• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry Guys... come to WATO!!!!! same weekend. Link 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Not that it really matters, but its an internet forum. Anybody can register here, and many people just come on here for the sake of pissing other people off.

If you get an impression of how our community is based solely on the occasional argument on the internet then I really think you should re-evaluate how you perceive groups of people. Upon visiting the MLG forums for the first time I found several idiotic posters, several arguments, and a huge rift between Halo 2 and Halo 3 supporters, as well as MoW1 and 2, that closely mirrors that of our community. Does this mean I think everyone in the MLG community are dumb trolls who complain that new games are played instead of old? No, it means that you have trolls/ill-informed people just like every other internet community in existence.

So please hold your judgement.
I have read this forum since 2004, I'm not making a rash judgment. We tend to pay attention to our investments. I have also managed the MLG forums since their creation, I understand how forums work. All that being said, I am still surprised by the animosity being directed AT MLG.

Prawn

Smash Master
I have read this forum since 2004, I'm not making a rash judgment. We tend to pay attention to our investments. I have also managed the MLG forums since their creation, I understand how forums work. All that being said, I am still surprised by the animosity being directed AT MLG.
A game was passed over for another game, the supporters of said passed over game are upset. Is it kind of ridiculous that they would be angry? Sort of, but is it unwarranted? Not at all.

Keep in mind I'm incredibly excited for Brawl to be on MLG, but just as the Gears Of War fans are doing this year, the melee fans just feel a little bit upset.

The reason being because their game puts up the same attendance numbers(at least in isolated incidents) that Brawl does.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Yeah and I love Halo 1. However, CRTs are being phased out of major retailers, Xboxes have been pulled off of shelves, and original controllers are extinct. There comes a time to move on and we have made a decision to pick up Brawl. I'm very sorry that people are not happy with that decision, but there is NOTHING stopping the Melee fans from continuing to play their favorite game. MLG is not stopping people from continuing to attend Melee events. The hatred is a tad misplaced.
This and this.

Prawn

Smash Master
To be honest it just all stems from jealousy,

and the fact that being an ******* on the internet is a lot easier than IRL.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
A game was passed over for another game, the supporters of said passed over game are upset. Is it kind of ridiculous that they would be angry? Sort of, but is it unwarranted? Not at all.

Keep in mind I'm incredibly excited for Brawl to be on MLG, but just as the Gears Of War fans are doing this year, the melee fans just feel a little bit upset.

The reason being because their game puts up the same attendance numbers(at least in isolated incidents) that Brawl does.
Not the case at all. Melee was dropped in 2007. The game is antiquated in many regards (all listed in my post above), and as I just said, it has not been on the circuit in 3 years. Furthermore, you cannot say they draw the same because Melee had a lot more invested in it from a community standpoint (see our involvement) where Brawl and its 10 million copies sold audience have had nothing on a national scale done for it.

We're giving Brawl a chance.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
In any case, I only wanted to post in this thread to clear up any confusion around our date selection. I hope this event does great. Please do not think anything else. Major factors such as sponsors, national holidays, calendar cadence in relation to our macro schedule, school terms, etc drive our event planning, NOT other events..ever.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yeah and I love Halo 1. However, CRTs are being phased out of major retailers, Xboxes have been pulled off of shelves, and original controllers are extinct. There comes a time to move on and we have made a decision to pick up Brawl. I'm very sorry that people are not happy with that decision, but there is NOTHING stopping the Melee fans from continuing to play their favorite game. MLG is not stopping people from continuing to attend Melee events. The hatred is a tad misplaced.
Don't worry, people are happy with the decision by all means. It just so happens that there are some pretty outspoken diehard Melee players here in the community unfortunately, that feel hurt whenever Brawl takes some of the spotlight. The Brawl community is still growing to this day and is doing amazing. The numbers for Brawl tournaments are nothing short of impressive, and everyone is very excited about the great news. I know I am!

Now Melee community, there is no need to complain about the decision. Melee was once in MLG, be proud of what was accomplished then. The Melee community is still strong, and I would like to see GAMME do well with Melee now since it has a lot of potential still for this game. Perhaps since we're seeing this event be ran by Plank with Melee players going absolutely nuts over it, perhaps it is better than this becomes a bit more Melee centric.

But what it ultimately comes down to this: Both communities need to cut the ****, especially the Melee community. I'm not singling you guys out by all means, but as a member of both communities and keeping tabs over many areas of this site, the Melee community tends to take things a bit more personally and be a lot more outspoken about it. This is all Smash, we should all be happy for MLG's inclusion of anything Smash and support both communities. I don't care if you don't find Brawl entertaining, it's all an opinion, because lets face it, there are plenty of people out there that do enjoy it. And from a business standpoint just as Clap was explaining, it makes sense to go with the newer game. Access to newer equipment is easier, it's easier to attract new players to the newer games, sponsors want to see this generation's games, not games from the last one. Look at how GAMME even has the Brawl sponsor bonus doubled that of Melee despite the Smash event being ran by a Melee centric TO, it should be a bit of a hint.

So let's all chill out, support both events, and continue to grow the community. I advise all of you to stop any Melee vs Brawl discussion as from here on out it will be dealt with accordingly.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Yeah and I love Halo 1. However, CRTs are being phased out of major retailers, Xboxes have been pulled off of shelves, and original controllers are extinct. There comes a time to move on.
you sound like a tool. as someone who apparently has been reading and lurking etc for 2004 you sure as hell dun give us any credit whatsoever in comprehension.

I'd respect it more if you and whoever made the decision just said what was on your minds. Its stuff like that that makes some of us disrespect MLG the way we do.

its not rocket science:

Brawl is new, has more guaranteed life since its new and has a young/growing community(which I commend cuz i called its downfall 1.5yrs ago and Im actaully considering getting into it) and is more of a commercial success. Your investment is(or at least seems to be) more safe and more likely to yield a greater profit and commercial success with brawl than it is with melee. Just say something along the lines of that and I'll shut up. That cliche' bull**** statement quoted is kinda a smack in the face. some of us up here are smart enough to understand corporate/executive decisions, but it doesn't mean we'll shutup about it. You could always ban all the melee ppl or something if you dun like it. Being surprised by a backlash from a community that started with melee only shows your lack of knowledge about our community. No things aren't gonna change if we cry melee until the end of time, but we move on to get smarter sponsors etc and you guys will still do ur thing.

Prawn

Smash Master
you sound like a tool. as someone who apparently has been reading and lurking etc for 2004 you sure as hell dun give us any credit whatsoever in comprehension.

I'd respect it more if you and whoever made the decision just said what was on your minds. Its stuff like that that makes some of us disrespect MLG the way we do.

its not rocket science:

Brawl is new, has more guaranteed life since its new and has a young/growing community(which I commend cuz i called its downfall 1.5yrs ago and Im actaully considering getting into it) and is more of a commercial success. Your investment is(or at least seems to be) more safe and more likely to yield a greater profit and commercial success with brawl than it is with melee. Just say something along the lines of that and I'll shut up. That cliche' bull**** statement quoted is kinda a smack in the face. some of us up here are smart enough to understand corporate/executive decisions, but it doesn't mean we'll shutup about it. You could always ban all the melee ppl or something if you dun like it. Being surprised by a backlash from a community that started with melee only shows your lack of knowledge about our community. No things aren't gonna change if we cry melee until the end of time, but we move on to get smarter sponsors etc and you guys still do ur thing.

And I present to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

the jealous douche-baggery mentioned above in the natural habitat of the internet.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP

Brawl is new, has more guaranteed life since its new and has a young/growing community(which I commend cuz i called its downfall 1.5yrs ago and Im actaully considering getting into it) and is more of a commercial success. Your investment is(or at least seems to be) more safe and more likely to yield a greater profit and commercial success with brawl than it is with melee. Just say something along the lines of that and I'll shut up.
That cliche' bull**** statement quoted is kinda a smack in the face. some of us up here are smart enough to understand corporate/executive decisions, but it doesn't mean we'll shutup about it. You could always ban all the melee ppl or something if you dun like it. Being surprised by a backlash from a community that started with melee only shows your lack of knowledge about its our community. No things aren't gonna change if we cry melee until the end of time, but we move on to get smarter sponsors etc and you guys still do ur thing.

brawl ppl acting annoyed when they see melee(this isnt towards all brawlers):

Melee was here first you are basically visiting. Its you guys who came and crashed servers and **** the month of the release how about you new comers NOT act like you run boards.

yeah a bit of a hate rant at the end but it was on my mind
Quoted before an edit.

Cliche? What is cliche about stating FACTS? CRTs, Gamecubes, SSBM are extinct in major retailers. How do you expect NEW audience to pick up your game? Scour ebay for equipment?

This is my final post on this board as I've already spent more time than I can spare posting.

I recommend banning this guy for any moderators. Pretty audacious that it has degraded to this point.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
rofl swift got banned

also i'll probably be at this barring some kind of family vacation or financial disaster

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Who is this guy that speaks for MLG sounds like a douche, also am I allowed to say that ChiboSempai is a judgemental prick?? Or are we not allowed to express our feelings about people??

