• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry Guys... come to WATO!!!!! same weekend. Link 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovage

Smash Hero
you sound like a tool. as someone who apparently has been reading and lurking etc for 2004 you sure as hell dun give us any credit whatsoever in comprehension.

I'd respect it more if you and whoever made the decision just said what was on your minds. Its stuff like that that makes some of us disrespect MLG the way we do.

its not rocket science:

Brawl is new, has more guaranteed life since its new and has a young/growing community(which I commend cuz i called its downfall 1.5yrs ago and Im actaully considering getting into it) and is more of a commercial success. Your investment is(or at least seems to be) more safe and more likely to yield a greater profit and commercial success with brawl than it is with melee. Just say something along the lines of that and I'll shut up. That cliche' bull**** statement quoted is kinda a smack in the face. some of us up here are smart enough to understand corporate/executive decisions, but it doesn't mean we'll shutup about it. You could always ban all the melee ppl or something if you dun like it. Being surprised by a backlash from a community that started with melee only shows your lack of knowledge about our community. No things aren't gonna change if we cry melee until the end of time, but we move on to get smarter sponsors etc and you guys will still do ur thing.
banned for speaking the TRUTH
get em swift

pssst if you havn't guessed that's why a lot of people don't respect MLG, because they support the newest, casual games with big audiences (WoW, halo 3, brawl) because they bring in the money instead of very good, old games that the community have vouched for like melee, quake, halo 2 etc

and it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint, even if you're looking to expand esports in the USA, picking up WoW and brawl makes perfect sense, even if the price is the games suck and are boring.

that's all i'll say about this, please don't take this as the bitter old melee player being jealous of the young money from MLG, i'm happy for the brawl community but it doesn't mean much because the people who have been playing melee for 5 years are playing it out of love of the game and the community(not money) so we're not going anywhere.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
That is exactly what has been said...many many times. Check the announcement thread and the thread in the brawl gen discussion. This stuff isn't secluded to this thread. Or just search the posts made by clap, who is the highest ranking person from MLG posting on this website.
I don't check the announcement thread in brawl discussion because I don't play brawl. From what I see people in MLG are seemingly lacking professionalism after reading the discussion in this thread, and it's this guy who has lead me to have this belief.

Anyway I don't care that much at all and i'm not trying to start trouble. Couldn't help but point that out though.

-dorsey... meant to sign out

Handorin

Smash Hero
Quoted before an edit.

Cliche? What is cliche about stating FACTS? CRTs, Gamecubes, SSBM are extinct in major retailers. How do you expect NEW audience to pick up your game? Scour ebay for equipment?

This is my final post on this board as I've already spent more time than I can spare posting.

I recommend banning this guy for any moderators. Pretty audacious that it has degraded to this point.
Doesn't Brawl lag on most HD TVs, like Melee? I don't play it much myself, and when I do, it is on a crt. IIRC, it was a big deal at some tournament.

(Mainly quoting this because CRTs was brought up as a point).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah brawl lags on hdtvs. if it didn't melee wouldn't either (when played on wii's anyway)

it's just the upscaling technology that the tvs use. there are some lagless hdtv's, i've played on one before...they're just stupidly expensive

rhan

Smash Hero
This has gotten out of hand... Intabans for having an opinion?

Honestly let Brawl have it's fun then crash.

Melee heads: STFU and stop trying to fight the power.

Brawl heads: Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
wow...really?

you guys gotta honestly calm down. i know alot of you are high schoolers, but act like you got some sense or something

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Get this **** out of planks thread

Talk about the tournament, this is teh GAMME thread not the MLG thread, shut the **** up

Get em AZ

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
mlg ruining smash relations now great

brawl and melee was doing ok b4 they ****ed up the entire summer.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
I will openly respond to this as you are obviously dealing with something behind the scenes that I'm not privy to.

First off, I only responded in this thread to clear up the fact that we are NOT planning against community events. That is not and never will be our intention.

Second, if I offended anyone with my open explanation of why Melee is not on the circuit, then I really am sorry. However, the ire that was aimed at MLG and at me personally was not acceptable.

Third, and I explained this to JV and some others already, the open warfare on this forum needs to stop. I am pretty shocked at how much goes on here that is not acceptable. The behavior on this forum is not in line with what we want as a league.

