• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry Guys... come to WATO!!!!! same weekend. Link 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
lol @ "we're all smashers"

when clearly there is a divide between the two groups

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
basically what you say will go and you will not care what we have to say. I could name people who agree with me that WORK for mlg but im worried for their own jobs. Bottom line you do not care for the community as you say but rather you are a biz doing biz things. I respect that but remember we did fine WITHOUT you for years. The child you said you loved is now a Teenager who wants to do things on his own and can do anything they put their mind to.
MLG does listen, in fact this is the reason MLG is as successful as they are. The very fact the Clap is here, listening to everything that is posted, should show that they care. They aren't gonna willy nilly make rules for the game, they are gonna look at what our standard is and model their rules after that with maybe some minor tweaks.

I can't really comment on other communities cause I know you were pretty deep in the H1 scene but at least in respect to Smash MLG has always been very good to us and very generous and Clap especially has had our back for many years.

What MLG won't listen to are, say, scheduling events around underground community events. Cause MLG's events cost well over 1 million dollars to put on and require scheduling well in advance and, simply put, they can't simultaneously schedule an event around big events in the Smash community, Halo community, WoW community, and Tekken 6 community all at the same time.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Anyone who has hosted a regional or especially a national events should be able to grasp maybe 10% of the difficulty of scheduling these MLG events lol.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
we all do. I talked to clap he understands where im coming from XD and vice versa

lets play nice now guys:)

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Wow @ all the brawl **** talk.

EDIT - I dont get what you guys are trying to accomplish, have been talking **** about brawl for about 2 years now and yet our tournament numbers are still high as **** and everyone still plays the game. I just think that melee *****z are mad that Brawl ***** their shine and mad that MLG picked it up. Go cry to your mothers none of us want to hear that ****, y'all aren't stopping is.

Tink

Smash Hero
chibo said:
Anyone who has hosted a regional or especially a national events should be able to grasp maybe 10% of the difficulty of scheduling these MLG events lol.

heh...Considering MLG is a pretty big company with sponsors(rather then jus 1 or 2 ppl organizing a tournament), i think your percent there is way off. they also get help from the game's communities as well.

id love to go to this...ill try!

edit: anti, ur stupid...that is all.

M@v

Subarashii!
lol @ "we're all smashers"

when clearly there is a divide between the two groups
you keep thinking that. Most of the players I know love both games, so keep living in your melee-only fantasy world. Smashboards is A communITY to me.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
you keep thinking that. Most of the players I know love both games, so keep living in your melee-only fantasy world. Smashboards is A communITY to me.
I love both games, but there is a divide. Unless both sides are treated equal there will always be some issue somewhere.

Smashboards is a community, Melee and Brawl are their sub-communities. Just look at the boards setup LOL.
-DD

D20

Smash Lord
Guys... Pound 4. Brawl needs MLG more than Melee.

The community is rightly divided on some issues. The games are too different.

SiN:Wrath

Smash Apprentice
Love both games!! Wish I could play more Brawl as I enjoyed it from the day it came out but Melee is a more accessible community to me.

Both sides are looking at this all wrong and I've believed that from the beginning. Melee is like the older brother who's worked his *** off to get recognized and gain what his always wanted from his family but is over looked for the younger brother because he's showing real promise at a young age. Melee is mad at the little brother and won't speak to him because he feels betrayed and directs his anger at him for WHAT?! Brawl has done nothing wrong and would just like a little respect from the older brother of Melee for having the immediate potential it did. Melee got Smash on the radar and will continue to be a popular game and gain more and more followers because of all the hard work the community puts into making itself known. Brawl will hopefully be the same way. And when the next Smash game comes out we can all join hands and bash the crap out of it while secretly playing it in our basements.

All hail S.M.A.S.H.- Society. Making. Anything. Seem. Hopeful.(as a Whole community)!!
Love to all Melee and Brawl smashers out there!!

SiN:Wrath out.

- Oh and just so you all know..... LINK is the BEST CHARACTER EVER IN ANY SMASH GAME EVER!!!!!!!! ;D

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Some of you Melee guys are really ultimately doing us a disservice with some of your posts, as there's less of a chance that an MLG rep will actually listen to what a more tactful Melee player will have to say about the issue. I of course am disappointed that Melee isn't getting picked up but this is better than nothing, and can still open up the doors for Melee. You've got every right to ask questions (though I question using this thread as a vehicle for doing that), but getting indignant is not going to help you or Melee.

