• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It can but, why bother? Diddy can camp with bananas but they are much more effective offensively.

I just rush forward, upsmash ad if I hit, tech chase and combo/kill you.
If i miss, you cant puish me because of DACUS.

sonic frame data.

Dsmash:
Lasts 57 frames
hits on frame 17- 38?

I was unsure on when the hitbox disappeared because timing the last hit is difficult.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
No, because no matter what the theory-fighters say, you're not going to be guaranteed a follow-up after a techchase unless you have absolutely brilliant reflexes. Good reflexes and good guessing will get you a follow-up most of the time, yes, but it's not guranteed. Punishment is, combos are, but techchasing isn't.

You're prematurely ending a guaranteed combo that could rack up more damage for a potential chance to start a new combo. I would personally take the guarantee, since I'm not much of a chance person, but hey. Whatever floats your boat.

Hit down on the control stick and you accomplish exactly what a side B cancel does in much less time. Anyone can already cancel their dash with a crouch and then use any move out of that faster than you can even drop your shield, let alone throw out SideB, cancel with a shield, drop your shield, then do your action.

Any use spinshotting could have is done better by just running and jumping. You've still got a second jump left afterwards, it's faster, you get more distance, and better control. Could obviously still be used as a recovery mix up though.

The only thing not made useless for bait and punish is the invincibility frames, which many OoS UpBs already give with more damage and knockback. Like MK and Marth's.

ALL your side B mindgames are inferior to physics changes applied across the board. Except SideB to shield or grab as a very situational mindgame.

Bait and punish is not going to work as a strategy to build a character around, in my opinion. It worked to some extent in vBrawl and Sonic was actually better at it than others.
Now other characters can bait and punish in Brawl+ just as well, if not better than Sonic. Difference being that they have options to fall back on if baiting and punishing isn't working.

I think tech chasing should be Sonic's fall back option (OPINION FLAG).
Probably should be implemented differently than the usmash spike, as that wasn't too well received, obviously.

On the other end of the argument, we could just buff his BnP game to fix the flaws I mentioned and give him no style changes or backup options.
I feel this makes him far too predictable, makes him easy to counter, would encourage the Sonic player to stall while waiting for or trying to bait an opening, and in my opinion be very boring at higher levels.
Others don't. So that's on the table as well.

Feedback plz?

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
I for one agree with you Tats. I've been maining sonic since the game came out and playing B+ since October. Although I'm not pro good based on the matches I've played, it is apparent sonic will need something to fall back on if not a techchase game. Sure it is not built into his character, but what other play styles of him are there that can be built on?

Umby

Smash Master
You should all just make his SDR cancelable and call it a day. All this theorizing about how Sonic should be played in this game is kinda ********, since such theory should be saved until after the game is overall changed in the interest of balance.

What I'm saying is, when regular Brawl came out, it took us months to find out how Sonic should generally be played. Well, when everyone finishes "balancing" Brawl+ (I personally think that's impossible), I believe that's when people should make decisions on a character's most effective playstyle. I mean here's what happens until then:

Non-Sonic main: Sonic should have tech chase options because he didn't have shit until then.

Sonic main: No he shouldn't because then we'd be changing the overall playstyle that we've currently developed for him!

Some other guy: Guys, why are you arguing about this still? Just decide how you want Sonic to be changed already!

The most idealistic post within the last 5 pages: You should all just make his SDR cancelable and call it a day.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
how is the character different?
Sonic is STILL a BnP type of character.
he does not zone like Marth or DK.
He cannot rush like Diddy.
He cannot camp like Olimar and force the opponent close.
He has momentum to combo and approach, his OOS options are more limited, his offstage game got a huge boost, he has a better approach and setup with DC Dtilt, he has an advantage over other similar characters in the cast in that hes not a fast faller and more setups for kills now even. He has potential to excel with these strengths.

He can't do that because no one wants to accept any changes to him that gives him more options. To me, BnP is not a particular strength, it is just a playstyle that people formed with Sonic's options that aren't really needed by anyone else and is one of the few things Sonic is apparently allowed to be proficient in. Pretty much what Tatsuman said, not a very reliable thing to build his character with in this new game.

I agree mostly with Umby that the character should just be left alone with minimal changes until the game has had more of a chance to develop, like I had been saying before.

My problem with "letting the game develop" is that we fall into the PC gaming school of balancing. Players begin to stop trying to beat something and whining for a patch. Think how Melee's metagame would have developed if we just patched the hell out of Sheik because she was top tier in the beginning. Or buffed Jigglypuff before players really figured her out.

After Brawl+ goes gold, we should have 1 patch a year at most. Changing broken things, not giving major buffs, or changes in style. We need to determine Sonic's falback option or lack thereof BEFORE Gold 1. Any changes after that should be made to balance him under his "new" playstyle, and should be given very sparingly.

I'm curious about how a SDR cancel would help him though. Sure, more options, and those are always great. Still, Sonic would still keep more options open by just running. Fully charged SpinCharge roll doesn't go much faster than Sonic's straight dash anymore thanks to the universal dash speed increase.

And if canceled in the same manner as his other cancels (with a shield), it would again take longer to do that than to simply run and dash cancel. Canceling into his standing animation however could definitely help his BnP game, if we decide to go that route.

Which were you meaning?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
My problem with "letting the game develop" is that we fall into the PC gaming school of balancing. Players begin to stop trying to beat something and whining for a patch. Think how Melee's metagame would have developed if we just patched the hell out of Sheik because she was top tier in the beginning. Or buffed Jigglypuff before players really figured her out.
Really by "letting the game develop" I meant let people figure the game out and leave it alone for a while.

I guess if Sonic could cancel his SDR with shield he would at least be able to short hop out of it and instantly jump into another spindash faster.

Really by "letting the game develop" I meant let people figure the game out and leave it alone for a while.

I guess if Sonic could cancel his SDR with shield he would at least be able to short hop out of it and instantly jump into another spindash faster.
Ah. I misunderstood. My bad.

Point made, I suppose. Definitely would help if we go with BnP as his strength.

shanus

Smash Hero
i think the ideal solution is removing sonic from the roster. Thoughts?

shanus

Smash Hero
I just want to say one more opinion on the sonic upsmash spike for all those people who keep saying that tech chasing wasn't a good option in vBrawl. Tech chasing in vBrawl wasn't good for any character. I guess with that precedent I should remove Falcon's dair too then? Seriously, you have the fastest land based character in the game who just begs for the ability to tech chase and you spit in its face, I just don't get it.

Also, if you didn't like the former settings, they can be tweaked. Maybe sonic had too little end lag making it reactionary techchasing or something like that, it might have needed polish.

shanus

Smash Hero
Very doable. I suggest people try out something like this:

Preserve the tested BKB and KBG as this was fine tuned for tumble properties.
Adjust the launch angle, frame speed (start up, hitbox durations, and end lag) to taste!

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Yeah, seriously, the only argument against it I've seen are

It no longer sets up for uair and juggles

It's a usmash that sends down, thats stupid.

GOing by the second reason, GW's dsmash shouldn't kill straight up, should it?

Seriously, though, Shanus has a point. Any fast moving character can have a good techchasing game, so long as they have an attack that forces someone to the ground. Fox has shine, Falcon has dair, and Sonic can have usmash. Why is it so bad that Sonic be given the ability to techchase?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I'm really just curious as to how many of you sonic mains like the new nair change, and prefer it to the usmash change.

@shadowlink: I didn't forget about replying to you, nor am I intentionally avoiding doing so. I had a large post written up when there was a power failure and I lost it, and I don't care enough to write it all up again.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
I freaking love the Nair change, it has a lot of combo potential on landing.

But its no where near a reliable kill move.

Nair is a good offstage juggler. And edgeguarder as well. Love it.

I prefer the spikesmash, but I see no reason to remove the nair buff if we re-add it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
+1 vote for tweaked upsmash spike. Sonic is AMAZING at actually chasing techs, the only problem is forcing the opponent to tech in the first place. I don't see what's so unreasonable about wanting to expand in THIS area of gameplay a little, especially when using a previously subpar move as the expansion point. Thus not FORCING it into his gameplay per say, since you can just continue playing normally and chose not to use this aspect. We're giving him other buffs too remember?

Just saying, it would kinda be nice if he had enough options to support different playstyles and still be effective. BnP is cool and all, but why exactly can't I have BnP AND tech chasing AND comboing? I mean there are plenty of other balanced characters who have all those traits (some of which even required buffs to get it, like Falcon and Ivysuar getting lower ALRs). Ivysuar's playstyle saw a complete overhaul, but Sonic can't have one bad move changed? It's still an anti air move, just now it would lead to a situational punishment. We can work out the frame data for it next time (instead of just saying "try half lag"), but I think a tweaked version of it would fit Sonic just fine and be a nice buff at the same time (because it would allow him to take advantage of his actually good tech chasing game much more often by allowing him to force techs)

So anyway, what would be a good breakpoint for the ending lag? I think he should be able to at least get a d-tilt on standing techs (which is only 1 frame faster than grab lol). Trying to get it to do a jab reset on a missed tech was way too low of a threshold and really just made it spammable. It could've had even an extra 4 frames of lag and have been fine.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
If we add Bair buff +3 frames then I'll be good.

I really don't care about the Usmash spike anymore, but I would like to vary the angle of the Tech Chase Usmash. (Which I call it :U now.) But I can't play with the code until I figure out how to...

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, everyone that keeps saying that Sonic mains want Sonic to suck needs to stop. Its bull**** and you know it.

Also, I may take back what I said about Wario Ware, it is a good stage against certain characters.

bubblan

Smash Rookie
Tried brawl+ a bit yesterday and I didn't notice anything different about neutral B (I only used it twice). Has any changes been made to that move or is it still bad? It would be awesome if it would have fast startup so it could be used as a combo finisher or as a risky, long range attack.

Revven

FrankerZ
bubblan, Homing Attack can't be fixed in any way. The game seems to treat it as a projectile of sorts which we cannot edit at all (except damage I believe).

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Sonic is near perfect, the rest depends on the player. Setting up for kills will always be a problem, but thats what balances him out.Plus, his nair is better than before, It makes a great combo finisher.

bubblan

Smash Rookie
Falco400 that's too bad. I guess it gets a little more useful as a combo move with the added hitstun in general though.

Yingyay Sonic was always perfect=)

Is it just me or is his green coler greener now?

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Bair -2 frames on start up, shanus let me play with it and I'm quite impressed how much of a difference it makes.

I'm fine with the Usmash spike, but I still think it should be tweaked.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
So if Bair gets sped up does it lose some of its power? If so..........ouch. Kinda buffed and nerfed him at the same time.....kinda *puts up flame sheild full power*

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
*uses bubble shield to bounce on Yingyay's flame shield*

Sonic 3 and Knuckles ftw

Anyway, The power wasn't nerfed at all, I believe.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's a lot better (in my opinion at least). It doesn't seem like it'd be that great, but I find it way easier to hit now.

Top Bottom