I'm really sorry that you felt the need to post a private message, but I stand by what I said: If you hold the moderator tag then you should be on the staff team. If you disagree with your team you should do that in private. I did not know anything about your resignation.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
I will also say that I personally fought tooth and nail for Smash's inclusion for 2-3 years. I have been your greatest ally at MLG. I only wish there was a bit of harmony on this website...you are all one community.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I will also say that I personally fought tooth and nail for Smash's inclusion for 2-3 years. I have been your greatest ally at MLG. I only wish there was a bit of harmony on this website...you are all one community.
trust me man, thats what me, and every other brawler in existance, has been wishing for...for the past two years

outlook looks grim though. Melee players keep acting like its a giant gang war or something, when it really isnt that serious :laugh:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The thing is, we're not, and you guys REALLY need to understand that. This isn't "Smash" it's "Brawl" and "Melee" and when you make comments like "It's time to move on" it just makes the melee players justifiably angry because we have nothing to move on to, it's you saying "Just let your game die." We fight for recognition because we deserve it. Our game continues to have some of the largest tournament numbers for non-sponsored events and we continue to grow larger, but when an executive comes in and says "Move on to Brawl" all you're going to get is straight hate. That's you ignoring us, our game and our community.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
:3 Players on both sides just make baseless assumptions about those on the other side as a whole, accusing one side of being the haters and pretending that their side never tries to snipe the other.

Most of the ones causing problems for anyone are scrubs and refuse to let anyone have their say if it isn't in line with their thinking. Everyone else just states their preference and plays accordingly.

SWF just needs to learn how not to feed the trolls.

The thing is, we're not, and you guys REALLY need to understand that. This isn't "Smash" it's "Brawl" and "Melee" and when you make comments like "It's time to move on" it just makes the melee players justifiably angry because we have nothing to move on to, it's you saying "Just let your game die." We fight for recognition because we deserve it. Our game continues to have some of the largest tournament numbers for non-sponsored events and we continue to grow larger, but when an executive comes in and says "Move on to Brawl" all you're going to get is straight hate. That's you ignoring us, our game and our community.
And this post is basically the other side of the coin. While we're both "Smash", it really is just "Brawl" and "Melee". Two completely different skill sets, learning curves, and styles of play. The differences in competitive play is not as small as they might have been from just moving from one shooter game to the next- but that's just me saying something about competitive shooters that I know nothing about. ;P

-DD

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Clap that is not what this is about.

It is about the community feeling upset about basically this being announced after we all announced our events months ahead of time.

I support brawl and melee and both GAMME and Apex are tournaments people are looking forward to and now GAMME brawl attendence is affected because you guys come in and announce your tournaments.

MLG is WALMART and we , the community run tournament hosts, are the local 99cent stores. You come in without a second thought saying BRAWL ON MLG. Yes I am happy that you are supporting us again but at the same time I , as a former MLG Halo ONE player know that you guys are also going to do the following.

- WHATEVER YOU WANT

basically what you say will go and you will not care what we have to say. I could name people who agree with me that WORK for mlg but im worried for their own jobs. Bottom line you do not care for the community as you say but rather you are a biz doing biz things. I respect that but remember we did fine WITHOUT you for years. The child you said you loved is now a Teenager who wants to do things on his own and can do anything they put their mind to.

- SPONSORSHIP DRAMA

Remember companies like VVV, MOB, EMPIRE ARCADIA and all the drama they bring with being known as the best sponsor company. This is all due , mostly not entirely, due to MLG. These companies are like snakes and will eat up players and ruin their lives. Some of these companies FORCE people to play at the expense of their school and lives. When you pick up a game remember these people will do what it takes to make their money.

In relation to MLG you will also sponsor players. Will WE as a community need to worry about situations like at the WSVG where there was almost a lawsuit because you wanted players to where your tags and if not you will not let them play? Will lan centers lose biz because you want 100% control over a game like you did with Halo making all tournaments not in MLG lose attendance. Do I want to hear that sponsored players are not coming to GAMME or APEX or AIRSHIP cause you did not give them permission to? YES I DO KNOW AND SEEN CONTRACTS YOU GUYS HAVE GREAT FOR BIZ BUT HORRID FOR COMMUNITIES.

Honestly Clap I have known of you for years and worked with you guys via Gotfrag please respect the community and stop trying to stoop to others levels.

I can bring up a lot of stuff MLG has done and probably will do again to communities but I will leave that out of here. Hopefully this time you will RELEASE the footage for tournaments instead of magically LOSE it like you did with Melee.

D

Deleted member

ignoring melee is fine, it's not about melee or any game. it's about protecting our players in the larger picture from an entity that we shouldn't need protection from. I am only defending players that have been in the scene, active, helping our community.

turning down an offer from MLG for brawl is stupid, thats not what I'm doing.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP

When I say 'Its time to move on', I mean in terms of being on the Pro Circuit at MLG. I have said all throughout my posts that I love Melee, and MLG is not trying to stop anyone from playing it or having tournaments for it.

