• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thank you ShadowLink. That's a good summary of the matchup from my experience. I haven't played too many Sonics, and I hadn't tested the fsmash spam to see if it really worked.

I thought Atomsk had the best olimar.
And yes, I was joking about the dtilt thing, lol. Sorry if you weren't.
To be frank, although F-smash might give an advantage, it doesn't beat Sonic alone. As SL stated, ASC would beat it. Also, running->shield grab might give us just enough a boost on some pikmen to get in, or powershield and get it. But, that's more situational. Spinshot can get past it easily and land us a b-air, or a b-air grab. Spindash jump will also work, as in, we come in with spinshot, SDJ over the F-smash and do what we can. =/
Atomsk mains DDD and uses Olimar when he feels comfortable using him in a matchup. Blackwaltz, among others, solo mains Olimar. He uses him against Olimar's bad matchups, and thus place worse in tournaments than Atomsk does. (not by a very large margin though)

Atomsk has better placings overall with a DDD/Olimar/Kirby(?) team than Blackwaltz does with only Olimar. Not to say his Olimar isn't good- he's got a great Olimar- but it's not the best.

I'm thinking right now that with fsmash always on the Sonic player's mind, he might get a little bit too predictable throughout the match. I have yet to approach the matchup with this mindset though. I'm merely theory crafting.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it depends on what the sonic is conditioned to look out for, cause in most of my matches i take mental notes on the most dangerous moves, so as to counter them and thus my opponent as often as possible.

thats why I dont roll or spotdodge Marth or snake, because I am conditioned to avoid dancing blades and f-tilts

so if the sonic is conditioned to avoid f-smash he will walk into a lot of grabs but if he is conditioned to avoid grabs, in addititon to beign better off, he will be hit with more smashes and side bs, but seeing as we can shrug those off pretty well, it turns out to be the best option.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The Peaches are discussing Sonic!

Oh joy.

Here's are Weekly Match-Up Discussion and here is our Stage Counterpick thread.

Give us a whole analysis for our matchup discussion, or just pop in the counterpick talk.

Just please, give us something besides Kinzer. :urg: I <3 Kinzer.

Fino

Smash Master
Okay, this is where Fino tries to correct or confirm everything said so far? If you want to dispute something I say, I will gladly play wifi friendlies, so long as you send me a PM with a time that works for both of us. I will say now, both boards are bias, and you are going to get bias from me. Deal with it, I want to play Tenki. Tenki is probably the most reasonable person on swf, and has more respect as a sonic main from me. Tenki, if you read this, we need to have a show down ^^;
*Also note, I will be talking about high level play here. So when I read this "sonic can haz gimp teh lolimarz wiht spring lulzroflcopter" I will ignore it - a good olimar should anticipate things like this, and rarely get caught by them.
So without further ado, I will start with this quote, which will summarize my post (you can stop reading here if you don't want read the rest).
Oh God Sonic and Olimar are not an even matchup.

Prepare to get torched.
:093:
Olimar 50:50... let's see what you sonic mains have to offer (at this point I haven't read any of it, I'm just going as I see them).
Behaviour:
Will not approach because their approaching isn't half as good as their defence. From a distance he will throw Pikmin. However this is no problem, for we can run. Any ballform attack will get pacman off you. Dash attack, N-air, side-B. Blue is usually grab, but sometimes they make you believe that and just smash you. He has incredible range on the air and decent on the ground. Has a meteor smash, but U-air outranges is.
I partially disagree here. It's not that olimar WON'T approach, it's that there's not point to. In this match-up, if olimar goes towards sonic, the sonic can literally run circles around him. I'm not taking about noobish tactics or anything. Look at vids of anther's pikachu, random running around really messes with people. The fact that olimar won't be able to reach sonic is kind of discouraging - and I have yet to see a campy sonic XD. By that I mean a sonic who will sit and wait for you to come and approach him. Also, I dis-credit you for saying pacman instead of pikmin. It offends me >_> lulzy.
Also, da **** are those last two lines about? Olimar's shouldn't think of specific grabs with blues until you're at KO%. Blues are just as good as red and yellows for smashes and aerials when you're racking up damage. I love also how you put incredible range in air, and decent on the ground O_O I'm starting to regret quoting this one, but it was the OP for olimar, so I kinda felt I needed to.
However, I agree. Pikmin toss is nothing in this game, sonic can easily get them off. It's more a matter of, it's another thing for you to deal with. It add pressure, and hey, it's a free few percent (I'm talking maybe 3 if even that lol). The fact is, you will have to attack to get them off (easy for sonic), and anything we can do to make you do something works into our advantage.

Commonly Used Moves:
Pikmin pluck. When Olimar dies he is immedeatly gonna pluck Pikmin. KILL THEM. I noticed a N-airing Olimar is a winning Olimar, it's a great move. Most don't use it enough :p. Probably like Sonics D-tilt. :(. He also uses his F-air and B-air to keep you back. Can spam smashes. Pikmin throw isn't useful in this matchup. U-air when coming from below. IIRC it outprioritizes Sonics D-air. Olimar rarely uses his Tilts. His grabs are godly. Don't shield too much, dodging is better. His grab takes longer than a usual grab. Blue does amazing knockback. White has strong pummels.
Pikmin pluck... O_o? Was that necessary? Like, I understand if you've never played brawl before, that could be useful... but pikmin pluck?!?! Also, olimar can pluck cancel his moves. EVERYONE waits for olimar to pluck his pikmin, but you can cut your pluck animation and go straight to a smash or grab. Try it out, press be and cstick almost at the same time. Waiting right next to olimar results in free damage. Though few take advantage of this, I did say I was talking about high level play ;)
Moving on, interesting input on Nair, I'll have to try it out next time I play sonic. I use it occasionally, but in most situations, other moves work better. I'll give it a shot for you ;)
It's good to note that olimar's fair and bair are marth-like, and they can combo / can be used in the same way marth uses them.
Olimars not only can spam smashes, but they will particularly in this match up. fsmash will ravage most of sonics approaches. Approaching from the air can also be deadly due to the tremendous hit box on usmash.
I've already mentioned pikmin throw... it's still good in this match-up, just not for racking up damage. Also, U-air will out prioritize... EVERYTHING. I haven't seen a move yet that clanks, cancels, out prioritizes, or anything against it. DDD's dair comes close by canceling, though it was at an odd angle.
Also, shielding is a very poor choice- agreed... but spot dodge will do a lot of things for you. Sonic's spot dodge is pretty good IMO, and I believe you can spot dodge and fsmash (or other move of your choice) before olimar has an answer for you.
Also, olimar's tilts are worthless, they're pretty much used solely for mixing things up (or done by accident). Few matches require olimar to use his tilts. Utilt and dtilt are the only one's to worry about, but don't get mad about it. They're still not great, you have bigger things to worry about than his tilts... :D
Lastly, reds and purples have most knock back, blues have best grab knock back. whites are good for latching and pummels.

How to Win:
GIMP. Gimp Olimar. B-air him off stage and drop Springs/edgehog. Good Olimars don't really get gimped, but still try it. Stutterstepped F-smash could be an hero for you. Throws are always good. I heard Olimar has some "forbidden angle" at about 45 degrees, but I am poorly informed about this. By the sounds of 45 degrees, SH F-air would work.
This section made me laugh at first, but it needed to be here (this was the character bias I was talking about earlier XD). I will first give you congratz on saying good olimar's don't get gimped. Few people realize this, trying is still your best option though - you may get lucky ^^;
Throws are good, if you're able to grab olimar ^_^. Olimar's 'forbidden angle' is 45 degrees. It's called that because there's only one move that covers it, and that's pikmin chain (horrible move on ground). Olimar's options are to utilt, or do an aerial to get around this... not so much a big deal though.

Recommended Stages:
RAINBOW CRUISE. Also Brinstar and friends. Frigate Orpheon would work too. Choose stages with as little ledges as possible and lots of jumping.
I will CP rainbow cruise on you, if that says anything. LOL. Just saying, and I'm slowly convincing the olimar community to believe this as well, olimar is great on RC... and from what I know about sonic... he isn't. I could be wrong though, so please correct me :bee:
Brinstar is also a good stage because lava can stop gimping, though... I heard some obscure thing about brinstar being a good stage for sonic, so it's your pick. Frigate is an alright choice though :D Just expect olimar to stay on the left side of the stage the entire match (on the first part)

Matchup Summary:
Olimar is a great character, but I can't see how it is in his favor. Sonic has the spring. The safest and funnest gimper ever. 50:50 or 55:45 Sonic.
-_- first quote in, and I'm already running into this garbage... you just said yourself a good olimar doesn't get gimped that easily. Yes, you can spring the tether, but once the spring hits olimar, the hitbox is gone... olimar can just re-tether (assuming he's holding on to it and waiting to get owned for some weird reason). Also, the fact olimar can fsmash most of sonic's approaches, and grab sonic out of... the majority of his moves would clearly give olimar and advantage. You say 55:45 Sonic, or even 50:50, you jsut have scrub written all over you XD. Sorry, that's kinda mean, but seriously... you gave one thing that you think would make sonic 55:45, and that was the spring gimp, which I said - even before I read this - that it is the dumbest, noobish comment ever to be made.

*sigh - next :D
Hmmm....

-Constantly throwing him off the stage works well
-Dair, Spring ect. quite gimpable
-Whistle gives him super amour, keep that in mind when trying to gimp him
-Keep watch of his Pikmin (purple, red and yellow
-Sonic has no problem if Pikmin attach to him
-I didn't feel that Olimar's height made much of a difference
-Olimar can **** you in the air if you're not carly (Uair, Up B, Bair and Fair)
-This should be played as a bait and punish match
-His smashes have some cool down
-Don't jump into the ****
-Get off a platform ASAP
-Don't spot dodge his grab...

Ban: Battle field?
Counter: Rainbow cruise?

Thoughts?
Constantly throwing off the stage would work well on any character... just keep in mind range and priority when you need to actually grab him.
again with the spring gimp - you lose
Whistle is very good, just... know it's coming and try to mind game the olimar into whistling to early or late.
O_O you're the first person I know to say that - watch the pikmin, it's really what you need to do, though no one heeds my advice when I say that ^^;
Again agreed, sonic can slash pikmin off very easily.
Size matters, but it's not game changing. Being able to hit him can be difficult given his tiny-ness and uber range. I know a few times where side -B SHOULD HAVE hit, but missed because olimar is too small
Up until the end, everything seems good.
Why wouldn't you spot dodge the grab? it's easy to punish, though olimar's grab is quick and has tremendous range... so i dunno.

I still think it's only just in Olimar's favour. 55:45
The only issue is approaching, you need to do a lot of baiting and punishing. Once you're on him and you're pressuring him he's conpletely helpless.
Gimping him isn't as easy as you'd expect.
Pikmin throw is useless here.
X amount of Pikmin on Sonic < Nair.
Yeah, if we're going on the difficulty to approach and stuff, it's 40:60. However, I just can't see how Olimar's going to rack up damage without Pikmin Throw :\
It's definitely in olimar's favor, though I'm not sure how much, whether little or a lot, I need to play a REALLY good sonic to know.
I'm not sure how you would bait and punish olimar, but I trust as a sonic main there are things you guys do. I'll leave it to you on that one ^_^
Gimping knowledge ftw. good point
While sonic is readily able to get pikmin off, they still have potential to do SOME damge, even if not much. It's more the fact that you just ahve THAT much more to deal with. Not completely use-less, but it doesn't quite fulfill that purpose we seek from pikmin toss :D
Also, olimar's got some good grab comobs, and as I've said before, olimar can grab sonic out of most of his moves. I'm not even talking shield grabbing, but just plain and simple grabbing here. Grab combos MAKE olimar - not his pikmin toss, which is more of a gimmick damage racker. I still love it and will do it though ;)
^that's the kinda bais I'm talking about from the sonic boards btw... "olimar can't use one attack, I just can't see how he'll rack up damage :o"
You're right, olimar has just that move ^^; thilly me

so a few weeks ago, I was playing with my friend, and I kept thinking about this one pretty good Olimar I was playing against online, who could follow up grabs pretty well.

I knew my friend didn't really know Olimar too well, but I played to avoid putting myself in a grabbable or up-B'able position.

Then I realized I really didn't know Olimar's lag time, and I started freaking out because I pretty much only landed hits when he used a move (smash, aerial, etc) too many times, or if he dodged.

then I lost.

so yeah. 9__9; it kind of sucks. Olimar can be really evil if your opponent has a read on you.

anyway, some matchup notes:

- Olimar can smash at the same time he pulls a pikmin out. I'm not sure if he can grab too, but he's definitely NOT punishable while he's pulling out pikmin.
- Olimar's grab hugs the floor. (sh moar)
- Olimar's non-pikmin attacks >>>> Sonic's moves (good defense vs Sonic's approaches)
- N-air/B-air/D-air = Single hit Pikmin attacks
- Yellow and purple pikmin tend to outprioritize Sonic's moves.
Tenki - full of win. Nuff said. Reading people has always been a part of smash, so keep that in mind when facing olimar. Notice what he likes to do. Spot dodge to dsmash is EASILY punishable, or double smashing (online), or what he preferably does with grab combos.
*Note, sonic can get out of grab combos quicker when using upB.... but I'm sure you know this already ;)
Also, olimar can be evil in general... XD. I hate playing against him ;-;
-I'm glad you know this... I hope your fellow sonics do now too ^_^
-yesh, olimar cannot grab you from the air
-olimar has uber priority.... ect. it's hard to beat out his moves.... but good thing olimains rarely use olimar XD
-i dunno what you're saying here...
-yellos have the most priority, while purples have ridiculous hit boxes. I'm astonished you figured this out O_O
<3 tenki :D
*sigh, moving on to non-tenki post >_>

It's just a tad shame though, no Sonic in their right mind will use Nair for anything other than pushing you away from us, Fair will trade hits at worst, and Bair is a really disjointed move.
Really though, the more I'm looking at it, the more I see it neutral. Just 'cause we don't have a projectile doesn't mean we have to approach, Olimar doesn't exactly have anything that really classifies as a projectile, since Pikmin have a set path (mini-projectile maybe? I'm just puttingo n an anti-flame shield, don't mind me), and besides that Sonic has some crazy-a** speed to help him avoid getting pinned down by Pikmin assuming Olimar is approaching.
Neutral... joke! and I think I've went through all this stuff before. projectile and approaching... ect
Now when it comes to approaches, ASC works like magic here, just go for Olimar's blindspots, which would be like at a 30 degree angle and a 65 degree angle... just anywhere he can't grab/Up-B/USmash your approaches is a nice place to attack Olimar from.
Ummm.... rofl. olimar can cover all his angles with those moves. your goal is to hit a 45 degree angle, I wouldn't worry about the tether at all unless you become predictable. 30 and 65 would be magic, 30 = fsmash / pivot grab 65 = usmash
Accounting for upB, olimar can cover every angle ;)
Sonic works alright on most stages, and with Olimar has MOAR places to take him than the other way around. DJ was right when he said it can be stage dependent, I think Sonic may even have the advantage of Frigate Orpheon.
Stay unpredictable no doubt, if the Olimar catches on to you, it will just at best set you back to square 1 with more damage.
Space your attacks, use K.O. moves as Olimar is rather light, and gimp if you can.
No comment... seems like good stuff here ^^;

Extremely doubtful since I've met Fsmash spamming Olimars (and they do it intellignetly) but ASC beats it out because of its very, very lovely angle.

It really only works if Sonic blindly rushes Olimar.
While Olimar's fsmash is really good, it does not cover his dead angle which Sonic can exploit.
Considering Sonic can also spinshot, the Fsmash is not the problem as it is more his grabs.
I rarely get hit by Fsmashes.
its the grabs that hurt
I'll have to check out ASC priority and see what does what with what ^_^
blindly rushing olimar is a poor choice to... fsmash >_> it's too good, in fact... it's sakurai good XD
If you're exploiting olimar's dead angle... you think he'll just sit there and take it over and over again? lol.

Anyway I would say even if not 55:45 Olimar.
For several reasons. sonic's bair and ASC have nice angles to their attack. It allows him to go at Olimar's dead angle which is something not many characters can do.
he also can shake pff pikmin as he approaches Olimar whereas most characters MUST stop and shake off the pikmin unless they want to get more damage. At which point it leaves Olimar an opening.
The spring is also an extremely good move.
both when Olimar has respawned and when he is in the air.
Olima is a light character and moves slowly in the air in comparison to other characters. This give Sonic plenty of time to lay a ground spring to restrict Olimar's path to the ground and allow Sonic to maintain pressure.
Bair is good, but incredibly easy to whistle.
already talked about pikimn...
spring is a good move in this match ^^; just use it sparingly.
and yes, olimar is very floaty, but I wouldn't count on him being light as a big advantage... I have amazing DI, and my oliamr lives to 160's regularly... if not 200%'s (by luck). DI is where it's at with olimar. Don't get too excited if you land a kill move... olimar has a pretty good momentum cancel.

You will never punish Olimars pivot grabs. Don't bother, you'll get punished for it.
Pressure Olimar to the edge. Once at the edge he cannot pivot grab safely and so most of the time Olimar will remain a the center of the stage where he can maneuver more easily.
trufax
Off stage olimar can have a hard time because sonic's Fair can outlast the SA frames of the whistle and his extreme speed is just annoying to deal with after being knocked ff sage. He really doesn't allow Olimar time to breath.
But you can aerial dodge through the fair ;)
and yes. agreed

however, Olimar has hardcore camping.
There is VERY little error that can be made around Olimar because he has so much range to his attacks and punishes very harshly.
Hell at 0% you WILL take at least 30% off a single grab. 12% more if you Di improperly or do not spring away.
he does, but some olimar's don't camp 24/7. Just a forewarning ;)
agreed with everything else

One more thing, don't spring away from Olimar.
Not unless you KNOW the move will kill you.
Why?
Olimar WILL land camp you and you'll get grabbed again because Olimar is just that gay.
He doesn't need speed he has massive range.
tru-dat ;) though a bit hyperbolized XD

I would say 60:40 if not for the fact that Sonic has a spring which can keep Olimar in the air and deprive him of pikmin.

RC is the best CP as is brinstar.
deprive of his pikmin O_o? I'm confused. You were doing so well until now, lol.
I've already talked about RC
If you want, just youtube "Fino olimar" and see some matches of my on RC
One of them I CP a G&W there O_O :D CP my *** lol.

Well, I hope I helped some. If not, let the flaming begin. I tried. I won't post a definitive answer on the match-up % until I play an amazing sonic. :D

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fino, I'm almost inclined to refute most of the points you made. You seem to underestimate Sonic's speed and his priority over Olimar.

I'm going to bed though. Maybe tomorrow. >_>

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Fino, you seem to underestimate how bad Olimar's recover is. Even if he uses the whistle he will still be falling, and may be out of range for the tether. Plus it's length Pikmin dependent. You could drop a spring in his path of DI towards the stage as well. Basically his recovery is bad.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just please, give us something besides Kinzer. :urg: I <3 Kinzer.
I was about to say that I thought I actually did something wrong, but then I saw wat u did thar.

I'm sorry I'm such a bad person.

Besides that, I'm going to go read fino~'s helpful spam post, after I take one more look at the Peach boards. XD

Edit: Fino, when I said I thought it wasn't an even matchup, I meant it was in Olimar's advantage, that's why I was giving the heads up to put up a flame shield. :/

Just a misunderstanding, I'm the next most reasonale Sonic on Wi-Fi I'll have you know. :D

I was also talking about attacking Olimar's deadzones, because Sonic can attack from most angles.

Dair covers a steep one, 80 degrees I think.

ASC can be accustomed to fit most attack points, anywhere 0-40 degrees sounds reasonable.

Regardless though, Sonic either picks a blindspot or a pit trap when he has to approach Olimar, I guess it's just up to the Sonic player not to pick the wrong approach.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I'll start out calling 50:50 untill someone shows me why it should be in favour of X character.
I completely understand how you're thinking, but you're probably better off starting the subject of Sonic vs. Olimar in a couple months again. Calling it 50:50 can be misleading to players looking up matchups.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think its in olis favor, because f-smash and grab does cut down a lot of our approach options, and when we dont have options, we get predictable and we all know what happens when sonic gets predictable

Ryan-K

Smash Master
olimar raaaaaaaaaaaapes sonic

olimars grab game is really strong and just doing run away pivot grabs neutralizes alot of sonics game. olimar's stupid priority on his tilts/smashes/pretty much everything **** sonics whatever. sonic can't do anything about olimar because all olimar has to do is grab all game for damage then land a nair/usmash or a purple uthrow or a blue bthrow and not hang around near edges

if sonic wants to camp then he just gets plants thrown at him

you don't have to have bad priority to get outprioritized/outranged by olimar, lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Uhm... so who else feels we should move on by this point?

If the Olimar mains say it's even, I'm going to assume it's even as well, and I see little contridiction between that.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
to be fair olimar players have a reputation for complaining about their character who they have a tendency to think sucks even though hes retardedly good

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
to be fair olimar players have a reputation for complaining about their character who they have a tendency to think sucks even though hes retardedly good
It's frustrating, at least to me, to hear people say that our character is "broken", knowing that most of the competitive community doesn't have a clue about how to abuse his many, many weaknesses. And it's funny to see a person I just destroyed try to use Olimar because they say he's sooo easy to use, and then I continue to **** them into the ground because I know how he works- and they don't.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well I know he isn't broken, but he ain't easy to pick up either... in fact he can't be broken because he has flaws. At least this isn't Ike who gets hard-countered by Olimar.

Sonic can easy attack Olimar's blindspots thanks to his speed and stuff like ASC, granted sometimes the Olimar might be able to pick up on you, but that's only if you get predictable. Since this is Sonic & Olimar at their highest potential... no. Olimar can grab all they want, but unless they're pivot grabs, then it's too easy to get damage on Olimar by that method.

Sonic is better than you give him credit for, and perhaps Malcom has little matchup experience with Olimar.

Not only that, but you're not very convincing with a Falco avi/icon... sorry, but do you have any youtube vids of your Olimar or something I can look into?

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Well I know he isn't broken, but he ain't easy to pick up either... in fact he can't be broken because he has flaws. At least this isn't Ike who gets hard-countered by Olimar.

Sonic can easy attack Olimar's blindspots thanks to his speed and stuff like ASC, granted sometimes the Olimar might be able to pick up on you, but that's only if you get predictable. Since this is Sonic & Olimar at their highest potential... no. Olimar can grab all they want, but unless they're pivot grabs, then it's too easy to get damage on Olimar by that method.

Sonic is better than you give him credit for, and perhaps Malcom has little matchup experience with Olimar.

Not only that, but you're not very convincing with a Falco avi/icon... sorry, but do you have any youtube vids of your Olimar or something I can look into?
Lol, he plays Falco in MELEE.

Remember? That game that's good?

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It's frustrating, at least to me, to hear people say that our character is "broken", knowing that most of the competitive community doesn't have a clue about how to abuse his many, many weaknesses. And it's funny to see a person I just destroyed try to use Olimar because they say he's sooo easy to use, and then I continue to **** them into the ground because I know how he works- and they don't.
1) i didnt say he was broken
2) alot of the ppl who have a tendency to play ur character ***** about him like he sucks. facts *****
3) what weaknesses besides that hes light and has an *** recovery? lol
4) this is brawl everyone is easy to use lol

LOL kinzer good **** judging me off my icons.

sonic can get shielded with all his little tricks and all olimar has to do is run away and pivot grab lol

malcolm is good against olimar u can ask him yourself

i dont have any vids on youtube because new york doesnt record

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Olimar to me is a pretty fun fight. I fought some pretty good ones at Critical Hit 4.5, sorry no vids. the laptop crashed so the vids got erased.
Olimar is like a wall to get past, and especially the blue pikmin, they are tricky. grab game is too good, just like Ryan said. i still say its definitely in Olimar's favor.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Don't blame me, blame the forum for not being able to differentiate between Brawl & Melee.

Besides that, Sonic is the king of punishment, if there is any frames of lag in any attacks, you bet we will find a way to manipulate them.

Let's take for example Olimar's USmash, sure it covers him from above when it comes to any attacks Sonic may have in his arsenal, but even SDR will take care of that.

Standing grabs are countered even by a simple Spring. I'll have you know Olimar can't even get fake SA from his grab, which leaves him open for any non-grounded approach. Then there is ASC.

Grounded Tether is punished by anything but ASC.

Try spamming FSmash and Sonic can easily just SDJ into a Dair or any other aerial.

Pivot grabs have been covered, and Sonic really doesn't have anything to assault him with, but how long before Sonic gets bored of trying to attack that/Olimar gets tired of pivot-grabbing doing nothing because Sonic doesn't recklessly charge in?

Sonic also happens to be great at gimping. Maybe not MK great, but still, it's all too easy.

For everything else, there is Bair.

Trust me, Sonic is better in practice than in theorycrafting.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Besides that, Sonic is the king of punishment, if there is any frames of lag in any attacks, you bet we will find a way to manipulate them.

Let's take for example Olimar's USmash, sure it covers him from above when it comes to any attacks Sonic may have in his arsenal, but even SDR will take care of that.

assuming the olimar doesn't have his head up his *** he wont usmash randomly, if you're above him and he does it he's safe, if you're right in front of him he's safe. it has very little lag for what it does and he's only going to use it either after a throw when it will hit or when it's totally safe

Standing grabs are countered even by a simple Spring. I'll have you know Olimar can't even get fake SA from his grab, which leaves him open for any non-grounded approach. Then there is ASC.

olimar usually pivot grabs but even then standing grab is extremely safe. if you spring olimar has enough time to shield or do whatever because his grab has very little lag. olimar does get fake super armor if he grabs, everyone does -_- olimar can run away and pivot grab on reaction from the spin and assuming sonic doesnt stop since olimar is out of range olimar just blocks the spin

Grounded Tether is punished by anything but ASC.

um why would he do that? are we assuming the olimar has a mental handicap?

Try spamming FSmash and Sonic can easily just SDJ into a Dair.

see above

Pivot grabs have been covered, and Sonic really doesn't have anything to assault him with, but how long before Sonic gets bored of trying to attack that/Olimar gets tired of pivot-grabbing doing nothing because Sonic doesn't recklessly charge in?

see above, noone cares about "boredom" if they're trying to win. if sonic doesnt try to go in then olimar just throws pikmin for small damage till sonic gets tired of getting chipped for no reason for small percent since he has to nair them off. you just admitted sonic can't do anything about olimar's main tool yet you are banking on the fact that the olimar will get bored? LOL

Sonic also happens to be great at gimping. Maybe not MK great, but still, it's all too easy.

doesn't matter, it's more efficient to edgehog in most situations anyway

For everything else, there is Bair.

what do you mean "everything else?" it's not really safe on block lol

Trust me, Sonic is better in practice than in theorycrafting.
yeah because playing boxob and malcolm all the time means i'm just theorycrafting

Top Bottom