SleepyK

what kind of post is this? there is clearly a divide. i have no qualms with any of the brawl players i've encountered and i often go to brawl only events to hang out with them despite not playing brawl. however, this is not the norm as a whole. it simply doesn't make sense for a melee only or brawl only player to travel out of state or 2+ hours to go to a tournament for a game they don't play. it doesn't make sense given the smash demographic as the vast majority of the players are young or working.

pardon my poor choice of wording. a divide does not indicate animosity, merely a separation. the two just don't mingle as their tournaments are separate - and if they're connected, smash is a game in which you are rewarded chiefly for your in-person practice, so most of the time you are with the community of the game you play and often don't have a reason to mix in with the other community.

it's great that you enjoy both games and your area is lucky enough to have a combined community. your experience is not universal, so please don't accuse me of living in a "fantasy world." the games are intrinsically different and thus attract different people.

also ya nice playing melee rofl great fl tourney results

I love both games, but there is a divide. Unless both sides are treated equal there will always be some issue somewhere.

Smashboards is a community, Melee and Brawl are their sub-communities. Just look at the boards setup LOL.
-DD
nick is correct. even the moderation is carefully considered to handle both communities as separate wholes - because they are.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero

EDIT - I dont get what you guys are trying to accomplish, have been talking **** about brawl for about 2 years now and yet our tournament numbers are still high as **** and everyone still plays the game. I just think that melee *****z are mad that Brawl ***** their shine and mad that MLG picked it up. Go cry to your mothers none of us want to hear that ****, y'all aren't stopping is.
this made me lul.... hysterically.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
what kind of post is this? there is clearly a divide. i have no qualms with any of the brawl players i've encountered and i often go to brawl only events to hang out with them despite not playing brawl. however, this is not the norm as a whole. it simply doesn't make sense for a melee only or brawl only player to travel out of state or 2+ hours to go to a tournament for a game they don't play. it doesn't make sense given the smash demographic as the vast majority of the players are young or working.

ed to handle both communities as separate wholes - because they are.
i think all he was trying to say, is though there is an obvious divide, he is one of the few people that actually consider, and want to see this community as a whole. I understand not all melee people are D bags, but there are a select Nazi melee players who just want to rain on brawl players parade. there is absolutely no reason this community should not be one. if u dont play brawl, dont talk or even bother with it. same if u dont play melee. i mean this is the same **** that happens in real life with racism in dem dare segregation times; picking at one another out of jealously or delusional superiority. its pathetic and embarrassing is all im saying; and yes, this is mostly directed at the MELEE players because normally its the BRAWL players trying to defend themselves.

SleepyK

his intentions were clearly to insinuate that live in a "fantasy world" where brawl and melee are divided unlike his happy combo world.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
@Villi :
You realize that by pointing at one group being the aggressor over the other you're giving off the sense of that same delusional superiority, right? Lulz.

Its not always one or the other. Both communities do it just as much, whether you choose to see it or not.

Just thought you ought to know.
-DD

SleepyK

no my side is right and is the victim here

which side

both

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
@Villi :
You realize that by pointing at one group being the aggressor over the other you're giving off the sense of that same delusional superiority, right? Lulz.

Its not always one or the other. Both communities do it just as much, whether you choose to see it or not.

Just thought you ought to know.
-DD
wow.... i'm actually worried this is a troll, but i will respond anyway. well first i'm sorry if i somehow contradicted myself, but on the boards it is normally a melee player attacking a brawl player because of [insert reason here] i cant really think of any reason a brawl player would attack a melee player without it being provoked. im not saying it hasn't happened, and im not saying that people dont do it... im saying that a HUGE majority of it, is a melee player **** talking on brawl. lol i mean the top melee players have even mentioned how there community rags on brawl all the time,u had to of seen the pound 4 thread. i dont see how u could be so blind. but if this is a troll.. then u got me cause i wasted 48 seconds writing this. :/

SleepyK

wow.... i'm actually worried this is a troll, but i will respond anyway. well first i'm sorry if i somehow contradicted myself, but on the boards it is normally a brawl player attacking a melee player because of [insert reason here] i cant really think of any reason a melee player would attack a brawl player without it being provoked. im not saying it hasn't happened, and im not saying that people dont do it... im saying that a HUGE majority of it, is a brawl player **** talking on melee. lol i mean the top brawl players have even mentioned how there community rags on melee all the time,u had to of seen the pound 4 thread. i dont see how u could be so blind. but if this is a troll.. then u got me cause i wasted 48 seconds writing this. :/

do you see the problem here with what you're saying?

you're just exemplifying the fact that we're a divided community and that m@v is quite wrong. you are superior to the melee community because you don't attack them, right?

..wait what?

who's wrong here?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
wow.... i'm actually worried this is a troll, but i will respond anyway. well first i'm sorry if i somehow contradicted myself, but on the boards it is normally a melee player attacking a brawl player because of [insert reason here] i cant really think of any reason a brawl player would attack a melee player without it being provoked. im not saying it hasn't happened, and im not saying that people dont do it... im saying that a HUGE majority of it, is a melee player **** talking on brawl. lol i mean the top melee players have even mentioned how there community rags on brawl all the time,u had to of seen the pound 4 thread. i dont see how u could be so blind. but if this is a troll.. then u got me cause i wasted 48 seconds writing this. :/
We rag on Brawl, sure, but no one goes out and picks fights over it. Its no different than making fun of Lady Gaga's hair or something. Its different, and we make fun of it. ****s and giggles, something to talk about, etc.

Either side can walk into any topic and take any comment as a sort of impetus to an argument. Its a forum - text's spoken inflections are only created as the reader intends them to be.

I could have taken your previous post personally and just gone off on you like an orangutan, which is exactly how many of these things start.

For example:
Someone known for playing Brawl makes a comment about Fox's USmash or something[not trying to start anything, either!], then some Fox player walks in and talks about Metaknight[because he feels attacked by the Fox comment], and then the sparks are flying.

Its just not conducive to healing a rift in a community if there are still people pointing fingers.

I'm not trying to troll, I'm being sincere.~</3 DX

but holy crap I'm gay for SleepyK. That 3 line poem was a masterpiece.
-DD

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
do you see the problem here with what you're saying?

you're just exemplifying the fact that we're a divided community and that m@v is quite wrong. you are superior to the melee community because you don't attack them, right?

..wait what?

who's wrong here?
i think ur reading this all wrong bro. i stated in my previous post that we ARE divided, and that M@V would like for this community to NOT be divided. im not saying we are superior because we dont start stuff, i actually dont remember saying that once. what is it ur not understanding? yes i put most of the blame on the melee community because normally it is the melee community that starts a big fuss.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
i think ur reading this all wrong bro. i stated in my previous post that we ARE divided, and that M@V would like for this community to NOT be divided. im not saying we are superior because we dont start stuff, i actually dont remember saying that once. what is it ur not understanding? yes i put most of the blame on the melee community because normally it is the melee community that starts a big fuss.
*History Lesson* At the creation of the Treaty Of Versailles, all of Europe and the United States basically sat in a room with the German representative, each taking a stab at Germany telling them everything about World War I was their fault, implying they should suffer punishment. Punishment came in the form of significant financial loss in order to pay for the destruction wrought upon the nations by Germany, leaving them broke and to fend for themselves. Then they sat around in their own ruins for a little while before Hitler[Nazi] popped his head in and started blaming other people to rally up, ultimately causing WWII.

With that being said:
I think the issue is with how you and basically anyone who is fighting in a melee v. brawl argument are wording things.

You compared a select few of the melee community to be "Nazis".
Clear negative connotation, unless you are one.

Then you say its the melee community that starts most of the problems, like how "Nazis" started World War II.
Which they did, and that is generally accepted to be a bad thing.

By placing blame on one community over the other, it just breeds contempt and repeats a cycle.

What happened to Germany at the end of WWII wasn't exactly a great fix, but at least they didn't try destroy the world again.

So yeah, do you get it now? x_x;;

Solution isn't to "HEY YOU PLAY BRAWL/MELEE DON'T TALK ABOUT MELEE/BRAWL [IN A BAD WAY!]!! OH GREAT NOW WE'RE FIGHTING THIS IS YOUR FAULT AS USUAL."

Instead it is "Hey, you have pointed out a flaw that is in my chosen and/or preferred game. While your points may be misguided due to lack of actual experience, let me assure you there are[hopefully] ways to play around and rise above this flaw."
-DD

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Some people express their distaste for brawl too much, I admit. But is this an excuse for taking the issue on a personal level and insult someone(melee elitist d-bag, etc.) for cutting down your video game?

No, I don't think so. I like our brawl scene; there are just as many brawl players that I like to be around than in melee. Every one is cool. That being said, when 'melee players' get blamed and generalized like i've seen on this thread it makes you that said it look ignorant. And it will only encourage the melee scene to generalize brawlers right back for those views. Anyway....

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Guys, everyone needs to chill out.

I have known Clap a long time and the guy really does love Smash kids and has done a lot for this community. Just the fact that a Vice President of a company is coming to these boards and trying to communicate with the players shows how much this guy cares about seeing our community succeed. Considering that he fought to get Brawl on the tour and has always been a friend to Smashers, I think a little respect is due. He cares about grassroots events and trust me when I say he'd be happy to have Melee continue to have a vibrant tournament life.

Like he said, he knows what its like have to move on from your favorite game, even if you still love it. This guy was a dedicated Halo 1 guy who was deeply involved in the grassroots scene for it, but has moved on to the Halo 2 and then to 3 with the company because that's how business works. But just because he makes good business decisions doesn't mean that Clap disrespects Melee, the players or the community in any way. This is a really good guy who cares about our community succeeding and people are getting way too personal with the attacks in here.

What's good for Brawl is good for Melee guys. If Brawl gets bigger, then more people will be coming to local events and they are going to be able to see both Melee and Brawl at those events and some of those new players are going to get interested in Melee. So if Brawl grows through this, then everyone gets something from it. There is no need to attack each other. There is no need to be disrespectful. We're only self-destructive by acting this way, so for the good of everyone let's try to all simmer down, be respectful and be excited for the good MLG is going to do for our community.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Some people express their distaste for brawl too much, I admit. But is this an excuse for taking the issue on a personal level and insult someone(melee elitist d-bag, etc.) for cutting down your video game?

No, I don't think so. I like our brawl scene; there are just as many brawl players that I like to be around than in melee. Every one is cool. That being said, when 'melee players' get blamed and generalized like i've seen on this thread it makes you that said it look ignorant. And it will only encourage the melee scene to generalize brawlers right back for those views. Anyway....
Gotta agree here. The generalizations are really unfair to everybody and does nothing for the reputation of both Smash communities but a disservice.

Do I like Brawl? Not really. I used to play it at a higher level, and will play it if it's knockin' about, but I still prefer Melee. Does that mean that I, as a Melee person, am always going to disrespect Brawl whenever I get the chance? Because if you go by the generalizations I've heard, the answer would be yes.

The fact that we're having this debate shows that there is, indeed, a divide between the two groups Just look at the layout of the boards. Brawl and Melee people have been segregated to their own areas. They're both Smash, and many people play both games, but many people play both CS and TF2.

I'm just saying that to deny that the Smash community is divided between the two games is turning a blind eye to the obvious.

It's split three ways. Brawl, Melee, and 64. Obviously.

White_Mike

Smash Lord
I honestly can't believe how ungrateful some people are towards MLG. Obviously they didn't book the same day as this to hurt this tourney and this is a huge opportunity for Brawl to grow.

I say support Brawl at Columbus and enjoy the amazing experience while Melee players **** this.

It be cool if Melee turnout at this exceeded Brawl turnout at MLG lol.

M@v

Subarashii!
Code:

pardon my poor choice of wording. a divide does not indicate animosity, merely a separation. the two just don't mingle as their tournaments are separate - and if they're connected, smash is a game in which you are rewarded chiefly for your in-person practice, so most of the time you are with the community of the game you play and often don't have a reason to mix in with the other community.

it's great that you enjoy both games and your area is lucky enough to have a combined community. your experience is not universal, so please don't accuse me of living in a "fantasy world." the games are intrinsically different and thus attract different people.

also ya nice playing melee rofl great fl tourney results

nick is correct. even the moderation is carefully considered to handle both communities as separate wholes - because they are.
Noob 1 says hi ;)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Wow. Just wasted mad time reading all this. Was just looking to get a response for saying I hope melee is still at this cause I bought my plane tickets. We really need separate websites or something. <_<

Edit : Anyone who plays brawl exclusively should go to MLG. Its a huge opportunity for brawl. I support plank and his tournaments, but it would be really foolish to come to this over that if you play exclusively brawl. If you play both games tho by all means come here and then maybe MLG will realize that having both games attracts more overall attendees and as always the melee turnout will be huge and support plank anyways. :)

melee people are only bitter that mlg picked it up instead of melee because its a horrible game in relation lol.

GSUB

Smash Lord
No Silent Wolf! I'm definitely mad that my shine got *****!
Because you know, EVERYONE uses spacies...

Nah, really, I'm just bitter, like sw said, because in comparison, it's a HORRIBLE game.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i'll just repeat my song i guess.
ok, well since we obviously dont understand each other, ill just quit the bickering.

@darkdragon. im still pretty sure ur a troll, cause alot **** u say dosent make sense... but ill feed u again by saying im sorry if the only thing u got out of my message were negative.

@silent wolf- mlg picking up brawl would explain the recent outburst from melee people, but what about how they have been treating the game prior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom