• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sent glick the message. Perhaps I should ask ryko and have malcolm kidnapped and brought here.
We can order pizza. Six cheese for me, from papa johns.
yesssssssssssssssssssssss.

<_<
>_>
<_<
Yeah I didn't get much sleep.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
60-40 sonics advantage.

sonic doesnt get gimped.
sonic kills jiggly much earlier than vice versa.
sonic hyphen smash beat jigglys airials.
sonic spring cna get out of jiggly combos.

jiggly does out range, speed and prioritise sonic in the air, but without a REALLY good kill move, it doesnt win her the match. fair is strong, but its not strong enough to kill sonic low enough to make the match even.
sonic also doesnt have (m)any multihit moves to get DI rested out of

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Sonic won't get rested should be added. Perhaps drill rest though :( I'd say somewhere around 50:50-60:40 Sonic. I really can't find what would give Jigglypuff the upper hand. Pound seems like a nice move in this matchup. It's like Jigglypuff actually has a D-tilt to use against Sonic.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
she doesnt, her down tilt is about as fast as D3s

pound gets punished really hard, but you cant go head to head against it. it beats everything, but its easy to punish

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
This is an disccusion which is really annoying... I'll just post a few words cuz obvously many of you have no idea what you're talking about... i've never lost to a Sonic player... i've played many, but never lost... he's extremely annoying but Jiggly does outprioritise him... I'm to tired to get into a figth with you so i'll just say what i think... 60-40/55:45 in Jiggs Favor...

Tenki

Smash Hero
anyone good who can play Mister E and represent a Sonic main say rai

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I would considering he's European.

But my wiimote has been lost for about a week, so I haven't been able to play on the wii at all because I can't even work the frikkin menu without it.

:<

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Is every Sonic main getting banned? And I'm intentionally not posting my sig here because I don't want another sig violation (nothing bad) for no reason.

Anyway, I heard rest really ***** Sonic if its interruptible from Veril. I heard is kills his approach fairly effectively. But I have no other information on this.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'm guessing by Rest ****** our approach he means an SDR from the other side of the stage.

Which is how all good Sonic's approach, obviously. No need for shield cancelled spindashes and such, is there? :\

I can't see Rest being a problem unless she can do it through our utilt (which most Sonic's very rarely use anyway.) Someone get Veril in here.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Hop into a supersonic Spin Dash. If you charge it up just a bit, your speed will increase.

It’s also possible to rise up while spinning.

Spin Dash, jump. A two-hit **combo**.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quoted from smashbros. Dojo site. http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/sonic.html]

**Silly Sakurai!**
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While sonic is doing homing attack, hold sheild. Just keep holding it.

He is pretty easy to gimp off stage. If he is under the edge of the stage, edge guard. Then quickly do it again. He WILL use homing attack after to try to get up.

If he is out off stage, WoP.

Use throws a lot, and don't smash too much because he will lag chase you. Lag chase and rest him if he does his d-air close to the floor of a stage.

55:45 in Jigglypuff's favor. If not, better, or the other way around. It's not a hard matchup either way.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
I'll play him.

I'll get ***** but I'll still play him.
Yeah i can play you, no problems there... Even though lag may ruin everything... BTW my Jigglypuff isn't that good.. but atlast i get to figth a good Sonic... I really need to see how a "Good" Sonic plays :p Send me a messege when ur ready..

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
While sonic is doing homing attack, hold sheild. Just keep holding it.

He is pretty easy to gimp off stage. If he is under the edge of the stage, edge guard. Then quickly do it again. He WILL use homing attack after to try to get up.
Every Jiggz WILL approach with dair.

See? I can do it too.

I will never, EVER use that piece of **** Homing Attack for recovery, and I'll never be put into a position where I need to, either, because I don't think that's possible.

Don't hold shield to deal with Homing Attack. Powershield it for an easier time punishing the silly sausage for using such a terrible move.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Every Jiggz WILL approach with dair.

See? I can do it too.

I will never, EVER use that piece of **** Homing Attack for recovery, and I'll never be put into a position where I need to, either, because I don't think that's possible.

Don't hold shield to deal with Homing Attack. Powershield it for an easier time punishing the silly sausage for using such a terrible move.
Ok, then what do you use after a Spring recovery when you are out of jumps under the edge? I can assume your next option. It's the only other vertical move sonic has in this case.

And yes, hold sheild. It is still easily punished after that. There is a new sheilding system in brawl you know. Sonic is too fast, unless you can time a sheild like that, then don't hold it. It's a safe option.

And that was not a negitive post btw.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
mister E makes the pika player Mr. E look like a scrub.

and lol @ M wuz...
hes so far behind in the sonic metagame hes using the dojo...
please hold shield against my homing attack, i wont cancel the start up, and it will shield stab you.
sonics only use laggy down airs about 5% of the time. and thats only when we KNOW you either:
1. will get hit by it.
2. cant punish it.

sonic will be grabbing you MUCH more than you throw sonic, and sonic actually has followups to his throws, JP really doesnt have any followups against sonic from any throws.

sonic cant HA after his spring and if you hit him after the spring, he gets his spring back.
so if there is anytime when sonic can HA, he can spring as well

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
Ok, then what do you use after a Spring recovery when you are out of jumps under the edge? I can assume your next option. It's the only other vertical move sonic has in this case.

And yes, hold sheild. It is still easily punished after that. There is a new sheilding system in brawl you know. Sonic is too fast, unless you can time a sheild like that, then don't hold it. It's a safe option.

And that was not a negitive post btw.