I'm sorry if I was perceived as saying to move on entirely. I have a Halo 1 CRT lan set up in my rec room....trust me I understand how much you can love your favorite game. I hope you realize too that I'm the same person that set up the Smash grass roots circuit, giving JV the power to help out the community. I"m on your side. I'm sorry that it was perceived poorly.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
When I say 'Its time to move on', I mean in terms of being on the Pro Circuit at MLG. I have said all throughout my posts that I love Melee, and MLG is not trying to stop anyone from playing it or having tournaments for it.

I'm sorry if I was perceived as saying to move on entirely. I have a Halo 1 CRT lan set up in my rec room....trust me I understand how much you can love your favorite game. I hope you realize too that I'm the same person that set up the Smash grass roots circuit, giving JV the power to help out the community. I"m on your side. I'm sorry that it was perceived poorly.
:3 Does MLG have any PR guys? A little bit of precise wording can go a long way, then this kind of thing can just not happen lol.

Or post video messages. Facial and vocal information can prevent things from being "read wrong".
-DD

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
melee vs brawl final say on my part

OK here is the thing

I am someone who likes both games and MLG, or rather CLAP cause MLG would not post anything responding to this, You should not be telling ANYONE to move on.

THIS IS NOT HALO you do not own us or bungie and we have something here called a CHOICE. You do not force us to move to a new game no matter how bad you want to. Some like melee some like brawl and some like both. It is called opinions. I love that both games are supported so much and to be quiet honest we did fine without you.

I remember when people moved to Halo 2 we hated it and asked MLG To support halo 1 as well. Sadly all we got was one little lan in KS or MD i forget where but it was not supported by mlg. We were told move on games dead. This Smash community is not built that way. You decide to not include us for years and this happens...we have 2 GREAT games with 2 GREAT communities despite what anyone thinks otherwise...sure one game maybe better to others than the others but we all have health tournaments with great atmospheres.

Enough of this bull**** and for once lets talk about GAMME.

I will be coming for brawl and melee regardless so people lets talk about that or take this to PM

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood if I was perceived as saying to move on entirely. I have a Halo 1 CRT lan set up in my rec room....trust me I understand how much you can love your favorite game. I hope you realize too that I'm the same person that set up the Smash grass roots circuit, giving JV the power to help out the community. I"m on your side. I'm sorry that it was perceived poorly.
It's just that some of the stuff you said came off as, idk, uninformed. You were correct in saying that Brawl has never had a major national sponsor like Melee had but you also seemed to insinuate that that's the only reason Melee posts the numbers it does. That however is entirely not true. Melee has throughout 2009 and already in 2010 posted higher numbers than ever for tournament attendance with a majority being players who were NOT a part of the 2007 scene.

Brawl has a right to major sponsorships, it's earned it. But at the same time, Melee too has earned at least some recognition that we're obviously not going to get.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
And users getting banned for posting their opinions.
I'm sorry but as I said before, this site is linked as one of our online properties from MLGpro.com. Some of the posts on this forum were really...not something we would want to be associated with. This forum is lawless in comparison to MLGpro.com or other websites we own/manage.

You have to remember with more exposure, this community is going to grow even more. You guys want that and MLG will want that as well. Lets not run people off before they even get immersed in what I know is a great community.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
users getting infracted for trolling, more like. the infraction points just set him over the edge.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
And users getting banned for posting their opinions.
They weren't banned for posting their opinions exactly. In the case of me, I didn't ban anyone. I gave infraction points. Whether or not they already had points so the ones I gave put them over 6 (to which makes them banned) is beyond me and not my fault, that is their fault.

For the specific posts infracted and/or banned, it's easy to see where they cross the line from opinion to what our users just shouldn't say, especially after warnings.

And I'm taking the contrary to Pink Reaper, this isn't just Brawl or Melee, but this is Smash, and I can wholeheartedly say as a member of both communities since '07 that I'm glad to see any of them flourish.

We don't have to be a split community, even if you prefer one game and not the other, you don't have to speak against the other community. We are all united here under Smashboards, people who act in such outlandish ways whether it be flaming players from other games, calling people liers, poking fun of others, or just not following standard forum etiquette such as not spamming, censor dodging, etc will be dealt with whether they like it or not.

We are here to keep the best united smash community, and that's what we will do.

td;dr - Everyone cut the **** and have a good time no matter what event you go to :laugh:

Edit: and people, lets stop this discussion here in the GAMME thread. Come on everyone, keep this thread focused on gamme, I'm sure Plank and the other TOs don't want to hear about this stuff in here lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom