• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
I haven't forgotten about you guys! <3

Just been a really busy summer. I've been working on that matchup chart with OBM a little bit and we have some WBR meeting tonight. OBM says he's figured out how to tap into Sonic's potential after playing so many matches against mine and he's gonna show me what's up next time we hang out. Sonic's looking really good in the current build though.

That said, I'd be happy to start a new Sonic thread once I have all the information I need to make a useful OP.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
hmm, if I post a download link for a guide I created with Sonic move follow up possibilities would you guys find it useful do ya think?

EDIT: the purpose for it would be to get ideas a bit more organized so that you guys can think of new things too as the ones you have already thought of or haven't thought of but are known would already be written down :D

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
So I was going to start writing up my matchup descriptions and opinions for Sonic, but I already know before I start that it's going to be very lengthy. So should I just post tremendous walls of text or is there another way you guys want me to do it?

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
Alright well I don't really know of a good way to post any of these so here is a sample of what my matchups look like. The way this will work is I’ll provide a brief list of pros and cons for Sonic going into each match, followed by an elaboration for those that want to read further into the matchup, and then finally a numeric score since most people really like to know their matchups by the numbers. Keep in mind that these opinions are just mine after playing several matches and having discussions with OBM about every match. I have tried to include insight into each match that doesn’t use my aggressive play style to consider every option Sonic has but again these are my opinions based on my experiences. Take them with a grain of salt and I am open to any and all comments.

Snake

Pros:
+Speed is a big difference; you can out maneuver him all day.
+Can combo Snake easily due to his weight.
+Plenty of edgeguarding options.

Cons:
-Kill potential.
-Projectiles.

Strategy:
We all know Sonic is fast, but it pays off considerably in this matchup. While Snake is trying to set up all of his traps and projectiles, Sonic can usually rush in and catch him off guard. One thing you have to be weary of is his grenades of course, as they can still prove to be annoying as you’re trying to approach. Just be patient and wait for the opportunity to strike, or even better, bait him into throwing the grenades as you go in and just power shield them and continue your assault.

Sonic can combo Snake all day because of his weight too, so it’s easy to run circles around Snake and continue to pummel him and rack up the damage. The uptilt actually has some decent priority on Sonic, and if you can catch him with it at early percents it’ll pop him up in the air for you to follow up with a combo. Be careful of short hop aerials and Snake’s own tricks like a fast falling bair as Snake really only needs to catch Sonic about 4 or 5 times to kill him. Short hop nairs and dairs can be devastating if you’re tying to run in and get caught by them instead. The trade off is that Snake needs to commit to these attacks, so approach with caution and gauge the situation accordingly on whether or not your combo follow up has a high chance of success or risks being stuffed. If you can combo him into the upsmash is can potentially kill Snake faster than he expects to die, or at a lower percent could be the only way to kill him with the upair, but more on that later. A potentially better follow up is the bair.

As far as edgeguarding goes there really isn’t much Snake can do to keep Sonic from coming back as long as you are once again careful of his aerials which are fairly telegraphed in this situation. On the flip side, depending on how close to the stage he is, while Snake is attempting to recover, he’ll either have to cancel out early and grab the ledge, or he’s just asking for a nair/bair to the stomach. I would avoid attacking a recovering Snake with an upair or fair just because he can Snake armor his way clean through them.

The upair is of particular note because this also makes it tricky to kill Snake with it period, because as long as he is able to pull out his up-b before you can hit him, he’s going to be safe. This somewhat negates some of the usual tricks, but there are still situations where the up air will work, and is still a good tool for the early combo game. An excellent kill setup against Snake is to go in for the dash attack but instead use a down-tilt, this pops him up in the air and easily sets up for a bair. You can also time a nair/bair out of the down or side b. For the final blow you’ll likely be relying on nairs, bairs, and fsmashes in this match.

Final Score:
Advantage Sonic
60/40

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Random note of matter: Spin tricks, spin tricks, spin tricks. They may not be always useful but they are good to know and with how easy they are to pull off you can find a situation to use them. Here are a few for anyone that may not know.

Spin Shot: Fully charge side b and then down air on cstick to launch yourself using up your second jump.

Spin Charge cancel: Before fully charged you can cancel out sending your straight into the air such as a uair or fair.

Shield Cancel: Spins in the air can be canceled with the shield on landing this also applies for spin charge on the ground as well.

Spin Cancel by Air move: Can dair while rolling to stop short. Also can do other air moves.

And just because I like it so much, short hop nair chains. Sonic is fast enough now to almost carry an opponent across the stage using continues nairs.

-------------

For snake. Its really vital to learn to catch nades and shield toss. By negating this you force snake to his C4 as spring can blow up his proximity mines and sonic is good at punishing his lag.

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
Yeah those are all good points Cobalt. I was going to add a sort of "general tips" section at the top when I was done with everything. Don't feel like you're stepping on my toes by contributing information, we can all add to it. =)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
You guys are awesome, I could share some experience too, just that the tourney scene here doesn't exist (Philippines right now)
I'll help with the layout if you want

Sonic Team ftw :D
yami_sora, cobaltblue, DarkSonic, Jingzero7

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
Hey everybody, in light of the fact that we're going to be discussing character changes for the next build soon, I decided to wait on posting the rest of my matchup discussions in case things change. I do have a tentative matchup chart that I made for you guys though. Take it with a grain of salt and feel free to ask why I gave out the scores that I did. I even made a cool little picture for it so you'll have to download it here. :3

http://www.mediafire.com/?46089f621sc06r9

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
That chart looks about right. Although I think you're being too genours to sonic on ganon. Sonic can run circles around him and punish well, however it just takes one mistake and ganon can kill sonic in five moves.
Still sonic's favor but more 55 imo.

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
The reason why I scored it so high is because not only is he easy to out maneuver and punish but Ganon is also laughably easy to gimp. If you can get him off the stage around 100% you shouldn't have much difficulty killing him out there. Spring gimps can be especially effective. Ganon is also more susceptible than most other characters to Sonic's upsmash, and that's another huge advantage.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
If I recall correctly his up b will go straight through the spring. Still good for forcing the opponent to start recovering high though.

I'm not following you on the fsmash part though. If I recall correctly fair, dair, and down b all cut right through sonic's upsmash. Not that dair and down b are a major threat anyways.

Top Bottom