As the other one said, you can't use B moves after the spring.
The only time Homing attack could be used as recovery is if you're trapped underneath the stage, and even then you have to be touching the stage at the time when you use it.

Also, the shield decays way too fast to hold it for more than a half a second. And, since the context of your post was on the subject of the Homing Attack, it's not that hard to perfect shield. You know how long it takes to get ready, and how fast it moves. What's the difficulty?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You can't use B moves after a Spring.
This is true.

...Wait... what?

Tell me you aren't confusing us for Link mains... I know it might be confusing seeing as how were all in the same bracket of the tier... but this is Sonic we're talking about here... you know... that Blue Hedgehog that can recovery from any corner of the stage with usually a Spring and a double jump?

C'mon man, it's neutral at worst, but I can't see it being in Jigglypuff's favor... at all... unless you somehow became really convincing.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
If we're assuming that the Sonic's good, which you're meant to in match-up discussions, he should be able to recover from anywhere offstage. Horizontally, we've got spindash => jump -> Spring, or Spinshot => Spring. Both of which will let Sonic recover from offscreen on Final Destination. The point is, unless attacked and hit under the stage, Sonic should never be in that position. If we are attacked, Homing stall on the underside of the stage if we're not near enough to float away from the stage to Spring back up. If we Spring, are hit under the stage, that attack allows us to use B moves again.

Yeah, your way is safe enough, and if it works that's fine. I just play a lot of Sonic's, and at least 90% of the time punish them for using Homing Attack, if grounded doing what I mentioned before. I'm just used to the timing thanks to the repitition, I guess.

Homing Attack has to be a contender for one of the worst moves in Brawl, as it's most definately Sonic's worst.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Jiggs makes my Sonic feel quite vulnerable while recovering.

And our recovery is rather predictable if we lose our midair jump. Without that jump, we can't use side-B or down-B unless they'll reach the stage on their own, or we start really high up.

But yea, we rarely use Homing Attack unless we're willing to face the consequences. Mindgames only :urg: it's rarely necessary, IF we have our midair jump.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154

and lol @ M wuz...
please hold shield against my homing attack, i wont cancel the start up, and it will shield stab you.
sonics only use laggy down airs about 5% of the time. and thats only when we KNOW you either:
1. will get hit by it.
2. cant punish it.

sonic will be grabbing you MUCH more than you throw sonic, and sonic actually has followups to his throws, JP really doesnt have any followups against sonic from any throws.

sonic cant HA after his spring and if you hit him after the spring, he gets his spring back.
Ok here we go... personal attacks... i knew you guys weren't better than the rest... GG guys, i'm out... hope you're proud... as i said i was to tired to Discuss much with you guys soo... yeah...

And anyway... The guy who wanted to brawl me.. i still want to give you a shot... would be fun... but i wont stay here on these boards... so if you want to get to talk to me... send me a private messege...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Don't listen to Kid though... he's like that.

Gah Chis, if he doesn't read this, go tell him that Kid is just an @-hole.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
You can't use B moves after a Spring.
Well then. My point, but I don't use Sonic. Quite frankly I HATE the character sonic. I didn't know this.

and lol @ M wuz...
1. will get hit by it.
2. cant punish it.

The dojo? no, I saw somthing there before and I thought it was funny. Sakurai beleves in combos. I was not using the crappy info there to put together his metagame. I am not an expert at him, but I know most of it.

Second, the down air close to the ground. I have seen it used, not too often, but I have seen it used.
As the other one said, you can't use B moves after the spring.
The only time Homing attack could be used as recovery is if you're trapped underneath the stage, and even then you have to be touching the stage at the time when you use it.

Also, the shield decays way too fast to hold it for more than a half a second. And, since the context of your post was on the subject of the Homing Attack, it's not that hard to perfect shield. You know how long it takes to get ready, and how fast it moves. What's the difficulty?
Lol i really hate homing attack. And

*facepalm* You can't use a special after a spring.

This does not mean I know nothing about Sonic.
This is true.

...Wait... what?

Tell me you aren't confusing us for Link mains... I know it might be confusing seeing as how were all in the same bracket of the tier... but this is Sonic we're talking about here... you know... that Blue Hedgehog that can recovery from any corner of the stage with usually a Spring and a double jump?

C'mon man, it's neutral at worst, but I can't see it being in Jigglypuff's favor... at all... unless you somehow became really convincing.
I am saying that he isn't a hard kill. He has good recovery, but jigglypuff GIMPS recovery. MK, pit, and kirby are prevented from recovering when jiggs is useing WoP to keep them off. This next quote is correct.

Jiggs makes my Sonic feel quite vulnerable while recovering.

And our recovery is rather predictable if we lose our midair jump. Without that jump, we can't use side-B or down-B unless they'll reach the stage on their own, or we start really high up.

But yea, we rarely use Homing Attack unless we're willing to face the consequences. Mindgames only :urg: it's rarely necessary, IF we have our midair jump.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
This is an disccusion which is really annoyingflaming... I'll just post a few words cuz obvously many of you have no idea what you're talking about...flaming i've never lost to a Sonic player... i've played many, but never lost...player skill doesnt factor into matchups... he's extremely annoying but Jiggly does outprioritise him...not completely, upsmash beat airial approaches. so this is misinfo I'm to tired to get into a figth with you so i'll just say what i think...johns for poor behavior 60-40/55:45 in Jiggs Favor...
so this post is flaming, flaming, player skill, misinformation about sonic's LOLpriority, and johns for his poor behavior

and you people expect me not to react...

eff that.

ill give you all the respect in the world, if you act right, but this post deserves the comment it got from me, we dont want people like this inputting in our matchups anyway

Top Bottom