• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic+ ~UPDATED OP 11/15/09~

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
:sonic:+

We the Brawl+ Sonic Boards think :093: is dumb so ^^ is our mascot

OK! I quit Brawl+ for awhile, this original thread was outdated to the beginning of Sonic journey in the first 3 verison of the Plussery. But I am re-doing the OP and trying to get the groove of the fastest thing alive back!

We must discuss the positive and negatives to overall help Sonic become a better character, whether it be from his awful killing abilities,to how good of a tech chaser he is, to how the lack of combos takes place in how he isn't a great character. Sonic needs people to suggest and build him up so ALL OF US, Sonic players, can enjoy him even more!

PROS:

• [*]Campy
    [*]Good at Tech chasing
    [*]Extreme Speed
    [*]Mindgames
    [*]Good Recovery
    [*]Small CG on a decent amount of the cast​

CONS:
  • Horrible at Killing
  • Not many combos
  • Bad Match-Ups
  • Lacks Priority

-What Sonic Needs-
We will discuss the needs and buffs Sonic needs to make him an overall better character. What do you think he needs? What are things you think Sonic has to have to become better. Post it and we will discuss and come up with a list!

Videos:
Post your videos here and lets see how the blue bullet does his thanggggggg.

Xzax:
Vex Kasrani(Marth) vs Xzax(Sonic) 5.0 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ww2gTfCUQ

Lets get the show on the road boys!

Yingyay

Smash Ace
So sonic gets upgraded and no one wants to talk about it lol

From my experience with him in B+, since he's able to combo now, and undecaying smash attacks are now provided. He's actually a good solid character, even tho his priority is still the same (low) his speed, lack of tripping and dash dancing/crouch canceling help him out even more. His uair combos into bair for a good and simple KO combo

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I can't add anything from a player standpoint but from my experience on playing against him sonic has a great techchase game. With the momentum code he can practically chase you anywhere with fair. He does alot better on stages with platforms. He still has ko problems

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm waiting until the give him the special treatment. I've seen glimpses of things they're working on in various combo vids, and it looks like he's about to get crazy good, imo.

The Cape

Smash Master
This is some of the ideas we rolled through that should be in the next beta:

Slightly buffed F smash KB
D smash comes out faster (frame 8 instead of 16)
U smash always spikes and coolsdown faster
U tilt coolsdown faster

Blue Flash

Smash Apprentice
I have a Sonic idea for Brawl+...

First off, is it possible to edit voices? A friend and I were talking about Sonic in school today(which is pretty weird for me, since I havent been into Sonic for a long time). If so, maybe the people who make B+ could replace Jason's voice clips with the previous actor's Voice. I haven't heard his voice before, and I only heard Jason's in Brawl, but it seems like more people like the previous VA than Jason. Maybe more people will play as Sonic if they hear a voice they really like.

So what do you think?

Revven

FrankerZ
You can't replace a voice without the voice file being in the game in the first place. The best you could do is replace the ENTIRE English cast VA with Japanese VAs, however, that's only for ISO Hacking AFAIK and you can't replace just one voice.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
My impression of Sonic+

Yes I managed to play Sonic in Brawl+. My god he's a beast!!!! I have no problems killing now and his chases are way more dangerous in Brawl+. He's also still very good at gimping heck it's even easier here. Oh yes, I'm gonna find some beast combo's with him.

Spring doesn't save him from combos anymore ;_; but his new strengths sure do make up for it. Can't wait to play him again :bee:. Man, first time I had so much fun with Brawl, glad I had my first experience with the character that was by my side since japanese release.

Bugged instant usmash and dsmash is **** and all, but the usmash can be teched in place and punished with relative ease. Or am I doing something wrong?

Dsmash though. That's just awesome.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Falco, I actually asked Alopex to add a small bit of startup speedup too. 19 frames for a 9 damage move :(

I was thinking of shaving that down to 14 frames (3 frames faster than f-smash).

Then we're gonna speed up the end lag on Sonic's d-throw and Sonic will be done with buffs and ready to go gold.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Falco, I actually asked Alopex to add a small bit of startup speedup too. 19 frames for a 9 damage move :(

I was thinking of shaving that down to 14 frames (3 frames faster than f-smash).

Then we're gonna speed up the end lag on Sonic's d-throw and Sonic will be done with buffs and ready to go gold.
If you wanna go gold, just use his Final Smash :bee:
[/STUPIDITY]

So Sonic's almost done with tweaks? Awesome :)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Sonic's Dsmash = MK's Old Dsmash with half the KB, and twice as much ending lag.

results? Dthrow > Dash/Tech Chase > Dash Cancel > Dsmash with fairly large range > KO > Proceed to laugh in your opponents face (if online, proceed to LOLOLOLOLOLOL via IM/Chat/PM/IRC/etc)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
And double the startup too bro. It's good now, but far from OP. I like it.

Btw, we'll be making d-throw better for tech chasing too (making the windown a little shorter). And upsmash more combo friendly (to lead into more tech chases). He's gonna be a very "gtf back on the ground" character.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I main Sonic in B+ and I must say, Sonic is now truly dangerous offstage. Because of his running speed and the physics, his SH goes VERY far, and his Fair has knockback like MK's Dair on the last hit.

He feels like a full character now. Can kill, combo, and gimp without feeling overpowered.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Man yall tryin to turn Sonic into a demi god? lol I thought he was fine already?

Revven

FrankerZ
Man yall tryin to turn Sonic into a demi god? lol I thought he was fine already?
He's not. All the Sonic mains (including Malcolm) hate Sonic+ and say he sucks. So we need to buff him even more. Sounds great, huh?

Last offtopic post for me from here on.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
I hate sonic in brawl +. U made a very mindgame-y and complex character into a straight foward easy to learn character. He may shine in the eyes of people who never put any effort in him in regular brawl, but to me hes not even on the character select screen anymore.

With that being said... I do think you made him a much better character tier-placement wise.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
so...old sonic mains hate him because he's not the sonic that they used to play with.
and the newer ones are sayin he's great because he can just fight you straight forward now?

But you know, if you combine the two sides and use them, you'll have a much better character. He can still mindgame opponents, but now he can do that and combo them into space-dust.

But i do see where the former sonic vbrawl mains are coming from. I felt sorta the same when i realized how much sheik changed in vBrawl. But i ggot used to it and started factoring Zelda into my game. I think you guys shouldn't dislike Sonic for receiving a few buffs here and there (as long as they aren't gonna change him completely)

Yingyay

Smash Ace
wow sonic is top 12, hes good, he doesnt suck you guys are rly dumb. the backroom also thinks marth isnt good so lol
lemee see, i was playing friendly matches with my friend who mains marth and i DI'ed the wrong way by accident against his ForwardB and died at 43%. if thats not good then i dont know what is?

shanus

Smash Hero
I hate sonic in brawl +. U made a very mindgame-y and complex character into a straight foward easy to learn character. He may shine in the eyes of people who never put any effort in him in regular brawl, but to me hes not even on the character select screen anymore.

With that being said... I do think you made him a much better character tier-placement wise.
I don't understand that logic though. Although he plays differently and has some guaranteed options, how does that not still require the sonic mindgame-yness? Can you elaborate a bit more?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

Well technically you could still play him as a pure punishment character... Nothing is really stopping you :p

I don't see why how he is straight forward though.
His options are still average, his priority is still bad, and he has exploitable weaknesses that all hamper him.
You are still going to have to exploit the mistakes of your opponent and whatever lag they have on their moves to do anything. Now the difference is the ability to followup.

I guess this is coming from somebody who doesn't see the appeal in a hit and run character... I just like followups...

It is interesting how attached some people get to their main, and specifically the playstyle that they grow used to. There are vBrawl Captain Falcon mains who are against his Brawl+/Melee style for instance :\

Top Bottom