Plank just like at pound I don't think anyone really cared about brawl, I feel the same way about this, MELEE shall triumph! Don't let this phase you!!

Vyke

Smash Champion
Melee VS Brawl is an unavoidable subject, regardless of where you turn. Learning to deal with it in an appropriate manner other than responding to any sort of flame, demeaning comment, or even snide quip is the real challenge.

Rather than trying to halt an Unstoppable Force, re-direct it somewhere else.

SleepyK

Time for ban #2

wow, i was joking.

are we really handing out immediate bans for this?
Please tell me which rules are being violated that result in an instant ban.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
time to hop on the "banned"wagon

its easier to make things in broad ignorant statements so:

*** brawl. *** mlg. *** captalists.

pickin up a game that was developed so everyone can win
gaming communities full of scrubs who dont realize theyre scrubs
that extends to all mlg game communities

shoutouts to swiftbass. set the trend. the revolution will be televised.

SleepyK

trademark bensor cypassed a few times so it makes sense, but instant ban? someone please tell me which rules they are violating.

i know swiftbass had points from elsewhere also so please don't use "you don't understand the full situation" because i'd honestly like to know.

also, is there a need for assistance with tvs, livestreaming, and powerstrips? i can provide help for all three.
i'd like to know beforehand if i have to lug my stupid tv here.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
MLG ftw, they are one of the best! =D

Melee is old. U guys should understand their problem when it comes to this.

Will there be SFIV in future MLG events? =D

So Fatal

Smash Master
time to hop on the "banned"wagon

its easier to make things in broad ignorant statements so:

that extends to all mlg game communities

shoutouts to swiftbass. set the trend. the revolution will be televised.
lmao. after he says all this, hes a Diddy Main. LOL:laugh:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I don't get how having a Diddy head is funny. =[

I am finding this mass suicide hilarious though lol.

Not sure what prompted the whole issue here though.

Was it that Melee - the clearly more popular event at Pound4 and probably overall- got the shaft for the cash bonus for this tournament?

I guess that's an understandable complaint. Although it doesn't matter where you put the money for either game, the same 5 or 6 people always end up taking it anyways.

Oh wait, I see the complaint is about Brawl being picked up by MLG. I would have to disagree that Brawl was never given a national-level chance, there were plenty early on. Brawl is just the newer game, and MLG picks it up. Melee has gotten along just fine without MLG, don't see why its absolutely necessary to have them again.

And if Brawl crashes and burns then maybe Melee gets another shot. LOL
-DD

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
If the money got moved to melee, that would be awesome. It'd be real interesting to compare the Melee turn-out for this to the Brawl turn-out for MLG.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
*trying too hard*
how fatal was she!?
anywho

the behavior and attitude/condescension of some moderators and mlg representatives in this thread has caused me to break my brawl disc in half. i'm really done with this game if the smaller brawl community straightout buys dominion over the melee community. i could care less about brawl's success, i enjoy playing it with the scene here especially since the melee scene is virtually non-existant, but banning melee players for not supporting a decision that they don't understand baffles and upsets me. even if melee weren't seemingly more popular right now, the concentration of *brawl* mods as it were disgustingly shutting down any intelligent questioning or opposition is straight out of 1984, these sentiments would go unnoticed and unnaddressed in tons of other threads (and considering this isn't even a thread made BY an mlg rep i don't get why it's cracked down here) someone alert me when swf has logic again, i'd love to see these boards without caste again sometime soon.
i won't be surprised if it get banned for criticising only semi-aggressively...gamefaqs revolution?

on a side note, i kind of want to take a trip to make this tournament. plank's always running good tournies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
someone please tell me which rules they are violating.
If I had the ability to check:
"Disrespected and explicitly went against the request of people who own the site"

Then I would. But unfortunately no option exists, so I just clicked 3-day temp ban.

There is a difference between "not supporting a decision" and flat out being disrespectful children who whine when they don't get their way. MLG has repeatedly said they will not pick up Melee and for all intents and purposes it is a dead issue, yet anytime anything happens for Brawl that is a positive you can always count on 50 Melee-only players coming in and bashing things. That behavior is no longer being tolerated.

intelligent questioning
Oh, so this is intelligent?

trademark said:

SleepyK

clearly melee isn't growing at all. the past 6 years are a clear indication :laugh:

what about disrespect to forum leaders? 3 points is plenty warning for the initial post-swift ballistics post.
if not, i guess an amendment to the rules is necessary.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
There is a difference between "not supporting a decision" and flat out being disrespectful children who whine when they don't get their way. MLG has repeatedly said they will not pick up Melee and for all intents and purposes it is a dead issue, yet anytime anything happens for Brawl that is a positive you can always count on 50 Melee-only players coming in and bashing things. That behavior is no longer being tolerated.
i disagree, but oh well. i know mlg owns this site so it's completely childish for melee players not to respect their decisions and then try and act like their announcement of it belongs somewhere other than the boards, but i'm sure the players don't feel respected back for how some of the mods and mlg reps are addressing their questions and comments, some of which i found actually constructive, albiet actively aggressive. i'd just be more likely to return respect to an organization that can at least attempt to answer an angry question instead of say "omgwtf ban this guy, mods."
*shrug* immaturity all around, probably on my part too.

edit: thanks for not quoting swift. would that have been too hard for you to actually address? i also guess trade's satire went over your head. remind me next time i'm arguing about politics to quote the other person as sarah palin, and next time i'm arguing about football to quote the other person as john madden. i rescind my above remarks and aim them at a mod who has his head on straight at the moment, no offense.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Gotta agree. It came across as the rep from MLG's saying "I recommend banning" actually being, "Mods, we own this site. Ban him now or face punishment."

I'm not saying I'm not seeing petulance overall, but still, were bans really necessary?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What Fatal said.

edit: thanks for not quoting swift.
Swift was largely banned cause of posting a video promoting Melee after being explicitly told not to. This occurred in a different thread then this one so you probably didn't even see his post. He even knew he would receive a warning for it and yet he did it anyways. He also got a warning from Chibo not sure what that was for. So swift had 2 warnings (aka separate offenses).

Thanatos*~

Smash Apprentice
Swift was largely banned cause of posting a video promoting Melee after being explicitly told not to. This occurred in a different thread then this one so you probably didn't even see his post. He even knew he would receive a warning for it and yet he did it anyways. He also got a warning from Chibo not sure what that was for. So swift had 2 warnings (aka separate offenses).
what do you mean by largely? swift told me he got 3 point infractioned twice today(6 points equals a ban so like that seems like even distribution right?) just curious as to what you mean when you say largely. He said the one you gave him was legit and that he deserved it fully. He kinda was bummed about the other one cuz he was tryin to make a point but he said that he understands how it could be seen the way it was.(cuz yeah it was kinda mean) Overall he wasn't too hostile about the decision to be banned. I guess he just wanted to speak his mind.

oh and I guess being a tool and sounding like one are the same so I guess he messed up there.

Эикельманн [РУС]

I wish we could all just get along. This has been going on for 2 years straight now, and it's getting kind of old.

Thank you, moderators, for attempting to make things civil here.

Can we try and get back on topic, at least? This tourney is going to be amazing! Orlando is a beautiful city, and has many other things to do in it. If you have any interest at all in this event, I advise you follow your instinct and come! :laugh:

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Why did every one get banned? and why couldn't this MLG guy, who is a paid by MLG / should exemplify what MLG stands for and represent them, say something like 'Guys, melee is a great game and i'm sorry but brawl is newer, more accessible to new gamers, and more popular so we're going with it'. I'm sure I'll get some generic and expected answer from mods but whatever.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why did every one get banned? and why couldn't this MLG guy, who is a paid by MLG / should exemplify what MLG stands for and represent them, say something like 'Guys, melee is a great game and i'm sorry but brawl is newer, more accessible to new gamers, and more popular so we're going with it'. I'm sure I'll get some generic and expected answer from mods but whatever.
That is exactly what has been said...many many times. Check the announcement thread and the thread in the brawl gen discussion. This stuff isn't secluded to this thread. Or just search the posts made by clap, who is the highest ranking person from MLG posting on this website.

And the reason this is happening is sorta because of this:
I wish we could all just get along. This has been going on for 2 years straight now, and it's getting kind of old.
Its been going on for 2 years. We have tolerated the bashing/the senseless Melee/Brawl debate far longer then we should have. MLG picking up Brawl essentially made many Melee players pick up their pitchforks, Clap has drawn a line in the sand and I intend to enforce it when I see people crossing that line. I was very tolerant of all of this junk but now no more. Some people decided one day it was "cool" to bash Brawl. Well, fine, but you may get banned for being cool now I guess.

*That was a general paragraph not directed at anyone. There were also other reasons people were banned like disrespecting a high level person in the very company that owns this website.

EDIT: regarding swift and my use of the word "largely". I said he was largely banned cause I gave him a 3 point infraction (50% needed to be banned). I can't comment on an infraction another moderator gave out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom