain grab into a wall is fine so long as you stop at a % where you could CLEARLY kill the guy with another throw or a tilt after the throw etc etc...no point in chaining him past 300 you know? It just wastes time when the stock is clearly yours. I say if you take it past that, he can call stalling on you, and that's the ONLY time he could.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
If PTZR goes to this then I'll go. Maybe....I won't have a TV this time though if I do come.

And I can stay at my dad's longer. I thought I had to babysit my little bro monday but my mom's just sending him to his grandma's. I'll be in VA Beach most of next week. :)
.... loser

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
will there be friendlies earlier? like before tourney. need warmups =]. someone play me haha. if there is i'll go earlier

toasty

Smash Hero
but really...we're only allowed in at 4 because that's when a previous event ends. Showing up AT 4 and BRINGING WIIS will guarantee that everyone gets adequate warmup time! I wish people understood this [thanks to those who said they can bring Wiis though :)]

I double post because I'm cooler than you. It makes me feel pretty good about myself. Being 24. Living at home. Playing games. Having internet D-List fame. ****ing awesome.

^this is what happens when toasty doesn't get fed ;__; I'm gonna go eat.

See everyone at 4.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
for D3's chaingrab anything more than 3 is considered infinite. likewise for IC's infinite. anyone who has an infinite chaingrab can only do up to 3 or else it's considered stalling. in a result of doing more than 3 grabs is a stock loss. i think it was texas rule thing. haha. the whole hylian IC's thing back then.

oh for other tournies chaingrabs are legal, but infinite can be stalling if you don't kill by the 300% mark. if you surpass that it's another stock loss for that's stalling.

ex: d3 at a wall doing chaingrab legal in some tournies, but if done more than 300% will consider stock loss.
ex2: IC's if doing the infinite chaingrab more than 300% will cause a stock loss.

oh let me add one more thing. toasty so by going along with your rules though. can i still chaingrab across final? as long as i don't do the standing one. correct? lol
wtf. and who the hell will moderate every game just to look for someone to infinite?

U know what's banned in Marvel? NOTHING! unless it breaks the game (literally)
sooo not worth moderating

Neither I nor shaeman will be showing for Brawl

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
crystalnite...read things slower next time. i gave toasty ideas from other tournies. cause he wanted to know about d3's infinite. real tournies though. also up in nova. all these basically legal. infinites and standing infinites. toasty even said he's trying something new like the YI counter. so just ideas from other tournies.

rhan

Smash Hero
Are you guys going to NC for Melee next weekend???

I need a headcount of everyone so we can sort out rides etc because it appears there's a lot of random interest from people I know...
I'm sure we would like to go. I would most def. But No ride = no place to go. And I'm not sure if my dad would let me out.

P.S > I can't go to the tourney today. It turns out I have to babysit my little sister today... -.-

ttocs

Smash Rookie
sorry i had to peace out early tonight, had something to do <_<

had fun though :)

i 3-stocked sen in tourney, that's accomplishment enough

toasty

Smash Hero
I need to double check the date with BlackG but I need to know what the interest is:

Singles tourney January 10th? MAAAYBE teams as well...

It'll be cheap :)

edit: if Caboose is back in town and is able to hook me up again with that place on campus, then we'll run teams and singles at ODU like before. But if not, there's only enough room for so many setups at BlackG's, especially sitting room, so I'll have to see what's up.

I'll get back to everyone on this.

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
wtf. and who the hell will moderate every game just to look for someone to infinite?

U know what's banned in Marvel? NOTHING! unless it breaks the game (literally)
sooo not worth moderating

Neither I nor shaeman will be showing for Brawl
the person who's being infinited can call the rule... its really not that hard
the same rule was applied to wobbling in melee at some tournies

Top Bottom